It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobody Wants To Work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: abigredneck

In most cases it's their families that are taking care of them.
Like my sister who takes care of her 23 year old daughter.

Or me who lives and shares all the bills with my mom.

Families are coming together to live together so we all don't have to work ourselves to death. And I think that is a good thing.

Families in the u.s.a. were tricked by big business into believing we should not stay together all our lives. That we should not share our resources with each other. Leave your home at 18 or your doing something wrong is anti-family.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Families in the u.s.a. were tricked by big business into believing we should not stay together all our lives. That we should not share our resources with each other. Leave your home at 18 or your doing something wrong is anti-family.

Asian families didn’t fall for that trick. Our kids and parents are welcomed to live with us as long as they want.
Everyone pitches in though, so the dynamic is a little different than western families.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Asian families didn’t fall for that trick.

Nor did our brothers from south america. I remember the first time I visited the home of a mexican friend and how it had 3 generations all living in the same house. I was jealous. It made me feel like I had missed out on something important.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: network dude

I wanted to come back with something snarky, due to this OP being kind of aggressive towards making the current generation OK with their work ethic. But I'm not going to do that.

I was a little aggressive because of something i had just read. Of course most people want to work. There was a time when employees were even loyal to their company for life. Well, that’s until the companies tried to rub two Pennie’s together and get rid of most long term benefits like pensions. Then they were all confused when employees left for better gigs and just rolled over their 401K’s.

My dad worked for one of the big 3 TV stations all his life. He was loyal to a fault, and was happy to help others go up in the ranks so he could stay in the position he loved. He was indispensable for the company. So they fired him. Of course they soon found out that only he knew what needed to be known to manage the things he did, so he started a consulting company and charged them bigley for his work. He did great, and likely was done a favor by being forced to go out on his own. But they didn't give a rats ass about him as a person, or even him as a rock solid employee. Only profit. That taught me that I need to be very good at what I do, and never pass up an opportunity to better myself or my position.

I worked many jobs, gained knowledge each time, and eventually felt I had enough to make it out there.

My dad did offer me the key to making it work. "remember, you don't have to be the smartest guy ever, just the smartest guy ON THE TOPIC in the room at the time." that gave me the encouragement to not feel I didn't have enough skills. I soon learned I don't have to know everything, just who to call for help with which platform.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   
People don’t want to work because the economy is whack. Broken. Corrupted beyond salvaging.

Why work when you don’t get paid enough to live on, but the CEO of who you work for has more wealth than entire nations?

That’s just the start. Most larger employers could be criticised, and rightfully so, for what they expect from the workers.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES
I would have paid 15€/h for an unlearned internship and for godsake I would have sponsored a car when it came to an apprenticeship and even paid for the drivers license that is around 2k€ here. Actually two cars because I would have given an older one "to destroy" (we all make mistakes as new drivers) and a business car in the region of a BMW M3. He or her would have been king of the apprentice learning directly from a master. Not just a master "somewhere" in the company, direct knowledge

Besides paying for everything, shoes, clothes, the car, the license, books, extra incentives for times the apprentice would have to live in a hotel for a week because block-schooling. But I guess that was too much I asked for.

*throws up hands*

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   

If my observation at fast food restaurants and restaurant kitchens is correct: Mexicans , definitely.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I have been reeally puzzled by the lack of employees for businesses and facts have been hard to come by. Much digging has uncovered a picture that goes back decades.

By the third quarter of 2020 over 28.6 million Boomers retired-many taking early retirement. Over 65 million citizens now draw SS, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. 1 in 6 people are now receiving SS retirement .

70 million people draw SSDI or SSI. the bar to qualify is set very low; I personally know many able-bodied people receiving benefits, and their amount is greater than my retirement benefit- plus they have full, free medical coverage and food stamps- far greater than SS retirement covers.

Children on the autism sprctrum, ADHD, etc. now qualify for $$ benefits + food stamps, subsidised housing, etc. With autism spectrum now discovered to run in families, two or more children can afford a better income for a parent(s) than working for minimum wage.

Regean put a five year limit on how long people could draw welfare. Clinton fixed that; he opened SS to include SSI benefits and a new avenue for multi-generational non-working families was born. The ballance has been upset in favor of bankrupting the entire SS/SSI system, either accidently through incompetence or by design.

I have a close acquaintance who is perfectly capable of working but gets easily bored and wouldn't stay in any one job more than 1-3 months. His poor work history qualified him for full SSI benefits. Having children increased benefit amounts with each one, and life is good. lol

70 million are drawing from a fund that they paid little to nothing into, living the 65 million Boomers (who paid in all their life) wondering when the rug will be pulled out from under them.

When people have such an easy avenue to money, and 'everybody else' is doing it working for a living at low wages seems pretty lame to them. I don't know how many are left that are forced to work in order to support themselves, but it appears to be far too few.

