It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country singer Toby Keith dead at 62

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 04:43 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Country singer Toby Keith died Monday at the age of 62, his family wrote in a statement posted to his website and social media accounts early Tuesday.

"Toby Keith passed away peacefully last night on February 5th, surrounded by his family," the statement read.

"He fought his fight with grace and courage," it continued. "Please respect the privacy of his family at this time."

I honestly thought he was doing better, but you can never tell with cancer. He was one of my favorite country music performers of the last decade. He wrote and sang some great songs and he'll be missed in the world of country music.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Damn, I didn't know he suffered from stomach cancer for 3 years *RIP*

I've always enjoyed his music...very positive, fun and true to country.

It goes to show life is short...doesn't matter if it is 50, 60, or up to 100...just try to be healthy and live life to its fullest.

Thank you for sharing S&F

Toby Keith's Greatest 10 Hits

With over 20 albums, 60 singles, and countless awards, he established himself as a legend in the genre.

His songs range from patriotic anthems to humorous hits, from romantic ballads to rowdy tunes. Toby was known for his distinctive voice, his catchy hooks, and his outspoken lyrics.

edit on 6-2-2024 by Skywatcher2011 because: added notes

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 07:15 AM
link   

was just going to post this, it's very sad news. i really enjoyed his tunes and thought the man was one of the best in country music.

a couple of my favorites.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 07:38 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am not a pop country fan. But I liked TK and his music.

Back when he was just starting out, he did a tour of radio stations for listener concerts. He came to my area, I worked as an engineer at the station, and worked the show.

My boss said I was getting ok...wanna mix a couple tunes? I almost yelled yes!

I got to mix 3 songs in the middle of the set. By the end of song 3, I had lost all control and had feed back. Boss took back over. I was very embarrassed.

After the show, I apologized to TK. He was very gracious....

"Kid, your just learning, it's OK. You got a good ear. Keep it up and your going to be good."

While I got to work with him again, I never got to talk to him again.

So since I can't IRL,

Mr. Keith, thank you for giving a young tech encouragement. I was ready turn the desk off and never touch it again. But your kind words gave me a sliver of hope and I trudged on. I will never forget that day. Rest in Peace, brother. And while you are waiting for the rest of us to join you, will you consider letting me mix for you when I get up there?

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I met Toby Keith, most of his band and Junior Brown about 10 years ago in Kansas City. My ex (married at the time) was a HUIGE fan of TK and I had gotten her tickets to his concert for her birthday. We got there early as it was an all day music venue with various artists. I had a buddy working security that passed word along that there was a vet he knew there that hoped to get an autograph for his wife. TK had us brought backstage for a meet and greet where we a brief conversation, a round of beers and shots and she got an autographed picture, several candid personal pictures and quite a bit of memorabilia (a pick and set sheet from TK and a guitar strap from Junior Brown). TK then made sure we were put into the VIP section for the rest of the day...third row from the stage. It was a great night made even better by Toby. He was truly a down to earth, simple roughneck that knew and was thankful for how lucky he was. RIP

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

You broke through my fortified armour with that post. It wasn't an ugly cry, but close.....

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
a reply to: theatreboy

You broke through my fortified armour with that post. It wasn't an ugly cry, but close.....

I will freely admit I had tears running down my cheeks typing it.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I highly recommend listening to his song “Don’t let the old man in”

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Yeah I thought this was all of a sudden. I hate that. He had some great music.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc4

I highly recommend listening to his song “Don’t let the old man in”

youtu.be...

A song written for Clint Eastwood who coined the term in response to Toby asking him how he keeps going and doing movies. To which Clint responded, "I don't let the old man in."

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Good story. Thanks for sharing. I listened to Toby Keith most my life. Remember his first song I heard on the radio when I was a teenager, "Shoulda Been a Cowboy."

RIP Toby Keith. You'll be back in the resurrection. You had your faith, and I'm sure you are resting soundly in God's memory.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Here's a performance he gave months back. Brought tears to my eyes then and even just now.

Rest in Peace Toby.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I never thought he wouldn't outlive Willie Nelson. Beer for my horses is probably my favorite country song ever. Although some newer ones by others have come close... Hope there's plenty of beer for your horses on the other side Toby... RIP.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 05:35 PM
link   

He shoulda been a cowboy.

RIP Toby.

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: VariedcodeSole
That was very cool.....made me cry but I loved it!

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm glad he is being honored on ATS! TK was also a patriot and loved this country.
My fave song was I Shoulda Been a Cowboy. I was 21 and divorced when it came out and was kinda in panic mode. Thought I'd ruined my life by getting married then divorced so young. When that song came on I always thought of how my life would have been if I'd moved to Montana and cowgirled up..........

posted on Feb, 6 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   
RIP, country music wont be the same without him...

it wasn't sudden, he has had the cancer for almost 3 years, just several months after getting his Covid vax... I actually was amazed he fought it so long! Those turbo cancers usually kill fast.

(post by Euronymous2625 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

<<   2 >>

join