It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Drugs Commission to look at legalising cannabis

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

If you legalize it what kind of message are you sending out, that the government says that it's OK to hide from your problems by numbing yourself to reality?

It's ok to go to the doctor and get anti-depressants to numb yourself though.
1 out of 7 people are on them in Australia.

The use of SSRIs can cause side effects such as violent behaviour, mania or aggression and can also lead to suicide.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: Freeborn

Never really known someone who is stoned want to glass anyone and fight the world.

Ever seen a stoner having a psychotic break and thinking that you're some kind of monster in human form, and not knowing whether to run away form you in terror or to stab you with the kitchen knife that they've just picked up?

I've seen similar things, from personal experience I'd say it's extremely rare and more often than not substance use/abuse is exacerbating an underlying condition.

See the problem is an alcoholic sociopath will probably always be an alcoholic sociopath even when he gets sober, despite a lot of other substances being a damn sight harder and dangerous than alcohol they can have much better recovery cases especially in places decriminalisation is in practice.

Access and culture plays a role but the most important thing is education. Seems to me people rarely like addressing any turmoil in their life anyways, especially when it comes to emotional and mental well-being.

In your experience I'd say several people were highly irresponsible in allowing someone susceptible to hallucinations and delusions having strong skunk.

Sad truth is people in those situations will be medicated one way or another and nearly everybody with a reasonable opinion would agree too. It just shouldn't be "recreational" drugs and never without bags of experience and knowledge.

I aspire for more responsibility and choice far all, hence a decriminalisation and an educational stance. Anything else is probably supporting a societal stance that all substances should be heavily regulated since all people are susceptible to a mental illness or irrational emotional outbursts at seemingly any given time in their lives.

We're basically IV bags constantly pumped with different chemicals anyways. Should we start regulating how much serotonin we produce too? To simplify things it's all the same trigger points, regardless of input the reactions for some are inevitably the same.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If I was advising this Commission what I would recommend is that it be legalized via two routes.

One. Medication via prescription. There are a large number of people where MJ could be very helpful with medical conditions.

Two. If you fully legalize MJ have the users licensed. Add a spot on the driver's license where it shows a person is authorized to purchase MJ. Free to get originally but if there's a problem with a person abusing it then it's revocable. And expensive and hard to get back. Also not available until you're 21 or older as well. Also not automatically given. Must be requested. MJ only available through pharmacies. Etc, Etc.

And if two works really well then perhaps then extend it to alcohol too. Why no one's ever thought of alcohol licensing is sort of surprising actually. Cut off the alcoholics once they get a DWI/DUI or get arrested for public intoxication. Free to get but expensive to reinstate once lost.
edit on 16-5-2022 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I do not like weed anymore.. Not since i realized its kinda like a religion or a cult, people only see the positives and not the negative aspects. Perfectly healthy people "medicating" themselves deep in to numbland. All the organized crime around it, taxing problems..

All i can say about it that if you have a horrible disease, then go for it, you can just delete yourself with it, it might not actually take the pain away, but you will most likely stop caring about the pain. so i guess thats something.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

a reply to: Freeborn

If you legalize it what kind of message are you sending out, that the government says that it's OK to hide from your problems by numbing yourself to reality?

I'm pretty widely travelled, I've been around the world and back again several times. Both sides of the Iron curtain, places that you've probably never heard of, places where abject poverty is the norm, places where the wealth is obscene. All kinds of places.

Drugs don't fix social problems, they don't bring families together or mend broken relationships, they won't make your life better they just help you to forget about the bad parts for a short while. Then they inevitably make them worse.

Oh my god, we have something in common. i have never understood your point of view in anything, but we agree about this subject. This makes me happy. There is still hope for us humans.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Wow. Some wildly misinformed people here in this thread. We've had legal cannabis here for years and we haven't sunk into a quagmire of crime and people going psychotic. In fact, it does let the cops do more of their actual job and instead of targeting people for a plant they can now go after real criminals.

I find it amusing how some people have totally bought into the idiotic ideas that the war on drugs has given us. Some think it's a hallucinogen (It's NOT) while others think it's on par with meth, coke, opioids whatever and it also is NOT. It truly makes me sad that some people hate it so much but don't understand it at all.

