It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 630 dead as powerful earthquake hits Morocco near Marrakesh

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The strength of the quake has been reported to be around a Magnitude 7 and as expected the damage is severe. Hopefully rescue teams can get the survivors out of the ruble before it is to late.

A powerful earthquake has killed at least 632 people in Morocco.
There’s significant damage being reported, and the number of casualties is expected to rise.
The U-S geological survey says the magnitude SEVEN quake struck some 70 kilometers south of Marrakesh.

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 08:25 AM
link   
People have been saying this... expect more strong quakes.
I think they are right.

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It looks like it was a 6.8 followed by a 4.9 aftershock. I would assume the death toll will increase as more people are found..

More than 800 people were killed and hundreds more injured after a powerful 6.8 earthquake rocked the African nation of Morocco Friday night, destroying buildings and leaving scenes of chaos.

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Supposedly Morocco hasn't had this large of an earthquake since 1900 (within 310 miles of that one) so this is a rare event. Nevertheless, the loss of life and destruction is terrible.
edit on q00000032930America/Chicago4545America/Chicago9 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Yes, they got hit hard. The death toll is over 1K now. I read one testimony that it lasted 10 seconds and afterwards, everything was gone, destroyed.

I've also read that Algeria has offered humanitarian aid and opened up its airspace to allow flights to reach the damaged area more quickly. The two countries don't have diplomatic ties after some territorial dispute.

Prayers for the victims.
edit on 9/9/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is uncommon, but not a Unicorn. Definitely not a location one could predict the next devastating one to happen.

Definitely something they were not ready for:

This won't be as bad as Turkey, because this was orders of magnitude weaker, but Marrakech is going to lose a lot of buildings and sadly watch the death toll rise. The obligatory sending of thoughts and prayers goes here.

The September 8, 2023, M 6.8 earthquake near Oukaïmedene, Morocco, occurred due to oblique-reverse faulting at shallow depth within the Moroccan High Atlas Mountain range, roughly 75 km southeast of Marrakech. Focal mechanism solutions for the event indicate rupture occurred on a steeply dipping oblique-reverse fault striking to the northwest or a shallow dipping oblique-reverse fault striking to the east. The High Atlas Mountains contain a variety of mapped strike-slip and thrust faults, trending to the east-west and northeast-southwest. This earthquake occurred within the Africa Plate, approximately 550 km south of the plate boundary between the Africa and Eurasia plates. At the location of this earthquake, the African plate moves approximately 24 mm/year WSW relative to the Eurasia plate.  

The fault is similar, but steeper, than the Northridge Fault. Similar type of event.

Here is an article about the specific area in question.

www.sciencedirect.com...

That's the geoscience of it.
edit on 9-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 10:26 AM
link   
My favorite place in the world: Marrakech. My heart is broken for their loss. Old adobe type buildings. Villages all thru the High Atlas. I reached out to a friend there who answered back, so nobody I know is missing. Such a shame, the older construction. Modern parts of the city Im sure faired much better, but that is actually the smaller part of the city. Keep these kind and good people in your prayers.
edit on 9/9/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I felt it, some 840 km away, here in Portugal, near Lisbon.

And I also thought it lasted a long time, but your reference to it is the first I find confirming what I felt.

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Not really rare, 120 years is nothing geologically.

Portugal has a lower seismic activity than Morocco and we had (many years ago, in 1755) one of the largest earthquake ever recorded in Europe, its epicentre in the Atlantic ocean, almost half way between Portugal and Morocco (closer to Portugal).

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

It looks like it was a 6.8 followed by a 4.9 aftershock. I would assume the death toll will increase as more people are found..

I just saw on TV about a half hour ago.
2000 dead, 2000 injured.
Crews hadn't gotten up into the hills yet.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 01:22 AM
link   
SPAM

edit on 9/10/2023 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join