It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lentil soup

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a simple easy soup that is always delicious...

Lentils are amazing on their own or mixed with rice, but when you make a nice soup out of them it just disappears!!

Start off with a quick Mirepoix... (carrots, celery, onions...chopped evenly so they all cook at the same rate... Fennel IF you like) Sorry had to use that term, been doing a lot of cooking lately

Chop up 4 cloves of garlic, and a bit of fresh ginger and toss it all in a large pot or dutch oven with a few glugs of olive oil. Fry it all up on a medium heat for a good 10-15mins until the whole thing is a little translucent and soft.

Add
1 1/2tsp of Cumin
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1tsp of chili powder
1tbs tomato paste
1tsp black pepper
a couple bay leaves

Add a touch of salt IF needed, but the stock will have a lot of salt already so its likely not needed

mix well and fry for 5-6 mins to get the spices fragrant... then add 3 cups of lentils and mix er up again....

Now i prefer to add two cups of green and one cup of red lentils because red lentils basically dissolve and make the soup thicker

at this point you want to fill your pot with Chicken stock... depending on the size of the pot being used. IF its a dutch oven fill the pot about 2 inches from the top, and bring to a boil... about 8-12 cups. Any stock works because the lentils are the main flavor here, but i prefer chicken

Once boiling let the soup cook on a steady boil for a good 45 mins so the liquid reduces by an inch or two

Done!

Enjoy!!
edit on 15-6-2022 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Sounds tasty, some crusty bread, salt and pepper at the ready and i'd smash that.

My old grandad would make us a very similar soup, couldn't get enough of it. Unfortunately the recipe died with him and despite various family members trying to replicate we just can't nail it the same as he did.

God i miss him.
edit on 15/6/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

My old grandad would make us a very similar soup, couldn't get enough of it. Unfortunately the recipe died with him and despite various family members trying to replicate we just can't nail it the same as he did.

God i miss him.

i hear ya man... my Grampa used to make all sorts of things i couldn't ever recreate.... his biscuits were perfection

Give this a try though... i promise it won't disappoint

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Pix or it didn’t happen!

Jk I should try some of this

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:54 AM
link   

I'll rustle up a pot for me and the lad on Sunday before the roast dinner.

It sounds fantastic.

edit on 15/6/22 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ahh Lentils...

Neil loved them. God this brings back memories of my old band, back in the day, when we were in our younger teens...

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I make lentils as well. It always comes out delicious. In my lentils I get a green plantain and then use a grater to shred it and add it in. I use a fresh tomato instead of paste. I also throw in half a bag of the honey gold nibble potatoes. Basically really small potatoes. I may try the celery and carrots in my next batch. Sounds good. Also if you want a little extra flavor you can toss in some chorizo.

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

I make lentils as well. It always comes out delicious. In my lentils I get a green plantain and then use a grater to shred it and add it in. I use a fresh tomato instead of paste. I also throw in half a bag of the honey gold nibble potatoes. Basically really small potatoes. I may try the celery and carrots in my next batch. Sounds good. Also if you want a little extra flavor you can toss in some chorizo.

Omg... I might just add a russet potato to my next batch...

Add a diced tater while the veg is frying... the potato will dissolve in the boil, thicken and add an incredible flavor to the mix

my thanks!

edit on 15-6-2022 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Will definitely have to try this! Have been stocking up on lentils but haven't made any soup yet. Thanks for this healthy sounding recipe!

posted on Jun, 15 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   

This sounds delicious... I'm gonna have to try this.

posted on Jun, 16 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This is why I use the green plantain. The plantain thickens up the lentils quit well and adds flavor.

top topics

join