It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I was reading an article this morning about the differences between North and South when it comes to food and one of the things was coffee. It said that people from the South prefer their coffee home brewed, but Northerners like instant. I'm Southern, so I've drank brewed all my life.

www.giveitlove.com...

If a Southerner visits a Northern friend, they might make coffee differently. Instead of home brewing it, many Northerners use instant coffee--which Southerners do not understand. They also make a lot more iced coffee than Southerners have ever seen.

In the South, pots of coffee are home-brewed, and instant or iced coffees are rare. But they might be surprised to learn that half of the world prefers instant coffee. In Australia and New Zealand, people drink instant coffee 75% of the time.

My main question is : Is there such thing as good instant coffee ? I tried instant decades ago, but it was just that Folgers stuff and that was enough to put me off for life. Nasty, bitter and bland. I know some of you roast and grind your own beans and all that, but I'm asking about instant. Is it just what you are used to, a taste preference or is there really instant coffee out there that deserves more than a sneer as you pass it in the grocery store ?

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Since I had to be drug kicking and screaming to coffee, it's brewed or nothing to fit my tastes.

I have tried instant and I don't even see it being acceptable.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

It all depends on how picky you are, there are some decent enough instant coffees. I know cause Im not much of a coffee drinker, except if Im up super early for business or a road trip some where.

My daughter's STB husband swears by the coffee press, and it does make a fine cup or 2 of java. Pop a cup or two of water in the microwave and get it boiling hot use the press as per directions. Works for me quick and easy and taste better than most powdered instants. But Im one of those were I cup isn't enough but 3 cups is too many, I love the caffeine kick, but I crash pretty hard and I don't want to drink it all day.

When I used to travel occasionally the hotels would have instant coffees, but as far as taste Im not a good judge I'll drink it when its burnt to sludge just for the kick. But the rest of my family are coffee junkies my sister likes the Starbucks medium roast Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee Medium Roast, while my brother leans towards the camping and survival brands

www.goodhousekeeping.com...

the best instant Ive had are the ones were it's basically coffee in a teabag and it needs to steep, Ill use 2 bags though because as mentioned I like my coffee strong and bitter, like my women
edit on 19-4-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Instant? Never!!
I use only ground Eight O'Clock Coffee and will only drink it brewed fresh.
Dunkin' Donuts is a good second, and Starbucks coffee is not only expensive, it is also a laxative!

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:16 AM
link   

At the time, nothing was better than a hot cup of Sanka and a game of Parcheesi. I look back fondly but do not wish to return. Like the others, I brew my coffee the normal way now.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Mmm coffee. Being from Brooklyn NY I never knew anyone who made instant coffee. I like my coffee strong as mud.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I'm a dedicated Keurig fan. I use the reusable pod as much as the other pods. When I brewed by the pot I never finished them and that always bugged me because I don't care for it reheated. The Keurig solves that problem nicely.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I live in the north and instant coffee is labeled with a big Mr. Yuck sticker in my opinion. I always home brew. I love Cameron's Highlander Grog. It is the best tasting rocket fuel in the morning.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I’m in Michigan and I have a French press. For years when my buddies and I would go camping, my friend always brought a press because he could just stick it on the fire or stove if we brought one. It’s by far the best way to drink coffee. It’s worth the extra work.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Ummm...I only drink gevalia coffee...usually their columbia grind...and brewed...It's a Swedish coffee company...and the best...

I used to drink Beechnut coffee...that's really tasty as well...but can't seem to find it anywhere...

Almost Canada New York here...so...I guess I shot that theory center mass...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I'm a dedicated Keurig fan. I use the reusable pod as much as the other pods. When I brewed by the pot I never finished them and that always bugged me because I don't care for it reheated. The Keurig solves that problem nicely.

Ummm...I use the keurig as well...however I was really bummed when we had to finally put our old plane Jane keurig to rest...the fancy new variety doesn't allow the use of the reusable little screen pods...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I’ve never found an instant coffee worth a damn from a taste standpoint, and I’ve travelled the world. The only argument for instant coffee is convenience.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ewwwww, instant coffee.

Although I've used it in a steak rub that turned out ridiculously good, as far as drinking it, not since I was in the service and had to use what came in the MRE's.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

French press by me or straight doppio (espresso shot).

But…

In a pinch (or camping, or broke), there is a Mexican brand that comes in a yellow jar that is actually pretty good. The other Mexican brand is labeled as “espresso” and sold in a small container. That one is pretty good but there is so little of it that it feels like a rip off.

(Thanx google!): Cafe Bustello (is the larger one), and, Medaglia D’oro (might not even be Mexican!!)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Freshly roasted beans for me, although I have recently moved to decaf. I hate the filter stuff and can tolerate a Kenco decaf later in the day.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

We have the Ninja system that does single cups.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga
Freshly roasted beans for me, although I have recently moved to decaf. I hate the filter stuff and can tolerate a Kenco decaf later in the day.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Fresh brewed Texas blend from the 7/11 or a Java Monster Loca Moca energy drink. It's easy to over amp on the JMLM, caffeine overload.
edit on 19-4-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Mine works fine. You have to remove the little 2.0 adapter on the bottom to make it fit properly.

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Life-long Northerner here:
Instant coffee sucks.

It is almost as bad as commercial decaf.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join