It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Problem with ALL Religions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I often find it ironic that most atheists tend not to realize that they're a product of the culture in which they were raised, which in turn is typically a product of the dominant religion of that region, either long past or present day.

Interesting. Most atheists I know are much more aware of it than their religious counterparts. I was a devout Christian for nearly 3 decades before I turned to the "dark side". I was definitely a product of the culture I grew up in. Not so much now. Instead, I am an aberrant.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DevotedResearcher

...because religion is something that causes so much controversy in a time when we need cooperation.

I'm not sure I can agree with this. Perhaps this is a "which came first" approach, but religion itself is not controversial, but only when one tries to force their beliefs on others... and this is true of both the religious fanatic and the anti-religion fanatic. And it's true whether we're talking about personal relationships or society as a whole or for legislative/regulatory purposes.

It's no sweat off anyone's back for you and me to believe different things, as long as we understand that what we believe is valid only for ourselves. It's only a problem if I try to force my beliefs onto you, or if you try to force your beliefs onto me.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Thnx! You've NO idea how much I've been preaching all organized religion is crazy.

Thnx!😎👍

I understand your sentiments to some extent, as I once felt the same, but I've come to realize this is short-sighted and limited thinking.

More often than not, the problem with organized religion is how it is structured... the hierarchy... the balance of power. When religion is wielded as a weapon against believers and non-believers, that's a problem. At some point, our spirit (and our spirituality) is repressed by humans exercising power and authority.

In the end, it's always about the balance of power. Who has it... and who doesn't.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DevotedResearcher
a reply to: olaru12

No, I don't.

(I'm new here.)

Who?

Join us in the mudpit, Where your devoted research will answer your question.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well, the thing is they canny all be correct DevotedResearcher................but they could all be wrong.

Imho religion should be a personal thing.

You see when people come together in large numbers and start talking about God and/or his wishes, things tend to get out of hand.

Whilst a select few spurious bastards aka the priest cast get rich.
edit on 30-10-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

This^^^

To the OP: I am an atheist, but give me a conservative Christian talking good sense over a neo-Marxist liberal talking out of their nether regions any day.

Thank you -- and yes!!!

I've heard people of religion talk nonsense and I've heard people without religion talk nonsense. I've also heard people of religion speak wisely, and I've heard people without religion speak wisely.

Religion -- or lack thereof -- does not equal intelligence.

At the most fundamental level, there are many many things we do not know and cannot know. A wise person knows what they do not know and cannot know. But they also know that spirit and matter co-exist, and that one does not cancel the other, but complement each other. The challenge, I believe, is reconciling the two.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Your view against organized religion goes against every observable data over the last century.

In America, say in the 1950s, when Americans were far more religious, population is general was much more moral, reliable, trustworthy, MUCH less crime, much MUCH cleaner cities, far more stable families/better family life.

The decline of America to the morass of today is in DIRECT relation to the drop in organized religion attendance.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I know.

But what to do?

I just finished listening to Mel K give a fantastic presentation.

She can't express herself any other way, it seems. "God and country" is how she talks about we the people, worldwide, in our desire to be sovereign humans left alone to live our lives.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't like arguing about ANYTHING. It seems to me that arguing makes the blood boil which for some reason prevents it from reaching the brain.....

Excellent point. Arguing infers defense of one's opinion, which necessarily excludes considering other viewpoints. The purpose is to prove one's self right, and that leaves no room for any other perspective. Indeed, it demands that other perspectives be discredited at best, destroyed at most.

I was watching an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" this morning, and they talked about how the human brain reacts to contrary information in the same way and in the same region as it reacts to literal physical pain. New or contrary information can literally create a fight or flight type response as if the person is in physical danger from this contrary information.

I am still pondering this and all its implications...

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I know.

But what to do?

Change the basic paradigm humanity has followed throughout, and since before the beginning, of recorded history.

Or constructing one of those points of view guns from Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy springs to mind.

Aka no easy task mate, again best of luck there.
edit on 30-10-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Perhaps you have a point.

But organized religion, overall, throughout history, has done more harm than good, in my opinion, because I feel that the organizers of religion throughout history have not done what they did for the good of we the people.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

I often find it ironic that most atheists tend not to realize that they're a product of the culture in which they were raised, which in turn is typically a product of the dominant religion of that region, either long past or present day.

Interesting. Most atheists I know are much more aware of it than their religious counterparts. I was a devout Christian for nearly 3 decades before I turned to the "dark side". I was definitely a product of the culture I grew up in. Not so much now. Instead, I am an aberrant.

Totally agree with this.

To me -- religion is like a "clouded veil". When you are in it -- it consumes you -- in that you think within its confinement.

What I've discovered is any group of humans congregating for a single purpose will share an energy euphoria. Like being in the stands of a football game -- you get that same energy euphoria you get in church. So, it's not about "feeling God" -- it's only about humans sharing an energy.

Once you figure that out -- it makes things much clearer.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

So it's a people problem, imagine that.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I find this a problem with close minded idiots.

Religion aside, there is a wealth of information in old religious texts. If someone is too stupid to recognize that, it is their loss.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I tend to find that this happens a lot, and goes a lot further than religion.

This is an excellent example of how we can limit ourselves and our perspectives by pre-established beliefs, religious or not. When we fool ourselves into thinking we have it all figured out, it can become very easy not to look further or elsewhere for answers. We literally repress ourselves -- our thinking, our perspective, our entire lives.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:45 PM
link   

At some point you might realise that you are living in an open air asylum. That's the real problem. Religion is really just one example of the madness that surrounds you.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Instead, I am an aberrant.

I think many people espouse religion as a way to protect themselves from being thought of by others as not being a "good person." They're afraid NOT to have a religious affiliation.

Personally, I like people who don't just go along to get along.
edit on 10/30/2022 by DevotedResearcher because: Clarify

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Most atheists I know are much more aware of it than their religious counterparts.

Interesting.

Would you say the same about people who consider themselves spiritual, but do not belong to a specific organized religion?

You may not even have such experience with spiritual but not religious people, so I ask knowing that it's something that you may not have an answer for. I'm just appreciating your comments and thought I'd pick your brain a little deeper.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

What I've discovered is any group of humans congregating for a single purpose will share an energy euphoria. Like being in the stands of a football game -- you get that same energy euphoria you get in church. So, it's not about "feeling God" -- it's only about humans sharing an energy. Once you figure that out -- it makes things much clearer.

Well put. I may have to borrow that.

posted on Oct, 30 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Would you say the same about people who consider themselves spiritual, but do not belong to a specific organized religion?

Yes...yes I would.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join