It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice for people that are going through their very first Layoff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Many of us have been through it, layoffs.
Being in the tech industry there wasn’t anyone I knew that wasn’t affected by the recession of 2008.

Now we are starting to see the same thing and it is a little weird to watch the younger generation go through it for the first time.
It actually brings a lot of old feelings back.
I have some advice, and for those of you that have also gone through it please share!

My number one advice, and PLEASE please please please listen to this, IT is NOT the end of the world. Do not get stressed and sick over it, it isn’t worth it. You will be OK.

Second most important advice, be flexible. I saw it first hand, the people that refused to relocate for work were significantly stunted in their career.

You will probably go through the stages of grief regarding job loss, including anger. Do not use that energy against your old job. Always remember, you are simply a number, they can cut you in one second and not think twice. You should go into EVERY job with that in mind. Always do what is best for YOU and your FAMILY. Loyalty was something that died in the 80’s, it’s gone, this is a new world, only be loyal to YOU.

An I’ve saved the best for last. Sometimes, when things like layoffs happen, it seems very bad and devastating, but the reality is that it often ushers in something much better and a different direction in your life that you were too afraid to take.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

sensible advice.

Take the benefits, take time to reflect on what's important, and find something you love to do.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Curb your spending now...even if you have savings!

Live like you are already flat broke!

I say this because in the current economy...finding another job may prove to be more difficult than it was before and with inflation driving through the roof...your dollars aren't going to stretch near as far!

If you are lucky enough to qualify for unemployment...save as much as you can! Cut non-essentials out of your life and don't spend money on anything that you don't need!

Apply for jobs that you would have never even considered a few years ago...be humble...as you said ".. the reality is that it often ushers in something much better and a different direction in your life that you were too afraid to take..."! Very wise words! You never know what is in store and it might surprise you!

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jerryznv

Curb your spending now...even if you have savings!

Oh my goodness, thank you!!! Totally forgot about that one, and that advice should actually be #1
I have a relative that knew they were going to be laid off, YET they proceeded with doing some expensive
Landscaping. I asked them if they were crazy. It did take a while to find employment and they were really hurting and I actually even bought them food!

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:42 PM
link   
All good advice. Also don’t sit on your ass, be aggressive and get out there looking.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Dont rely on govt to fix problems, especially the ones they created.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As someone who has been through this, try to reduce debt and expenses as much as possible. Can you lower your mobile phone plan and home internet plan. Most people pay for more data than they ever use.

Also don't be afraid to take a lower paying job. My benefits were running out and I saw a job that was 10k below what I had been making. I applied for it anyway and got the job, plus they offered me more money to come. Within 6 months I was making what I had been before I was laid off.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I need to be better at this

You never know when you could be jobless. and savings go fast.
i buy too much unnecessary stuff
books
films
booze
snacks

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

I need to be better at this

You never know when you could be jobless. and savings go fast.
i buy too much unnecessary stuff
books
films
booze
snacks

While I agree we could all be better at this...I hardly view booze and snacks as unnecessary!

Books and films...ya get rid of that crap...but booze and snacks while your unemployed seems essential!

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I did read something that made me chuckle a bit.

A google employee was angry he worked for years there and got laid off by email.
Seems very cold, but again, they are not your family. It’s a transaction of your time for service.

I see a lot of pity parties going on and I hope we weren’t as bad in 2008, but we probably were.
I recall a lot of whining going on back then too. It sucks, but you’ll get over it!

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Whatever you do, don't be coerced into getting a covid jab or any experimental jab for work.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

sensible advice.

Take the benefits, take time to reflect on what's important, and find something you love to do.

