It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man fined $600 for "body slamming" an Orca

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadedGhost

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: nugget1
I'd like to see him try that in someplace where orcas are attacking boats, like the Strait of Gibraltar, Gulf of Cadiz or the North Atlantic Ocean.

Yeah, he probably picked on female orcas with their young to look after. GO TRY IT ON THE MALE ORCAS LOOKING FOR ACTION.

I’m happy to be proved wrong here, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t any recorded case of a wild orca attacking a human.

There's 1 attack here in the wild of someone being bitten and one here about a family escaping an attack on the raft and I remember reading about one that happened in the 1930s or 1940s. The one that happened in the 30s or 40s I seem to remember them saying the guy was swimming near seals and might have been mistaken

On June 15, 1972, the hull of the 13-metre-long (43 ft) wooden schooner Lucette was damaged by a pod of orcas and sank approximately 320 kilometres (200 mi) west of the Galapagos Islands.Dougal Robertson and his family of five escaped to an inflatable life raft and a dinghy.

On September 9, 1972, Californian surfer Hans Kretschmer reported being bitten by an orca at Point Sur; most maintain that this remains the only fairly well-documented instance of a wild orca biting a human

There's several more attacks at this link mostly to do with boats and the orcas sinking the boats. There's also an attack from 1989 where a man on the beach said the orca launched at him but missed him by about 1 meter but there was seals in the area so might have been a mistake.

en.m.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Dougal%20Robertson%20and%20his%20family,wild%20orca%20biting%20a%20human.
edit on 24-5-2024 by TheMisguidedAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:10 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Most predators don’t instinctively consider humans as a food source accept Polar bears and large crocodiles, they’ll still attack though if antagonized or they’re particularly hungry. Even most large herbivore’s will attack humans if cornered or especially if you get between the mother and baby… yet not wild Orcas.

From what I've learned over the many decades about what we know about orcas, it's almost nothing.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

This guy is as Dumb as his Deseased Uncle was back in 1988 when he Bailed on his Girlfriend and got his Just Desserts.......

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I'd like to see him try that in someplace where orcas are attacking boats, like the Strait of Gibraltar, Gulf of Cadiz or the North Atlantic Ocean.

I was reading about those attacks, over 500 is pretty crazy.

From 2020 to 2023, there were at least five hundred reports of orcas attacking boats off the Atlantic coast of Spain and Portugal, an unusual and unprecedented behaviour

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Yeah, he probably picked on female orcas with their young to look after. GO TRY IT ON THE MALE ORCAS LOOKING FOR ACTION.

I’m happy to be proved wrong here, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t any recorded case of a wild orca attacking a human.

You're wrong. lol I don't know about wild orcas, but Tillikum killed three people, tow of them trainers at Sea World.

They're not known to be agressive as a rule, but abusing any animal can chane 'normal' to 'deadly' in a flsh.

Tillikum was abused for decades by being kept in captivity, in unhealthy and too small of a habitat and forced to perform on command.

The problem of whales attacing boaters is increasing, 'baffling' researchers. lol Whales are highly intellegent and capable of communicating with each other. Perhaps they're done playing the gentle giant role and have decided to fight back.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Actually, in those cases where Orcas attack and sink boats around Gibraltar they don't bother the humans who get tossed in the water. They pretty much ignore them. There's no sport in going after humans. They seem to like the fun of sinking boats.

I can appreciate that.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Wish the Orca had eaten the mofo... to serve as an example for others to not mess with them!

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 10:54 PM
link   
A fool and their money shall soon part. I read that somewhere years ago...maybe it was in the bible or some religious book.

posted on May, 24 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   
If you piss off an animal, it might go after someone else. It is a known thing.

Orcas are by nature pretty friendly, but if you abuse them or they are sick, they have little patients. They are not dumb animals. I think it was rude for that guy to jump on the orca especially when it had a kid with it, it could make those orcas and others they communicate with go after people.

