It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayor Bowser says migrants along the border are "being tricked" onto buses to D.C.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: underpass61

And typical of you sir, is making comments personal slams. However consider this.

Of course the definition you use is a most common definition. However it can be looked at from a wider perspective.
The definition you want to limit the understanding to includes the transport of people not capable of defending them selves from the machinations of those who would use them for their own purposes. This is true of a child disconnected from their normal support system being used to make a profit for a slaver but it is also true of these Governors moving homeless and disenfranchised migrants who are in serious transitional phases of their lives to score political victory points for their own causes.

You don't know much about immigrants if you think that. Social networking is the whole basis of survival in Mexico. The police and government are corrupt, and "who you know" matters much more than "what you know".

Few, if any, immigrants come up to the USA without already having an established network of friends and family up here waiting for them. Most who pay a coyote, borrowed the money from family and friends who already made it, and fully intend to pay them back by working a crazy number of hours at a job someone already scouted for them.

Unless someone points a gun at them to get them on that bus, they won't be boarding it unless they've heard back from someone on the other side, confirming to them that there are good things awaiting them there.

I am told that children who end up being trafficked are often tricked into their situation with promises of candy and things that they want. Teenage girls are tricked into believing they have found a protector who will find them work and security.

This is true of child trafficking, but rarely if ever applies to immigrants.

Those people were tricked on to buses with promises of support an bottles of water and food to carry them to a place that would be better for them.

More likely, there really is support waiting.

The primary goal of most illegal immigrants is exactly what their opposition is most afraid of. They want to have anchor babies, as many as they can.

They go where the best WIC and other child support plans are.

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bloodymarvelous

You don't know much about immigrants if you think that.

Actually you are right, I don't so thanks for the perspective. So you are saying that the people who got on those buses knew exactly where they were heading before the crossed the border. Right? That they had connections in the Washington area or maybe just a lift to someone in the Northeast? That they knew about the social services available in DC or other cities up there? So they were not tricked or enticed but rather just offered a free ride across the country to where they really had planned to go?

posted on Jul, 27 2022 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Apparently, even some immigration advocates agree the DC is a good place to bus to.

www.nytimes.com...

In the end, if you send immigrants to a place that's full of bleeding heart liberals, a surprisingly high number of those bleeding hearts will put their money (and time) where their mouth is. Some of them totally walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

This might actually turn out to have been a good idea from both a left and right perspective.

(post by Skepticape removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Actually you are right, I don't so thanks for the perspective. So you are saying that the people who got on those buses knew exactly where they were heading before the crossed the border. Right? That they had connections in the Washington area or maybe just a lift to someone in the Northeast? That they knew about the social services available in DC or other cities up there? So they were not tricked or enticed but rather just offered a free ride across the country to where they really had planned to go?

Yes they were not tricked. Only a racist would think so.

Who’s to say where they should and shouldn’t choose to go? Not you and not that mayor.
edit on 29-7-2022 by Skepticape because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   

you in an above quoted post sure seem to think you know what those immigrants have experienced, or have at the very least outlined your ASSUMPTIONS about them. A friendly piece of advice. Stop forming your opinions on spoon feed, hive mind views that are ASSUMPTIONS you know nothing about.

Perhaps you think there should be better enforced immigration policy that better handled the current situation? Telling immigrants they should be in Texas not DC is racist and ignorant.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Mmm you ready to admit you were wrong? Or tell us more how you know what these immigrants want because your better than them?

Please tell us what their intentions are sir!!!

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Skepticape

Still?

Tell you what. Remember this?

Typical of you.

Lie to yourself, lie to us, it’s all good it’s what we expect from you and your ilk you support.

Remember that? You presumed to speak for more people than just yourself. May I ask, who appointed you spokesperson for this group you call ''we''? Was there a vote or maybe just a general consensus ?

So here's the deal. You run along and find the other ''yous'' and come back in a week or so and wake me up so that they can tell me themselves that you have been chosen to represent them.

I know, I know, I did say I was done but you come back again and again so even though I find you boring, replying to you at least helps me keep my typing skills tuned.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skepticape
Mmm you ready to admit you were wrong? Or tell us more how you know what these immigrants want because your better than them?

Please tell us what their intentions are sir!!!

a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Terry already admitted he had been wrong. There is no need to rub it in.

The hive minding is a problem worthy of mention, though. We live in ironic times. People with degrees believing themselves to be "educated" are the segment of the population most willing to simply allow themselves to be spoon fed. Even no matter how many times they find out the source they're getting spoon fed from isn't reliable, or has committed open academic fraud by adding "expert opinion" tags to unsupported data.

Perhaps wisdom is better than knowledge. Those who, like Socrates, are able to admit that they are aware that they know nothing (ie. are not educated), are more willing to bother to check the evidence for a claim before accepting it.

en.wikipedia.org...#:~:text=Socrates%20himself%20was%20never%20recorded,knew%20that%20he%20knew%20nothing.

(post by Skepticape removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   
No, terry did not. Terry instead chose to insult me personally and throw away the conversation at hand to discuss me personally and ignore the context of my response. The hive mind is what terry seems to be following until they prove otherwise- and focusing on me rather than the subject of the Op doesn’t help anyone.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 09:39 PM
link   
He didn't admit it to you Skepticape, but he admitted it to me.

A little politeness can go a long way. Don't always have to be so mean to people.

