It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for people that are going through their very first Layoff

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I guess we cant say learn to code.... maybe learn to make a latte?

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You have to manage your career like a heartless mercenary these days. You work for who pays you the most and gives best experience personally that can advance career. Nothing else matters and you need to be ready to jump ship at anytime.

A lot of people are going to learn that lesson this go round.

posted on Jan, 26 2023 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here is my advice, even if you can afford it and you think you can easily get another job - do not have more than a one to two month gap in your resume.

Employers hate the unemployed and negotiating is really difficult. So if you get fired in May, you can't go past June without a job. It's so important to start looking before the layoff. If it doesn't happen, you can always turn down the job. You don't like it you can always leave. It's better to look like a job hopper than someone who couldn't find a job.

Avoid contract work because chances are that will just add another layoff to your resume. Also, don't think you have to keep the same level or lower - maybe that will happen but apply for jobs that would be considered a step up too.

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
Here is my advice, even if you can afford it and you think you can easily get another job - do not have more than a one to two month gap in your resume.

Employers hate the unemployed and negotiating is really difficult. So if you get fired in May, you can't go past June without a job. It's so important to start looking before the layoff. If it doesn't happen, you can always turn down the job. You don't like it you can always leave. It's better to look like a job hopper than someone who couldn't find a job.

Avoid contract work because chances are that will just add another layoff to your resume. Also, don't think you have to keep the same level or lower - maybe that will happen but apply for jobs that would be considered a step up too.

OR use that time to better yourself and learn a knew skill/trade. That is acceptable on a resume.

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Daughter2

Depends on the field. In my field I loved contract work. My husband provided all benefits so I enjoyed the higher pay of contract work. Also in all of my contracts I was the one that left, I was never laid off. I was even told that there would be a spot for me if I ever wanted to come back. I really enjoyed the freedom to work when I wanted and to not work.
It has never ever been an issue in regards to the gap in my employment. I even went a few years. One place did test me on some technical knowledge, but I suppose I passed because I was hired on the spot.

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Avoid contract work because chances are that will just add another layoff to your resume.

Well...I can say for the company I've been with for the last decade and a half, just about every job worth having is 'contract' to start, even biochemist. It appears the company wants a few months to check someone out to see if they're a good fit and can almost hear the frustration over hiring full time people popping in for a month, adding it to their resume, and leaving again. Once hired, you may be able to get a vibe or ask around to see how often 'temp-to-hire' happens. Sometimes companies will repeat, "this is just for one project" so there's a hint. Or, they may say, "we'll see where we are in six months" as code for determining whether they like your performance.

Also, don't think you have to keep the same level or lower - maybe that will happen but apply for jobs that would be considered a step up too.

Definitely, this. Never feel reaching your goal sooner.
edit on 27-1-2023 by saint4God because: details

edit on 27-1-2023 by saint4God because: Grammar, details

posted on Jan, 27 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   

first Layoff

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Do your job, and do it well, but don’t go all crazy. Looking back, I should not have worked as hard as I did at 99% of the places I did.

In my experience (just retired after 40+ years in IT) you SHOULD work as hard as you can. Success comes by standing out. To do that, you need to do the job better than everyone else. I have no regrets giving it all I could for all those years but I have to say, retirement is awesome😁

I’m not saying it never works, but often all working hard gets you is more work.
I’m not saying slack off, quite the opposite. Do your job, punch out and have a good life.

Work smarter, not harder.

I worked my a** off for a tech company for 25 years. I am grateful for having a job all those years, but I have to say, you can work like a dog but if you aren’t a member of the inner circle, it’s for nothing. I worked long hours and sometimes weekends, only to see favorites and management pets leapfrog over myself and others who had been there a long time, into better positions in the company. The only loyalty the higher ups have is to members of their own class. It’s ok to work hard, but my advice is if you want to work hard, find a way to do it for yourself, otherwise you are just paving someone else’s road to success.

posted on Jan, 29 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

The only loyalty the higher ups have is to members of their own class. It’s ok to work hard, but my advice is if you want to work hard, find a way to do it for yourself, otherwise you are just paving someone else’s road to success.

If I knew then what I know now……..

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
It’s ok to work hard, but my advice is if you want to work hard, find a way to do it for yourself, otherwise you are just paving someone else’s road to success.

Good statement about motivation. I'd like to add as an opinion that you can also work hard for God and family, both of which provide internally, eternally rich rewards.

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   

a reply to: saint4God

3.) Don't play games with your employer. Pop media says "quiet quitting" is the way to go or other minimal efforts, making demands, or using work hours to side-hustle...just don't. The risk-reward is not there, you're only harming yourself long term. Be like Rick Astley, never give up, never let down, never run around and desert.

Sorry going to have to disagree with you there.
Quiet quitting is doing no more than absolutely necessary. Remember your job will give you the ax without a second thought. I’ve seen people put years, and years of their PRIME into their work over their family, just for what? To get the ax. Do your job, and do it well, but don’t go all crazy. Looking back, I should not have worked as hard as I did at 99% of the places I did.

I do agree with not doing a side hustle at work, because that is time theft, which I believe is completely different.

IMO you should always do your best at work regardless of the circumstances. It your duty as an employee and is a measure of upright principle as much as saying please and thank you. If you don't want to give your best there, then go elsewhere.

Notice that I did not say give your ALL. Giving your best means while you are there you are performing at a solid level and not knowingly slacking or wasting time.

Your family comes first and when it is time to go home, then you give your best to them and forget work. It's a job and will be there when you return. Giving your best doesn't mean sacrificing principles and all waking hours for them. It just means that while you are there you don't intentionally work the system -- it will be extracted in some form at a later date if you do.

Falun Dafa Hao.

