It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Hynek & Vallée Play a Part in Driving Paul Bennewitz Insane?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2022 @ 05:22 AM
link   
This is the only series of photos (note they are computer enhanced too) from Bennewitz that appear to be in the public domain. as featrued in the book X-Descending.

There's also a letter he sent to Senator Pete Domenici

View full screen

The accompanying report by Bennewitz is archived here.

I think it shows how credulous and unstable Bennewitz already was by the end of 1981.

The FOI files on the case are available here in pdf

One final point.

There is a telephone interview archived on cassette tape at Rice Universtiy. Although it's not available on the web it does say it has been digitised. There are summaries available on the web, but not the audio.

edit on 21/9/2022 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Sep, 21 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Without digging through previous threads……

Here’s this vid….

Project Beta - The Paul Bennewitz Story - by Greg Bishop - Feb 28, 2006 - International UFO Congress

And this advertisement for a DVD which still looks available ……. PAUL BENNEWITZ AND THE DULCE UNDERGROUND UFO BASE …”Filmed at the Sedona UFO Conference”…..by Greg Bishop. Source: www.adventuresunlimitedpress.com...

Don’t know if the content that Greg Bishop presents at both the International UFO Congress and the Sedona UFO Conference were pretty much the same ….devoid of a major reveal not shared in either one….

I have never seen either one

👽
edit on 21-9-2022 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2022 @ 02:51 PM
link   
What interests me the most is seeing the Bennewitz affair, along with all the other disinformation schemes since his story started around 79-80-81, indicate the Bennewitz story was not an isolated event but just one that was integral to the ICs overall disinformation operations in the period roughly 1979 to maybe the early to mid-’90s and maybe to the 2005 Serpo Hoax: we have the restart of the Roswell story, the Bennewitz’ operation, the MJ 12 documents revealed in 1984 and 1987, the hoaxed Aquarius documents. Interestingly, all revolve around the IC recruited UFO expert William Moore and AFOSI IC agent Richard Doty.

Brief Timeline

Revival of Roswell—1980 book by William Moore and Charles Berlitz, The Roswell Incident
Bennewitz Caper 1979-80-84

MJ 12 revelations, 1984-1987 and beyond unto the early 90s. Related to that are the Project Aquarius hoaxed documents…. I refer to MMs link hereweb.archive.org...
...And the hoaxing of Linda Howe by our ever-present Richard Doty disinformation in 1983, where he showed her--and told her she couldn’t take notes--a bunch of hoaxed-up UFO documents.
Just a short list of that period where for some reason, the secret boys decided to spread massive UFO disinformation starting in 1980.
Here's another one...MJ12 LINK

Of course, one can extend this disinformation thread all the way back to the 1970s in the Robert Emenegger affair and that supposed ufo landing at another AFB.

“…Mirage Men finds an even more extreme example in the form of industry veteran Robert Emenegger, who claims that in 1971 he was approached by the Pentagon to make a film revealing "what the government really knows". The Pentagon's big lure was that they would let him incorporate top-secret footage of an alien craft landing at Holloman Air Force Base in the 1960s. Predictably, the footage never materialised but Emenegger – no less cryptic a character than Richard Doty – claims to have seen it, and still believes alien contact has been established. He went ahead and made his documentary, entitled UFOs: Past, Present And Future. Presented by Rod "Twilight Zone" Serling, it culminates in a rather anti-climactic "reconstruction" of the Holloman UFO landing.”

www.theguardian.com...

It goes on and on, even today's new updated ICs scheme, more nuanced and sophisticated to carry us into the future by the TTSA affair that will affect the new UFO government induced paradigm: UAPs now, and an emphasis on the tech sector and ufology. They're moving out of the past UFO, spooky, crazy alien underground mythos.

We can expect more coming soon from them!

BUT... it's up to us and others to expose to the new recruits to ufology the dirty past of the IC's blatant disinformation schemes played on the UFO phneomenon.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Here’s Project Beta in PDF format…you can save to your device or computer

Project Beta The Story of Paul Bennewitz, National Security; and the Creation of a Modern UFO myth

👽

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

From the Bennewitz Collection…..

