It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for the railroad strike

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: frogs453

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It's just been announced that the unions were able to negotiate a deal with the railroads. Strike averted.

Really?
The union people voted and agreed?

All the other sources are paywalled so had to use CNN so you could see it:

A verbal agreement between the two sides was reached at about 2:30 am ET according to sources, and the final hours were spent getting the details worked out.

CNN

Lol
You too eh?
How did that vote go?

Well as they have a tentative agreement, and are working on details, it's likely that although the thread title states to get ready for the strike, that is certainly not a given.
edit on 15-9-2022 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: frogs453
So the ongoing negotiations, two years worth, produced another tentative agreement for the members to vote on?

What does the vote do?
What happens if they vote no?

You peoples propaganda knows no limits.
Dnc describes Christmas:
“Alleged bandit pulls off a successful string of break ins, police baffled at means of entry.”
“Sources say entire neighborhoods were broken into in the dead of night”

Nasty BAMN people

edit on 15/9/2022 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Bluntone22

Will the union pay wages during the strike?

When I worked for Boeing Everett factory, there was a strike that lasted a month and no one got paid. Usually there is no wages paid during a strike.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
It depends on your union
The good unions do have strike pay, tho it may be a fraction of your normal pay.
Also the unions notify members of when to save as a strike may be imminent.
While these negotiations have gone on more than two years, the members have had ramifications explained.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   

a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed
It depends on your union
The good unions do have strike pay, tho it may be a fraction of your normal pay.
Also the unions notify members of when to save as a strike may be imminent.
While these negotiations have gone on more than two years, the members have had ramifications explained.

Thanks for refreshing my memory on this. Yes I remember now they did warn everyone. I don't remember getting paid during that time, but you are correct, depends on the union.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It's just been announced that the unions were able to negotiate a deal with the railroads. Strike averted.

Really?
The union people voted and agreed?

All the other sources are paywalled so had to use CNN so you could see it:

A verbal agreement between the two sides was reached at about 2:30 am ET according to sources, and the final hours were spent getting the details worked out.

CNN

Lol
You too eh?
How did that vote go?

Well as they have a tentative agreement, and are working on details, it's likely that although the thread title states to get ready for the strike, that is certainly not a given.

Well it seems they came to an agreement.
Dodged a bullet on this one.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Good. Ideally everyone in every industry should go on strike at the same time.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Too soon to say we dodged that bullet. I just learned the rail workers aren't even allowed to vote on these agreements until Oct. 1st. The strike could still happen since, according to the rail workers, neither of the proposed agreements satisfactorily resolve the quality of life issues. This strike can still happen and it sounds like the rail workers are in favor of it.

Remember, until the day the strike begins, it is the rail companies that are stopping the shipments not the workers.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The tentative agreement hasn't even been distributed to the rail employees yet, so everyone is working off hearsay at this point. There being more than one union involved, the ratification process is not the same all around. A union may have a vote of all members with the result being binding, another may have the local chairmen of the individual shops cast a vote after "canvassing" the members. Either way it will be weeks before it is decided.

I am not seeing any happy faces on the rails around here when talking about what has been 'released' so far.

Stay tuned.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Heard an odd thing that the federal mediation board up and walked away from the discussion in June and suddenly swoops in at the last second to save the day.

If true this is the definition of create a problem to fix a problem.

What a clown show I am really missing mean tweets.

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

You mean to tell me the govt has the cure for an ailment they created?

You some kind of conspiracy theorist or somethin?

posted on Sep, 16 2022 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I realize that not many people understand the way railroad labor contracts are conducted. These negotiations are not conducted in the same way as any other industry and are prescribed in the Railway Labor Act that was first passed by Congress in 1926. It has been amended many times since. Railway workers have obligations and rights that no other industrial workers deal with, and railroads have obligations and rights that no other corporation has as well.

When it comes to national contracts, the process is detailed in the RLA and has been followed for almost 100 years now.
That process is as follows:

RLA Bargaining Procedures.
The RLA's procedural steps for major disputes are as follows:
- A party desiring to effect a change of rates of pay, work rules, or working conditions must give advance written notice (so called "Section 6 notices").
- The parties must confer, and if they fail to resolve the dispute, either or both may invoke the services of the NMB. The NMB may also offer its services if it finds a labor emergency to exist.
- The NMB can keep the parties in mediation indefinitely, so long as it feels there is a reasonable prospect for settlement. However, if mediation fails, the NMB must endeavor to induce the parties to submit the controversy to binding arbitration, which can take place, however, only if both consent.
- If arbitration is rejected, the parties must maintain the status quo for a 30-day period. If the NMB determines that the dispute threatens "substantially to interrupt interstate commerce to a degree such as to deprive any section of the country of essential transportation service," the NMB shall notify the President, who may create a PEB to investigate the dispute for a 30-day period and issue non-binding recommendations for resolving the dispute. The parties typically agree to PEB requests for extensions of time to further study a dispute.
- While the dispute is working its way through these stages, and for an additional 30 days following the issuance of the PEB's report, the parties must maintain the status quo , and cannot utilize self-help measures. Although not specifically provided for in the RLA, the NMB typically works with the parties to try to induce a last-minute settlement or voluntary extension of the status quo.
- If, after the final 30-day status quo period has expired, a settlement has not been reached, the parties are free to resort to self-help and cannot be enjoined from doing so.

