It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines election win returns Marcos to power, and polarisation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Because of the sins of the father and even the mother I am slightly surprised he won the election. But after Duterte and no telling what has been going under the oversight of election officials maybe this will not be as bad as some claim.

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines woke to a new but familiar political dawn on Tuesday, after an election triumph by Ferdinand Marcos Jr paved the way for a once unimaginable return to the country’s highest office for its most notorious political dynasty.

Marcos, better known as “Bongbong”, trounced bitter rival Leni Robredo to become the first candidate in recent history to win a Philippines presidential election majority, marking a stunning comeback by the son and namesake of an ousted dictator that has been decades in the making.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

So... what voting machines are they using.

Either it was rigged or ...

The People Have Spoken.

Time will tell us.

US rule over the island nation is gone for good and so have the puppet dictators ... one hopes.

P

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I expect drug use and drug related everything to rise sharply.

Marcos es no bueno.

Remember the infamous shoe collection?? While their countrymen starved Mrs. Marcos was out trying on the finest footwear..

We'll see I guess..🤷🏾‍♂️

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Is it rigged as is it in Europe or anywhere else for that matter?
edit on 10-5-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 02:18 AM
link   
it really is not much of a surprise. the fact is they were allowed to rewrite and whitewash history, especially that history being taught in schools. which is the same extreme danger we are facing with the rewriting of history in North America these day. it also shows the danger of our currant politicizing of school

pretty much the younger generation has been taught that the Philippines was much better under Marcos and their dictatorship. that corruption was non existent under that regime, and the rule of law stopped crime. and in a Stalinesque display Marcos's body was on display in a shrine for years for people to venerate (Duterte allowed him to be burred with honor in a national cemetery within Fort Bonifacio in Metro Manila back in 2016, as a hero). i visited with a church group once, and the lineup was incredible, taking a couple hours to get through the line to view the body. in fact their homes and area was turned into pretty much a shrine to "the great man". showing all the great things he and his wife did (and lets face it he did do some good, but then again so did hitler).

it also does not help that after the last election (in which bong bong ran as VP and lost), Duterte and the government under him made sure to silence the main stream media company who opposed him and bong bong, and ensured other media would toe the line, by shutting down what was probably the biggest and most watched and trusted media company in the country. (another danger we have been seeing in North America,especially Canada). and one of the tings that angered them so much was that news company setting up interviews between some of the younger generation, and those that survived torture and political imprisonment under Marcos. in which in almost every case, the young generation was completely shocked by what they were told, some even bursting into tears as they found out the truth of the Marcos rein of terror. far from what they had been taught.

and the worst part is, the corruption and lawlessness people are upset about today, is DUE to the Marcos dictatorship, which only ended in 1986. since most of those in top positions in the country, are still those who served under Marcos, and just now getting towards retirement age. after all it's almost impossible to get rid of everyone in positions of power in such a case, without the country descending into anarchy. in fact great strides had been made by the governments before Duterte in stopping that corruption, especially within the national police (PNP), and traffic enforcers. of course at least partially reinstating that corruption under Duterte and his sanctioning of extrajudicial killings. as well as jailing even elected political opponents, such as a senator. and i know from what friends were posting their was great concern over the election integrity, on the day of the election (on monday their time, sunday night our time).

in some ways i glad i just moved back to North America a couple months ago due to this election result. as if things go bad, we could be seeing a replay of the EDSA revolution. and remember the people have tons of privately owned guns. and unlike in the US they have things like machine guns, not just so called semiautomatic "assault rifles", or even just actual assault rifles (AK 47 type guns are popular). but i could if i was a citizen (non citizens can't have guns at all), walk to the mall and buy an actual machine gun, or grenade launcher (and some are quite cheap, under $700 for such weapons). and i remember when the houses across the street from me burned down, there was great concern about the grenades in one of the houses going off. and also remember political assassinations and mass political killings, have happened, in recent years.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 04:52 AM
link   

My wife is Filipino, she's not a fan of Marcos but he's the best candidate she says. Duterte's daughter also is going to win.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I expect drug use and drug related everything to rise sharply.

Democrats have been calling for the end of Duterte's ant-drug stance for a long time. Marcos has said he will continue it.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Because of the sins of the father and even the mother I am slightly surprised he won the election. But after Duterte and no telling what has been going under the oversight of election officials maybe this will not be as bad as some claim.

MANILA (Reuters) - The Philippines woke to a new but familiar political dawn on Tuesday, after an election triumph by Ferdinand Marcos Jr paved the way for a once unimaginable return to the country’s highest office for its most notorious political dynasty.

Marcos, better known as “Bongbong”, trounced bitter rival Leni Robredo to become the first candidate in recent history to win a Philippines presidential election majority, marking a stunning comeback by the son and namesake of an ousted dictator that has been decades in the making.

www.reuters.com...

well they will announce on the 28th.

but there are still not done voting but jr has a big lead.

when i was there there were marco's running for everything all over the country.

my friend said the place is so f'n corrupt. she is phillipino.

i laughed and said, as bad as the us? she doesn't follow our politics but i'd say not as much, lol.
imelda is still kicking. i wonder if there are any shoes left ?

shame tho, it's such a beautiful place.nice people besides the criminals.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Yep many beautiful islands and some really fun great people. Military guys I knew were professional and real warriors. I went to Jungle survival school there which is something I hope I never forget.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I am a Canadian but I work with a lot of Filipinos almost half our work force across a broad range of jobs and life styles.
I’ll tell you what they all love Marcus. Go figure.
Many even refer to his dad as the late great dictator. So they even actually liked his father too. Weird eh?