Two Peas in a Pod….

Poor Paul….source www.findagrave.com...

👽
edit on 22-9-2022 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 04:10 AM
link   
To come back to the original topic of the thread, which is Vallee and Hynek's involvement in this affair. Assuming one or both were involved, then it's certain that Bennewitz was painted as a potential Soviet asset. Someone who for a couple of years had been monitoring signals and watching the Air Force base and Manzano storage areas where nuclear weapons were kept. A danger to national security. Vallee would be the ideal guy to program the software. Hynek's role, would give an extra air of authenticity to the whole thing (from Paul Bennewitz's perspective). How could either of them have foreseen into the future and known Bennewitz would disintegrate over time?

If this story is true, then their involvement makes them complicit with the machinations of the US intelligence agencies. But compared to the likes of Doty and Moore their roles were fairly minor and detached ones. I don't know if Bennewitz ever mentioned meeting Hynek to anyone. You'd have thought it would be in one of his reports or letters. But all fingers point back at Bill Moore as the sole source of the story.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

Yep, and when Doty was moved to Germany in the late 1980s, his boss there was Col. Richard Weaver. The guy behind the The Roswell Report - Fact versus Fiction in the New Mexico Desert in the 90s. I'm not saying he had anything to do with the Bennewitz affair. But it's a small world at times.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
Vallee would be the ideal guy to program the software.

There are a few references around that Bennewitz reprogrammed the surveillance equipment (which he was an expert on) himself to pick up the low frequencies he thought was being used by the craft. It isn't clear to me how that was then transcribed to messages, I assume through some kind of computer interface, which may be where the military supplied computer equipment came in.

Otherwise if it was just a home use computer system then in 1981 it wouldn't have been particularly advanced. Vallee was a pioneer in early networking, is it suggested anywhere that disinfo was fed directly or is it suggested that stand alone software automatically created the disinfo using the surveillance equipment as a source ?

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I don't know if Bennewitz ever mentioned meeting Hynek to anyone. You'd have thought it would be in one of his reports or letters. But all fingers point back at Bill Moore as the sole source of the story.

While I can come up with a theoretical why Hynek may have set Bennewitz up with the computer yet Bennewitz didn't mention him, I think you make a very pertinent point.

Barring that Bennewitz was compelled through "secrecy" not to mention Hynek then I think you've come up with a key to deciphering this as far as is possible.

It certainly creates reasonable doubt as to the validity of Moore's assertion.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   

We have to consider that even though the IC is justifiably criticized for what they did to Bennewitz, they didn’t create his mental problems--at worst, they merely exacerbated them, so we can’t blame them absolutely for that. He did survive his mental collapse. I don’t think they deliberately tried to drive him to a mental institution.

Sure, if Vallee was in on this, they might have told him of the national security issues involved.
But still, if they were worried about Russian involvement, why would they do something to advertise spooky things going on at Kirtland? You just tell him to chill out or else.

Of course, we can’t know for sure, but it may have been counterintelligence reasons that got out of control.
But my belief as I see the evidence is that this was a part of the overall ufo disinformation scheme, not anything isolated or counter-intel related.

I believe they like what was done to TDL--passed him around to UFO-established disinformation schemers to take advantage of.

edit on 22-9-2022 by peaceinoutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'd forgotten Chris Lanbright's book 'X-Descending' Chris had actually known Paul Bennewtiz for a time.

He makes some observations similar to those we've discussed and also some we haven't. Like how Paul never mentioned he was receiving military communications.

The emphases are mine.