Self-help. The RLA is silent on the scope of allowable self-help available to the parties after they have exhausted the major dispute resolution procedures. However, court decisions have made clear that the scope of permissible self-help is broad, extending considerably beyond the bounds of self-help that would be permitted to employers and unions covered by the National Labor Relations Act ("NLRA"). Courts have ruled, for example, that an RLA union may strike and peacefully picket a carrier with which it has a primary dispute, engage in intermittent work stoppages ( e.g ., "selective" or "rolling strikes"), and secondarily picket other neutral RLA employers (a practice prohibited under the NLRA). For carriers, self- help includes: implementing their proposed contract changes; making a national response to defend against a selective strike that jeopardizes national bargaining, including locking out striking workers and, if the labor contract with non-striking workers permits, other workers; and replacing striking workers. The courts cannot enjoin such self-help activity.

NMB- National Mediation Board that was created by the Railway Labor Act whose sole purpose is to mediate disagreements between railroads and their workers. It is a full time year round job. It's three members are appointed by the President and serve a three year term regardless of changes in administrations. No more than 2 of the members can be from the same political party. Sometimes one member is appointed from each party who then nominate a third who they think will be neutral.

After more than two years of 'negotiations' an impasse was declared.

The parties involved met with the NMB in May and June of this year, but neither party agreed to the board's recommendation. The NMB then requested a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB). And one was appointed.

That failed as well.

This is where we are now.

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Montana
Thanks for the insight, it is appreciated.

So a delay, until after the election, then a vote?
You think the members will pass it?

posted on Sep, 17 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I know this is hard to believe, but railroaders care WAY more about this contract than the upcoming election. The work force is pretty evenly split between the two parties just like the rest of the country.

Will it pass?

I don't know. It will be close either way. The NMB, PEB, Congress and general public are all so focused on the pay raise. It sounds like a lot, but in relative terms it will barely bring the wages back to where they were 25 years ago. Pretty underwhelming at the end of the day.

The real concern of the workforce is unilaterally imposed work rule changes by the railroads, and no one is addressing those concerns. The NMB kicked the can down the road and just said "keep negotiating about that". So did the PEB. From what I am hearing the workers feel they have lost so much ground in the last 15 years they are no longer willing to "keep negotiating". It is so bad that about a third of the workforce has already quit.

There are some minor changes in work rules included in the tentative agreement. Certainly nowhere near what the workers were asking for. The question is will those changes be enough.

I'm not sure the agreement will be accepted.

posted on Sep, 18 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

I dont doubt they care about the contract more than the election, I am just saying what I heard its wonderful timing.

In this day and age when anything happens to just work out for either political party just in time I an suspicious.

posted on Oct, 10 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Montana
a reply to: shooterbrody

I know this is hard to believe, but railroaders care WAY more about this contract than the upcoming election. The work force is pretty evenly split between the two parties just like the rest of the country.

Will it pass?

I don't know. It will be close either way. The NMB, PEB, Congress and general public are all so focused on the pay raise. It sounds like a lot, but in relative terms it will barely bring the wages back to where they were 25 years ago. Pretty underwhelming at the end of the day.

The real concern of the workforce is unilaterally imposed work rule changes by the railroads, and no one is addressing those concerns. The NMB kicked the can down the road and just said "keep negotiating about that". So did the PEB. From what I am hearing the workers feel they have lost so much ground in the last 15 years they are no longer willing to "keep negotiating". It is so bad that about a third of the workforce has already quit.

There are some minor changes in work rules included in the tentative agreement. Certainly nowhere near what the workers were asking for. The question is will those changes be enough.

I'm not sure the agreement will be accepted.

Follow-up development. Above is a superb "insider" post.

Joe Biden bragged about how his negotiating skill averted a major nationwide railroad strike last month.

The only problem is that Biden-brokered "deal" was rejected today by a Union.

The threat of a strike before the holidays is back on.

Source: www.axios.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2022 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Update 11.22.2022

The threat of a Railroad Strike is back on.

Largest Union Rejects the Biden-Brokered deal.

December 5th?: www.washingtontimes.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Election is over, time to re-renegotiate.

Unrelated: I truly appreciate how you come back to and update your old threads when new information is available rather than starting a new thread. Much more cohesive and makes it a lot easier to follow. Thank you! You rock!

posted on Nov, 22 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Just in time for Holiday shopping.

Merry Christmas

posted on Nov, 22 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I believe 4 out of the 12 unions rejected the "deal". Since I have been working in Amarillo, TX, I have become friends with several BNSF railroad conductors. These guys make a decent buck, but when they are "on call" they may get the call to show up at anytime of day or night, it makes it difficult to plan anything or have any type of social life.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join