It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sad Tale of The Rings Of Power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The Rings Of Power is Amazon's $1 billion take on J.R.R Tolkien's Middle-Earth , I saw the SDCC Trailer a couple of days ago but couldn't put into words my feelings on it , as luck would have it the amusing Scottish chap sums them up perfectly.

He's Scottish so there's a bit of fruity language.

Anyone who want's to see what $1 billion buys you these days here's the aforementioned trailer.

At least it looks nice.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I read the books decades before the films that portray the films. Cartoon version (one book only, total crap) the half live action half animation (still one book, that was crap as well). But the Peter Jackson films bought the books to real life and having seen these trailers??? Oh my.

Tolkien never wrote a book of any action but a book that alludes to it. They are trying to cash in on the Jackson films and fail utterly miserably. The whole of the film industry has gone AWOL in virtually all films the majority of casts are very young people. Effeminate people at that. Oh, and nobody actors at that.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Oh dear.....

I've read Lord of The Rings four or five times.....great read.
When I was a lot younger I pored over the Appendixes getting the whole story and timeline clear in my mind.

The film series were excellent.
Sure, some sad omissions, elaborations and minor tampering but all in all Peter Jackson stayed more or less true to the book.

This production holds absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever and I have no intention of watching it.
All the trailers have done is turn me right off it.
And the guys summarisation of it was the final nail in the coffin.

Progress.....?
The world is going #ing mental.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
I wonder if the Tolkien family gave them permission to make this film because Jackson had to get their approval to make his?

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Don't know mate.....but if they did they should hang their heads in shame.
If they didn't they should be denouncing it as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Yeah, but have you heard the sad tale of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not often you meet a person who has read "The Silmarillion". After all many parts of it read like a Bible. I suppose in a sense it is a Bible of Middle-Earth. I am soon to be 57, and i can remember my excitement when for Christmas I received hard-cover Imitation Leather-bound Books of "The Red Book of Wastmarch" which is the combination of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings combined and the Silmarillion.

I also joined their fan club "The Fellowship" and have a key ring amongst other memorabilia that says just that upon the seal of Moria.

Fought tabletop battles with painted miniatures of Orcs Elves Men and Monsters....even Dragons and Nazgul...good times.

I have seen some of those glow-in-the-dark rings and they have crafted at least one to resemble "The One Ring". it is a plain ordinary gold ring until you charge its crystal-like letters under a light and then... the words inscribed within "The One Ring" will glow in the dark.... mesmerizing!

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul...

"One Ring to Rule them All. One Ring to Find Them. One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them..."

Can't get enough of LOTR...

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
At least it looks nice.

Some of it, yes, and some of it is over the top Matrix style CGI which is not really needed for Tolkien's stories, of which this one was my favorite. I absolutely enjoyed the back stories and the deep history that he built.

edit on 25-7-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The Favorite that I share with my wife, and I believe J.R.R. Tolkien shared this sentiment with his wife also. It is the story of Beren the Mortal Man& Luthien Tinuviel a fair Elven Princess...

Beren a mortal man fell in love with the elven maiden, and she also fell in love with Beren. They were happy together in the great wood, but Beren grew old in time, and rather than lose him Tinuviel chose to give up her immortality to follow Beren into Death...such was the power of their love...

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   

They look terrible.

Cheesy, and watering down the great Jackson films (the first three of course, not so much the Hobbits) and of course the books.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If anyone is watching and like let us know. I read all Tolkiens books also Narnia books . I liked the movies of Tolkien books but not so much Narnia ( they were missing something )
I tried to watch The Wheel of Time in Prime but it was sooo BORING. I liked the Carnival row ..

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   

My favorite book about this is The Silmarillion.. Loved the Ralph Bakshi animation.. Lotr movies were pretty awesome.

Did not feel the hobbit movies at all.. especially the dwarves.. they got that so wrong..

Looking forward to this new series.

Got to stock up on beer and candy.

link   
a reply to: dollukka

I started reading The Wheel of Time series years ago.....but gave up after about the eighth book I think.
They seemed to go on and on forever without ever really getting anywhere.....which was a shame because there is a really good story in there excellently written.

If the TV series is half as drawn out as the books then it'll be far too tedious for me.

link   

Haha... It's going to bomb.
Couldn't happen to a better company.

posted on Jul, 25 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Acting was poor in Wheel of Time, it was waste of time. I miss GOT

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   

i just realized there are too many black actors in weird roles. So i take it back, not looking forward to this, i fear its too woke.

Note to self.. Buy half the amount of candy and beer you were supposed to get.

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I wish someone somewhere would get serious about a Discworld adaptation. That's what I think.

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

What you did not like the show where the dwarf was played by that really tall dude and he/she was a tranny also?

posted on Jul, 28 2022 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

I didn't even give it a chance lol.

I might now just because.

posted on Sep, 5 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Very unlikely for Tolkien dead unfortunately.
I had being noticing people who had being this amazon series on SM had posted by saying that

if Tolkien were alive he definitely deny the claim that middle earth is just for white. Despite that the Tolkien was based on diversity of Europe not the other way around..

There are those who are desperate on defending the diversity in the show..

Black dwzarves which is the biggest mistake for the show to pull this.

Why there had be Black dwzarves?

edit on 5-9-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join