It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Space and Time Fuse Together to Form “Spacetime”

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   
”Spacetime”
Here is the current physics definition of spacetime:
“In physics, spacetime is any mathematical model that fuses the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time into a single four-dimensional continuum.”

So, what is “spacetime?” Spacetime consists of two parts: space and time, which merge together to form a 4-dimensional structure called spacetime (don’t forget a 3-dimensional being could never perceive a 4-dimensional structure).

But wait, if space is literally the absence of matter (has zero physical properties) and time also has no physical properties either, how can the two “fuse” together to form a 4-dimensional structure that can bend and ripple like a physical fabric?

Two constructs (space and time) that do not have any physical pieces of matter associated with them could never fuse together to form a 4-dimensional structure because there is nothing to fuse with. Each of these is made of absolutely nothing tangible. Moreover, how can the fusing of space and time (which have no physical properties) produce something like gravity which exerts its effects solely on physical objects made of matter? It just does not make sense. So gravity apparently emanates from two things that are made of absolutely nothing, space and time.
edit on 28-9-2023 by wiredcerebellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: wiredcerebellum

But wait, if space is literally the absence of matter (has zero physical properties)

Space is not empty, it's not truly devoid of matter, but contains a very low density of particles, including atoms, ions, and molecules.

Additionally, there is also the presence of electromagnetic radiation, such as light and other forms of radiation, which travel through space.
edit on 28-9-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Happy hour already started for me.

Hopefully Arbitrageur comes by and explains it.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Spacetime consists of two parts: space and time, which merge together to form a 4-dimensional structure called spacetime (don’t forget a 3-dimensional being could never perceive a 4-dimensional structure).

Dimension != Dimension

Time is not the kind of dimension you think, space-time is not a 4-dimensional structure at all in the way you think it is. The next dimension above the spacial 3D world is 4D and you can get a glimpse of it with a transparent cube, a bit putty and a flashlight. It will show you a glimpse of what is called a teseract.

Time is the temporal dimension. You mix up a lot here again.

So where do you have trouble understanding? I kind of do not get the point of this thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Spacetime is a mathmatical construction used to simplify certain concepts. It does not exist in reality. You actually state that in your quoted definition.

You have done this in several threads you have started. You try to explain a concept that you actually have no grasp of the knowledge of.

edit on 28-9-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2
Actively producing false information and trying to teach nonsense, that is what it is.

I too hope Arbitrageur, Wavelength or TEOTWAWKI comes around these are the three from top of my head that excel in physics. Sorry if I forgot others, we have many sharp minds here.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Then how does it bend and ripple? a reply to: beyondknowledge2

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:23 PM
link   

So gravity apparently emanates from two things that are made of absolutely nothing, space and time.

Gravity is a feature of mass that occurs in space and that plays out over time.

Gravity also has an affect on space/time.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: wiredcerebellum
Then how does it bend and ripple? a reply to: beyondknowledge2

The reason is gravity. (gravitational waves)
Plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

It doesn't exist in reality. It is a way to explain things.

Think of it this way. When you drop an object from a height, you can predict when it will hit by using a simple equation about the acceleration due to gravity. It involves measurements and numbers. Now, the oject hits the ground when predicted. Nether the object nor gravity actually did any calculations to make it fall as predicted. Therefore the calculations are an explanation of reality and not reality itself. Much like spacetime is a simplification of reality and not reality itself.

I hope this helps you.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Dimensions are parameters.

Right now my location in the universe has an X, Y, Z axis and a timestamp..

All are absolutely needed to express the location of anything at any given time..

If I was an uncertain particle I could have two sets of spacial coordinates sharing the same timestamp.

And as far as parameters go, those aren't even represented as infinities. When you think multiversally you also need to designate your location in reference to parameters you can never access. Like universal histories, laws of physics, and starting conditions.
edit on 28-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Pretty simple, you cannot move through space without incurring a time cost, so they are intertwined. It can expand and contract like a trampoline does under weight. This is why time dialation exists in science fiction around more mass as the mass deforms the spacetime around it

Here is a video explaining it simply, but first you need to understand they are mathematically intertwined unless you can move through space instantaneous without incurring a time cost to travel that distance through any space, including the immediate space you inhabit.

Spacetime is the ether of our reality, and reality is not what it seems intuitively to be.

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

Spacetime is a mathmatical construction used to simplify certain concepts. It does not exist in reality. You actually state that in your quoted definition.

You have done this in several threads you have started. You try to explain a concept that you actually have no grasp of the knowledge of.

Thank you for the sanity check with your first paragraph.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: VulcanWerks

Yeah, but at LIGO when they detected gravitational waves it distorted the space between the sending point and receiving point of the laser used to detect them, and therefore also changed the time. By changing the distance between the two points as the wave went through it changed the time it took for the laser to reach its destination in the predetermined amount of time.

