It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shopping List Thoughts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This is simply an observation I've made and I was wondering if anyone is feeling this same way.

I keep a shopping list on a family app for all my family's shopping needs.  My lists are split in various ways such as items from warehouse clubs, straight groceries, DIY stores, and wish or consumables items that I buy whenever they are on sale.

I was just looking at my lists, because I figure I would go shopping after voting tomorrow, and I have practically nothing on any of my lists.  I've noticed the last month or so that I haven't been adding things or feeling like I need things.  I go into a store and leave with a couple items I had on my list and maybe a few items I found on sale and that's it.

It's as if I'm in a sort of wait-to-see mode.

What about you? Have you noticed this with your shopping habits of late?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
This is simply an observation I've made and I was wondering if anyone is feeling this same way.

I keep a shopping list on a family app for all my family's shopping needs.  My lists are split in various ways such as items from warehouse clubs, straight groceries, DIY stores, and wish or consumables items that I buy whenever they are on sale.

I was just looking at my lists, because I figure I would go shopping after voting tomorrow, and I have practically nothing on any of my lists.  I've noticed the last month or so that I haven't been adding things or feeling like I need things.  I go into a store and leave with a couple items I had on my list and maybe a few items I found on sale and that's it.

Maybe its a sign that you should save your vote.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

Save my vote?

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I suggest coupons, moar coupons. Meijer perks, Kroger + card, ect. Just look for the savings.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ilikesecrets

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I buy stuff at a good price I know I will eventually use even if they aren't needed now. I got my email today for "Special coupons just for me" and I didn't need anything on it except cream. It's weird because I use to have dozens of items a week I needed and now I feel like - meh, I can get by on what I have at home. I try not to dwindle my stock however.

It isn't even a money thing because I can afford things it's just as if I've found myself tired of the crap that comes with shopping.

My family seems to be the same too since they aren't adding things to the lists. I asked what folks wanted for Christmas and got a lot of Meh responses too. And I have family members from the complete political spectrum so it just struck me as weird.

Maybe I've been conditioned to not want anything and be happy not wanting it. Lol

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I ended up having to buy a car last week and then this week used car prices dumped. # happens.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: greendust

Oh that's bad timing. Sorry to hear that.

I don't look forward to when I need a new one. I drive my vehicles into the ground and when it goes it goes, so I will need a new one quick too when that happens. I see the stock isn't great right now and prices are crazy.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

I could repeat everything you said or just state simply that i 100% agree. the diversity of offerings HAS been shrinking tho, that's how i explained it to myself. i used to look forward to grocery shopping, now it's a major chore

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Its just one of those things. Sometimes you get lucky in that area, sometimes you don't. Luckily my mortgage is still locked in at 3 percent or so.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: kittywrangler

That's a great point. It just isn't fun and it's hit or miss for many items anyway.

How must it be for people who must shop around to find items or get the best price. Torture I'm sure!

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Definitely hold on to that great mortgage rate. Hopefully if prices are going to keep up that we will all start getting higher than 3% in our savings accounts and then it's like free money on that mortgage.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Definitely hold on to that great mortgage rate. Hopefully if prices are going to keep up that we will all start getting higher than 3% in our savings accounts and then it's like free money on that mortgage.

It will be interesting to see it be a good thing to save actual cash again. That being said, I am not sure I understand the current economic rules in this world. It seems that before the Iraq war things made sense in that area. After that, not so much. I am not sure if its geopolitical or if it is something to do with computer models making things odd if not different. Its an odd time for trying to be stable in a monetary sense.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Hopefully if prices are going to keep up that we will all start getting higher than 3% in our savings accounts and then it's like free money on that mortgage.

As I've posted here before: in the 1980's I had relatives with savings in 12% CDs.

And inflation was less than it is now...

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I feel like maybe it's just a thing of getting older?
Christmas hasn't really felt like Christmas for the last 5 years or so.

Although now that you mention it I've noticed that I've been way less fussy with things like food and whatnot. Maybe there is something to the whole conditioning angle, maybe check the water?

I share quite a lot of what people would typically describe as boomer sentiments so jokingly think of myself as a 20 year old boomer.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   

True. I guess buying something today rather than putting the cash in savings is like a 20% savings already.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gb540

Good times.

I think eventually the stalling by the Fed has to end and rates have to go up again. Already should have by most measures.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Brigadier

Hmm maybe it is the water... It's not like I'm getting older. Lol

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: greendust

It will be interesting to see it be a good thing to save actual cash again. That being said, I am not sure I understand the current economic rules in this world. It seems that before the Iraq war things made sense in that area. After that, not so much. I am not sure if its geopolitical or if it is something to do with computer models making things odd if not different. Its an odd time for trying to be stable in a monetary sense.

A recession as bad as the one we're in nonly benefits the ultra rich as they sweep in and buy up properties and businesses at rock bottom prices.
In a few years when the economy recovers we'll see just how massive the transfer of wealth was.

It's almost like it was engineered or something.

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Feel'n Ya.
I attribute my lack of "Icelandic Saga" sized shopping lists to the pandemic. Not cause I'd be around people or item shortages, or because I had lost my job (I didn't).

It was the automatic response of "Mend & make do" attitude straight out of 1940's. Once you figure out you don't need most of the crap you used to purchase an nothing bad happens, having to compromise or substitute items that were perennially out of stock, life got ridiculously simple.

An people LIKED IT!!
being forced to separate wants from needs at a breakneck speed made doing it easy. Seriously! Most of us knew we should have years ago, yet kept our death grip on our daily Starbucks coffee, or favorite goodies or living on take-out food. We'd of never pared down if not forced to.

Covid helped as well (not making light of the misery it caused) especially when a lot of us lost our sense of Taste.
If things repeatedly taste awful it makes food shopping a exercise in futility.
YMMV

posted on Nov, 7 2022 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

All excellent points.

I do think it started with the lockdown for me. I learned to continue to keep things in stock and then how to do without things I didn't have in stock and didn't really need because I wasn't shopping as often.

I think for me this feeling might be good in the long run. Maybe this will be good for many people in the long run. Kt might not be good for producers however...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join