It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tu-160: B-1 Rip Off

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
look at this picture and tell me that this is a rip off of a B-1

link

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The Tu-160 is a LOT larger than the B-1. In fact the Tu-160 is the biggest combat aircraft ever.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Link is not working Krazy.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
The Tu-160 is a LOT larger than the B-1. In fact the Tu-160 is the biggest combat aircraft ever.

Haven't seen you on in awhile jet...good to cya again.
And yeah, isn't this another way of saying the Russians are always trying to build bigger and better things than the US? hehe
These guys keep on....they going to bankrupt themselves again.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The Tu-160 is not new, is way old, it can't disrupt its economy again. If any, these planes contributed to disrupt its economy in the past. This is the right link:

www.aeronautics.ru...

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MakodFilu
The Tu-160 is not new, is way old, it can't disrupt its economy again. If any, these planes contributed to disrupt its economy in the past. This is the right link:

www.aeronautics.ru...

Makod, thanks for the link. I was in the midst of looking it anyhoo, but agin, thanks.
So, if this can't effect their economy again, you're excluding that if they build it in quantified numbers that it will, of coarse, have no economic impact? Or...that the aircraft was crap and a copy and amounts to the Russians just showing the US they could be a likewise aircraft?
I find it quite odd that a country that declared bankruptcy and is currently recieving billions of US aid, is still trying to build aircraft 'matching' what the US is building and working on? Hence their version of the US X-35, etc.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't know what you didn't understood. That aircraft was designed, built and entered into service *before* the fall of the Soviet Union.

In fact, last time I heard about those, the Tu-160 were being discarded in favor of maintaining only a small fleet of Tu-22M.

Edit: changed typo, Tu-26 for Tu-22M

[Edited on 2003-7-20 by MakodFilu]

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I don't know what you didn't understood. That aircraft was designed, built and entered into service *before* the fall of the Soviet Union.

In fact, last time I heard about them, those were being discarded, maintaining only a small fleet of Tu-26.

Mokad.....this is NOT that I didn't understand.....
The point was, as made by others....its doesn't matter if the aircraft was built before the collapse of the USSR or after..it is plain and simple to see that it is a "carbon copy" of the US B-1! As is their "flying wing" program....and etc., etc. Hence the topic...."A B-1 Rip-off"

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 12:36 PM
link   
In the web you have just visited it's pretty clarified:

The Tu-160 was made as a response to the *B-1A*, and was based in its airframe.

It's a matter of fact, so you are right in part, it's almost a rip-off.

jra

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
well it's not copied in every detail, but yeah it does have the same basic layout. i don't see what's the problem though. a lot of russian aircraft were influanced off of american aircraft. the americans did it too, at least once with the f-15 which was influanced on the mig-31 wasn't it? i seem to recall hearing that some where.

i'm sure copying the basic design of the american aircraft allowed the USSR to spend less time and money on R&D, but that's only my guess. not sure if that would be true or not.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
well it's not copied in every detail, but yeah it does have the same basic layout. i don't see what's the problem though. a lot of russian aircraft were influanced off of american aircraft. the americans did it too, at least once with the f-15 which was influanced on the mig-31 wasn't it? i seem to recall hearing that some where.

i'm sure copying the basic design of the american aircraft allowed the USSR to spend less time and money on R&D, but that's only my guess. not sure if that would be true or not.

probally. but its stil almost like whne stalin coppied the -b29 rivit for rivit. they are areonautical and aircraft production geniues. but still my friend's dad used to fly b-1 and the Tu160 looks like one in soviet colors. and the mig 31 was not the basis for the f-15. 31 is too new for that. if it was based on a russian bird it would probally be the mig 25 which the 31 is based on also. and sorry about the link guys, i havent done a post with a link.

jra

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
oh yeah it was the mig-25, not 31.. they look kinda similar. my bad

but yeah i think the f-15 was designed to compete with the mig-25 and then proved to be better than it as well. i remember seeing that on tv somewhere.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
probally. but its stil almost like whne stalin coppied the -b29 rivit for rivit. they are areonautical and aircraft production geniues. but still my friend's dad used to fly b-1 and the Tu160 looks like one in soviet colors. and the mig 31 was not the basis for the f-15. 31 is too new for that. if it was based on a russian bird it would probally be the mig 25 which the 31 is based on also. and sorry about the link guys, i havent done a post with a link.
I thought Tupolev were granted the plans to build it as Tupolev Tu-4 'Bull', as the DC-3/ C-47 license taken by Lisunov to build it as Li-2.

www.bird.ch...

[Edited on 2003-7-20 by MakodFilu]

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It sure looks like a Boeing design...or did Boeing start off as russian?

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
It sure did, because Boeing give them the plans to build it. Matters of war.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   

if the Tu-160 was built during the cold war why would boeing give the planes to the soviets. they probally saw it on state run tv and desided "cool, we want one now" true the Tu-160 is bigger but thats cause its an intercontenal bomber. the b-1 is not.

posted on Jul, 20 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Here is an interesting fact. The B-1B has a top speed of 823 mph and the Tu-160 has a top speed of 1,380 mph. It seems like the Tu-160 has a speed close to that of the B-1A. The B-1B has a low speed because when Rockwell went through B-1A they changed a few things which lower the top speed. Here is another interesting fact. In total there were 39 Tu-160's built. After the USSR fell there were 19 Tu-160's left at what is now a Ukrainian air base. Eight of these air craft were returned to Russia and the rest were scraped under the supervision the US government. Now it is believed that Russia has 14 operating Tu-160's and up to a dozen airframes. The 12 airframes will porbaly not enter service because of money problems. Here is another interesting fact. The US-based company "Platforms International" has aquired 3 demilitarised ex-Ukrainian Tu-160's and converted them into platforms to launch space vehicles. They are called Tu-160SK.

[Edited on 21-7-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

if the Tu-160 was built during the cold war why would boeing give the planes to the soviets. they probally saw it on state run tv and desided "cool, we want one now" true the Tu-160 is bigger but thats cause its an intercontenal bomber. the b-1 is not.
I was talking about the Boeing B-29, since he refered to Boeing.

Rockwell is Boeing now, but when it was built, the plane was the Rockwell B-1A, later cancelled, reopened, modified, made smaller and recalled B-1B

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 08:16 AM
link   
As far as I know the KGB did infact stole the B-1 design, and based the TU-160 on it, I saw that on discovery once.

posted on Jul, 21 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
as with all Seekerof flames...
first of all - looks similar doesn't mean copied if You ever saw how planes are built... which one is copied - sabre or mig15? last time before that topic I laughed while reading such speculations about "huckebein" design was "copied" by those dumb russians in their MiG-15 design.... is that Eagle a poor copy of MiG 25? no again - they are SOOO different planes, that it make laughing ROF any man, who really knows this planes at least more,than watching some web photos for finding similaritys... look of the plane can't say anything about it's design internally, don't be dumbed by plane's look

MiG-31 looks almost like 25, but why those BlackBirds stopped their flights when 25's was replaced with 31s ?
Read more serious books, not that "Great Aviation Guides" for teenagers to talk 'bout designs seriously...
one thing I agree - Tu-4 was THE ONLY "pirate" copy of american plane - dumb idea at all, given to Tupolev's OKB(russian for "design bureau") from commy's HQ as an order... always was discussed by a\c designers as a DUMB idea, thanx god it was first and last one

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join