It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would the world be in a better environmental situation, if manufacturing was not offshored.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Me thinks the world would be if manufacturing was maintained in their home countries, at least governmental initiatives for environmental protection and emissions could be tightly controlled.

Factories can be easily inspected, and improvements made.

With offshored manufacturing, there is no way to control this. Granted manufacturers lie saying we did this or that to protect the environment in an averseas factory.

We care for the workers. No you do not you want it made for the lowest possible price.

All I see are lies, as they are not held accountable as where the item is made is half a world away.

Most environmental agencies dint have the budget to inspect millions of factories overseas to ensue compliance.

The whole green energy movement is all lies, they only want the greenback, with so many governments of the world pumping so much money in to green energy, fit little benefit.

We all know India and China contribute, 50 percent in annual greenhouse gas emissions.

This whole electric car scam, is a scam. Cars in Australia only contribute 1 percent greenhouse gas emissions, livestock 10 percent.
edit on 26-11-2023 by Cavemannick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

"Me thinks the world would be if manufacturing was maintained in their home countries, at least governmental initiatives for environmental protection and emissions could be tightly controlled."

Yes, "could be tightly controlled," but considering China and its extremely poor environmental record and future plans, you may want to reconsider your "thinks."

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 07:34 AM
link   
All good points and I've given your ideas some thought as well. Another advantage of having manufacturing in the home country is not relying on other countries for products that are important to infrastructure. Plus specialization in any area will cause a loss in all other areas, so a diversity of domestic production will ensure a ready supply when things go bad overseas. Even with such measures, we need to sell those products at home more than ship them all over the globe.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 07:42 AM
link   

First, let me say that I am in favor of increasing domestic manufacturing. That being said, we would need to align our current form of capitalism to national interest, and the national interest would need to have a pretty big shift towards environmentalism. Furthermore, you would need the whole world to agree to this approach to make any appreciable impact.

In theory, if you could shift all major consuming nations to prioritize the environment then our supply chains would adjust accordingly to more responsible manufacturing whether that be domestic or offshore.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 07:57 AM
link   

From the article below the upcoming generational trend seems to be moving towards caring less and less about products being made in America, but I'm not sure if those sentiments included the environmental factor.

www.visualcapitalist.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All nations manufacturing ability is related to their ability to war. Hispano-Souza made some really ince cars, until they decided making bombs was more profitable. SAAB had all these unemployed workers after the war, so they put that manufacturing aility to make really #ty cars.

Ford, Mercedes-Benz, even GM put manufacturing for the war "effort" a priority.

So yeah, outsourcing manufacturing is not wise IMHO

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There was talk of a rule at the G7 summit some years back to ban imports from any country that doesn't spend a certain percentage on its citizens' needs.

What are they putting in all the new warehouses springing up all over the place? My guess is some of the increase in capacity is due to really cheap trade goods that are being made in some earthquake-trap sweat shop. There were probably fewer gadgets and cheap clothes available 50 years ago.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Never seen the likes of "Erin Brockovich"?

The big companies that pollute don't give a rat's arse as to their low-level workforce, their families, where they live, or where they dump their undesirables.

Some manufacturing plants and processes you should be glad of the fact that they are no longer dumped on your doorsteps by my guess.
edit on 26-11-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
One of the main reasons manufacturing outsources to other countries is because of regulations to control pollution and environmental damage in the US; that, and ever-increasing taxes on big business.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Yes numerous studies suggest that after hitting a medium income individuals adopt more long term world views.I’ll try to find them to link.

If you a making a pittance and hardly make it day to day you arnt worried about the distant future you’re worried about tomorrow or even how do I survive today. You don’t give a rats ass about the decline of some bonobo monkey someplace you have never been and likely never will.

But once you get over a certain threshold of income(prosperity) and your immediate needs are constantly met, shelter,food,water you now have more free time to contemplate and plan for the future so your world view shifts.

You become more concerned with the ongoing of your community and the world at large around you. By far the country’s with the highest incomes have the best environmental track records not because they have the funding but because they actually have some people who can “afford” to care.

edit on 26-11-2023 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2023 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Never seen the likes of "Erin Brockovich"?

