It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines election win returns Marcos to power, and polarisation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

When did you get the ability to see the future? Or did Imelda change her name and she's the one who got elected?

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's why msm and progressives hate Duterte too. They basically took one of our strongest pacific allies and forced them to align with China.

I think Duterte is a lot like Saddam...

Sometimes it takes a certain type to rule a certain type.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I don't, because he's stepping down and not putting his family up as dictators in perpetually.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It did not do sooooo well...

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Well anything is better than the prior President.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   

That's why msm and progressives hate Duterte too. They basically took one of our strongest pacific allies and forced them to align with China.

why would that cause the msm and "progressives" to hate Duterte? since it was Obama that helped drive them into China's arms in the first place?

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I don't, because he's stepping down and not putting his family up as dictators in perpetually.

except you are wrong. Duterte's children took over as mayor of the area he was mayor of after him. and i guess you might not know this, as it is possible that it wasn't talked about much outside of the Philippines, but he was in fact trying to get his daughter to run and take over as President, or at least vice President (with bong bong taking the other spot). and even Duterte himself was going to run for VP (which caused a lot of controversy as to the legality of doing so), but i guess since she did, he decided not to. something at times she would agree to, and other times refuse, in the end running for vice President. (vice President is voted separately from President). and since from what i have seen, she also may have won (no results are really official yet,normally takes a few days), makes your comment rather wrong.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Well anything is better than the prior President.

you almost made me spray my coke.

since of course not only is bong bong planning on continuing Duterte's lead, so far looks like Dutrte's daughter will be his VP. so how can he be better than Duterte, since he has stated he will be continuing Duterte's policies and continuing down the same path? a style of rule that is rather close to bong bong's father, the dictator. and there was great concern about Duterte also declaring marshal law, and becoming a dictator as well for the last 6 years (6 years is the term for those federal positions).

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

I was here in the Philippines when he was elected. Never heard anyone who didn’t like him.

Towards the end of his Presidency some people didn’t like him as much as he seemed to change.

Heard a lot of statements like "what happened to him."

His daughter just won Vice-President.

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik

you almost made me spray my coke.

since of course not only is bong bong planning on continuing Duterte's lead, so far looks like Dutrte's daughter will be his VP. so how can he be better than Duterte, since he has stated he will be continuing Duterte's policies and continuing down the same path? a style of rule that is rather close to bong bong's father, the dictator. and there was great concern about Duterte also declaring marshal law, and becoming a dictator as well for the last 6 years (6 years is the term for those federal positions).

We will see, but Duterte got rather crazy scary. I'm not sure why so many support Marcos family again, I guess lots of money. Side note: I flew Marcos and family out of the Philippines when he was kicked out back in 1986.

posted on May, 12 2022 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

I was here in the Philippines when he was elected. Never heard anyone who didn’t like him.

Towards the end of his Presidency some people didn’t like him as much as he seemed to change.

Heard a lot of statements like "what happened to him."

His daughter just won Vice-President.

i was also in the Philippines when he was elected. and most people i knew there didn't like him right from the beginning. in fact talk of him declaring marshal law, started even before he was elected. those that did like him, often cited about how he would end the corruption (which is leftover from the Marcos regime, and was being dealt with, especially by the 2 Presidents before him. to the point it had gone from cops and traffic enforcers fully expecting you to automatically hand over a bribe with your driver's licence, and paying your fine (supposedly less, but in reality for a foreigner at least, much more), to them instead of the "wasting your time by having to take your licence, to be returned once you paid your fine at the appropriate place" (and many times it would take over a week for your licence to get there). to them taking bribes, or collecting "fines", being fired. (which you might recall once ended up causing such a fired cop, to take a bus load of tourists hostage, to get his job back. for some reason didn't work). and of course that Duterte would bring back the "prosperity" of the Philippines, that it had under the Marcos regime. as well as to "bring back the days under Marcos where crime wasn't a problem".

and we all know how well it turned out under him, with cops again starting to want bribes, and collect money. more shootings and holdups. not to mention all the bodies from extrajudicial killing left with signs saying something like "drug pusher" found all over the place. and so many "drug dealers" supposedly getting into shootouts with police (only ever heard of one or two cops ever being wounded), and killing them. and things like guns and bullets (often the same looking, dangerously maintained guns, and ammo of all sorts of calibers lying around it), "appearing" between when said shootings happened and the media being called in. even had a family friend who had nothing to do with drugs, shot and killed by police, who then claimed he was a dangerous drug dealer who was appropriately killed. really became quite the way to get rid of people you don't like, especially over politics. even one cop who while off duty felt he could kill his neighbors over "noise issues" and trying to say it was self defense when he went to deal with their "illegal activities" and fought back. too bad it was filmed and clearly showed how he shot the guy in the head unarmed, and not resisting, then walking over to where the mother was sitting, and calmly shooting her in the head.

and i did mention in one reply how it appears Duterte's daughter was elected as VP, haven't seen anything official for results (admittedly haven't looked yet today), something that normally takes several days if not over a week to get official results.

one of the best lines from a friend yet on this election was asking if the voting machine company used parts from CDR King (a discount electronics/gadgets store well known for shoddy and problematic, cheap electronics and gadgets). something which makes sense considering there have apparently been several cases of voting machine issues. and even issues with how they were used.

MANILA, Philippines – Multiple incidents of malfunctioning vote-counting machines (VCM) and SD cards have been reported on election day, May 9. Commission on Elections (Comelec) Commissioner Marlon Casquejo said that as of past 4 pm Monday, 168 VCMs and 176 SD cards had been found defective.

(2nd UPDATE) Comelec's established contingency procedures give the voter two options: let the electoral board batch-feed the ballot at a later time with watchers present, or wait for the VCM malfunction issue to be resolved so the voter could personally feed the ballot into the machine
www.rappler.com...

problems you have to admit make the results majorly suspicious.

posted on May, 14 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   

So far the random audits have been 100% in line with the machines.

There was a 0.15% failure rate in the machines, which is pretty much expected when electronics are stored in a hot and humid climate for 3 years (since the last local election).

Even taking into consideration a couple of bought votes and compromised machines, it's an indisputable victory. Heck, even the current Duterte only got 39% of the popular vote.

It's just a shame that the past 2+ years of the presidency were been diluted with the pandemic. There was alot of potential for more successes during his term in my opinion.

I'd love to know where these malls are that you can walk out with restricted weapons. You havent been able to get a license for anything "higher powered" than .22TCM the past 6 or 7 years and buying Ammo has become near impossible.

www.gmanetwork.com...
edit on 14-5-2022 by TheResidentAlien because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join