All the above plus enjoy your free time....As I was starting my Engineering career a friend told me that recessions came in about every 10-15 years and if I didn't want to be unemployed to take a job in government...that was 40 years ago and he was right then & now.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Don't enable me! LOL

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
LinkedIn always helped me when looking for work in the same industry

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Great idea for a thread and kudos to all the above advice. Three things to add (with some overlap to what was said already):

1.) Throw darts at the dartboard, see what sticks. My current job sounded awful on paper (manufacturing, off-shifts, etc.) but was a great lead-in to becoming a biochemist ten years later. You never know what opportunities can help later on as well. Get a temp agency involved, church, college, any local community to support. Even volunteer work shows you're doing something valuable with your time.

2.) Trade up. Some people tend to 'swing from the fences', quitting jobs before having a better offer. Hang in there if you can, speed up the resume sending & interviewing, but try not to leave anyone dependent on you in a lurch.

3.) Don't play games with your employer. Pop media says "quiet quitting" is the way to go or other minimal efforts, making demands, or using work hours to side-hustle...just don't. The risk-reward is not there, you're only harming yourself long term. Be like Rick Astley, never give up, never let down, never run around and desert.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: saint4God

3.) Don't play games with your employer. Pop media says "quiet quitting" is the way to go or other minimal efforts, making demands, or using work hours to side-hustle...just don't. The risk-reward is not there, you're only harming yourself long term. Be like Rick Astley, never give up, never let down, never run around and desert.

Sorry going to have to disagree with you there.
Quiet quitting is doing no more than absolutely necessary. Remember your job will give you the ax without a second thought. I’ve seen people put years, and years of their PRIME into their work over their family, just for what? To get the ax. Do your job, and do it well, but don’t go all crazy. Looking back, I should not have worked as hard as I did at 99% of the places I did.

I do agree with not doing a side hustle at work, because that is time theft, which I believe is completely different.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Do your job, and do it well, but don’t go all crazy. Looking back, I should not have worked as hard as I did at 99% of the places I did.

In my experience (just retired after 40+ years in IT) you SHOULD work as hard as you can. Success comes by standing out. To do that, you need to do the job better than everyone else. I have no regrets giving it all I could for all those years but I have to say, retirement is awesome😁

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Do your job, and do it well, but don’t go all crazy. Looking back, I should not have worked as hard as I did at 99% of the places I did.

In my experience (just retired after 40+ years in IT) you SHOULD work as hard as you can. Success comes by standing out. To do that, you need to do the job better than everyone else. I have no regrets giving it all I could for all those years but I have to say, retirement is awesome😁

I’m not saying it never works, but often all working hard gets you is more work.
I’m not saying slack off, quite the opposite. Do your job, punch out and have a good life.

Work smarter, not harder.

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Always be learning new skills and always have a side hustle. ALWAYS.
For example, my side hustle is graphic design - doing everything from logos, to cards, to posters to tshirt designs. For a couple of years, I added in freelance journalism.
Take some classes to learn a new skill, if you will need some type of certification, do it. Or watch # loads of YT video if you dont need that piece of paper.

Never ever box yourself into one skill. Know many.

And if you get laid off, take whatever is available while looking for that higher paying, higher skilled job that you were laid off from.

All of that may require less sleep - suck it up. Eat healthy, find out if you are vit deficient and get what you need and hustle.

Then reward yourself now and then. Not everyday at Starbucks (or whatever) but now and then.
edit on 2023 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Was just chatting about this with wife. The biggest thing i've noticed is that many of these employees feel betrayed. They bought into the we are caring family BS many of these tech companies were selling.

I do think it is messed up some long time employees didnt even get a phone call. Saw a story about google layoffs and a few people who were there for 15 plus years said no one called. Just got an email and computer cut off....

The reality is companies are only beholden to shareholders. They dont give a bucket of hamster vomit about any employee, even the corporate drones.

You have to manage your career like a heartless mercenary these days. You work for who pays you the most and gives best experience personally that can advance career. Nothing else matters and you need to be ready to jump ship at anytime.

My wife works in tech and networks a lot with recruiters and headhunters. She always got a backup plan brewing. Get thank linked in updated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join