It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you define Liberal, Moderate, and Conservative?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I wonder if we are all speaking the same language.

The media talks about “democrats”, “Liberals”, “MAGA”, “Progs” etc.

However, I cannot define a singular source of truth that is universally agreed up that defines any of these buckets.

The lack of definition almost certainly means there is material confusion around what each group actually thinks, does, believes in, behaves like.

Without that broad understanding, society is adrift. They don’t know the entirety of a “party’s” beliefs. There is no nuance. No understanding that a moderate Dem is very different from a progressive liberal, and a moderate Republican is different from a “MAGA” die-hard.

Given we have many people who pay attention to politics, my question is as they title says:

How do YOU define progressive/Dem/moderate/conservative/Republican/etc. ?

No right or wrong answers here.

I’ll share my thoughts in a moment but, just as a matter of precaution so as not to get us off track, I’ll wait for a moment to chime in.

Mods: I posted this in “Dissecting Disinformation” because I can’t ignore the possibility the true understanding of beliefs and values of different political groups have been intentionally blurred and that the binary “Progressive v. MAGA” world is intentional. It could be a natural phenomenon, and one could build a case around that, but you can’t ignore this could be intentional - thus, disinformation.

What do you think, ATS? Definitions? Thoughts?
edit on 8-9-2023 by VulcanWerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Without that broad understanding, society is adrift. They don’t know the entirety of a “party’s” beliefs. There is no nuance. No understanding that a moderate Dem is very different from a progressive liberal, and a moderate Republican is different from a “MAGA” die-hard.

In the End there are only two . Because we are presented with only Two choices Democrat or Republican the Illusion of Choice ...

A Democrat is a Democrat is a Democrat and will vote Democrat simply to avoid voting for a Conservative.

Republicans on the other hand do not hold hands skipping to the Ballot Box singing 'kumbaya' , If a Republican does not like the Current Republican candidate they will simply not vote.

The illusion of choice , Two rivers split into two streams that merge back into the same river emptying into the same ocean. All the voting in the last decades has done nothing but get us exactly where we were intended to be.

but hey what do I know

edit on 8-9-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Then there is bipartisan, maybe that is where the focus should be.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks

Great question:

I used to have a long articulate answer for that with caveats for the moderate, and a huge middle ground. But...

Liberal = Democrat
Conservative = Republican
Moderate = Died with John McCain.

I know there's there's a lot of "independents" out there, who are moderate, but they are not driving the choices. They also have to decide between increasingly terrible choices defined on the growing void between the two parties.

So moderate = A person forced to choose on the lesser of two evils if they want their vote to matter.
edit on 8-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:07 PM
link   

There's communism, then theres everything else in todays American society....

IMHO of course.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

In the End there are only two . Because we are presented with only Two choices Democrat or Republican the Illusion of Choice ...

A Democrat is a Democrat is a Democrat and will vote Democrat simply to avoid voting for a Conservative.

Republicans on the other hand do not hold hands skipping to the Ballot Box singing 'kumbaya' , If a Republican does not like the Current Republican candidate they will simply not vote.

The illusion of choice , Two rivers split into two streams that merge back into the same river emptying into the same ocean. All the voting in the last decades has done nothing but get us exactly where we were intended to be.

but hey what do I know

Appreciate your commentary.

Your point about republicans just not voting is interesting. Why do you think they don’t vote if their not satisfied?

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Your point about republicans just not voting is interesting. Why do you think they don’t vote if their not satisfied?

Principle mate.

Voting means something and I will not waste mine on someone I do not believe in.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

Great question:

I used to have a long articulate answer for that with caveats for the moderate, and a huge middle ground. But...

Liberal = Democrat
Moderate = Died with John McCain.

I know there's there's a lot of "independents" out there, who are moderate, but they are not driving the choices. They also have to decide between increasingly terrible choices defined on the growing void between the two parties.

So moderate = A person forced to choose on the lesser of two evils if they want their vote to matter.

Very fair point about the fate of the moderate.

You mentioned having an “articulate answer” to this question in the past. I don’t think your response is inarticulate, so did you perhaps mean more “nuanced”?

If so, I’m curious why your response changed?

You may be tugging on an interesting thread - what caused you to lose the nuance? Or perhaps, did we lose the nuance because of the two party (or uniparty, depending on your take) or because you knew a third party would more-less be unviable so you had to pick a side? Or none of that?

Interesting thought.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

Principle mate.

Voting means something and I will not waste mine on someone I do not believe in.

Makes perfect sense.

Makes me wonder… if “Repubilcans” (I use “” since we’re still defining here) effectively bow-out when not impressed (understandable)… could that specific trait play a role in why Republicans lose at times when they shouldn’t, knowing that Democrats will be unified in voting party line?

Said another way, while I can’t argue with the why, is taking that stance potentially biting off one’s nose to spite the face, in a way?

I realize your post was short, but, brevity doesn’t mean lack of profundity.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Overariculate and definitely more nuanced. More flowing on the potential of differing views for certain.

If so, I’m curious why your response changed?

It's an easier answer.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Makes me wonder… if “Repubilcans” (I use “” since we’re still defining here) effectively bow-out when not impressed (understandable)… could that specific trait play a role in why Republicans lose at times when they shouldn’t, knowing that Democrats will be unified in voting party line?

For sure .

But it is also how Democrats ended up with Cities Like San Francisco , New York and Los Angeles . Democrats count on those automatic votes and they just keep on with the Plan.
edit on 8-9-2023 by asabuvsobelow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The woke, the blind and the supid? am i right? what do i win?

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I definitely lean conservative, but I am by no means a republican.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Conservative = Pro constitution.

Liberal = Pro constitution when it's convenient.

Moderate = On the fence, because it's safer.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I definitely lean conservative, but I am by no means a republican.

Yup

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:18 PM
link   

It greatly depends on who the choices are as to whether people choose not to vote.

Trump won in 2016 because the DNC chose to run Hillary-and the majority of Americans voted against her, not for Trump.

I'm not sure who the DNC will choose this time-if they're even allowed to, but the rumored ones aren't any better of a choice than Hillary was, IMO.

I could vote independent, but they never garner enough votes to do anything but waste their time. If Trump runs as independent, it may be different since the country is so polarized.

The GOP candidate? If Trump is banned, it looks like Ramaswamy has the vast amounts of money required to get the honor. I pretty sure-at least hoping against hope-that enough people have learned to spot a RINO when they see one.

It looks like we're going to have to choose the lesser of two evils at this point, and if all they're going to offer up is from the bottom of the barrel I probably won't vote.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes, that's why it's apathetic. In my former long-winded explanation you definitely had a niche with other variance like pro choice fiscal conservatives. But... my apathy has typecast your contribution. It's not really meant to be that objective.

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 09:55 PM
link   

It would be nice if Conservative meant interested in Conserving Liberal Democracy.

But alas

I coined a definition once:
A Cynic is a disillusioned Idealist.

edit on 8-9-2023 by pthena because: spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Just to keep it simple: A liberal sh1t$ in your pool, a moderate pisses in your pool, a conservative drowns them both.
edit on 8-9-2023 by bladerunner44 because: msp

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join