It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Schools, Race and Gender Must Be Taken Into Account Before Disciplining

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 01:16 AM
link   
You may as well just say, different rules for different people.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrucellaOrchitis
a reply to: Annee

I don't think people understand that it is much more challenging for teachers to be inclusive in this way but it really pays dividends. You can try to bash everyone into the same shape, and for teachers that is the easier route but it only favours some and requires you to discard/exclude anyone who does not or cannot conform to that model of teaching (and discipline).

I work with a really young crowd and I see for myself everyday how much of a difference this kind of approach to education makes. The benefits are so obvious as soon as you spend any amount of time with the kind of adults this way of doing things produces. They're the best!

This is a training thing, but you'll get the jist...

Yes.

The dominate crowd on here is still stuck in the 3 "R's" and discipline. I went to school in the 50's. White, Chrisitan, public school. There was no allowance for individual differences.

I've personally experienced the evolution of more "social & cultural teaching" over the years. In my day there was only "middle of the road" -- students on either end of extreme were pretty much ignored.

I've become more in favor of the importance of "social/cultural" over the years.

In my day gender roles were still defined as man/woman -- something I never wish to return to -- it is stifling.

Socially the world is more complex today -- as we've moved out of the confines of Puritan ideology.

I'd say being emotionally healthy should take priority.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   

In those days medical and psychological issues were attended by medical professionals (aka Doctors), not social workers or teachers. The same issues existed then as do now. Now it's just a matter of who leaks the private medical information, and who complains about it. 😀

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: WingDingLuey

In those days medical and psychological issues were attended by medical professionals (aka Doctors), not social workers or teachers. The same issues existed then as do now. Now it's just a matter of who leaks the private medical information, and who complains about it. 😀

And that has what to do with a classroom with considerations for each child?

Did you attend grade school in the 50s?

I’ve personally been through generations of school.

I’ve weighed academics against social/cultural over many years.

I support the need for social/cultural.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: WingDingLuey

And that has what to do with a classroom with considerations for each child?

Did you attend grade school in the 50s?

I’ve personally been through generations of school.

I’ve weighed academics against social/cultural over many years.

I support the need for social/cultural.

I attended elementary school in the 60s...same thing as the 50s.

The teachers in Portland have already identified "District Policy 2.10.010-P (Racial Educational Equity Policy) - This obligates the District and Association to agree to initiatives aimed at raising achievement for all students while closing gaps among different groups of students and eliminating the racial predictability of disparate academic outcomes."

This issue was only recently identified and acted upon, well recently as in my recent memory.

They are keeping step with student wellness and academic success, as they should, as other issues present within a changing social framework.

Here is their Tier III Mental Health...agreement. See the second page on Student Support & Discipline and the next on Mental Health. It explains how they may use alternatives to discipline also to meet unmet needs of the child. They de-escalate and go above and beyond discipline.

assets.nationbuilder.com...
edit on q000000251231America/Chicago3434America/Chicago12 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   

It has everything to do with it. 😀

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sooo what? Equity wins the day unless you’re straight and Caucasian? We’re all equal until we f_ck up. Got it!

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FloridaManMatty
Sooo what? Equity wins the day unless you’re straight and Caucasian? We’re all equal until we f_ck up. Got it!

We do not all have equal opportunity.

Or equal support, or equal quality nutrition, or equal start in life -- not even straight Caucasians.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Or equal support, or equal quality nutrition, or equal start in life -- not even straight Caucasians.

So the answer is to create less equality?

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

So the answer is to create less equality?

Kind of a glass half full question -- don't ya think?

You've chosen the perspective you want to see.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Not at all.

Instead of creating more inequality 'we' should be creating more equality.
Treating someone different simply because of their race or gender is both discriminatory and divisive.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Not at all.

Treating someone different simply because of their race or gender is both discriminatory and divisive.

Life treats them differently.

Society treats them differently.

posted on Dec, 8 2023 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Not at all.

The "Trophies and Blue Ribbons for Everybody" theories have already failed. Mostly because the wrong "judges" were making the decisions. 😀

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 01:15 AM
link   

And society loses out by doing so in the long run.

Robust systems require diversity.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 01:57 AM
link   

The way to equality is by treating everyone equally.
As soon as people are treated differently based on anything be it race, gender, socio-economic background or whatever then it creates discrimination and division.

If people are treated differently by society then change society by making it more equal and not more unequal.

I think that's pretty straight forward.

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 02:18 AM
link   

If people are treated differently by society then change society by making it more equal and not more unequal.

I think that's pretty straight forward.

Please explain how you would do that then please - if it is so straight-forward?

In an unequal society, how would you level the playing field so that freedom and opportunities are accessible to all, no matter their postcode and no matter their economic status? How would that work in the cloud cuckoo land you live in?

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Portland wants equal outcomes ... not equal opportunity. That's Marxism.

There are never going to be equal outcomes because everyone has different backgrounds and makes different decisions in life. Some personal responsibility is required. If someone is black or trans that doesn't effect schoolwork and is irrelevant. They shouldn't get a free ride simply for showing up. If someone comes from an abusive home and that effects their schoolwork, that person shouldn't get a free ride and a passing grade simply for showing up, it's not fair to those who worked for the grade and earned it. The person from an abusive home has to work harder to get the passing grade, with the school helping as much as it can without giving that person a free ride. That's the only right answer.

I don't want to get on an airplane that is made by people who got passing grades simply because they are black or trans, or came from an abusive home. The plane will fall apart. I want to get on an airplane made by people who did the work and learned what they were supposed to in order to make a good airplane.

edit on 12/9/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

With the busing systems haven't US kids been getting a free ride for decades? Lol

Perhaps if you read the document that Quintessone posted you may understand the situation instead of allowing your jerky knee to do all your thinking for you. What Portland teachers have requested is in-line with Federal laws.

www.findlaw.com...

edit on 9-12-2023 by BrucellaOrchitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BrucellaOrchitis

Please explain how you would do that then please - if it is so straight-forward?

I don't know, I've never professed to have all the answers, I'm not that arrogant.

As for it being straight forward, I mean its obvious that giving someone preferential treatment for whatever reason only creates division and is discriminatory.
How on earth does treating someone different purely on their race, creed or gender help anyone?

If we are equal we get treat equal.

That is #ing straight forward; no-one is special and exclusive and deserves special treatment.

Lets start addressing core issues regardless of how sensitive they are for 'special interest' groups.

In an unequal society, how would you level the playing field so that freedom and opportunities are accessible to all,.....

I'd start by dismantling the glass ceiling that prevents people from certain social-economic backgrounds being disadvantaged far more than any specific race, creed or gender nowadays.
A middle-class Black person is afforded far more advantages than an ordinary, everyday working class white person.

That is an undeniable FACT.

As I said, I haven't got the answers, I'm just a regular ill-educated guy from a Council Estate in North East England.

But my life experiences, which are quite considerable, lead me to believe that giving anyone preferential treatment is counter-productive.

How would that work in the cloud cuckoo land you live in?

DC.
I don't live in any 'cloud cuckoo land', I just know what we have at present is # and I'm sick to death of people being afforded some preferential treatment just because of their race, gender or creed.
And there are literally millions like me who have had enough and who are at the tipping point,

posted on Dec, 9 2023 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What is the most admired race gender combination?

What is the most despised race gender combination?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join