It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Win 11 home edition registration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I've seen conflicting information about this on the internet.

Can Win 11 home edition be installed with using a local account only and avoiding registration with Microsoft ?

Thanks!

Cheers

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
Depends on the build number you are installing. It involves turning off your internet connection. Here is Install Win 11 Home with no MIcrosoft account

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   

You don't have to register/activate Windows. It will still work with two caveats. There will be a watermark on the screen and you won't be able to customize your desktop environment ( wallpapers etc ).

During set-up you can turn off telemetry for most things but it's still going to phone home unless you do a lot of digging and tweaking - and even then I still wouldn't assume it's not checking in with MS.

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 08:47 AM
link   

You can create a local account. But I've done it after creating a microsoft account.

So create a MS account and then make a local account. Set that as admin.

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
I've seen conflicting information about this on the internet.

Can Win 11 home edition be installed with using a local account only and avoiding registration with Microsoft ?

Just don't connect it to the internet when going through the setup screens (different if you are installing from scrathc vs firing up a new one you bought online or from a store).

Of course, they try hard to hide how to create a local account, but if you look carefully, you'll see the option there (it is usually in small letters, and is a clickable link).

You do have to (or at least, you want to) ACTIVATE it, but you don't have to register it (two different thgings).

Also, as far as disabling the telemetry, there is an excellent piece of freeware called O&O ShutUp that makes it very easy to turn off a whole lot more than you can just using the basic Windows options. Just be careful if you go beyond the recommended things to disable, because disabling some things will definitely break things. The good news is you can always revert any changes you make.

I'd just disable what is recommended, then if you want to deep dive on the others, do that on a case by case basis.

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Wow!

Thanks all, super tips. I may get a new laptop and see all the ones for sale have Win 11 on them.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 09:59 AM
link   

you can only install windows 11 home with an online account. the only way around it is to remove your network card so it doesn't register with the system at install time.

after installation, you create a local account using netplwiz and then delete the online account.

use linux instead.
edit on 18-11-2022 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rounda

Hey rounda,

I hear you about Linux. Not seeing any laptops for sale with it pre-installed, and although I know some Unix, I don't want to invest the time into learning a Linux install. Possibly I make more of that process than there is, but I wonder about driver compatibility and the other gritty things that can pop up.

MS is tiresome with their increasing control-freak behavior.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 27 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Rufus can disable the Windows 11 online requirement. Otherwise, install with a network account and then use netplwiz to create a local account and remove the online account.

rufus.ie...
edit on 27-9-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

top topics

join