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

Notice that I did not say give your ALL. Giving your best means while you are there you are performing at a solid level and not knowingly slacking or wasting time.

You are taking out of both sides of your neck. You are saying give your BEST, but don’t give your all. Maybe you don’t understand what quiet quitting is.

It means if you are hired to cut 12 cookies, you cut 12 cookies. Not 11, not 13 but 12.

I gave my best for years and it literally just got me more work. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It only benefits the employers. This generation is waking up to all the exploitation that has been done in previous years and I applaud them.
Why do you think the people at the top are trying to force everyone back into submission with the high cost of everything?

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Dont discount education, at 49 I had to do a career change because my body couldnt continue in the job I had.

I acknowledged reality got educated and started a new career at 49, in just a couple years I am close to doubling my annual salary from my previous career.

But I only got this new path because I kept learning increasing my marketable skills, and when I got a call and an offer I said sure ill move the family 4400 miles to start it.

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Dont discount education, at 49 I had to do a career change because my body couldnt continue in the job I had.

I acknowledged reality got educated and started a new career at 49, in just a couple years I am close to doubling my annual salary from my previous career.

But I only got this new path because I kept learning increasing my marketable skills, and when I got a call and an offer I said sure ill move the family 4400 miles to start it.

Bravo to you! I’m about the same age as you and contemplating what my second act will be.
My husband thinks i’m nuts (I am) but I’ve had a dream of opening an ice cream shop.

posted on Jan, 30 2023 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

if you find the right price for the property and location do it, we only get one shot at it.

If you cant make a ton of money (so you put up with the BS), do something you love, and if your really lucky you will make a bunch of money doing something you love.

ETA: I like my new job because I never know if I am going to be bored, jumping out of my mind, or thinking dark thoughts about the idiot I have to walk through a procedure my 4 year old can do.
edit on 30-1-2023 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

if you find the right price for the property and location do it, we only get one shot at it.

If you cant make a ton of money (so you put up with the BS), do something you love, and if your really lucky you will make a bunch of money doing something you love.

ETA: I like my new job because I never know if I am going to be bored, jumping out of my mind, or thinking dark thoughts about the idiot I have to walk through a procedure my 4 year old can do.

I’m not going to do it because #1 I have weak wrists 🤣 and I dislike ill behaved children (which is a lot of them now)
So it would end up being a pretty frustrating gig.

Unless I open an ice cream shop for adults, charge a fortune and come up with concoctions like beer ice cream??

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I am in the tech industry and have been laid off numerous times. Here are some things I have discovered.

Some do networking that involves going to the business and talking to the employees there. If you are in an area that has many companies in your field, try those.

Trying to find work through the Internet is very difficult. Many job postings are fake. It seems like employers are just getting pools of applicants for possible future use. There are thousands upon thousands of people frequenting the USAJobs website searching for the lucrative can't get laid off positions. Forget about it, may as well play the lottery hoping you will win.

Seek employment with your last employer by looking at their openings and applying for a position. Jobs may not be to your liking put it keeps your foot in the door.

My layoffs have extended from a few months to years. Don't give up, persevere. Take a side job while looking for employment. The wages might not be all that great but its something. Don't use your credit cards. They may be needed later. Employment opportunities usually pop up unexpectedly. Keep a reserve to be able to relocate if needed.

My last layoff was very lengthy. I left the job because after a contractor change, the new company expected me to work with a 30% pay cut, which was totally unacceptable from my point of view.
After some years of applying and sending resumes everywhere, a company unexpectedly offered me an opportunity, flew me up to there main office for orientation, gave me a company credit card, a laptop and sent me out to do field work. It is contract work but companies usually retain trained staff when contractors are changed and when there is a stable relationship between the client and the contract.

edit on 31-1-2023 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I have to disagree with you, even with a surplus of jobs that group is already being managed out of workplaces and they'll go in the first wave of redundancies.. it was the same with those who worked to rule, quiet quitting is not new and companies have had to deal with similar trends before..

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 02:18 AM
link   
have to thrown in here understand the rules/laws in your state/region/country in terms of how redundancies can happen in your area.(waiting periods, selection rules, payment rules outside of contractual obligations etc)

Musk sparked a furious debate here not because of what he'd do in terms of layoffs but that the media pretending he would apply USA rules outside the us. and then we had the counter media claims he couldn't lay anyone off as our laws where better, but the truth was really between the 2 so speak to people who know the laws and can give advice there'll always be a free source of advice to look into..

until a recent redundancy here in the uk I didn't know the UK gov has a redundancy payment service that can make redundancy payments when companies go bust.. its less than contractual payments but something is better than nothing..
edit on 31-1-2023 by nickyw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2023 @ 05:37 AM
link   

a reply to: Halfswede

You are taking out of both sides of your neck. You are saying give your BEST, but don’t give your all. Maybe you don’t understand what quiet quitting is.

It means if you are hired to cut 12 cookies, you cut 12 cookies. Not 11, not 13 but 12.

I gave my best for years and it literally just got me more work. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. It only benefits the employers. This generation is waking up to all the exploitation that has been done in previous years and I applaud them.
Why do you think the people at the top are trying to force everyone back into submission with the high cost of everything?

I tried to be clear that one had to do with the quality of effort, but maybe I wasn't. It isn't talking out both sides of my neck.

When you are there you work your hardest. Giving your ALL, on the other hand, meant you prioritize being there over the other things in your life and wind up working weekends and overtime to the detriment of your family. That isn't right.

Giving your BEST means that during the time you are there you are working and acting in a way that you can be proud of. Quiet quitting is performing at a level that maybe doesn't invoke much pride, either. When someone (maybe coworker) asks a favor you just tell them, "sorry bud"?

-Falun Dafa Hao!
edit on 31-1-2023 by Halfswede because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join