It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We're back online again.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Thanks to SO for getting to the heart of the matter so quickly. What is really sad though is how much I got accomplished yesterday
despite the shaking and twitching from withdrawal.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
well it's nice to see ATS up and running again, I hope SO fills us in on the in's and outs of this hack attack. hell I even missed our members

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
lol Yep i even cleaned up my house

wow that thing called a hover is amazing!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar

We're looking into how the attack occurred

My money is on some irritated catholic that didnt like all the pope threads........

Ya think?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
You know it really is Amazing & a Tribute to the Power of the Web - I really was starting to have
“ATS Withdrawal” at a Certain point (not as bad as not having any Internet at all what so ever)!

I really DID start thinking to myself: "That’s it - some Government people finally just had enough of all of the stuff on ATS & decided to Pull the Plug! I wonder if when I get on (If I ever get on again) if All of my Threads & Postings will have been Deleted & Gone with the Wind"? But then I got on just now & everything was back to Normal!

I really was "Generally Relieved"! God I am such a Geeky Nerd!

DENY IGNORANCE FOREVER!!!!

[edit on 20-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

[edit on 20-4-2005 by Seraphim_Serpente]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Chat still refuses to accept my already 871 posts as 200 posts or more.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oblivions void

Originally posted by siriuslyone

Originally posted by ulshadow
i bet the government has something to do with this!!!

I agree totally with this assumption, too much t-ruth being told in here

I'm telling u guys the secret elite military hacker crew got POd bout being outed.....

I'm with you guys:
4/19 - 4/20: Waco, Oaklahoma City,Columbine, Hitler's birthday ... no better timing to launch an attack on a theory website, esp. with the recent Weise incident...only a 9/11 cyber-attack could rival today & yesterday's dates in inauspiciousness.
Superb job SO getting the Antimatrix back online.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
SS see this thread about the chat room

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Stay calm.. we are working on an ATS IV drip for our more addicted members.. Available through online prescription or through your more conspiracy thinking doctors soon.

This should help those who are so addicted get through the occasional down time that these massive discussions will face in the future.

Also works well for those addicted members who will travel or otherwise be away from ATS.

Avoid the panic.. save the crisis.. ATS Drip is coming soon!!

Gazz

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Glad to see its back up, whats bizarre is a number of sites went down yesterday all at the same time, exact same time. Someone I know said it was web wide attack using 'packets'? or something. So when I just read that it was down because of an attack (and not just SO tripping on the server wire lmao), it is of a concern.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by picard_is_actually_a_grey
Glad to see its back up, whats bizarre is a number of sites went down yesterday all at the same time, exact same time. Someone I know said it was web wide attack using 'packets'? or something. So when I just read that it was down because of an attack (and not just SO tripping on the server wire lmao), it is of a concern.

Hmmmmm... 2 other sites which I go to daily (,both on dedicated servers,) were also messing up yesterday. One of them is still down today, and the other was back up in less then 2 hours.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Glad to see the ATS forums back on, for sure. It's strangely coincidence that it happened on the day that the new Pope was elected and revealed to the world.

Hope whoever did the hacking and smacking the ATS site get caught.

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
If this happened all over the web, maybe this is a bad sign?

An omen of some sorts?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's so good to see ATS back. Good Job SO

It's the new Popes fault. Thought this site was unhackable or atleast close.

I played with some numbers while ATS was down. Look at this

I used american numerology A=1 B=2 C=3 and so on

New Pope

His age = 78
Benedict XVI = 78

both of these numbers can be added together 7+8 = 15, 1+5=6

So his age breaks down to 6 and chosen name Benedict XVI is 6.

Next I calculated his name, Joseph Ratzinger = 195, 1+9+5=15, 1+5=6

Anyway, I thought this was suppose to be the good Pope, so why all the 6's

Oh had to add this, the post number for my post ends in 78. Below
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Just a coincidence?

[edit on 20-4-2005 by Ycon]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
*finally back in the land of aTS*

Great job, SO. We were only in withdrawal, you had the huge job of fixing it!!!!

Wow, what a long day this has been. It's good to see everyone back.
And to all you lucky devils who COULD post of ID
cuz I can't login there for some weird reason that the folks there haven't figured out yet. I looked longingly at your posts, finally going and renting something called a DVD

*walks away wondering what other technology has been invented while I've been on ATS*

[edit on 20-4-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Kudos to SO for getting the site back up quikly and smoothly.

Next time maybe on the "The discussion forum will be down for serveral hours" substitute screen, you could put the phone numbers of counselling centers in major countries. I'm sure some members could use it...including myself.

With ATS down, I actually rediscovered my life! I finished a whole two pages on my website, I went to the gym, I hung out with friends in real life instead of online, I got things done at work, I cut down on smoking and coffee...and I therefore had a revelation: ATS is KILLING ME!! DAMN YOU, ATS DEMON SPAWN! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

PS: Is it just me or are load times much faster since the return?

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
i knoew something was up when it said "www.abovetopsecret.com"
i saw like somebody didnt like what someone posted................

oh well at least we're back

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I was in chat for about 2 or 3 hours after the site went down but no one else could get in me hellmutt and djhonsto were the only members that could get in. Then my connection dropped and i couldn't get back in. Then a few faithful members of ATS went to valhalls site and used her IRC chat... /nick lmfao Pimp_Jesus lmfao...... .

First they took our bored... then they took our chat... They will not get away with this! They shall be punished!! Go get 'em skeptic!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Someone I know said it was web wide attack using 'packets'? or something.

Probably your friend was referring to the 'packets' that make up all the traffic on the Internet. These are the packets that TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) uses to deliver everything on the web.

Basically, every 'infected' computer connected to the web will obey commands given to it. So if your computer is hijacked (by your opening an email wrongly or whatever), a hacker could use it to continuously bombard a target site with a million requests, thereby shutting it down. This is called denial of service attack and the largest documented one involved something around 30,000 computers. NOTE: That's 30,000 computers infected with a single specific program/virus which has a specific instruction that wakes it up to do it's dirty work. Maybe your friend was referring to a DOS attack?

This situation sounds different. The original post says there was massive database corruption, but what was the cause of it? It's not hard to corrupt a DB if you can trick it into overwriting certain sectors but you still have to gain accesss to the server. Every database has a sword of damocles command hanging over its head and cutting the thread is as easy as however hard it is to gain access. I'm impressed at SO's discipline in regards to backups. 24 hours of lost data is considered a major success of your backup methodology. Well done, SO.

Here's the latest threat list from Symantec. No database viruses in the last couple days, but the ATS bug could have been a program which was inserted at any time in the past. I guess it's a subject for RATS anyway.

securityresponse.symantec.com...

[edit on 20-4-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
You guys run mysql or postgresql? Reason I ask is I've never heard of a mysql db getting corrupted. A assume it isn't a windows based db
I take that back. It corrupted... is it a windows based db? lol

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join