I have seen videos of sharks that are in the waves with surfers, they seem to enjoy running the wave with them and do not harm them....if someone riles those sharks up, they may attack the surfers. This goes for all animals, even a squirrel can get irate if it is mistreated. And I can tell you, a pissed off squirrel is not harmless either, they scratch and bite. I knew someone who had a squirrel attack him, it was a trip to the ER for the scratches and bites, their neighbor used to harass that squirrel. That incident was from over fifty years ago, I have seen other animals that were mistreated go after people over the years too.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Odds are good alcohol played a part.
What a douchebag.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TheMisguidedAngel

If I were the judge I'd give him 6 months in prison along with a larger fine as a warning to other idiots who might consider trying what he did then scale the sentence up for any further idiots.

Stupid is as stupid does , nip it in the bud.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Its not a fish.
Its a Mammal.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 06:41 AM
link   

why are so many people born with the word - PRAT... on their forehead these days?

I'm sure there's a joke can be made out of that question.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   

You're wrong. lol I don't know about wild orcas, but Tillikum killed three people, tow of them trainers at Sea World.

They're not known to be agressive as a rule, but abusing any animal can chane 'normal' to 'deadly' in a flsh.

Tillikum was abused for decades by being kept in captivity, in unhealthy and too small of a habitat and forced to perform on command.

The problem of whales attacing boaters is increasing, 'baffling' researchers. lol Whales are highly intellegent and capable of communicating with each other. Perhaps they're done playing the gentle giant role and have decided to fight back.

Yeah not wrong, I’ve seen Blackfish, so I’m aware what killer whales in captivity have done. That’s why I said wild orcas.

Also they’re predators and can be quite aggressive, they’ve been known to attack boats, they’ll spend many hours attacking large whale mothers to absolute exhaustion so they can feed on the tongue and lower jaw of the calf. They’ll also keep small prey like penguins and seals alive so they can taunt and play with it for many hours.

Yet with all that no recorded cases of wild killer whales attacking humans… except for one single case another poster pointed out where a swimmer was bitten after been mistaken for a seal.
edit on 25-5-2024 by JadedGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheMisguidedAngel

Edit- it's too bad the mother Orca didn't take a bite out of his toes.

Would an Orca even hardly know if he jumped on her? Lol, that is so stupid as Orcas eat Great Whites, so I call it an almost Darwin Award. BTW who is to fine the guy anyways...is there some do-not-touch Orca's $600 fine signs around?

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 08:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Most predators don’t instinctively consider humans as a food source accept Polar bears and large crocodiles, they’ll still attack though if antagonized or they’re particularly hungry. Even most large herbivore’s will attack humans if cornered or especially if you get between the mother and baby… yet not wild Orcas.

Nah

They are just better disposing of the bodies.

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Like a typical bully coward

posted on May, 25 2024 @ 10:52 AM
link   
We have 2024's First Darwin Award Candidate!!
(no he didn't die yet, give him time he's trying)

Jumping on predators may or may not look good on his CV/Resume?
I can't fathom why the Judge gave him the equilivent of a slap on the wrist. It sent a very bad message, legally it sets a worst precedent. TiK-Tok-ers can now feel free to "Up The Stupid" for 600 pounds.

As much as I think decent behavior can't be achieved thru legislation, a stunt like this deserves this man a summer's worth of community serice at Yellowstone National Park.

posted on May, 26 2024 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Wait, I'm confused. How could the man have harmed the whale? Just watched the video. Looks like an ordinary man, in a bathing suit, jumping into the water next to an Orca whale. It's a massive, fairly resilient sea creature. I'm pretty sure the man in the bathing suit isn't going to injure the whale or calf simply by jumping into the water next to them.

I don't understand how or why this is whale abuse, and the article doesn't really mention any specifics, other than to say that Orcas are a protected species.

Maybe if he had kicked it all hard, and was wearing boots or something, I could see the anger at it. Tried to cut the whale with a knife, or otherwise injure it. He just jumped into the water next to a mama and baby, why is that bad?

Not that it's an activity I'd recommend. I don't need to pet a buffalo to prove that I'm a man or anything like that. If I wanted to swim with the dolphins or the sharks or whatever though, seems wrong for authorities to say that I can't.

That's public health for you I guess. Suck the fun right out of everything. First it's whales, next thing you know there's no skateboarding allowed and you can't stay out late anymore.

posted on May, 27 2024 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: alwaysbeenhere2

Its not a fish.
Its a Mammal.

Чего?

Did I call it a fish somewhere? I went through my posts but don't see that?
edit on 27-5-2024 by TheMisguidedAngel because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join