It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How women are treated by society

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:24 PM
link   
One thing that upsets me and a topic that is very important to address is how poorly some women are treated in this country. As a society we need to do more to protect women from harm. There are far too many women who are being abused physically, mentally, or emotionally by their partners. It sickens me that nearly a quarter of women will experience domestic violence in their lives. These are people's mothers, sisters, and daughters. There are no words to even describe how angry and sad this makes me. At what point in time did it become okay for so many men to be violent and abusive towards their partners? We need to do more to make sure women are treated better. There needs to be more done to help women so they aren't being domestically abused by violent men. This terrible treatment of women has gone on for too long now. This is a topic that nobody even wants to address which makes it even more important to do so. There needs to be stronger laws about domestic violence and education so men understand that these laws will be enforced and upheld. We must not allow women to be abused violently or in any other way anymore. We must do as much as we can to protect any innocent life.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ForestSpirit77

Women are treated better today in America than anywhere, in any other time in world history.

Yes, there are still plenty of dirtbags that abuse women. And it still happens a lot.

However, a large portion can be attributed to them putting themselves in that position.

That's not excusing those guys, but the best deterrence to anything is to not provide the opportunity.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Women are treated better today in America than anywhere, in any other time in world history.

That's a bold claim. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

I'm far from being here to bash America, but according to a report by the World Economic Forum, the U.S. places 43rd out of 146 countries for gender equality across the dimensions of economic opportunities, educational attainment, health and survival, and political empowerment.
edit on 8-11-2023 by QRST4D because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: QRST4D

You're really going to spew WEF propaganda, here, on ATS?

That’s Baghdad Bob level nonsense.

Do better.
edit on 8-11-2023 by watchitburn because: Avoid ToS violations.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

What exactly is wrong with that?

Is it better or worse than spewing hyperbole such as "Women are treated better today in America than anywhere, in any other time in world history."

edit on 8-11-2023 by QRST4D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 10:59 PM
link   
There are plenty of men being abused by their partner as well, let's not forget about them.

I think it's a human problem, not a gender problem. Maybe it's more prevalent one way over the other but let's not act like men don't have their own set of problems in life as well.

We're all used and abused in this world in one way or another. Not to take away from your OP at all but it's good to put things into perspective.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:04 PM
link   

innocent

Source?

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

link   
Not to disagree with much of your OP but this question is just silly

At what point in time did it become okay for so many men to be violent and abusive towards their partners?

Are you just being rhetorical here or are you asking a serious question,in which case it's possible that you have not really given your topic enough thought.

link   

originally posted by: QRST4D

What exactly is wrong with that?

Is it better or worse than spewing hyperbole such as "Women are treated better today in America than anywhere, in any other time in world history."

....they are.

By every metric.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Why is this thread vaguely familiar did op post this under another name after the reset and get banned and this is the reiteration?

Lack luster White Knight thread.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Make me a believer. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Rights under the US Constitution.
Protected class...well until males started to encroach on their spaces..

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well adjusted men don't abuse women and well adjusted women don't tolerate abuse. The same applies in reverse.
Parents, raise your kids to know their self worth, then hope for the best.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:42 PM
link   
...how poorly some women are treated in this country.

In some ways its how poorly women allow themselves to be treated. There are options that don't involve getting beat up every day.

I will never forget a daytime talk show I saw years ago. It was about women who stayed in abusive relationships until they snapped and killed the guy, usually while he was asleep. Every one of them said the same thing.

Every one of them said they were trapped, they had no money of their own and nowhere to go. They couldn't afford to live without his income. So they killed him. Now they live somewhere else, without his income. Hmmmm... Why couldn't they figure that out before they killed the guy in his sleep? Or is he mailing them checks every week from a PO box in Hell?

I knew two women who were in horrible relationships, not just abusive but downright cruel. Both of them had the same problem: they couldn't accept the fact that the guy was not going to change for them. I don't know if it was pride or stupidity, but they refused to accept the fact that the guy beating them would not become a better person to save their relationship. I still don't know what to think about that, and I knew these women fairly well. It was as if leaving meant admitting they weren't good enough to fix the broken bastards who were beating them.

I am not suggesting that any of it was the women's fault or that they deserved it - they didn't. But at some point they do have to take some responsibility for the position they are in and do something about it. Those women who said they had nowhere to go and couldn't live without the jerks income found someplace to go and did it without his income. It is possible.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Seems to me we are opening quite a can of worms here. Again - not here to bandy about anti-US rhetoric. That's not my argument. But given the breadth of the topic, it is appropriate to give other countries their due when it comes to gender equality.

For a small example, women's suffrage came first in New Zealand in 1893, and the U.S. was preceded by many other countries before granting women the vote, such as Finland, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, etc. Other countries were ahead of the U.S. (which granted women the right to vote beginning in 1920) as regards the right to vote, and still are ahead of the U.S. in such issues as parental leave policies.

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Seems to me we are opening quite a can of worms here. Again - not here to bandy about anti-US rhetoric. That's not my argument. But given the breadth of the topic, it is appropriate to give other countries their due when it comes to gender equality.

No? Then why the WEF (lol) "women equality" statistic in a thread about abusive men and advocation for womens' protection?

posted on Nov, 8 2023 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Choose Your Own Adventure?

posted on Nov, 9 2023 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I see your point. I addressed the title more than the OP. Fair.

Women's rights and violence against women are closely intertwined, however. According to this NIH report

Of the 30 countries with the lowest prevalence estimates for past year physical or sexual violence, or both (up to 4%), 24 were high-income countries. 23 of the 30 countries within this lowest prevalence range were in Europe. The other seven were Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, and Uruguay.

Care to compare the countries on WEF's list to the one from NIH?

In a way, I understand the animosity toward the WEF on ATS. But the way I see it, since Donald Trump has participated in WEF meetings, it should be fair game to use them as a source. It seems to be the prevailing attitude that whatever Trump touches turns to gold.
edit on 9-11-2023 by QRST4D because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2023 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Well some polling statistics are better than one or a few opinions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join