It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ozempic Craze

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Ozempic is the diabetes drug, injected once a week, that has become very popular to use for weight loss. It's not just obese people who are using it to lose weight, but average folks just wanting to lose that extra 20 pounds. U.S. doctors wrote more than 313,000 prescriptions for Ozempic in the last full week of January, up 78% from about 176,000 the year before causing a shortage of Ozempic for those suffering from diabetes. Hollywood is getting in on it with people like Sharon Osborne and Kim Kardashian admitting to using it to lose weight. Average weight loss is 15% of bodyweight when on Ozempic for a year. Sales are in the BILLIONS of dollars for the Denmark company and most of it coming from the USA.

Long term effects are unknown but there are many health issues that can happen when taken even for a short amount of time, one mostly mentioned is stomach paralysis. So what happened to just cutting calories and going for long walks to lose weight? The drug is expensive and it's side effects can be severe so why jump on the craze and take it for weight loss? I don't get it.

New York Times - What is Ozempic and Why Is It Getting So Much Attention

Forbes - Ozempic Craze Sending Wrong Public Health Message

Wall Street Journal - Americas Obsession with Weight Loss Drugs is Affecting Economy of Denmark

Novo Nordisk’s market capitalization has matched the GDP of its home country

Daily Mail - BILLIONS upon BILLIONS in sales - Mostly in the USA

Novo, Europe's second most valuable listed company behind LVMH, is riding a wave of huge demand for Ozempic and Wegovy, that has sent the company's earnings to record highs. Analysts expect Novo's weight-loss drug sales to hit $6.1 billion this year, and to reach nearly $15 billion annually in 2027, according to polling from FactSet.

NPR Ozempic Weight Loss Drug Big Business

"The worst-kept secret in Hollywood". In the last several months, Ozempic has exploded onto the scene, with everyone from Elon Musk to Chelsea Handler talking about taking versions of the drug. "My doctor ... just hands it out to anybody," comedian Chelsea Handler said on a podcast.

It is legal for doctors to prescribe a drug like Ozempic for an unofficial use, but Rodriguez sees Ozempic's popularity as a problem, especially since it can be really hard to find in a lot of places and insurance often won't cover it, meaning only people who can afford to pay $1,600 a month can get it.

In addition to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, stomach paralysis, gastroparesis can occur. Other cases of severe outcomes from Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro have been recently reported.

The information says that stomach paralysis can occur rarely, but from the information I've been reading it seems to be more common than 'rarely'. Pancreatitis, gallbladder disease and kidney issues have been reported. And the long term effects of this drug are unknown.

Healthline - Ozempic and Stomach Paralysis

The rise of popular GLP-1 drugs such as Ozempic and Wegovy and similar drugs like Mounjaro, which are used to treat type 2 diabetes and, in some cases, obesity, has led to some people reporting severe side effects. The active ingredient in these injectable medications is semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy) or tirzepatide (Mounjaro), which slows digestion in the stomach. In rare cases, the stomach can take too long to empty out, leading to “stomach paralysis” or gastroparesis.

CBS News - Ozempic Side Effects Could Lead to Hospitalization - Long Term Effects Unknown

Tirzepatide — sold under the brand name Mounjaro — and semaglutide — sold under the brand names Ozempic and Wegovy — are administered once a week by shot. Mounjaro is known as a GIP and GLP-1 receptor agonist while Ozempic and Wegovy are known as GLP-1 receptor agonists.

Mounjaro and Ozempic were initially sold as diabetes medications, while Wegovy is specifically for weight loss. The medications are currently administered by injection, but the drug in Wegovy and Ozempic may soon be available in pill form. Wegovy is FDA-approved for weight loss; Ozempic and Mounjaro are not.

These drugs were originally prescribed to patients with Type 2 diabetes as they produce insulin and lower blood sugar. They also release a hormone that slows down digestion and keeps food in a patient's stomach longer. This process suppresses hunger and leads to weight loss — but that can take a toll on the body.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   
NVM, my humor might not be appreciated.
edit on 18-8-2023 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
Is that the commercial that has all the large people dancing the dance of these knees have had enough?

