It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oder A River of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Mystery continues to surround the cause behind a “catastrophic” mass die-off of fish in the Oder River, after Polish scientists said laboratory tests found elevated salt levels but no other toxic substances in the central European waterway.

guardian
It doesn't say so I'm hoping they're also checking the oxygen levels of the river. With those temperatures maybe they suffocated.
edit on 16-8-2022 by Peeple because: don't know why the link is not working

Starting a New Thread ... Look Here First.

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Tue Aug 16 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Aug 16 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: links not displaying properly????

edit on 16/8/2022 by ArMaP because: link corrected.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They found high levels of mercury, so the 'mystery' is who deliberately discharged it in such large quantities. I bet they have a really good idea, but politics may keep it a 'mystery' until they can dream up a plausible cover story.

Looks like they're already in denial mode...

Mercury was also identified as a potential culprit for the more recent die-off. But Polish Environment Minister Anna Moskwa said on Sunday that "completed fish tests for mercury and heavy metals" proved to be negative. Lab tests did show high levels of salinity in the water.

I've been following this story daily since it broke, and all they information said they had found unbelievably high mercury levels and were now looking for the source of the pollution. Not a single site is left on the web with the original news coverage.

[www.msn.com...]
edit on 20000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

The Germans found that allegedly. Do we believe Germany over Poland?
What if it was an act of sabotage?

After your edit: fishy
edit on 16-8-2022 by Peeple because: add

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hah! I found one....

In recent days, tons of dead fish have washed up ashore the Oder River on the Polish-German border. While the exact cause of the mass death of fish remains unknown, German authorities speak of "incredibly high" levels of mercury found in the water.
The first dead fish were spotted in late July near the town of Oława in south-western Poland. The polluted water passed Wrocław, passed through the Lubuskie province, and on Friday, August 12, it had already reached Szczecin. Local residents pulled out almost eight tons of dead fish from the river.

The Germans found that allegedly. Do we believe Germany over Poland?
What if it was an act of sabotage?

Nope; not at all. We are going to be told what to believe as soon as they put together all the appropriate data to support the official narrative.
wyborcza.pl...

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

This is what I was just listening

works perfectly with your response

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

This is what I was just listening

works perfectly with your response

Wow! How kind of you to share you're video; it speaks volumes about you as a person! Have a nice day.
edit on 20000001111America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: eta

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Taking water samples at various points along the entire length of the river should isolate the point of the mercury poisoning.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Mercury was just a rumor. There are several statements that are in contradiction to each other. One source claims high mercury levels were found three days ago, while a source a day later, the official one, says tests are still running. And then you have the Polish & German government saying it could not have been mercury.

Poland's statement:

Investigations rule out heavy metal as the cause
In the meantime, the authorities no longer assume that a large amount of mercury is the cause of fish deaths. The first fish toxicological studies have shown that the heavy metal is excluded as the cause, explained Poland's Environment Minister Moskva in the short message service Twitter. Further results are now awaited.

Germany's statement:

Brandenburg's Environment Minister Vogel had previously said in the RBB that according to the current state of knowledge, mercury had not been introduced into the Oder in such quantities that it could have caused fish to die.

Original in German
www.berliner-zeitung.de...

Same article via google translate
Google website translator
edit on 16.8.2022 by TDDAgain because: fixed translator link

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Taking water samples at various points along the entire length of the river should isolate the point of the mercury poisoning.

That's what some of the articles that have mysteriously disappeared said they were doing; then the story changed and they eliminated the original laboratory results to say they're only finding high salt content.

Following a breaking news story from day one as it morphs into something so different shows how they change the facts to fit the narrative in so many cases.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
Mercury was just a rumor. There are several statements that are in contradiction to each other. One source claims high mercury levels were found three days ago, while a source a day later, the official one, says tests are still running. And then you have the Polish & German government saying it could not have been mercury.

Poland's statement:

Investigations rule out heavy metal as the cause
In the meantime, the authorities no longer assume that a large amount of mercury is the cause of fish deaths. The first fish toxicological studies have shown that the heavy metal is excluded as the cause, explained Poland's Environment Minister Moskva in the short message service Twitter. Further results are now awaited.

Germany's statement:

Brandenburg's Environment Minister Vogel had previously said in the RBB that according to the current state of knowledge, mercury had not been introduced into the Oder in such quantities that it could have caused fish to die.

Original in German
www.berliner-zeitung.de...

Same article via google translate
Google website translator

So, in political speak that means they're not about to tell anybody the truth. Can't have anybody thinking bad about Big Business doing it deliberately- too much graft money at stake!

Sorry, Duck; I'm old and very jaded. I've seen so many cover-ups I can't help but think it's a very real possibility here.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:05 PM
link   

It is a possibility and I agree about being skeptical, but officially mercury has been ruled out now.

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Here are continuous measurements from a permanent sensor station, you have to scroll down a bit. They now also check for mercury and found no elevated levels. What is clearly visible in those charts is that since 07.08, things go very wrong.

While the high peaks in electric conductivity would support mercury if we only look at the conductivity chart, we can also see that the oxygen levels and temperature went up. Mercury only reacts with oxygen above 300°C an that was not reached. That's why currently algae or salts are in the scope of the investigations.

If you want I will do the work and translate the charts, but I won't do it now, because I have done such things before when it was about how much Russian gas really affects us and the charts were just disregarded and I put a lot of work into it. But if you are interested, I do it, if not, I leave it be.

lfu.brandenburg.de...#

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

One thing that comes to mind is that according to my limited understanding, europe is having the worst drought in 500 years, maybe this has caused all the chemicals that are in the ground to boil down in the depleting water systems.

edit on 16-8-2022 by XipeTotex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

I have looked over those charts. I used to run a water cooling tower and a waste water sampling program so I know water readings.

The conductivity started rising sharply days before the other readings had major changes.

The chloriphil, oxygen, ph, and turbidity, all went up on the same day and also the nitrates dropped. This indicates an algal bloom.

The water temperature went down some at the same time as the algal bloom.

From this, it was not a temperature spike or oxygen starvation. The algal bloom occured because of something that caused the conductivity increase.

The conductivity started rising above normal on August 2 and the bloom started on August 7. During this time, the conductivity readings increase sharply until they go off the chart.

The algal bloom might have killed the fish or the containment that caused the conductivity increase that caused the algal bloom might have killed them directly.

Something happened upstream in the first couple of days of August or the end of July.
edit on 8 16 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2022 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Thanks, Duck! Your explanation is perfect, and I appreciate your effort and time to enlighten me.

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Thank you for your expert opinion, very much appreciated

posted on Aug, 17 2022 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex
a reply to: Peeple

One thing that comes to mind is that according to my limited understanding, europe is having the worst drought in 500 years, maybe this has caused all the chemicals that are in the ground to boil down in the depleting water systems.

Back in World War II, Germany had a chemical weapons factory on the banks of the Oder at a city that was then known as Dyernfurth. When I heard about the dead fish, I wondered if any of the chemicals had been dumped in the Oder in 1945 (in barrels) as the Soviet army approached the area.

Likely not the case, but sometimes history has a way of reaching out from the past.

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join