Actually you are right, I don't so thanks for the perspective.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes i saw this post, which only further proved my point I was making to terry which has been refused to be acknowledged by them. I agree a with you regarding politeness and not being mean! Why terry disagrees is up to him.

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous

A little politeness can go a long way. Don't always have to be so mean to people.

edit on 30-7-2022 by Skepticape because: Uh oh auto correct (Terry’s main obsession) put in the wrong pronoun (Terry’s second obsession)

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You and this mayor presume to speak for the intentions of these migrants- nobody, especially them appointed you to this role terry.

You get it yet? Or are you still thinking about me?

Still?

Tell you what. Remember this?

Typical of you.

Lie to yourself, lie to us, it’s all good it’s what we expect from you and your ilk you support.

Remember that? You presumed to speak for more people than just yourself. May I ask, who appointed you spokesperson for this group you call ''we''? Was there a vote or maybe just a general consensus ?

So here's the deal. You run along and find the other ''yous'' and come back in a week or so and wake me up so that they can tell me themselves that you have been chosen to represent them.

I know, I know, I did say I was done but you come back again and again so even though I find you boring, replying to you at least helps me keep my typing skills tuned.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Interestingly Bloody, I don't think I admitted anything with you, only thanked you for an understanding of this situation that was new to my considerations. From a couple of your posts here I am helped to integrate into my understanding an aspect of illegal immigration that I had not previously, so thanks again.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Your considerations are not able to grasp the reality that you don’t represent the intention of these migrants. You don’t even know a thing about them. But you don’t believe they belong in DC because a democrat mayor said so.

Interestingly Bloody, I don't think I admitted anything with you, only thanked you for an understanding of this situation that was new to my considerations. From a couple of your posts here I am helped to integrate into my understanding an aspect of illegal immigration that I had not previously, so thanks again.

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So no, from the horses mouth terry is not admitting any wrong here- are you going to make a post telling them not to be so mean?

Hive mind political party loyalty as terry is providing us really hurts everyone. Especially the immigrants which are used as a political tool by him (something he admits he doesn’t know about or consider- while still believing to know their intentions).

His English teach from jr high would be oh so proud at how well they spell and correct others though. And that’s how points are proven, right?

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous

edit on 30-7-2022 by Skepticape because: Jr high grammar police are watching

posted on Jul, 30 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   

It's not a matter of what I believe, it's a matter of you thinking you know what I believe. When did I sugggest that I inow the intent of these migrants. Go back if you will and call up for me the sentence along with the context that I might have made that comment that has you calling racist.

No, wait, I'll copy that post that you first responded to.

Certainly this is a banana/banaana dance and that was the gist of my first point and my reply quoted above.

The whole idea of ''sanctuary'' cities in the North, and especially the North East is rather ludicrous. I mean, it sounds nice calling it ''Sanctuary''. All those liberal cities up and down the coasts have known for decades the blight of homelessness and and the inability of city and county government to deal with it in a humanitarian manner. Those that have managed to do so to a degree have shown that only makes it more attractive for more people to go there searching for the advantages

That DC mayor didn't sound nimby to me so much though of course it can easily be heard that way by any expecting that kind of response. She was engaged in discussing housing rental costs escalating and the cities attempts to build more housing for those forced into homelessness when the interviewer brought up the bus issue.

Her point was that these migrants had not intended to go to DC or any other northern city I guess. I don't know, likely some were. Do these people come here with no idea of where to go next, or do they have some place specific in mind, likely a relative or a friend already established further from the border. I don't know however her position was that they do and have had intentions of scattering to those places. And granted a large portion of the people they might be seeking out would be in the southern states. That was her liberal response. They didn't want to come here but were tricked into the buses bringing them here. She then said that the federal government needed to coordinate .

And none of that takes away from the case I made that those two governors may have stooped to conveying people under false pretenses. And of course it could be that there was only humanitarian concerns that prompted them to bus those people elsewhere. Of course, but I doubt it, that's not the consensus I get from reading in this thread. The consensus here is ''Yeah he showed em.''

So, humanitarian efforts OR using other peoples lives as pawns in a larger political game?

And most specifially this paragraph here where I speak to the DC mayors thoughts.

Her point was that these migrants had not intended to go to DC or any other northern city I guess. I don't know, likely some were. Do these people come here with no idea of where to go next, or do they have some place specific in mind, likely a relative or a friend already established further from the border. I don't know however her position was that they do and have had intentions of scattering to those places. And granted a large portion of the people they might be seeking out would be in the southern states. That was her liberal response. They didn't want to come here but were tricked into the buses bringing them here. She then said that the federal government needed to coordinate .

So, do you see anywhere in that post that would lead you to believe that I claim to know their intentions? In fact we can find at least a couple of places where i state that i do not know, just as I have in other places in this tread.

So please show me what you find objectionable in that post enough to throw accusations of racist

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The intentions of immigrants are going to be as mysterious as the intentions of anybody else. They're just normal people having an adventure. Taking a risk and hoping it works out.

I'm more interested in the intention of the people who funded the buses. I think it's working out for Texas to have less strain on its housing and other resources. Seems to be working out for the immigrants, because volunteers in DC are coming forward to help them.

I see the whole thing as a test of the immigrant welcoming ideology. My city of Portland Oregon is another sanctuary city. Has its problems too, but the place hasn't burned all the way to the ground yet. Crime is off the rails. Homeless enclaves everywhere. But I don't see Portland liberals changing their mind, even though they're experiencing the consequences.

That's the real test of an ideology. Do you still believe it when you have to pay for it? Maybe they do.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join