It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Things Loved by Poor People Until Rich People Ruined Them For Everyone

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass
a reply to: rickymouse

I never liked gutting or cleaning the fish or animals. My grandparents would hire someone to slaughter the hogs. Dad would clean the fish that I would eat. Typlically Walleye from Lake Erie. Our derr were processed by a butvher but we gutted them.

When I was a kid I was also taught how to wipe my butt with tree leaves in the woods when we built our house. dad show us how to heave our butt over a fallen tree and do the deed.

So wheres Greta and AOC?

I was under the impression that all people had wiped their butts with leaves at least once in their life. But I guess I am just delusional.

I grew up going out in the woods hiking, camping, and fishing and hunting. I used a lot of leaves in my life for toilet paper. You don't want to leave those little white flags in the woods on top of a pile of poop, that is littering.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 07:01 AM
link   

hose little white flags in the woods on top of a pile of poop, that is littering.

They are biodegradeable. No harm and just a foul smell.

posted on Nov, 23 2023 @ 07:10 PM
link   

hose little white flags in the woods on top of a pile of poop, that is littering.

They are biodegradeable. No harm and just a foul smell.

I saw a deer sniffing a poop pile one time while deer hunting. It was making some strange faces...a doe...so I went and checked out what it was sniffing. There was toilet paper there when I went. I don't know what the strange faces were about, it's mouth was open and it looked like it was going to sneeze or something. I was hunting a buck and wanted to see if someone had baited there or something, it kind of amused me when I saw what it was.

The good thing about those little white flags, if your walking in the woods, you can see the crap and avoid stepping in it. I stepped in bear crap one time out in the woods. Boy they can leave a pile. Not as disgusting as stepping in goose poop on the lake shore barefoot though.

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I saw a weird huge pile of animal crap on my property a couple of months ago. I never saw anything like it. I did consider my 400+ pound obese to the extreme neighbor who sometimes endulges in eating a plate of rancid pork chops but it didnt have a human signature. We are on Lake Murray and it was 15 feet from the shoreline. I wanted to take a pic to send to the state department of wildlife but it rained and some washed away.

I was wondering about a bear. Its wasnt dog poo as I have shoveled dog poo for decades and as such I consider myself as expert on shoveling sheet. Same for horse and donkey. I have been to zoos and the circus and still consider myself an expert on sheet.

EDIT:

So as I write this I type in bear feces and this like pops. What I saw is the 2nd picture from the top of the article. Them thar is bear sheet! Yikes!

Bear Scat Identification Pictures
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Nov, 24 2023 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

Bear poop can be in big piles. I was taught when I was young by my dad to always watch for it because that means there is a bear around that might be troublesome. I have his bear head in the basement, he shot it up in a tree when hunting back in fifty five. It fell and came at him, his gun jammed and he started running, the bear caught up with him so he turned to fight it and it jumped on him and knocked him down and died on top of him without hurting him at all. He had the head stuffed to remind him never to hunt bears again, and he stressed that point to me every year. You see, I was born in December of that year and he shot that bear during deer hunting season which is between the 15th and 30th of November. I was less than two months old when that happened. He stressed that if the bear had not died, he would have died.

So I was taught to be aware of the environment, and by no means shoot a bear unless you have to. He said it pisses them off if you shoot them.

I still have that pre-WW11 winchester, I used it every year for deer hunting, to this day if you don't load the barrel first before loading the bullets in the side, it will jam after the first shot. I am aware of that. The first bullet will come up, but the second will come up wrong if I remember right. I asked at the gun shop if they would fix that issue, and they said it can be done but they won't do it, it would reduce the value of the gun by half. They wouldn't sell me a scope either, I guess mounting the scope kills the value too. He bought the gun when he got home from the war, but evidently it was one that sat at the gun store on display for years. He got it cheaper because it was the display too and the guns did have a little change after the war.

I figured I did know how not to jam it by loading it right, and I really did not need a scope, I could hit a deer at three hundred yards no problem anyway, knowing how to adjust for the distance drop took many boxes of shells.

