It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Personally, I find myself more open minded than most people. This is partly because I overanalyze things, and often find that there is no perfect solution. I am constantly making calculations on possible outcomes (in a basic sense, its kinda like the computer in wargames playing tic tac toe with itself and ending up determining there's no solution, or in some ways, its like sitting there and trying to find the exact value of pi every time there is a choice).

Basically, I think like a never ending branching logic tree, and I do find myself uncomfortable around people because they introduce too many choices and variables and I don't have the time to consider all my choices and still respond in a timely manner.

I especially find myself getting overloaded when I am in large crowds, or there is a lot of stuff going on. This is partly because of my introvert wiring I suppose, but instead of just ignoring everything, I tend to start queueing stuff to think about, and get behind. This sometimes causes issues when I am dealing with people, so I deal with it by predicting what they are going to do, but still sometimes I get distracted, or just don't care enough to bother.

I don't believe in fact, just varying degrees of probability. Sometimes it leads to out of the box solutions, but often it just leads to indecision.
I think people need to make certain assumptions to function properly, but I understand them as only assumptions. I really hate when people don't understand that their reality is only a group of assumptions based on perception. Occasionally I used to tweak people by talking them out of something they firmly believed, but I quit doing it because people tend to become uncomfortable when their reality is turned on its head.

I believe in God, and yes I have actually considered the different possibilities and found other choices to be insufficient. I understand where evolutionists are coming from but they are missing a few key points. Ultimately, people are going to believe what they choose, so I don't generally bother debating it on message boards because the debates quickly turn to noise. I've had a few 1 on 1's with a few athiests and did get them to admit maybe they're not athiests tho. Confronting them with things that never occurred to them tends to throw them off guard. It's not the point of the thread so I'm not going to go into more detail about it.

I really don't care what people do as long as they thought it through. I generally don't care if people do things just because the feel like it, as long as they know thats why they did it. Oddly enough, even the most logical decision is ultimately based on our desire to feel a certain way, so as much as feelings are illogical, they are the basis of human reality. I just can't respect people that insist something is true without being able to explain why, so I tend to not be interested in most people.

I do get lonely because I often don't think of other people as peers because I don't respect their thought process. I usually don't have to observe someone more than a few seconds to understand a good deal about them, and because of that usually I lose interest immediately. I've only completely misjudged someone once, and it was the greatest thing ever. (Basically someone I thought was dumb turned out just to be pretending to be dumb and actually "schooled" me good. Think "The Game" on a lesser scale. Ok, maybe she was psycho, because she went through waaay too much effort, but it was still fun.) :]

I really don't care if people are "smart" or not, but I love people who are inqisitive and open minded about everything. Unfortunately, I don't know many of those people, although I know they're out there.

Ok, I think I went off topic but oh well!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I do worry that I'm less smart than I used to be. For example, in high school, I was able to use DOS debug to learn how to program assembly language and then write a full assembler/compiler for it, all in the matter of an afternoon without any documentation.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't repeat that these days, but I wonder how much of that is just that I am too distracted to bother trying. I wonder how much more people would achieve if they weren't constantly bombarded with distractions.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Freeb, you don't know how much you have in common with me. Expect maybe you are a little older than I am. I would like to talk with you more.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by antigovFZ777
I wish i could contribute a lot to this thread. But my IQ falls just a few notches short of 130...
lol.

I have learned though... That the people who are "really smart" are usually the people who ONLY try in school if they are looking to go to a university straight out of high school. Other than that, most of the really smart people stay in the barely passing range.

I would say that anyone with a highly above average, or genius IQ is for the most part free thinking, and honest. And like has already been mentioned, can process information in their heads much faster than the others.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an I.Q. of 129.

However, I've always tried hard in school my entire live. My parents made it seem like a bad thing to not understand something or not excel in academics. It has paid off, though. I'm able to understand things pretty quickly. However, I do get a bit bored in class when kids won't stop asking loads of questions.

Anyways, I've noticed a trend between self proclaimed geniuses. Most of them seem to be lazy. They can remember things well, but they never do homework or any work really, but they make up for it by doing well on tests. Also, they seem to be a bit arrogant at times. I haven't met one that hasn't called me an "idiot" yet.