If Moore’s story of Hynek’s duplicity is true, then Paul’s belief that he was communicating with aliens around Albuquerque may have been the result of an elaborate charade. It not only involved a computer system (not a cheap proposition in 1981), but also a software program that had to be created for this specific purpose. The programmer would likely have needed to know the specific frequencies or signals Paul could detect, how information was being encoded in them, and how it would be fed into the software program to reveal the final message. With strong evidence that Paul had already begun detecting signals early in 1980 and he already believed he was communicating with aliens well before the November 1980 meeting at KAFB, there is only Moore’s word that the computer was, in fact, delivered in mid-1981, and not mid-1980.

On the other hand, what if the entire story of Hynek delivering a computer for the Air Force was a fabrication? Or, maybe Paul was given a computer, but Hynek himself had nothing to do with it. The implication that Hynek was still secretly serving the Air Force was certainly a jolt to many researchers. If someone like Hynek was not what he seemed, then who can be trusted? This type of story could be very effective as disinformation to undermine trust and confidence among the community of UFO researchers. The question remains: what was Moore’s purpose in telling this story to Bishop after all these years? Was it to expose the Air Force’s role in influencing

Bennewitz’s beliefs, or was it simply another chance to sow disinformation? Regrettably, Allen Hynek passed away in April of 1986, making it impossible to verify or refute Moore’s claims.

Still, Paul had obviously been capable of building equipment to detect unusual frequencies, though I have seen absolutely no evidence that he ever detected anything NSA-related. In my conversations with him he never suggested having detected or deciphered military or NSA communications, and to my knowledge he never claimed anything of the sort. The equipment he built in his home in early 1980 was designed to measure fluctuations in magnetic fields and, by all accounts, produce linear graphs—not decoded messages. That is not to say that the NSA may not have played a role at some point early on. There are certainly strong hints that someone may have been manipulating the frequencies or signals Paul was able to detect, feeding him such bizarre information that—if he ever talked about it—he could not help but sound like he was losing his grip on reality.

Whatever he was receiving that eventually led him to believe he was communicating with an alien intelligence, hindsight would suggest it was far more ‘intelligence’ than ‘alien’. If the point of the counterintelligence operation was to suppress the fact that he was able to decipher NSA transmissions, then why was the NSA thrust into the spotlight early on with the "Aquarius Telex", a document that led back to Bill Moore and AFOSI agent Richard Doty? That obvious contradiction paints this as part of the disinformation itself and not the real reason for this elaborate operation! You do not tell the secret, you tell the cover story.

What Paul saw and filmed from his rooftop is what no one involved in the operation ever speaks about or addresses openly.....

edit on 22/9/2022 by mirageman because: ...

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: peaceinoutz

....Of course, we can’t know for sure, but it may have been counterintelligence reasons that got out of control. But my belief as I see the evidence is that this was a part of the overall ufo disinformation scheme, not anything isolated or counter-intel related...

Ufology likes simple explanations. So the 'government' is blamed for a huge cover-up.

Yet there are thousands if not millions of people who work for the government. All with different belief systems and views that may come into conflict with their co-workers and direct superiors at times. Sometimes their working lives may crossover into their personal affairs.

Maybe Doty & Moore were the men tasked with stopping Bennewitz monitoring the goings-on at Kirtland by making him sound insane, feeding him disinfo. But were they also personally taking advantage in exploiting the UFO topic for personal financial gain too?

Doty was never prosecuted, but it has been reported that he was investigated at work and demoted. Eventually leaving the AF and working as a police officer in New Mexico. While Moore eventually burning his bridges with ufology in Las Vegas in 1989 and has virtually vanished . Some three decades later a retired Doty, for some inexplicable reason, has been rehabilitated into ufology and now appears on radio shows, podcasts and even conferences!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:39 PM
link   

To come back to the original topic of the thread, which is Vallee and Hynek's involvement in this affair. Assuming one or both were involved”…….”But all fingers point back at Bill Moore as the sole source of the story”…..

I agree on Bill Moore being the sole source…….IF, I were to believe everything he says about it in the radio interview with Don Ecker’s about Paul Bennewitz on ….Don Eckers radio show Dark Matters.

