It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live: President Trump Addresses Libertarian National Convention In D.C. – 5/25/24

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mahogani

Yea, this group wasn’t going to like him. So props for going there and facing it without backing down.

His policies didn’t fit in with libertarian ideology, so it was brazen to go when others didn’t.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Ok. Just getting back home.

Trump got a lot of cheers in last ten - 15 minutes.

Said he would end Department of Education. He should have lead with this one. Lots of cheers

No state digital currency got cheers.

Milk toast against who said Biden should put before congress. But he did say he would repeal it day 1 if Biden passes.

Came out against vaccines/mandates and got cheers. That seemed a change from his stance before maybe he’s wising up.

He should have reversed his speech, guess he was trying to save best for end type effect but alienated his audience repeatedly saying 3 percent etc.

I think this was his first real reality check. They booed things he did bad - example guns.

He can learn from this. But will he?

Made a lot of promises which I doubt he will follow through with after very mixed reaction. He got a lot of boos, and he got a lot of cheers. Will his ego accept or will he get mad?

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: pianopraze

Trump is smart.

He doesn't need to convince republicans to vote for him, he needs libertarians and democrats to vote for him.

Yet nikki haley was still getting 20% of the votes in the Republican primaries even months after she dropped out. So I’m pretty sure theirs still quite a few Republicans he hasn’t convinced.

I got to be honest here, don’t think the libertarians were all that impressed with him either…

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Trump is smart.

He doesn't need to convince republicans to vote for him, he needs libertarians and democrats to vote for him.

I agree. Was wise move but will his ego withstand the reaction he received?

His Maga party seems more libertarian side of Republicans. I am not MAGA but sympathetic for their plight in the Republican Party. Hope they take over party. Regular Republican just different side of same coin as democrats.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

I just said a day or so ago that DJT was the closest thing to Ron Paul I see. I am for liberty Zanti. Limited Gov was the plan with our founding fathers. I am real good with that plan.

I would say that’s Vivek, not Trump.

But I do not trust him yet. I have very jaded hope he proves he’s real as time goes on.

I think he is who trump was referring to as placing in his cabinet or high position vague promises.
edit on 25-5-2024 by pianopraze because: Autocorrect changed vague to caged.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

I just said a day or so ago that DJT was the closest thing to Ron Paul I see. I am for liberty Zanti. Limited Gov was the plan with our founding fathers. I am real good with that plan.

Ron Paul wanted to end the Fed and get the federal government on a path of fiscal responsibility.

Donald Trump did bailouts for companies and individuals while reducing taxes but not spending (even pre COVID)

I don’t see the similarities.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I wonder if the crowd was 'seeded' a bit.......

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Trump is smart.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Perhaps, but probably not. As a libertarian, I can attest that most of us want him to go away.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625

Trump is smart.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I think he got votes tonight.

He will laugh his way to the finish line if enough libertarian/independents vote for him.

… and he overcomes cheating.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   

What neither Democrats or Republicans seem to truly understand is libertarians are not left or right. We have people from both far left to far right. And a lot like me in the middle.

We are looking more at the authoritarian vs liberty up and down axis.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Trump is smart.

Then why can't he use the word ambidextrous correctly in a sentence?

And why does he think dropping magnets in water makes them go kaput?

If that equates to smart ideocracy must really be the colour of the day.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

He will laugh his way to the finish line if enough libertarian/independents vote for him.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOL

No. This is so sad to watch.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:51 PM
link   

What neither Democrats or Republicans seem to truly understand is libertarians are not left or right. We have people from both far left to far right. And a lot like me in the middle.

I feel like after the 70’s and 80’s you saw the trend of “socially left, fiscally right”. Libertarian about as close as it gets for those people.

As you pointed out, I think the biggest thing for the group as a whole is being against authoritarian type policy making. But id imagine what’s tied or a close second is fiscal responsibility.

I’d be willing to bet more libertarian people lean right on the political compass, and there have been times the Republicans benefit from that. But the libertarian party is becoming increasingly more tired of the two major parties. Trump at least talks out against establishment politicians, but many people look at his policy and still don’t see how it ties in with their main voting issues. He may still be the lesser of two evils, but that doesn’t mean they have to celebrate him.
edit on 25-5-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Euronymous2625

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL LOLOL

No. This is so sad to watch.

It was extremely painful to watch.

I was a little embarrassed at first as it seemed rude. I hate rudeness.

But the more I think about it I am glad.

We really held his feet to the fire for his hypocrisy. If he listens to the responses on each issue he can learn a lot. It could be the most honest mirror he might ever receive. So we did him a favor - if he can listen.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I feel like after the 70’s and 80’s you saw the trend of “socially left, fiscally right”. Libertarian about as close as it gets for those people.

As you pointed out, I think the biggest thing for the group as a whole is being against authoritarian type policy making. But id imagine what’s tied or a close second is fiscal responsibility.

I’d be willing to bet more libertarian people lean right one the political compass, and there have been times the Republicans benefit from that. But the libertarian party is becoming increasingly more tired of the two major parties. Trump at least talks out against establishment politicians, but many people look at his policy and still don’t see how it ties in with their main voting issues. He may still be the lesser of two evils, but that doesn’t mean they have to celebrate him.

I absolutely agree.

I am close to giving up on voting. 30 plus years of not getting anyone I really wanted in office. Extremely black pilled and have almost no hope at this point.

If I was not so disabled I would run for office myself.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I fully feel the frustration. It’s hard not to be cynical when things continue to go the same direction even when there’s glimpses of promise.

I think it’s important to be true to what we believe though.

Ultimately I have to remind myself that in democratic type systems, the more popular ideas win. Unfortunately, libertarian isn’t the most popular even though I find it the most sensible.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I fully feel the frustration. It’s hard not to be cynical when things continue to go the same direction even when there’s glimpses of promise.

I think it’s important to be true to what we believe though.

Ultimately I have to remind myself that in democratic type systems, the more popular ideas win. Unfortunately, libertarian isn’t the most popular even though I find it the most sensible.

It’s the only one I can support as I’m too… ocd? Stubborn? Consistent? Repulsed?

I can’t nail down an accurate word.

Both D and R can celebrate their wins. I’ve never had one. My whole 50 + year life. So I’m jaded and frustrated.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:27 PM
link   
What type of person goes to something that they hate so much?

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Eh, they don’t win though. They win the popularity contest and get screwed like the rest of us.

If you separate the left vs right context from a conversation with an average American, and you ask if the country has been going in the right direction, I’d say a vast majority say hell no.

So both parties have held power almost equal share of time and have continued to steer the country in the wrong direction. Every once in a while, either side gets a good showman to rally up the belief, but I think deep down everyone knows.

I voted for Trump on 2016, and while I didn’t have full support in him like I did Paul, I felt like we as a nation got closer since he actually won and got the seat. But alas, I saw the same politician results as most of the rest. And while I’d admit there are others who are worse, and he is not in fact Hitler or more authoritarian than those before him. It still sucked that I had put stock in him, even knowing it was outside of my belief structure.

And honestly, the libertarian party isn’t without its flaws. We had Gary Johnson which was embarrassing.

It’s why I try so hard to not get caught up in dogma. At the end of the day if I am libertarian, it means I vehemently rely on individualism over institutions who try and sway my opinion. I can take things issue by issue, person by person without relying on “the party line”.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join