To bring wages up to meet the high inflation rates would spur manufacturers to increase prices even more so as not to loose their profit margain. This is the definition of being between a rock and a hard spot. Maybe those at the top have a great plan to fix this mess and make it all go away, but I haven't heard any of them talking about it.

While we're all focused on the vaccine, LGBTQ rights, Ukraine, Russia, China, N. Korea, defunding police, POC issues, etc. that smoldering fire gets ever closer to flashover - and both political parties seem more than happy to sweep any real pressing issues under the rug....maybe because nobody wants to take a step back and face the tough issues....or maybe there isn't an answer anybody wants to acknowledge.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The perfect job doesn't exist.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Lot of people sick and tired of doing somebody else's job for them 🦇

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: abigredneck
My big question is how are the people that are not working because, insert generic excuse here, living?
How are they getting food and lodging, let alone all the tech
I hate to go all boomer on this, but, when I was a kid, no work, no food, no roof over your head.
I have to agree with my father and grandpa here.
They said every generation is getting softer
as they rely on government programs for support more and more.

I have read that the percentage of adult children in the U.S. who are living with their parents is higher than it has ever been. I'm not so sure that is a provable statement, but I will say I know several people whose adult kids (30's-40's) are again living at home with mommy and daddy.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

Of course there is. It’s one that you create for yourself, that you are the boss and determine what you are worth.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Of course there is. It’s one that you create for yourself, that you are the boss and determine what you are worth.

Nothing is perfect in an imperfect world. Maybe a more enjoyable job.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 06:14 PM
link   

As I've said to friends at work and at home, if you can't fix stupid, then finesse as much money from it as legally permissible. Just make sure to keep your patents up to date. Also, you know utility patents (whatever that means) require a yearly plan to remain valid and exclusive to your business? 🤨🙄

www.sacbee.com...

edit on 27-9-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I see that as a good thing. We shouldn't be living apart so much. It's unhealthy. Unnatural.

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

Thanks for posting about this, S&F. I don't understand the mentality of people when they complain about nobody wanting to work. I totally agree with you. If these places don't start paying better and treating their workers better, things will only get worse for them. It will be on the businesses. That is just a simple fact.

There is a place by me that is DESPERATLY trying to hire people at $8.00 hour. GROWN adults for 8 an HOUR.😲🤬
I was at the store and a pack of chicken was 17.99. You would have to work 3 hours just for a pack of chicken!!!!

I went on a job interview a few weeks ago, full time office position, bookkeeping in a small office.
I almost laughed when told it was $12 an hour, I got up to leave and told the man that he could do it himself.
With rents at $2,000 - $3,000 per month, I'll keep looking.
By the time taxes are removed from your paycheck, what's left? LOL!
edit on 27-9-2022 by RonnieJersey because: repeated myself

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 07:21 PM
link   

" Nobody Wants To Work "

Translation - Nobody Wants to Continue to Breath If it Concerns a Personal Physical Effort to do so Without Government Subsidies . If you Actually Unfortunately Fall into that Category , then If you find yourself Alone, riding in the Green Fields with the Sun on your Face , do not be Troubled my Friend , for you are in Elysium, and you're already Dead !
edit on 27-9-2022 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Lot of people sick and tired of doing somebody else's job for them 🦇

LOL - this company wants you to have your own car to run their errands, your own laptop, use your own phone, and when you have a spare second you can assist everyone else!

"Must be extremely detail oriented, able to work independently and with a sense of urgency. Must have expert knowledge of residential construction including but not limited to working with utility companies, submitting permits, processing owner selections, overseeing jobsite maintenance (dumpsters, porta johns, signage, fencing, utilities, lawn maintenance, etc). Onsite interaction with sub contractors, assisting project managers with schedules and sub contractors by using our proprietary software.
Assisting bookkeeper and office manager with daily tasks as needed.
Travel to building departments, work sites weekly; laptop with wifi or hotspot needed. Must have own transportation and smart phone."

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter_kandra

I agree with most of what you say, but those fast food jobs are for teens and older/retired workers looking to supplement their retirement income. At least it was like that way back in 1983 when I worked at Burger King. I also don't think those jobs are worth $18 or $20 per hour (and neither do the companies replacing those positions with robots).

You didn't answer the lady (surprised you let it go, JAG)

Who's slapping your drive-thru egg McMuffin together at 8am when said teens are in school?

Telling you you missed breakfast & it's now Lunch Menu, who's serving that up at 11:30 when they're breaking from class for a lunch break in the school still?

Get real here, fast food was never a kid's job before 3pm, it's an adult's job prior. And after 6/7/8/9 at night, locations vary in how late kids can work in the US.

Who's putting together your midnight Taco Bell bag on the other side of that window?

Ain't the kid catching the school bus at 6 later

posted on Sep, 27 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

$12/hour is good for a girl making and fetching coffee and making sure waste baskets are lined up in a proper row 😎

and Maybe calling a maintenance guy when the water cooler is empty😎

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join