It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so i was eating and the wild boar wanted to grab my food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 12:19 AM
link   
well, this is life here in asisa
pigs,them mother fks are dangerous

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Based in Germany in the 80s we often had to venture into the large forest that was part of the base. If we had to get out of the Land Rover then I was sure to have my machine gun at the ready and listening out for wild boar who are very dangerous. Of course I’d have preferred to have got back into the vehicle (doors always left open just in case) Sadly I doubted my Sterling SMG 9mm would have made much of a difference to one running head on at me.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Them guys have a few things to be thankful for:
  • It didn't appear to be fully feral (aka "razorback") although it was definitely heading in that direction.
  • It was scared, not ticked off. It just wanted out.
  • It looked young, not fully grown.
And still you see how dangerous it can be.

Feral pigs are not the same thing the old farmer down the road raises for hams and pork chops. That sow is dangerous enough if provoked... I've seen angry domesticated sows threaten to knock down well-made buildings to get out. In the wild, though, they start reverting almost immediately. It only takes a few short generations to become true razorbacks, aka bacon with a bad attitude.

A razorback has a skull built like a bulldozer blade; a .357 Magnum will more often than not just bounce off and make it mad. They're smart, one of the smartest animals on the planet; they can actually plan and sneak up to get a better ambush. They can pack and they have absolutely no fear in a pack. They're heavy and big but still can sprint at a very fast speed and are very maneuverable. They have long tusks that can rip a person into pieces. And they will eat anything, including humans. We are on their menu.

I have said many times that if you shoot a dog in a pack, the rest will leave. Not so with razorbacks. Shoot one, and that's just more meat for when they finish with you, and that apparently makes them hungry. Oh, did I mention, they don't always kill their prey before they start to eat it. Think about that.

Their one weakness is their eyesight... damn poor. But that sense of smell more than makes up for it.

We have a lot of predators around here... black bears, coyote packs, even the occasional mountain lion. But if anyone ever asks me what the most dangerous animal we have is, I always answer without hesitation: the razorback. I keep armor-piercing rounds on hand just for that possibility... there are several packs that roam one valley over from me.

A tale related to me by a hunter: he was out deer hunting one morning and heard something rustling in the brush about 100 yards off. He started watching and it finally moved out of the brush where he could see it. It was a razorback. He panicked and decided to shoot it while he could get a shot behind the shoulder blade (quick kill). He fired, it dropped to the ground and let out a squeal. Suddenly the brush around him came alive with a dozen or so razorbacks, all charging toward him.

He had just enough time to shimmy up a tree. He sat there for several hours, watching from above as the boars attacked the tree, got into fights with each other, and ate the dead boar he shot. Finally, they started moving off. He waited a while more until he was sure they were gone and started down the tree. He was done with hunting at that point; he just wanted to get back to his truck and leave.

Just as his foot touched the ground, they came back charging him. They had been waiting just out of sight. He scurried back up the tree and sat there while the scene below repeated itself. This time, though, he didn't come down for a while. He spent the entire night in that tree. Finally, 24 hours after he had shot the boar, he jumped down and hit the ground running for his truck. If they were still waiting on him, he didn't see them.

To this day he will not hunt that area.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Pigs are intelligent creatures with communication methods that are difficult for humans to fully comprehend. Much of their interaction with humans involves being trapped, shot, stabbed and slaughtered. Their response to this is remarkably peaceful on the whole. Occasionally an old male will become a man-eater and that is a truly terrifying thing to encounter. Packs of young males will hunt lambs, young deer etc. Occasionally, but not frequently, a peaceful human will be attacked and seriously injured or killed. This video is an example of needless violence that only resulted in humans being hurt. A panicking pig in an unfamiliar environment needs space to escape.

There is a big difference between a hunter harvesting food and a hunter who wants to prove themselves. Hunters who want to prove themselves like to feed the myth of the dangerous beast. This has been the case for thousands of years. It is possible to be accepted by wild animals, wild boar can completely accept a human into their group within three generations.

Not disagreeing with anyone's viewpoint here, just providing another side to the story.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

It is possible to be accepted by wild animals, wild boar can completely accept a human into their group within three generations.

