It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden APPROVES NYC congestion charge that would bill drivers $23 a day on top of existing tolls

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray

originally posted by: angus1745
If it keeps the likes of you out of NYC it's awesome.

Cheap at twice the price. Maybe this will keep out the riff-raff.

Go Joe Biden, tax the cheuchtars. Somebody should have to cough up for the idiotic toilet fest T**** and his star wars bar of a-holes have created.

I hope NY becomes so prohibitively expensive that only real people can afford to be there.

This can’t be a real post.

It’s got to be an evil conservative trying to make liberals look stupid.

They hate conservatives. They always have. They say there’s literally no difference between us and the Taliban.
I think if conservatives were smart enough to realize the left aren’t being hyperbolic, they would have turned this kinetic years ago.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:21 AM
link   
No one is going to pay that #.

It'd be cheaper to sit on your # and collect unemployment.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

The cost of a round trip by car from areas like Princeton, New Jersey, could be as much as $120.

I thought one of the actual prescribed jobs of the Federal government was to facilitate commerce between states, not completely destroy it!

Anyway does the congestion charge apply to Presidential motorcades as well? Make Biden stop and pay like the rest of us! (Though of course they’ll completely exempt themselves.)

What is the mechanism that allows a US President to levy NY taxes on NY citizens ?
I’m sure Hochul will be thrilled to let Biden do whatever he wants, but constitutionally….. legally ?

There is no mechanism that allows a US President to levy taxes on NY citizens.

Which is why it didn't happen.

Which is why the OP is false.

Actually, the OP contains two lies.

First, Biden didn't approve or disapprove of anything in this action. The action was a finding from the Federal Highway Administration regarding the environmental impact of the proposed fee increase. As such, the finding would have been signed by the Administrator of the Federal Highway Administration and submitted to the Environmental Protection Agency, as required by law. It never would have come close to the President's desk.

If you read the article in the Daily Mail, you would have seen that the main finding of the Federal Highway Administration was as follows:

"The environmental assessment found the charge would cut traffic, improve air quality, make buses more reliable and increase transit use by 1-2 percent."

That leads to the second lie of the OP. Nobody--neither NYC nor the Federal Government--has yet approved the fee increase.

Here's what actually happened: Whenever a significant project is proposed that could have a significant impact on the environment, the Environmental Protection Act (signed into law by Richard Nixon in 1970) requires that an environmental assessment be conducted to estimate what impact the project might have on the environment--positive, negative, or neutral. In proposing this fee increase, NYC is following that law. Because the proposed change would involve highways--some of which are federally funded--the Federal Highway Administration was asked to conduct the assessment. Now that they've conducted the assessment and handed it off to the Environmental Protection Agency, it will go out for public comment for 30 days, after which the EPA will decide to either accept it, modify it, or reject it.

After the EPA comes to a final conclusion, NYC can decide to proceed or not. If they do decide to proceed, that will be their decision alone. The Federal Government can not make them implement the fee.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

originally posted by: gb540

The cost of a round trip by car from areas like Princeton, New Jersey, could be as much as $120.

I thought one of the actual prescribed jobs of the Federal government was to facilitate commerce between states, not completely destroy it!

Anyway does the congestion charge apply to Presidential motorcades as well? Make Biden stop and pay like the rest of us! (Though of course they’ll completely exempt themselves.)

What is the mechanism that allows a US President to levy NY taxes on NY citizens ?
I’m sure Hochul will be thrilled to let Biden do whatever he wants, but constitutionally….. legally ?

There is no mechanism that allows a US President to levy taxes on NY citizens.

Which is why it didn't happen.

Which is why the OP is false.

Actually, the OP contains two lies.

First, Biden didn't approve or disapprove of anything in this action. The action was a finding from the Federal Highway Administration regarding the environmental impact of the proposed fee increase. As such, the finding would have been signed by the Administrator of the Federal Highway Administration and submitted to the Environmental Protection Agency, as required by law. It never would have come close to the President's desk.

If you read the article in the Daily Mail, you would have seen that the main finding of the Federal Highway Administration was as follows:

"The environmental assessment found the charge would cut traffic, improve air quality, make buses more reliable and increase transit use by 1-2 percent."

That leads to the second lie of the OP. Nobody--neither NYC nor the Federal Government--has yet approved the fee increase.

Here's what actually happened: Whenever a significant project is proposed that could have a significant impact on the environment, the Environmental Protection Act (signed into law by Richard Nixon in 1970) requires that an environmental assessment be conducted to estimate what impact the project might have on the environment--positive, negative, or neutral. In proposing this fee increase, NYC is following that law. Because the proposed change would involve highways--some of which are federally funded--the Federal Highway Administration was asked to conduct the assessment. Now that they've conducted the assessment and handed it off to the Environmental Protection Agency, it will go out for public comment for 30 days, after which the EPA will decide to either accept it, modify it, or reject it.