Funny! I think I know which one you are talking about, a large woman puts on a yellow dress and dances around a water fountain with a mail man with a whole lotta other people dancing around too. I have the TV on while I'm typing this and that commercial was just on a little while ago.

No, that's not Ozempic. But yeah, those pharma commercials all kinda run together. Too many of them.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

The only medication I've ever needed is motrin, changing my socks, and drinking water.
edit on 18-8-2023 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

My doctor had me on Ozempic for 6-7 months, basically because I was pre-diabetic and needed to lose weight. You do lose weight but for me, the side effects were too much, seemed to make me anxious as hell, couldn't sleep, with headaches.

Definitely wouldn't take it to just lose weight

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Ozempic: Sharon Osbourne opens up about side effects of weight loss drug use - LINK< br />

"For me, the first few weeks was f**king # because you just throw up all the time. You feel so nauseous. After a couple of weeks, it goes," she said.

edit on 18-8-2023 by TarantulaBite because: add link

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:09 PM
link   

The is a side effect that many won’t talk about.
People are losing their zest for life. I thought it was kinda funny until I noticed that exact same thing
Happened to a close relative of mine. I’m seriously concerned.

On the flip side, this drug can also “cure” weird behaviors like OCD, addictions, compulsive overeating.
I guess pick your battles.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

The only medication I've ever needed is motrin, changing my socks, and drinking water.

The only medication that I ever needed was excedrin, but I gave up all caffeine and now just one of those is too much for me now due to the caffeine content.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

The is a side effect that many won’t talk about.
People are losing their zest for life. I thought it was kinda funny until I noticed that exact same thing
Happened to a close relative of mine. I’m seriously concerned.

On the flip side, this drug can also “cure” weird behaviors like OCD, addictions, compulsive overeating.
I guess pick your battles.

A 'cure' for OCD hell ? Sign me up!
I actually started taking NAC for my OCD, as I read it 'might help' alleviate some of the symptoms. I don't like to take big pharma drugs, and avoid doing so . I , luckily , don't need any meds for anything else .

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Close enough though, its all the same Pharmakeian propaganda and probably the same drug. Most of the time I cannot even tell what the drug is trying to treat or who the commercial is even marketed to. Most of those drugs need a prescription from a doctor so why do they try to sell them like something on sale at Walmart?

Bad Medicine.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:28 PM
link   

its all the same Pharmakeian propaganda and probably the same drug.

Watch TV for an afternoon. It's drug commercial after drug commercial.
It's depressing to see just how many diseases and illness' are out there.
And it's depressing to see the side effects of the drugs they come up with.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I've never heard of her but the article talks about Hollywood people who are on Ozempic.
Real Housewives. Tracy Morgan. Elon Musk.

New York Post- Claudia Oshry sings about weight loss drugs

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Close enough though, its all the same Pharmakeian propaganda and probably the same drug. Most of the time I cannot even tell what the drug is trying to treat or who the commercial is even marketed to. Most of those drugs need a prescription from a doctor so why do they try to sell them like something on sale at Walmart?

Bad Medicine.

Someone here (I don't remember who) , once said that it's likely so a patient asks a doctor about so and so medicine and so the doctor/big pharma is absolved from any responsiblity , should very likely side-effects occur. As well, 'the patient asked for it themselves'

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   
With past history being the best indicator of future history we should all know how this plays out.
20,30,40 years from now there will be lawsuits because 'someone' discovers the manufacturers new all along that this drug was harmful- or even fatal- and falsified the studies to get FDA approval.

By then the companies will have made trillions of dollars and their 6 million dollar fine will be pocket change for them, and they'll be ready to roll out the 'safe and effective' replacement within a week or two.

There are drugs that have decades of safety data and known efficacy ( Ivermectin, anyone?) that doctors seldom prescribe anymore.....unless you insist on trying them first.

