It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newest Darwin award grand prize winner.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Doctors. So smart they can't read. Here we have a mother/daughter, doctor/PhD candidate combo and still.

So the doctor is riding in the airstream while it is being towed. Youre not supposed to do that. Airstream says you're not supposed to do that.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

'Airstream travel trailers are not designed to carry passengers while in motion. The safety protocol detailed in Airstream’s operating manuals and shared on Airstream’s website advises owners that they cannot tow an Airstream with people inside.

'Many states prohibit carrying passengers in a travel trailer or fifth wheel, and we advise owners to consult their state’s Department of Motor Vehicles for up-to-date regulations.'

But of course the doctor knows better right? And her PhD candidate daughter.

Here is what the daughter said regarding this

'Sure, maybe Airstream doesn’t advise traveling inside the trailer. But we thought maybe that the last 20 minutes of an eight-hour drive on very quiet and slow country roads would be fine.

'And it’s perfectly legal to do so in some states. It was just a crazy accident. 

Well words are important. It isn't that Airstream doesn't "advise" riding in the trailer while in motion. They say you cannot tow the trailer with people inside and they are not designed to carry passengers while in motion.

and "perfectly legal" in some states to tow a trailer with passengers, Airstream told you not to and oh wait, what is the law in the state you were in?

It is illegal to tow passengers in an Airstream in New York State, in addition to being something the company warns against.

The family is alleging this is a safety oversight in the design of the Airstream. I think they're hoping for a big payday. The door flew open while driving on Route 12 E. I dont know what that is sounds like a country two lane highway to me. Anyway. They're claiming the doors open to the inside which is unsafe and they should open toward the outside. Well maybe that is why Airstream says the trailer is NOT DESIGNED TO CARRY PASSENGERS WHILE TOWING. NOT DESIGNED. So no, the door shouldn't open whatever way you think it should open. It should open however Airstream designed it to open and people should read and follow instructions.

Is it Airstream’s fault these people either couldn't read or thought they knew better than the company and the law?

Real curious on how you manage to spend 130,000 on an Airstream and don't even bother to read the owners manual.
edit on 10-4-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Yeah Darwin Award.
And yeah, sounds like they are looking for a payout.
Judges/Juries are so stupid .. they just might get it.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 06:02 AM
link   
That sounds similar to a Winnebago insident I heard of. A guy bought one new. He was driving home on the freeway alone when he turned on the cruise control and went to the kitchen area to make a cup of coffee. I don't know if he survived. The Winnebago did not.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Airstream doors open outward and the wind would force them closed, unless things have changed since my 2021.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I checked and the Winnebago incident is older that that movie. Also, it more or less disintegrated. They had to carry it off in dumpsters.

It might have inspired that scene though.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Airstream doors open outward and the wind would force them closed, unless things have changed since my 2021.

I checked and some airstream have the doors with the hinges to the rear. That and opening outwards makes them suicide doors. Not a good idea to play with when moving.

Still, no one should be in a camper trailer while moving.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

Could be, movies from 2013 and loosely based around 1980 or thereabouts.

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna
The parts of 12E I have been on are two lane 55mph and hilly.

And...

I was driving on 81S from A-Bay. Brand new RV in front of me so I pass.

I never felt so bad for someone while lmao that hard!

It looks like the guy tried to go through a fast food drive thru...whole top over the driver looked like it hit a can opener.

He was hunched over the wheel, face as red as a fire truck, yelling what I can only assume are words that violate the T&C.

Man, I'm laughing again...thanks for the post!

edit on 10-4-2024 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2024 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2024 @ 08:48 PM
link   
You should never ride in a travel trailer when being towed. That has been a known practice for as long as I can remember. A fifth wheel is attached to the truck and is somewhat better, but a trailer can come off a ball pretty easily, and a travel trailer is worse than a utility trailer if this occurs because it has a higher center of gravity. I personally don't even care to ride in a fifth wheel myself, but it is much safer than a pull behind trailer.

It is not so much an issue of legality to me, I consider it common sense to avoid riding in a trailer being towed. I have seen trailers that came unhitched on side of the road many times and I have had a hitch on a trailer break twice when I was pulling flatbed trailers. Once with a big wood chipper, and another time on a trailer which I was going to pick up supplies with. Both times I was able to control it with the safety chains. Even if you have an expensive hitch system, things can still happen. A blowout on a trailer can also cause a jackknife to occur sometimes...I have seen that happen a few times, one time the truck towing the trailer was coming towards me and I had to take the shoulder to avoid hitting the trailer that swayed into my lane.

There is no way that someone should be able to sue the company when the instructions clearly state not to ride in the trailer. That rule in the manual is not limited to just states where it is illegal, no matter which state you are in there should not be anyone riding in a towed trailer.

posted on Apr, 11 2024 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Wait they lived? This isn’t any Darwin Award at all

These are mere aspirants

To win the prestigious Darwin one must challenge natural selection head on and lose.
a reply to: Shoshanna

join