If you meet a bear in the woods and you have a gun, talk to the bear sternly and tell it it must go because you do not want to shoot it. They usually look at you like your nuts, figure it may be catchy, and turn around and walk away. If you got berries your picking you have to remember, it is better to leave the berries and back away, don't start an argument over some berries you stole from his restaurant. Remember They're Berries...Bear...It kind of means that someone was a lousy speller when defining ownership in the wild.

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I use a Marlin .44 magnum lever action from the early 1980's. I need to have it re blued

posted on Nov, 25 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I use a Marlin .44 magnum lever action from the early 1980's. I need to have it re blued

I re-blued my dads 30-30 in metalshop in nineteen seventy three when I was a Senior. I also redid my double barrel springfield at the same time. It took me three days of class to do the project, to do it the old way it takes a long time. It took multiple coats in the tank and scuffing with steel wool between each coat plus polishing at the end to get it done. That three days does not include the prep time or reassembly of the guns...it took the whole school week to finish it completely. It had to be taken completely apart to do the job correctly, but it is still in pretty good shape since I did the job. Fifty years since I did it, and only twenty eight years on the original blueing. But since going through all that work, I made sure to take care of it after hunting with the gun. I guess those quick bluing jobs don't hold up nearly as good as the immersion bluing does.

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I have the name of an old timer from another contractor who is a professional gunbsmith. The gun is in perfect condidtion with exception to some rust on the barrel and frame.

It has been shot less than six times

posted on Nov, 26 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I have the name of an old timer from another contractor who is a professional gunbsmith. The gun is in perfect condidtion with exception to some rust on the barrel and frame.

It has been shot less than six times

My Dad's 30-3o has been shot a lot, I would go through two boxes of twenty shells a year when I was younger just learning to get good at shooting it. That is forty shells a year for probably fifteen years. He also practiced with it and hunted with it from 1945 through 1973 when he died and I got the gun. He was a rifleman in the army and was an excellent shot before he enlisted in the army in forty four. His job was to shoot long distances at the enemy to clear the road for the soldiers. He got blown up and shot and was taken as a POW. The Germans targeted the sharpshooters with bombing in wars, he had a higher chance of dying than the guys he protected because of that from what I heard from vets from that ERA. Our military did the same thing to the Germans too. I suppose it was the same way in other wars since too.

I never got as good at shooting as he was, even though I tried like hell. I would go to Boy scout camp and while everyone was out trying to get merit badges, I would go to the rifle range and practice....never advanced higher than a Star scout because of that, after about seven years in scouts, I could not be a scout anymore because I was eighteen. So I became an assistant scoutmaster for a few years but between college and working evenings, I could not keep doing that anymore.

All the parts on my deer rifle are original, and because the bluing was done the correct way, it retained it's value as an antique. But even though It was valuable, I kept using it for hunting, I just took care of it.

My sense of value is not monetary, the gone has no cash value, I will hand it down to one of my grandkids when they learn to be responsible or if I die, my brother will take it and give it to his son. Personal family value is important to me, I am not hooked on money as wealth.

posted on Nov, 27 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Whats weird is I bought a Ruger .22 carbine several years ago with a round clip. To date I never shot it as the receiver wont retract right out of the box. I need to take for repair as its been so long Ruger may just blow me off as a warranty claim.

posted on Nov, 27 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

You need to prioritize things like that. If I buy an electric coffee pot for a spare, I try it out and then wash it out and dry it well, then put it on the shelf till the other one quits working. A lot of things these days don't work right out of the box.

I have to make sure to emphasize....clean and completely dry the coffee pot, mold will grow in it if you don't. We also have an extra beater and a cheap toaster in stock, plus an extra vacuum packer we bought used from a rummage sale which I tested and washed the washable parts good and dried to make sure it is ready when we need it. We have spares of lots of things. All they need to do is hold out till we can get another one on a really good sale...sometimes that might take two months or more. We hate buying something only to find it go on sale two weeks after we bought it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join