It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alice in Chains/live performance/real talent appreciation thread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 10:29 AM
link   
One of my favorite bands is Alice in Chains.

Jerry is such a cutie! And probably one of the most underrated musicians ever. Pre heroin Layne Staley had a talent i would say almost as great as my fave Karen. If you haven't heard this live performance of Man in the Box from 1990, you should.

Yes. I did just compare Layne Staley to Karen Carpenter. No I'm not drunk. Both enormous talents. Both taken from us far too soon.

Who are your guys favorite live performers? It seems like real talent is hard to come by these days.

Pearl Jam's performance of Jeremy on MTV unplugged is amazing too. I think its better than the album.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I love them as well.
A guy I went to school with was in a band that did all the Alice In Chain hits.
Would give you goosebumps.

I brought a guy I used to work with to see them, didn't tell him what they played.

He was floored.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 10:55 AM
link   
For me they came about right after high school and I had been playing guitar a year or two. I loved them and learned to play a ton of their songs. It sucked when Layne got let go then died. They really tried, but I know the pull all too well.
I listened to down in a hole in my trip through rehab on loop. I felt like Layne was with me, and I’ve made it out of the hole. I love em, thanks for celebrating them.
My favorite live AIC is “Sludge Factory” on MTV unplugged.

Ps-If I knew how to post vids I would. haha
edit on 3/29/2424 by Texastruth2 because: (no reason given)

youtu.be...
edit on 3/29/2424 by Texastruth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Texastruth2

Thats one of my faves too I love when he f's up and you can really see the camaraderie between him and Jerry. That's live music anybody can make a mistake, even the greats. Get to see a glimpse of Layne's funny personality too.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Yes! And when he starts over he puts more in it and doesn’t miss a note. Badasses. I wanted to be like Jerry on the guitar

I use to play live acoustic gigs all around here and my set list was to play as much rock as I could get away with. Around my parts it’s the Texas Music scene that got you all the best gigs. I even played a few AIC. I have an old vid I put on YouTube for the bars to go listen at when I would book. Most didn’t get any views because copyrights at that time. Like this is an old AIC youtu.be...

I have a harmonizor on to “try” to get more of that songs harmonies.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Texastruth2

Thats so cool! I wish I could learn guitar. Have tried and failed. I have terrible hand eye coordination I think that plays a part in it. You're talented though I listened to some of your other vids too its such a shame people with real talent aren't pushed by the media as much as these pre packaged "stars" are. Do you not play as much anymore? Your post made it seem like you don't play as much anymore.

posted on Mar, 29 2024 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I have to admit, Alice in Chains grew on me quite quickly and pretty much defined my first four years in the military.

"Jar of Flies" was incredibly profound to me and I would listen to that LP front to back with no problem. "God Am" is one of the best songs they recorded in opinion. "Whale and Wasp" really highlighted their vast range and diversity. I honestly can't think of any of their work as being bad or a turn off.

You share , I share, lol. I'm a devout -TOOL- fan and one of their best filmed live performances focuses entirely on their percussionist Danny Carey. I say percussionist because there are plenty of drummers, but not many that are like Stewart Copeland, Neil Pert, etc.

Danny is a phenomenon you have to witness live to appreciate his enormous talent. Here's a video of a live performance of "Pneuma" from their latest release "Fear Innoculum".

The style, intensity and technical prowess is astonishing. Danny is truly ambidextrous and what he can do is very difficult if your not just as pliable. Enjoy, thanks for sharing, you have great taste!

Mr. Carey:
m.youtube.com...

edit on 29-3-2024 by VariedcodeSole because: eta

posted on Mar, 30 2024 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Thanks so much, that means a lot.
I haven’t played in several years. The wife didn’t like me out in the bars late night and just kinda got busy with other stuff. But I do still play at home and at the fire station some. I’ll hear something that I just have to learn or relearn. Last one was two weeks ago, Rage Against the Machine- Maggie’s Farm.

new topics

top topics

join