Oh well, I ain't here to try and change peoples minds, they will have to do that on their own.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
This would be a mistake.
The crime rate in some communities would jump when they do this.

why would crime rates jump? if anything legalization reduces the crime rates caused by it. it has removed one major source of income for criminal gangs and terrorists. it has become cheaper since legalized, so that means less crime for those committing crimes to pay for it, for many it quite possibly means not committing crimes to pay for it, as it's now more affordable. being legal also means no criminal record if "caught with it", which means it does not stop a person's ability to get a decent job, because as a teen they got caught with it, which reduces yet another avenue for people turning into criminals, since they can't get a job because of a criminal record. it should also mean that being legal "drug testing" when applying for a job, such as many companies in the US do (including minimum wage, garbage jobs), will no longer keep people from being able to getting a job because of it. yet again reducing the number of people feeling they have no other choice but to be a criminal, because they can't get a job.

in fact the only "crime" i see increasing due to legalization, is littering (seriously with at least 4 or 5 pot shops withing a half mile of my place, those weed bags are everywhere blowing around).

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: gortex

I believe all the opposition to it is based on false information. Alcohol is worse yet it's legal.(IMHO)

Given how bad the Brits get when they are drunk, I dread to think of what it would be like if they were high as well.

i know. we've all seen the movies.

the other hand, there could be more benny hills and full monty pythons.

or maybe try to take Afghanistan again.

it will be legalized, you guys are practically ameriican and it's legal all over the place here.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Given how bad the Brits get when they are drunk, I dread to think of what it would be like if they were high as well.

Ahhh, one of my favorite posters. You!

These dark times need dark humor. I get mine from the uninformed masses. Pro covid vaccine, anti-cannabis, that kind of dark comedy is priceless!

LEGALIZE IT!

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
Some think it's a hallucinogen (It's NOT)

Depends on the individual. among many other things.

In some cases, a dose of MJ is comparable to 80-100ug of DSL

So there is that. but yeah, totally not a hallucinogen, however one wants to "define" that word.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpThenDown
I am all for legalisation, lets not forget the medicinal benefits of weed, people with chronic pain and other conditions benefit from it as oppossed to pharma produce drugs and there side effects

roll it up, light it up, inhale and exhale

That's the point. They are looking at making it legal because it has so many medical benefits. And if say we presume that we are all in for a hard time financially, then it would be the right thing to do, so at least we don't have to be poor and in pain.

My personal opinion on this hasn't changed for decades. The criminalisation of cannabis is a crime against humanity. One i would like to see come to justice.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Never known anybody stoned to hurt someone.

Plenty of sick evil drunks.

Its apples and oranges really.

Plus most drunk people who smoke cannabis simply fall asleep or just get the munchies.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Sounds

Sounds like its upset a load of old folks.

Just give them some edibles and they will be fine.

As to stoners intimidating local residents, you might need to elaborate on that one, how so?

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: XipeTotex

So there is that. but yeah, totally not a hallucinogen, however one wants to "define" that word.

You're one of those people that has a lot to say, about something you know very little about.

You should stop it really, it doesn't become you.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Could you provide a link to where you got this exact info please?

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MapOfNowhere

Ahhh, one of my favorite posters. You!

These dark times need dark humor. I get mine from the uninformed masses. Pro covid vaccine, anti-cannabis, that kind of dark comedy is priceless!

LEGALIZE IT!

Yes he got called out for talking 5hite (which he was) and didn't come back 😆
edit on 17-5-2022 by Albert999 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Sounds

Sounds like its upset a load of old folks.

Just give them some edibles and they will be fine.

As to stoners intimidating local residents, you might need to elaborate on that one, how so?

Bad antisocial behaviour apparently, and he knows for 100% FACT, that it's just MJ they are on and nothing else. No booze nothing, just MJ. lol

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Plus most drunk people who smoke cannabis simply fall asleep or just get the munchies.

Facts, well known facts. Apparently not that will known tho . 😬 lol

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999

You're one of those people that has a lot to say, about something you know very little about.

You should stop it really, it doesn't become you.

You know one of the reasons i came to see mj as a religion or a cult is because users feel attacked on a personal level if something bad is said about the plant, like take coffee or pizza for example, i like those, but do i get defensive and try to make the person look bad somehow for saying it? No i do not. I want you to think about how and why you replied to me the way you did.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Albert999

Facts, well known facts. Apparently not that will known tho . 😬 lol

I have known several "hippies" dreads an all, who were very violent human beings, beat up their girlfriends and sent them to hospitals, one of them tried to force me to cut their locks off with a pair of scissors, after a while he fell, hit his head on the ground, and when the ambulance came and tey tried to help him, he proceeded to knock out one of the paramedics. But yeah, not at all naive to say that all stoners are chill and harmless, or that it does not cause antisocial behaviour.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join