It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning New Frescos Excavated in Pompeii

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The frescoes were discovered in the banqueting room of a building that is now part of the largest archaeological dig of Pompeii in recent times , they show scenes from Greek mythology and were last seen nearly 2,000 years ago.

Paris kidnaps Helen , so starting the Trojan wars , by the look on the cat's face he knows what's to come.

Apollo attempting to seduce the Trojan priestess Cassandra.

Helen's mother Leda with Zeus in the form of a swan.

The dominant theme seems to be that of heroism, shown by the depictions of pairs of heroes and deities involved in the Trojan War, but also of fate and, at the same time, of the possibility, often not seized, that humans have of changing their own destiny.

As well as Helen and Paris, indicated in a Greek inscription placed between the two figures with his other name “Alexandros”, there is the figure of Cassandra, the daughter of Priam, who is depicted on the walls of the dining room together with Apollo. In Greek mythology Cassandra was renowned for her gift of foresight and her terrible fate which prevented her from altering the course of future events. Despite her ability to predict the future, no one believed her as a result of a curse that Apollo put upon her for refusing to give herself to him, and she was therefore unable to prevent the tragic events of the Trojan War that she had foreseen. After being raped during the capture of Troy, she would end up being a slave of Agamemnon at Mycenae.

The frequent presence of mythological figures in the paintings of living rooms and dining rooms of Roman houses had the explicit social function of entertaining guests and table companions, providing talking points for conversations and reflections on life.
pompeiisites.org... he-new-excavations/

edit on 11-4-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Fabulous find and I once had the opportunity to join an art group to travel to a monastery in Spain to learn how to paint frescos on the walls there, but life got in my way.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I first visited Pompeii when I was 13 in 1976. I revisited again with my family to see in the Millenium and there was a heap more to see then. Looks like I'll have to go again! Next time I would also like to visit hellenium.
Thank you for the thread, excellent news.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Never been so I'm jealous but it is a bucket list destination so perhaps one day.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
The frescoes were discovered in the banqueting room of a building that is now part of the largest archaeological dig of Pompeii in recent times , they show scenes from Greek mythology and were last seen nearly 2,000 years ago.

Paris kidnaps Helen , so starting the Trojan wars , by the look on the cat's face he knows what's to come.

Apollo attempting to seduce the Trojan priestess Cassandra.

Helen's mother Leda with Zeus in the form of a swan.

The dominant theme seems to be that of heroism, shown by the depictions of pairs of heroes and deities involved in the Trojan War, but also of fate and, at the same time, of the possibility, often not seized, that humans have of changing their own destiny.

As well as Helen and Paris, indicated in a Greek inscription placed between the two figures with his other name “Alexandros”, there is the figure of Cassandra, the daughter of Priam, who is depicted on the walls of the dining room together with Apollo. In Greek mythology Cassandra was renowned for her gift of foresight and her terrible fate which prevented her from altering the course of future events. Despite her ability to predict the future, no one believed her as a result of a curse that Apollo put upon her for refusing to give herself to him, and she was therefore unable to prevent the tragic events of the Trojan War that she had foreseen. After being raped during the capture of Troy, she would end up being a slave of Agamemnon at Mycenae.

The frequent presence of mythological figures in the paintings of living rooms and dining rooms of Roman houses had the explicit social function of entertaining guests and table companions, providing talking points for conversations and reflections on life.
pompeiisites.org... he-new-excavations/

Fascinating!….But I see a dog, I don’t know where you see a cat.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: GalacticNight

Yeah probably a dog I was thinking maybe a young lion , looks concerned regardless.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

have been there twice. a magical place. also for pink floyd fans.(; the surrounding area is no less magical: naples and the amalfi coast.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Cassandra’s face says it all. Glad you’re gifted in other areas Apollo.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Very nice finds!

lol at Poor Applo trying to seduce the poor lady with that unit. Not much godhood to behold there.
She is face palming at the sight of that olive.

I also like frowning people with frowning dog and frowning owner.

edit on 11-4-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It really is well worth it.

A lot of walking mind!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: malte86

Amalfi coast is spectacular. Loved Amalfi and Positano.
What's the Pink Floyd link?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

What's the Pink Floyd link?

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Aha! I did wonder if it was that. Thank you.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Did Pompeii really happen that long ago ! There was talk years ago of a painting from the 1600s being found that showed the street layout exactly like it was when they could never have known what it looked like under all the lava .
stolenhistory.net...

edit on 11/4/2024 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The artist captured the Italian noses pretty well.

I may be a Finn, but I have had some Italian friends over the years.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Gort your contributions here deserve far more than I can give you.

SnF for all you do.

Side note: Respect for those who resist the temptation of
making fun of 2000 YO junk.

edit on 11-4-2024 by Astrocometus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I always thought you were a American RM

Hyvaa huomenta

I was friendly with some Finnish ladies from Espoo many decades ago , I even had a stab at learning the language but being dyslexic it was a nightmare, I struggle with English .

It is one of the hardest languages to learn , one line in English took 4 lines in Finnish and if her father who did not talk english answered the phone I had to go to another set of lines to read out .

A very liberated place , I got laughed at for putting a towel on after a shower , they were walking about buck naked

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Texastruth2
Cassandra’s face says it all. Glad you’re gifted in other areas Apollo.

I understood that indoor marble walls/floors create a sort of cooling effect, so let's give Apollo the benefit of the doubt. lol

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

originally posted by: rickymouse

I always thought you were a American RM

Hyvaa huomenta

I was friendly with some Finnish ladies from Espoo many decades ago , I even had a stab at learning the language but being dyslexic it was a nightmare, I struggle with English .

It is one of the hardest languages to learn , one line in English took 4 lines in Finnish and if her father who did not talk english answered the phone I had to go to another set of lines to read out .

A very liberated place , I got laughed at for putting a towel on after a shower , they were walking about buck naked

I'm a yooper Finn. I only know swearwords and of course, I know from experience how to pronounce bad boy in Finnish.

My parents and grandparents along with my other relatives knew how to speak finn. When I was young I knew not to learn it because most times they were talking about things they did not want us to hear when they were speaking Finn. I got in enough trouble without hacking their secret language.
When they spoke in Finn all of us kids took off because we learned that they might be mad at us and if we bugged them they would yell at us.

posted on Apr, 12 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   

edit on 4/12/2024 by yeahright because: Mod edit for Spam

<<   2 >>

join