Space and time are connected just like energy and heat are connected.

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TrollMagnet

When you have two measurements changing, how exactly do you measure ether against the other? The distance alone changing would affect your time measurement as much as if the time alone changing would change your distance measurement.

Also your energy and heat relationship is nonsense because heat is energy. What you stated is like saying food has a relationship to a hamburger. The hamburger, in most cases, is in fact food.

edit on 28-9-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The curvature of spacetime around massive objects is demonstrated during every solar eclipse. When the sun and moon are aligned during an eclipse, the stars in the celestial grid are actually contracted closer to the eclipse as compared to just the moon on its own. This shows that massive objects can warp the path of light, and Einstein used this phenomenon to validate his theory.

I don't think we quite know what spacetime "consists of", we just know how it behaves due to massive objects. Before it was thought that massive objects simply cause gravitational force. But this didn't quite match on all levels, and Einstein's explanation of mass causing spacetime curvature to cause gravity is the most popular resolution.

With that being said, there is still much more to be contributed to the field of physics. If someone can simplify the 4 fundamental forces/interactions into one common denominator, and fuse together quantum physics with relativity theory, there would be great advancement in understanding. Who knows, it may even require a whole new perspective. Relativity theory was able to encompass everything that Newton's theory explained while also making sense of a broader range of phenomenon, so any new theory that were to upgrade physics would have to still explain the multitude of phenomenon that relativity theory explains while also giving a more comprehensive assessment of reality

The most likely resolution at this time seems to be some sort of theory of quantum gravity. Look up "ER = EPR", it is the claim that the observed phenomenon of quantum entanglement is due to spacetime wormholes (Einstein-Rosen Bridges)
edit on 28-9-2023 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrollMagnet

originally posted by: VulcanWerks

Yeah, but at LIGO when they detected gravitational waves it distorted the space between the sending point and receiving point of the laser used to detect them, and therefore also changed the time. By changing the distance between the two points as the wave went through it changed the time it took for the laser to reach its destination in the predetermined amount of time.

Space and time are connected just like energy and heat are connected.

I’m about to get out of my depth, but, I appreciate a space/time discussion.

I think it all depends on what you mean by “space”.

If by “space” you mean “outer space”, or if you mean “distance between two 3 dimensional objects or coordinates in the universe” then you kind of get a different answer.

Time then is just a mathematical construct - a constant/normative means to scale, coordinate, etc.

If I do the unthinkable and think about time as not a means of measurement or scale, but rather think of it as just another medium of connection or another “plane” or sorts,

Consider this:

A fair amount has been written about the connection that many twins have. It’s a “sense” of sorts that appears to be unbreakable in its instantaneous nature - regardless of distance.

So, that “signal” from one twin to another has to travel somewhere but it takes no time. Time, in this case, is nothing more than a way to scale the term “instantaneous”.

To me, that means the instant or near-instant message get from A to B somehow.

And that somehow largely eliminates “time” as we think about it - and it becomes a non-factor in distance (or a very minimal factor).

If you could travel via whatever medium it is that the twins message is sent - then you could go more-less anywhere, more-less instantaneously.

Let’s call this medium The Connector.

Now, to bend the mind further… if you now have The Connector to travel with, thus eliminating time as a barrier, then what does that mean about gravity given time is a component that must exist for most physics models to work?

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   

a reply to: TrollMagnet

When you have two measurements changing, how exactly do you measure ether against the other? The distance alone changing would affect your time measurement as much as if the time alone changing would change your distance measurement.

Also your energy and heat relationship is nonsense because heat is energy. What you stated is like saying food has a relationship to a hamburger. The hamburger, in most cases, is in fact food.

If you had a better understanding of mathematics you wouldn't be confused. The variations in measurements is exactly what you use calculus for. This is why physicists are very good at math for the most part. What i said is true whether you can wrap your head around it or not

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks

Time then is just a mathematical construct - a constant/normative means to scale, coordinate, etc.

Exactly...time is the holy reference point, a psychological manifestation we use to make sense out of our environment.

eta....May your manifestation be a sweet one!

" If I could save time in a bottle The first thing that I'd like to do Is to save every day till eternity passes away Just to spend them with you .... If I could make days last..." Jim Croce

edit on 28-9-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2023 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrollMagnet
Pretty simple, you cannot move through space without incurring a time cost, so they are intertwined. It can expand and contract like a trampoline does under weight. This is why time dialation exists in science fiction around more mass as the mass deforms the spacetime around it

Here is a video explaining it simply, but first you need to understand they are mathematically intertwined unless you can move through space instantaneous without incurring a time cost to travel that distance through any space, including the immediate space you inhabit.

Spacetime is the ether of our reality, and reality is not what it seems intuitively to be.

youtu.be...

O M G not that video again.

New theories...what do space and time emerge from?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join