It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rat pups born from sperm artificially produced from stem cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Does this mean pretty much "artificial life" is around the corner? maybe not but perhaps body part farms? Now, what would an endless supply of replacement parts do for our life expectancy?

but since it was just rat stem cells it might only work with lawyers...

www.newscientist.com...=1649364321

Rat sperm cells generated from stem cells in the lab have been used to produce fertile offspring for the first time. The approach could be adapted to rescue endangered rodents and may help to inform the artificial production of human sperm to treat infertility.

Until now, cells that give rise to sperm and egg cells, called germ cells, have only been produced in the lab in mice.

Toshihiro Kobayashi at the University of Tokyo and his colleagues have now shown that stem cells extracted from rat embryos can be grown in the lab to produce germ cells that form sperm when implanted into rat testes.

However, rats and mice are more similar to each other than humans, and the artificial production of human sperm and eggs may be several decades away.

“Humans and non-human primates have different modes of [germ cell development] and a much longer developmental timeline. So generalisation of the result to other species might not necessarily be straightforward,” says Kotaro Sasaki at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   

edit on 7-4-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: I was feeling creative

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Toshihiro Kobayashi at the University of Tokyo and his colleagues have now shown that stem cells extracted from rat embryos can be grown in the lab to produce germ cells that form sperm when implanted into rat testes.

Interesting!

So, I'm guessing that the sperm convey the DNA from the embryo, not of the male with the implanted cells in their testes. good news (eventually) for men with low sperm count...I guess?

edit on 7-4-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Future Storm Troopers

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Good news for some.

A pathway to conception by removing those toxic males completely out of the chain.

"Mommy....who was my daddy?"

"..............................................."

Best start thinking on ways to explain the miracles of cellular biology and hyperplasia to toddlers.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So begins the rat race.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Interesting!

So, I'm guessing that the sperm convey the DNA from the embryo, not of the male with the implanted cells in their testes. good news (eventually) for men with low sperm count...I guess?

interesting question, I do not know, and not even sure where to ask,LOL

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened
Good news for some.

A pathway to conception by removing those toxic males completely out of the chain.

"Mommy....who was my daddy?"

"..............................................."

Best start thinking on ways to explain the miracles of cellular biology and hyperplasia to toddlers.

Probably

posted on Apr, 8 2022 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Interesting!

Great, now the genetically inferior have a shot at injecting there bad genes into the pool. I thought natures way of weeding out the weak was through a means like this. Natural selection or some thing or other??

posted on Apr, 8 2022 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Future Storm Troopers

Along that line of inquiry, how long till we can send a transport into space engineered to create life when it journeys beyond our solar system and detects a suitably habitable planet.

Wouldn’t that be a whizzbang of an undertaking.

posted on Apr, 8 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Interesting!

how they get them in there?

you gonna stick that needle where?!

posted on Apr, 8 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Idk maybe they will experiment on ducks next to solve that problem as male ducks have 9 inch long corkscrew penises 😳

new topics

top topics

join