After the EPA comes to a final conclusion, NYC can decide to proceed or not. If they do decide to proceed, that will be their decision alone. The Federal Government can not make them implement the fee.

Ah, so a Biden agency recommended, the only question being whether Biden officially approves or supports the recommendation. And he would need Hochul to take it up if he really digs it.
Not that far from the OP / title, at all.
You could have simply said that, instead of a 1500 word “deny deny deny”. Your little magnum opus sounds like no such thing ever happened, in the least.

Naughty naughty ……..
edit on 7-5-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Dear Yankees:

You made your bed now lay in it, stay there and clean up your own mess.

Sincerely the rest of the united states.

P.S. if you do escape STOP VOTING THE WAY YOU DID.

Thanks.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Magnivea
Another reason NY needs to be split up. The last 3 elections, maybe 3 counties north of NYC went blue. 3. Out of 55.

It was actually 16, not counting the 5 NYC counties and Nassau.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Can you point to the specific language in those laws that you are talking about? 😀

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I am not American, I am from Germany but here my post applies, too.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Another reason NY needs to be split up. The last 3 elections, maybe 3 counties north of NYC went blue. 3. Out of 55.

It was actually 16, not counting the 5 NYC counties and Nassau.

So 22 out of 55.
Distinction without a difference.
Basically the same as the original point.
You and Boomer lol.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I meant for governor. I don't know about the last election really, I paid no attention because everyone knew Hochul was going to win because of the welfare city anyway.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

22 out of 62 more accurately. If including the dumpster that needs to be removed from this state like any other tumor or malignant growth.
edit on 5/7/23 by Magnivea because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   

a reply to: stevieray

22 out of 62 more accurately. If including the dumpster that needs to be removed from this state like any other tumor or malignant growth.

Just saying that good old Augie had no point but to derail.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:28 PM
link   
They're doing it in London as well. Coordinated detrimental actions worldwide, all aimed at increasing the cost of living & driving people to stress, frustration & anger. So that they will pop off at the slightest triggering event, I presume. It acn only be seen as a destructive move, based once again on the pure BS of the Net Zero objectives, the 17 sustainable goals of the United Nations. I seriously hope we start to kick back against this sort of thing, the rich don't mind as they can afford it, but the poor are priced out of using a motor vehicle, where they might have exceptional needs for one, such as the existence of a disability which limits mobility (such as my own circumstances). If there are no exceptions for drivers with disabilities in the UK, then a petition will surely be formed at the very least.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Go Joe Biden, tax the cheuchtars. Somebody should have to cough up for the idiotic toilet fest T**** and his star wars bar of a-holes have created.

I hope NY becomes so prohibitively expensive that only real people can afford to be there.

Dear God, please let this happen. Amen.

I just want it to be a reality TV show and watch the meltdowns in NYC.

Who the F is gonna make my coffee?!?!!?.!!..!!

Idiocracy at its finest...

Who knew that Escape From New York was an instruction manual and not a sci-fi B movie?

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Notabot12345666

We know they hate us; we just don't believe they're brace enough to do much more than shake their fists and howl like a bunch of angry monkeys.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 07:57 PM
link   

and who decides which is riff and which is raff?

it'll burn to the ground in the name of neely soon anyway.

how about cow catchers on the subway trains? sounds cheaper.

posted on May, 7 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: angus1745

Peace, dude. No one wants to move to your rat-infested crap hole. Your hell hole is safe.

They'd have to pay me way, way more than just the break-even markup in salary to move there and put up with that place.
edit on 7-5-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I meant for governor.

It was still more than three for all of them.

posted on May, 8 2023 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital

and who decides which is riff and which is raff?

it'll burn to the ground in the name of neely soon anyway.

how about cow catchers on the subway trains? sounds cheaper.

It’s funny, how can you have your needed riots mobs and thug attacks on the right, without the great unwashed ?
The proper white leftist rich, will have to bus them in ! Intolerable ! Scandalous !
Fetch me my smoking jacket, Lovey.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Uh, no, Biden did not approve the congestion charge. If you had read the first paragraph of the article you cited, you would know that:

The Biden administration has approved the release of the final environmental assessment for New York City's congestion pricing plan for public comment, a key step before the project can be green-lit and finally go ahead.

It's New York State and/or City government that is planning on enacting this measure. The Biden administration only ok'd the environmental assessment.

And other ginormous cities, such as London and Singapore, have already enacted such measures.

Public transportation did take a big hit because of the Pandemic, so anything that helps pub. tran. out is good -- that is, if you don't want the southern and eastern seaboards to be underwater in a couple of decades.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join