It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transubstantiation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There was a time when it was not safe to ask whether transubstantiation is fact or fiction. As at such time as back in 1410. In that year John Badby, an English tailor, was burned at the stake in London’s Smithfield Square because he could not understand how Christ sitting at supper could offer his apostles his own body to eat!

And not only laymen, but also Catholic priests are spoken of as being burned alive for doubting transubstantiation. In fact, it is said that denial of this teaching has caused rivers of blood to flow and that likely more were put to death for doubting it than for doubting all other Roman Catholic teachings.

The Council of Lateran of 1215 pronounced accursed any who would in any way doubt transubstantiation.

It is admitted that many pagan teachings and practices were brought into the church. The Greeks had a divine bread and also a divine nectar or ambrosia, which their mythological gods sipped and which was supposed to impart immortality. The Hindus had a similar belief.

That something could be transubstantiated, changed from one substance to another without changing its appearance, is based on the Aristotelian error that all matter has a basic and invisible substance of which it really consists as well as its outward, visible characteristics, such as color, form, texture, odor, taste, etc., known as “accidents.” In philosophizing on the Lord’s supper the early Alexandrian theologians “obviously borrowed from the terminology of the Greek mysteries,” we are told.

As with the trinity, there was a gradual growth of this teaching, as so clearly shown in The Encyclopædia Britannica (1942), Vol. 8, pp. 795-797. The term “transubstantiation” did not appear until the eleventh century. Its being made an official dogma of the Roman Catholic Church in 1215 started the scourge of torturing and murdering thousands upon thousands of Jews on the rumor that they had “desecrated the host” by piercing it with needles or crushing it under foot, as though the Jews believed the fiction of transubstantiation.

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I wrote down that the real "Jesus" was named Je'shua, he caught wind that the authorities were gonna have him killed, but he had a schizophrenic follower who kinda looked like him, and he devised a plan to run off and hide, and have the crazy devotee die in his place, then he would wait a while then come out of hiding, so everyone would think he really was a god, and his message of love and unity would keep spreading and hopefully inspire people in a good way.

It's written, so it's scripture. Use some common sense, people.

a reply to: pthena

edit on 21-9-2023 by TheValeyard because: clarification

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TheValeyard

I'm pretty sure that when the authorities caught him, he made a deal, "If you let my followers go free, then I will come quietly".

Days later they were talking among themselves, "Wow! He really did love us. He gave his life for us."

One day their private conversations were overheard, and the rest is History.

posted on Sep, 21 2023 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Thanks.

In fact, it is said that denial of this teaching has caused rivers of blood to flow and that likely more were put to death for doubting it than for doubting all other Roman Catholic teachings.

Roman Catholic Church in 1215 started the scourge of torturing and murdering thousands upon thousands of Jews on the rumor that they had “desecrated the host” by piercing it with needles or crushing it under foot, as though the Jews believed the fiction of transubstantiation.

I made a joke once long ago that either people didn't get or didn't think was funny.

An alter boy ran to the priest,
"Father, Father I've committed an unforgivable sin!
I've spilled the chalice! I'm doomed!"

The priest was panicked at first but then thought
and asked "Was that before or after the Institution?"

"Before" the frightened alter boy replied.

"Well then, don't worry," responded the relieved priest,
"It was only an accident."

edit on 21-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

... Did the Latin have a J?

Latin uses an "i", just like the Greek as used by the Bible writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures, a.k.a. the New Testament.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   

a reply to: stevieray

You expect to be taken seriously ?

Sure. Why shouldn't I be?

Because almost everything you’re written in this thread is nonsense, but you appear to be very serious about delivering the nonsense, like this a real debate of some sort.
It’s very strange.
But the mods appear to like it …… they are beating back any questioning responses.
The nonsense and doublespeak appear to be at an all time high around here. But No real concern from the mods. Maybe we need the bodies and the post volume. I doubt that it appeals to the casual visitor.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Because almost everything you’re written in this thread is nonsense

Notice the word imagine and its variation in the OP.

I doubt that it appeals to the casual visitor.

Statistics: 3 flags, 2 stars.
You are correct.

posted on Sep, 22 2023 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Because almost everything you’re written in this thread is nonsense

Notice the word imagine and its variation in the OP.

I doubt that it appeals to the casual visitor.

Statistics: 3 flags, 2 stars.
You are correct.

I wasn’t really trying to go negative, you seem like one of the good guys, long timers.
Maybe this whole thread was meant as a bit of a lark.

But I just got a bit of a snark / sarcasm vibe, right or wrong on my part, and that sets me off a bit in these religious threads.

Anyways, cheers.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:00 AM
link   

a reply to: randomuser

God had the physical dead body of Jesus dematerialize

Dematerialize like instant?
Where did the elements go?

I don't know.

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

When Jesus appeared to Thomas along with the others in the locked room to show him the holes in his hands he materialized in the middle of them from out of nowhere. How do you think that happened?

edit on 23-9-2023 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: randomuser

His body was glorified and could do things his pre-risen body couldn't.
But it was still his body. Spirits don't have holes in their hands and they don't eat.

John 20:27 - Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

Luke 24:40-43 - "When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, "Have you any food here?" So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence."

Your Jehovahs Witness cult is wrong.

edit on 9/23/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join