It’s worth mentioning many of the Filipinos I rub shoulders with also liked the previous Leader Duterte and support his heavy handed approve to drugs and corruption and many when I pry can’t fathom that Duterte is himself corrupt and simply uses those approaches to slasher and intimidate his opponents they all disagree and say the their country is horribly corrupt and the only thing that could save them is killing all the corruption like Duterte has done in their eyes.

My one Filipino friend said it best they always tell the world that a dictator has been elected but they never say why he was elevated. The people feel that they have a need for a iron rule at least for a while.

These arnt my beliefs just passing on what I’ve heard.

. Anecdotal?absolutely.

edit on 10-5-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Just what that country needs: its own Baby Doc Marcos.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

The People Have Spoken.

Time will tell us.

US rule over the island nation is gone for good and so have the puppet dictators ... one hopes.

P

Wife is filipino. She’s happy. Her family is happy. All the neighbors surrounding her family are happy. It was the same with Duterte.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

The People Have Spoken.

Time will tell us.

P

Wife is filipino. She’s happy. Her family is happy. All the neighbors surrounding her family are happy. It was the same with Duterte.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Wife is Philippine, currently in the Philippines.

Almost everyone I heard talk about election liked Marcos.

They absolutely loved Duterte. I can personally attest that much, if not most, of what you heard in Western journalism was lies about Duterte and what he said and did.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   

So he has his mothers and his fathers genes eh!.

Well damn it I am going to open up a gold plated shoe shop and send him advertising leaflets I should be set for life.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze
Wife is Philippine, currently in the Philippines.

Almost everyone I heard talk about election liked Marcos.

They absolutely loved Duterte. I can personally attest that much, if not most, of what you heard in Western journalism was lies about Duterte and what he said and did.

some people did like Duterte and do like Marcos, but from what i am seeing posted by friends now, and most of those i talked with there, did, and do not. it is rather like those who like democrats or Republicans in the US. but it is not something you will see online in comments on news stories, since during the last election (for Duterte), people opposed to him were cowed online. not just getting shouted down, but were being threatened over their vocal opposition. and of course afraid for their lives of being killed as "being involved with drugs", be it by police, or anyone else for that matter.

and i can attest that most (it is after all possible that while living there, i missed some western news media reports), of what was being heard in western media was not only true, but understated. one of the big jokes to many during watching the news IN the Philippines was the fact that it seemed many of the guns pictured beside "dead druggies", looked like the exact same guns, and many of those guns themselves looked to be in poor enough shape, that if they did fire at police, the guns looked likely to blow up, if they even worked. seriously just how many guns are going to be taped together identically? even the ammo spread around, was often of different calibers, and wouldn't have worked in said guns shown. even had witnesses state (one of which i knew personally), that guns and ammo magically appeared between when people were killed by police, and when media came to record the scene for the news. even had a family friend, who had nothing to do with drugs, killed by police, for "his involvement with drugs".

and don't even get me started about what Duterte said. it was rather amusing watching and listening to what he said, and then a few hours later his currant mouthpiece (he went through a few), telling the world what Duterte actually meant, and how some of the things he said, such as soldiers being allowed to rape, was just a joke. my personal opinion was Duterte looked like he was stoned most of the time (on legally proscribed drugs of course). i do know many people speculated that his war on drugs was about getting rid of his illegal drug competition. and of course dealing with those opposed to him.

posted on May, 10 2022 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Total Landslide, 60%+ of total votes, with the remaining 40 being split between 9 other candidates. I can't fathom why there is not some kind of preliminary election when it comes to the presidency as it just wastes votes on runners who literally have zero chance at office. But anyhow

When Duterte got elected only 38.5% of folk voted for him to win, not the actual majority, although for the most part people love him, warts and all, his approval ratings are off the charts, just a shame that alot of past two years has been wasted on the pandemic.

I really thought there would be more of a battle between the two top runners, but I was proven wrong early in the night. Guess we'll see how it pans out, but I'm guessing most of the previous administrations policies will roll over into the new presidency pretty seamlessly with no major shakeups.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Did anyone see the documentary on Marcos?

This probably won’t sit well with a lot of you but both of them remind me very much of the Trump family.
Don’t believe me look it up for yourself.

They see themselves as the saviors of the country. Even some of the weird things they do are EXACTLY the same. Do they have a textbook for this stuff or what?
They, especially Imelda would go around and pop out some cash and give it to people. Look up Trump, he is notorious for also doing this.

Look at their houses and how they demand to live in some crazy gold laden luxury while “saving” everyone.
There is a love affair with shoes, especially for Imelda. Trump himself has complimented people on shoes.

They love to keep politics in the family….

No matter how dirty some of their deeds, they will always have followers to the point of being fanatical.

Don’t come at me, also I am not a fan of Biden at all, so when I say something negative about the Trump administration, it is not in admiration of Biden!!!!!!

Love or hate them the Marcos or the Trumps, they are playing by the same book.
There is a lot more, just look into it.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   

History repeat itself, but the crying will not start until is too late as usual.

As long as the candidate align with the WHO version of one world government these puppets will always win elections.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's why msm and progressives hate Duterte too. They basically took one of our strongest pacific allies and forced them to align with China.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join