I wouldn't try that if I were you.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   

There was a time I lived in a tent in the italian alps. One morning i wake up hearing some movement outside, happy family of 6 boarlets and their mother, feasting on the mulberries. I got all quiet, and watched them for about 3 minutes, when I tried to wake up my girlfriend the sound scared the mother, she made a grunt and the little ones were off into the forest, while the mother kept her guard on the tent and went after them as soon as they were out of sight.
I've crossed many boars there, but that was the only time I ever felt the need to be extra cautious, mothers are the worst....

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Portuguese boar appear to be less stressed, or maybe these were on holiday.

I don't know if it was because of this year's serious drought, but we had several cases of wild boars entering villages and towns this summer.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I love that video and the title of the thread.
I love all the videos - in a kinda Keystone Cops kinda way. I generally hate pigs (personal issues) but got to give them credit, they're smart enough to chill out at the beach.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They're big boys. Taller than one might imagine.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   
FWIW in the southeast and the southwestern US, wild boars and feral pigs have become more than a nuisance issue. They breed like crazy and yes they are indeed intelligent, but that doesn't mean we should let them destroy farmers' livelihoods. If they are allowed to overbreed they can alter and destroy a local ecosystem too. If you have too many boars in an area they run off the deer as they compete for the same food sources much of the time. It's all about balance, throw in there are fewer and fewer hunters, and in many areas, they have no natural predators.

As for their temperament well they ain't deers or rabbits, both the alpha males and momma sows will chase you, should you wander across them in the woods. They will do this in areas where there is no hunting and they are relatively secure, with plenty of accounts and videos where a boar had plenty of exit routes and choose to chase the human. Besides they are delicious too.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

a LOT of wild pig activity around the world
nasty creatures.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Here Forestry England and the police allegedly had to leave gates unlocked and ignore poaching to get numbers down to an acceptable level. The official cull was obstructed by saboteurs. www.facebook.com... www.forestryengland.uk...

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

We do have some wild boars here in the UK but we also have Badgers:

youtu.be...

Bill Bailey, "Ripped Apart by Badgers".

edit on 1-10-2022 by Oldcarpy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 01:55 PM
link   

In this area one man has had his finger tip bitten off by a boar. There have been injuries to people thrown from horses and some dog fatalities. The charges have been mock charges of a largely inquisitive nature. Running can result in the boar apparently chasing for hundreds of yards when really it just wants a close look. This video shows how accepting some of them are to a human presence.

If you have the time and stamina to follow them around for months they get used to you. The next generation regard you as a familiar, non-threatening figure. That generation allow you to get close to their young from a few days old and the third generation have complete acceptance allowing you to sleep in a huddle with them. This is how domestication began.

I get enough comments about my rustic hygiene as it is so I won't personally do this . . . yet, but it is one way of getting off grid.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Here Forestry England and the police allegedly had to leave gates unlocked and ignore poaching to get numbers down to an acceptable level. The official cull was obstructed by saboteurs. www.facebook.com... www.forestryengland.uk...

I really like hearing how other areas address the situation, and it really has to be done with what works for each community. Plus IIRC isn't the European Wild boar more aggressive than the American version? The thing about America there are plenty of nonfarm areas for wild and feral boars and pigs to live in, but they really like the free buffet that private farms offer.

That said it's our fault they have been brought over for years for hunting

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Piss one off and see how quickly the whole pack turns against you.

It's no different than the dumbasses who live with bears and think they're just misunderstood until they're getting ripped apart because the bear got hungry.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Badgers are mean little critters too. We have coons... they're like little bears, tough hide and able to twist around in it like a bear. They also have a bad attitude. Definitely not the sweet, cuddly, amusingly curious fuzzballs the movies would have us think of them as!

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I get enough comments about my rustic hygiene as it is so I won't personally do this

That is wise.

I hope your post doesn't inspire anyone else to do so.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Razorbacks may have been imported in other areas, but around here they are descendants of domesticated swine that got free. A fully domesticated pig can, within a few generations (and they breed fast), produce fully feral razorbacks.

The transformation is amazing.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 01:48 AM
link   

When they trust you it's possible to be with them when they give birth. The youngsters accept you totally because you've always been part of their world.

If you treat them roughly they'll attack.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join