Found here …. I usually don’t have trouble with Archive.Org and linking, but I am with the below address to this mp3 show….so you’ll have to manually input the URL address in your search bar.

It’s the First time I’ve ever heard it…….it’s a replay of an earlier and a much younger Eckers show with Bill Moore on an now older Eckers show.

I found the entire show (approximately 2hrs) interesting as well as the call-ins Q&A in the last portion of the show.

To fast forward to the parts mentioning Hynek and lastly Vallee ….here are some timestamps. (Vallee is actually mentioned by name by old Eckers at the tail end. Never by Bill Moore himself throughout the show with young Eckers….although he seems to elude to him.

Approximates

0:15:00 - 0:17:10
0:35:10 - 0:35:56
1:49:50 - 1:50:50
1:55:40 - 1:56:57

From what’s of interest to me from the show and what Bill Moore says, is where is the Hynek Government Contract that Bill Moore claims he has a hardcopy of?

And where is the Bill Moore FOCUS newsletter that he was to reveal the “other” person’s name, thought to be Vallee…by some?

👽
edit on 22-9-2022 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Sure, they're human too.
Both of their strange actions after the events show they had personal issues wrapped up in this.

Moore probably was burned out and maybe a little guilty about Bennewitz. Doty, now being an honorary ufo buff of the age crowned by the ufo mob, proves your idea of ufotainment being at the top of the reason for these ufo geeks' search having zero to do with getting the truth.

Putting Doty in ufo circles is like putting Hitler at the head of a search for Nazis

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Out of all of this if one reads most of the material one can have these conclusions that will be reasonable:

Regarding Vallee and Hynek:
Their closeness to the IC makes suspicion justified. There's no smoking gun other than Moore's statements, but the circumstantial evidence is there.

The Bennewitz whole affair has NOTHING to do with national security or any counterintelligence.
In fact, one can assume Bennewitz was primed by the government IC (AFOSI in this case) to receive these alien messages!
…Therefore, he was wholly created by them to initiate--or be an integral part of--- this dark period of massive ufo disinformation.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Some good original research right there MM.

Wasn't ATS member Oberg stationed at Kirtland 'guarding UFO documents' the same time Doty was running his UFO disinformation office out of the same base?

It's been a constant source of amazement to me how someone who is touted as a mainstream 'UFO expert' abjectly refuses to address a major radar visual incident on his home turf.

Great thread though and will certainly explore the Hynek angle when time allows (Mcdonald apparently also punched Hynek's desk and accused him of monkey business).

:

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It is sad that Mr. Bennewitz is still considered mentally ill, but not Mr. Vallee, who believes that there are other hidden dimensions where aliens live, capable of passing from one dimension to another with the sole purpose of disturbing those who live in this dimension.

That the former was finally considered a person with serious mental disorders and the latter a fantasy writer, and not another mentally ill person, is, to say the least, surprising.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Vallee was just so close to three of the major government IC characters who garner deep suspicion in the UFO community: John Alexander--who, BTW, years ago did an AMA here--Hal Puthoff and Christopher Green.

It may be a trifle unfair, but since the US government has been so notorious in psyops, some deadly, we would be naïve not to have a suspicion of any government IC people inside ufology.

It's nothing personal... I like Vallee and respect his work tremendously, but we must be real.

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Direne

It is sad that Mr. Bennewitz is still considered mentally ill, but not Mr. Vallee

Indeed it is Direne.

@Mirageman. Wonder what happened to Isaac Koi and his questioning Doty back in 2017. I noticed silence?

Also curious as to why Dr Kit Green seemed to respect and liked Doty.
Anyway interesting thread.

edit on 22-9-2022 by Baablacksheep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Direne

Never know if you're taking the piss or not Durine but there are loads of parallels between 'alien' abduction and Ye Olde Fae abduction.

Vallee's book at least brought all those similarities to public attention.

Strikes me you've never read any book regarding the UFO subject other than Menzel (NSA) and Klass (probably CIA) - hopefully I'm wrong mate and you can tell me why I am.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join