It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Road trips won’t be fun in a Tesla.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Who can be bothered going on a road trip in an ev.

Especially when the kids are whinging, the dog needs a leak, and it takes hours to charge up.

You really want to get to the destination as quick as possible.

Now we have Easter long weekend , it’s predicted wait times will be long st charging points.
Who really wants or needs stress on range and charge anxiety.

www.theage.com.au...

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 12:59 AM
link   
100 Years ago many people were screaming that cars would never replace horses.

Guess what happened.

Most families in Aussieland have two cars. Use the EV around town, charge it from your own solar panels and have the gasss guzzler for road trips.

I get you don't like EVs. Six threads worth!

Blend your requirements rather than polarity talking points.

P

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Make sure to get a towing package and just rent a mobile 5000-10,000 watt generator. If you're lucky the EV will charge even on the highway.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
That picture is worth a thousand words I don't need to say anything 👌👌👌

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Do it yourself Hybrid.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Meh. The "takes hours to charge" thing is a myth. It takes 15 minutes to add 200 miles of range if you use a supercharger or fast charger. 30 minutes or less to get to basically full charge from less than 10% battery.

www.tesla.com...

These type of hyperbolic myths are not dissuading anyone from buying electric cars because they are demonstrably untrue and just make people who know it's not true tune out. I like to focus on the cost, both human and environmental of not only mining the components needed to manufacture the batteries but also the slave labor, and the fact that we are still relying on fossil fuels and other "dirty" energy sources to create the electricity to charge the batteries.
edit on 4-4-2023 by Antimony because: additional thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Guess what happened.

Most families in Aussieland have two cars. Use the EV around town, charge it from your own solar panels and have the gasss guzzler for road trips.

P

The difference between the horse and buggy compared to the combustion engine is huge, it took Ford making cars affordable before they gained wide enough use and much less acceptance.

As a person who had numerous occupations where driving was essential, routinely drive 12-14 hour days all on a tight schedule and not always in areas where you could an easy recharge.

I would have to have a hybrid at the very least to get the mileage I needed daily. Right now in my current marketplace, they are 7-15,000 dollars more expensive and that's to what seems like baseline models. I won't even get into being able to do maintenance on the fly, on location with basic tools and knowledge.

All the while it looks as if the factories and jets contribute far more damaging pollution, and your EV use needs minerals for batteries which is not a clean process at all.

fee.org...

At one time, “Saving the Environment” and “Fighting Climate Change” were synonymous. That is no longer true. The quest for Clean Energy through electric vehicles (EVs) epitomizes “the end justifies the means.”

According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), an electric vehicle requires six times the mineral inputs of a comparable internal combustion engine vehicle (ICE). EV batteries are very heavy and are made with some exotic, expensive, toxic, and flammable materials.

The primary metals in EV batteries include Nickel, Lithium, Cobalt, Copper and Rare Earth metals (Neodymium and Dysprosium). The mining of these materials, their use in manufacturing and their ultimate disposal all present significant environmental challenges. Ninety percent of the ICE lead-acid batteries are recycled while only five percent of the EV lithium-ion batteries are.

Oil has been so demonized that we tend to overlook some of its positive traits as a power source relative to the battery power of EVs. The power for an internal combustion engine, oil, is a homogeneous commodity found abundantly around the world (especially in our own backyard). In 2019, the four top oil producing nations were the United States, Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Canada. In contrast, the power for EVs is dependent on a mixture of diverse commodities from just a handful of third world countries.

In spite of the environmental hysteria about oil drilling, the surface area disturbed is relatively small since the oil is extracted from under the ground. In contrast, many of the materials prominent in the clean energy revolution are obtained through open-pit horizontal mining which is extremely damaging to wide areas of the environment.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

I meant hours including waiting times to actually plug in.

Though ev’s really are dirty with thd use of Slave labour, children dying in lithium mines. Snd tearing up of pristine reserves.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I am honest I don’t like electric vehicles, as they really are not a long term resolution.

Along with the use of child shave labour, tearing up the vast swathes of countryside to mine minerals for use in production.

The fact is that the batteries are mostly not being recycled, and when awaiting recycling are still a highly flammable product.

Can you imagine if a warehouse goes up in flame the batteries batteries it could burn for months.

Csn you imagine the co2 emissions.

Though a Tesla battery farm caught fire in Geelong burned for over a week.

This was only one bloc of batteries.

www.abc.net.au...

Plus can you imagine the unknown chemical elements that are being emitted.

The carcinogens.

I font think I have ever heard of a petroleum car burning for days, or a warehouse of internal combustion engines burning for more than a week.

edit on 4-4-2023 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Lol just buy a hybrid.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You are forgetting the fact that several US states and I think even some countries - IIRC - are planning on banning internal combustion engines in the near future.

Then, one won't have a choice.

Given their inherently sorry range couple with the fact that the power grid is already stressed, the whole scam comes unraveled.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Guess what happened.

P

Exactly. There's always someone who comments on an EV thread with "What if I want to tow my 40' camper 600 miles up a mountain range?" News flash, EV's are not a great solution for everyone. That doesn't mean they shouldn't exist. The tech is constantly improving and evolving. Like it or not, ICE's are slowly being phased out. Will they be completely replaced in my lifetime? Probably not, but eventually they will be.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Guess what happened.

P

120 years ago, there were evs.. the innovation was pushed to the side for Rockefeller 's waste product called gasoline.

Imagine our tech today, if gas hadn't been pushed.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

I like to focus on the cost, both human and environmental of not only mining the components needed to manufacture the batteries but also the slave labor, and the fact that we are still relying on fossil fuels and other "dirty" energy sources to create the electricity to charge the batteries.

I have done the same thing. Only to watch the eyes of the stupid EV lovers glaze over in disregard. They don't care about the environment; they just want the "shiney new thing". And many just want to virtue signal their care and concern for the environment.

Anyone who buys the first gen Wet Lithium battery powered EV's is a total idiot. Never be a first adopter. Already, better, less expensive batteries are coming onto the market. They charge in half the time, they are 50% lighter and hold twice the charge without degradation over time.

Not that any of it really matters. By the time normal people can afford an EV, the controllers will have locked them up in their 15 minute cities anyway.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what you think. All EVs have to do is solve the transportation issue for most of the people most of the time. They don't have to solve outlier cases. Yes, some people drive 12 hours a day. So what? Most people commute a few minutes a day, less than 50 miles a day average. EVs are perfect for that. "Fill up" once a week at home just like an ICE car. If you are going to go all "woke" on us and claim lithium involves child labor, #1, you're wrong, and #2, lithium is on the way out as a battery component. By the time you get around to buying an EV it won't be an issue at all. Besides, why are you all of a sudden interested in child labor? You ought to do that every time you eat a strawberry.

You won't have a choice anyway. ICE cars will shortly be legislated out of existence.

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Stanley Steamers would still be a big product then. But then they would probably be off coal by now. Probably would be running on alcohol burners. Or a compressed flammable gas like Hydrogen or Methane. I wonder what a 2023 Stanley Steamer Deluxe would look like. And gas stations would have free water with every fill!

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith
Is this thread only about Teslas or is any EV okay to write experiences about?

posted on Apr, 4 2023 @ 04:43 PM
link   

wow

posted on Apr, 6 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

What could have been. Especially if you add 21st Century tech to it.

new topics

top topics

join