The big companies that pollute don't give a rat's arse as to their low-level workforce, their families, where they live, or where they dump their undesirables.

Some manufacturing plants and processes you should be glad of the fact that they are no longer dumped on your doorsteps by my guess.
People have to care or it doesn't work to expect big companies to care.

If you buy your consumer goods from another company because the one which cares about their workers is more expensive, then your workers will just wind up out of a job.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Things Are Beyond Terminal - Peter Zeihan

This rundown gave me a much better idea of what's coming up next for everyone. Breaking the "lazy American" stereotype
I actually paid attention, go figure? Seems the US is in a very decent position than others, except for getting thru the upcoming 9-15% inflation.

By focusing on just manufacturing, we'd be leaving out demographics, agriculture, & 3 other biggies. Never heard of this guy before but he's plain spoken, clear, answers what's asked without going off on tangents.

[yvid]
ObDt1mTvC_6fqrLf[/yvid]

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit2

People have to care or it doesn't work to expect big companies to care.

You will care if you get cancer, leukemia, or some other nasty mystery disease down to them dumping stuff in your rivers and lakes that a given.

Then again you might not find out about it until its way to late.

If you buy your consumer goods from another company because the one which cares about their workers is more expensive, then your workers will just wind up out of a job.

Ok, but I'm not sure what that has to do with big companies and corporations dumping their highly toxic industrial garbage into what amounts to the local water supply.

Jobs are kind of beside the point if you can't work down to being dead or dying.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
You will care if you get cancer, leukemia, or some other nasty mystery disease down to them dumping stuff in your rivers and lakes that a given.

Then again you might not find out about it until its way to late.

Ok, but I'm not sure what that has to do with big companies and corporations dumping their highly toxic industrial garbage into what amounts to the local water supply.

Jobs are kind of beside the point if you can't work down to being dead or dying.
But the point is, if not enough people know about it, no one will do anything.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

But the point is, "if not enough people know about it, no one will do anything".

Where is that not true in just about any walk of life?

That's the human condition in a nutshell Solvedit2 summed up perfectly in 12 words.

If people are not screaming about it the majority could not care less.

Still though, i imagine the point is that it's better not to be poisoned by toxic industrial waste.

Via having the likes of heavy industries, controlled by spurious corporations, operating on our doorsteps.

Again some jobs we should be happy have moved on and off to other places for our own benefit and our childrens if nothing else.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cavemannick
Me thinks the world would be if manufacturing was maintained in their home countries, at least governmental initiatives for environmental protection and emissions could be tightly controlled.

Factories can be easily inspected, and improvements made.

With offshored manufacturing, there is no way to control this. Granted manufacturers lie saying we did this or that to protect the environment in an averseas factory.

We care for the workers. No you do not you want it made for the lowest possible price.

All I see are lies, as they are not held accountable as where the item is made is half a world away.

Most environmental agencies dint have the budget to inspect millions of factories overseas to ensue compliance.

The whole green energy movement is all lies, they only want the greenback, with so many governments of the world pumping so much money in to green energy, fit little benefit.

We all know India and China contribute, 50 percent in annual greenhouse gas emissions.

This whole electric car scam, is a scam. Cars in Australia only contribute 1 percent greenhouse gas emissions, livestock 10 percent.

Great Idea , but Labor Costs would Kill any Idea of that .

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   

edit on Thu Dec 21 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 10:44 PM
link   

edit on Thu Dec 21 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2023 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Op Very good pionts I highly agree Cavemannick
I think that self sustainability is the way to go
Pro's
-environment control
-less transport better for the enviroment
-ethics
-being independent
-self reliant
-new innovation
. . . I'm a fan of BUY LOCAL

originally posted by: Athetos[/post]
numerous studies suggest . .

By far the country’s with the highest incomes
have the best environmental track records . .
because they actually have some people who can “afford” to care.

Total BS
For instance,
Composting, recycling is a given by the less 'privileged'
Environmental damage is directly and indirectly caused
by corporations and big $$
The 1% causes the Most environmental-damage.

posted on Dec, 22 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Moving manufacturing to other countries like China or India lowers the carbon footprint of the country responsible for the manufacture. Not in my back yard sort of thing. Which is worse than manufacturing in your own country where solutions might be found to improve the process.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join