I think medical schools have done a very good job at brainwashing students into 'trusting the science', but the longer they practice the more likely some are to realizing they've been played.

I once had symptoms doctors couldn't figure out, so they decide to treat me for 'painless migraines'. The prescription for this experimental treatment was nearly $500.00....for seven pills! That was my co-pay! I didn't/couldn't afford to fill it. I finally figured out the problem on my own after two years of misery and over $1,500 in co-pays for medical tests; it was an allergy to prescription medication. Turns out I'm highly allergic to horses and the many medications derived from them.

Taking the latest, greatest medication these days is akin to eating a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get.
edit on 500000044America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: sp

(post by schuyler removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

Bad Medicine.

Someone here (I don't remember who) , once said that it's likely so a patient asks a doctor about so and so medicine and so the doctor/big pharma is absolved from any responsiblity , should very likely side-effects occur. As well, 'the patient asked for it themselves'

That`d be like you taking your car in to a mechanic and telling them how to fix it. But I suppose you have the quack doctors out there like you have shade tree mechanics. A real doctor would get to the source of the problem just like a real mechanic. If your doctor is trying to just throw pills at you instead of exploring the cause of the symptoms I`d be looking for a 2nd opinion. Not consuming alcohol, excessive amounts of sugar and processed foods and just getting up and moving will do wonders for the human body.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

No.

I think it's about low IQ, gullible, over medicated western society looking for easy fixes to behavioral problems.

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:31 PM
link   

So what happened to just cutting calories and going for long walks to lose weight?

Too much work for some folks .

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Type II diabetic. Runs in my family (mother's side, along with pattern baldness), thanks mom! Diagnosed following major heart attack.

Usual diabetes drug therapy was not working as well as doctor wanted. Was facing the prospect of multiple insulin injections every day to get, and keep my "numbers" down, or risk blindness, kidney failure, amputations, and/or death.

Last ditch, was put on Victoza, a precursor to Ozempic. My A1c came down to "manageable " status, and over a period of two years I lost about 50lbs.

Yes, there were uncomfortable side effects, especially at first; cramping, nausea, gas, diarrhea, but they diminished over a period of 3-4 months. And I learned to avoid those foods which triggered the most severe reactions (dairy products and anything excessively "greasy").

After a couple of years shooting up on Victoza once every day (never thought I'd be able to bring myself to do it), my A1c was just over 7.0 and my endocrinologist switched me to Ozempic.

Massive improvement!

In just the 2-3 months I've been on Ozempic, my A1c has dropped to 6.5, my blood sugar readings are in the normal range for a non-diabetic, my blood pressure is around 103/65 (high blood pressure is common in diabetes, and one of the primary "killers" of diabetics), I am within 20 lbs of what I weighted in high school, almost 50 years ago.

It is really great to only "shoot up" once a week, instead of every day. To be able to buy clothes off the rack at a regular department store instead of a special store for "big and tall" folks. It is a much bigger relief to be able to simply stop eating when you feel you've had enough (without consciously making the decision) than I ever thought it would be.

As far as side effects are concerned, different people have different experiences, and for some, those experiences are bad enough to be prohibitive. Perhaps because I had already "acclimated" on Victoza, my experience with Ozempic has been all positive. Although I still have to avoid excessively greasy foods (unless I want to spend time in the bathroom later that night), and I've switched to lactose-free dairy products, I've experienced none of the issues that made Victoza even a minor challenge.

My endocrinologist is even considering taking me off some of my other diabetes medication, since I don't seem to need them and getting my blood sugar levels too low is now an actual concern!

And it is really nice to have "abs" again, after all these years (decades)!
edit on 18-8-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2023 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

So what happened to just cutting calories and going for long walks to lose weight?

Too much work for some folks .

The thing is cutting calories and exercising doesn't really work for most people. You cut calories and your body is going to go into starvation mode. And long walks don't really use up all that many calories.

I believe the past few decades people have purposely been lied to about weight loss.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join