It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked out of my Vanguard account ('device not recognized BS)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hi all.

So I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever dealt with this issue with Vanguard.
I recently changed the security settings in my Vanguard account which included updating my security questions, and adding 'restrict unrecognized device access' to my account.

I used the same laptop I always use to access Vanguard.
The last week I have been trying to login to V with no success.
I get an 'we don't recognize your device' message and to try again later.

I got a letter from V stating that they would ask a security question if I tried to login from an 'unrecognized device' , which off course didn't happen when I tried to login from my usual laptop

I am soo annoyed/pissed at this point. Their 'customer service' is the biggest joke on the planet.
I emailed a few times, but just get duplicate canned responses that tell me to call them.

I know how these phone calls will go , I will be on hold forever, will only get to talk to someone with a heavy accent who barely speaks and understands English, and won't get anywhere.

Now. I didn't change any setting or such on my laptop, everything is exactly the same.
I just want this stupid security feature ('restrict unrecognized device access') turned off in my account.

Could I write them a letter with a print out of my driver's license and the request to turn off this security feature in my account?
Because I think it would be quicker and easier than try to deal with their useless 'customer service'

Has anyone had this happen before ?
How did it go when you called ? What do they ask over the phone?

Thanks

edit on 27-10-2022 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

If you haven't done it already, start with the obvious issues like clearing your cookies, browsing history, etc.

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Cookies expire, all devices will become "unrecognized". Are you using an adblocker that might be stopping the questions from opening or "popping up" in a new window?

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

I will try this later. Thanks
I hope it works!

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   

I deleted all my cookies, made sure the security shield , which could block the security questions popping up, was off, and nothing

posted on Oct, 27 2022 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm reading some comments online and some people said that V will ask for a pin number when you call them to verify it's you?
I don't find any pin and don't recall getting one either . This is just getting worse and worse

Look at all those comments for anyone thinking about investing with V:

Vanguard customer reviews

I want to move my money out of V to another company at this point.
Next thing to do once I manage to log in

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 09:16 AM
link   

You're dealing w funds. Security certs updated freq. It's a good thing to ck...and devices eventually can't keep up w new walls, patches, updates.

Down the road....we need to eventually get newer, more effec, safe devices.

Can't go on for ever...nothing you said indicates that you're aware older devices...even a few years....cannot keep up with new reg/sec/updates we all need. And we do need them.

A friend can't understand why Windows 95...or Apple Safari from 2005...can't keep, take or reg updates.

Your verification? Soon, you'll need 3: sign in....1 verification, a 3 sent to click.

Hey...in 1990...we had nothing really.....
edit on 10224131America/ChicagoFri, 28 Oct 2022 09:21:41 -050021202200000041 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I called them and managed to get through and it went surprisingly well.
All solved at least

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Glad you got it all worked out. A few things Ill point out though its a little late. Instead of clearing cookies you can test if that would have any effect by simply using incognito mode. Also instead of just clearing cookies, i tend to use dev mode (f12) and navigate to the application tab where i can clear everything related to a site with the clear site data button, and check over every type of cookie including 3rd party to make sure they are ALL gone.

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

If you haven't done it already, start with the obvious issues like clearing your cookies, browsing history, etc.

Might also try a different browser. Some browsers don't like some websites. Brave, Opera, Edge for examples.

ETA

@ancientlight.
Glad the customer service phone call went well.

edit on Fri Oct 28 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Yes, I use Brave, which might have been part of the problem , too many shields etc.

posted on Oct, 28 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Also, does anyone know how to add a secondary phone number online to a V account?

I had a notification for the option a while back, but it required verification with a code within 10 numbers from the secondary number and I knew that person was asleep.

I think it would be good to add just in case.

top topics

join