By the way, (I know this is a bit weird) but when I read through this thread, I really liked the way some of you wrote your posts. They were like an art piece strung together with beautifully written sentences.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have an IQ well above 140 but the most important things in this world will be done by people with the biggest hearts. That is what I am most proud of about myself, my ability to care about EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY. I overanalyze to a fault and I tend to plan out whole days and conversations and what I'll say to people to make them laugh hours before I see them. It gets to be tedious because oftentimes, it is just easier to go with the flow. This constant "thinking" has ruined several relationships I've had in my life and generally seems to complicate the simple things that do not require alot of thought. I cannot seem to just slow down and focus on one thing so I turn to certain "substances" to slow my brain down enough to concentrate on a single thought at a time. (No, I'm not some drug addict either) I have a photographic memory which gets me into trouble because I can contradict something a person said today that differs from what he/she said months ago. It allows for an easy way to mistrust people when most likely, the person just misspoke and does not realize it. Of course, I am glad to be as intelligent as I am but sometimes I would prefer to just be ignorant to the world so I can have some peace inside my head. I know this will never happen and I should just be grateful for what I am able to do but I do not mind when I can just sit back, relax, and worry about nothing. IQ may determine "potential", but the heart determines what kind of person you are. That is what is most vital to me.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
O.K. Count me in.

Never been "officially" tested. I took one of those timed tests via the net and scored close to 140.

I've always thought that those type of IQ tests relay how well an individual compartmentalizes information. Some others in this thread have referred to how many connections they can make between seemingly individual pieces of information to form hypothesis to a problem. Likewise, I do the same.

I don't know if I am a genius, nor do I care to know. I have an affinity for the abstract and the most trivial piece of info. I do well remembering numbers and often remember numbers by prescribing patterns to them based on their type.

Many people have cited by ability to think outside the box. And I tend to be more optimistic than most. Typically, I am the one who vehemently states that something can be done rather than be opposed to fixing a problem.

For me, the most difficult part of thinking like I do is thinking too much at times. Unless I am deeply engrossed in something, I tend to have dozens of thoughts transpiring at the same time. I can see the big picture, yet focus so intensely that I lose my focus.

I enjoy the company of others to a point. Usually I get bored and decide to find something else to do. Maybe I just have ADHD. (There is no such thing you know)

Perhaps the one thing that bothers me the most is feeling that I have some sort of key to the ills of this world but can't do anything about it. I have always felt the need to contribute to the greater good and that someday, somehow I would help many people. Apprently that day has not come yet.

IQ doesn't matter. It's what you KNOW to be true that matters. And, it's what you do with what you KNOW.

Whatever life has in store for me, I hope to make the best of it. If by chance my synapses help solve a problem in our society then I will feel that I have led a meaningful life. (Gee, that sounded rather bionic, didn't it?)

Hope and Peace to All

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
as far as im concerned, IQ wont tell you a whole lot, besides how you think (ex: whether your brain can excel more in math or language arts) but i got a 149 on the emode test. It said that i am an "original thinker" and that "only 6 in 1000 have this rare combination of abilities". yeah whatever. anyway...

emotionally- well, im 15, but ive never really gone through a whole lotta roller coasters. i pick my battles very carefully. im creative though, and it shows in my hacking (even though im rather new, i pick up on it very quickly) and piano (which i also picked up very quickly. ).

After 1 year of self-teaching, i could play the original Billy Joel stuff, like New York State of Mind. Nowadays, im working on writing my own music, particularly jazz. I personally dont consider myself to have gone very far at all in piano (compared to the other mozarts in my school), but everyone says i progress very quickly and that they are amazed that ive never had a real piano teacher.

socially- *sighs* one area i definately dont excede well in, typical of the hacker stereotype. I have a few close friends, but not a whole lot. I hate large crowds of any type. Well, music concerts are the one exception.

so yeah. Creative, original. guess it fits the test i took at least.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by aggroskater
as far as im concerned, IQ wont tell you a whole lot, besides how you think (ex: whether your brain can excel more in math or language arts) but i got a 149 on the emode test. It said that i am an "original thinker" and that "only 6 in 1000 have this rare combination of abilities". yeah whatever. anyway...

emotionally- well, im 15, but ive never really gone through a whole lotta roller coasters. i pick my battles very carefully. im creative though, and it shows in my hacking (even though im rather new, i pick up on it very quickly) and piano (which i also picked up very quickly. ).

After 1 year of self-teaching, i could play the original Billy Joel stuff, like New York State of Mind. Nowadays, im working on writing my own music, particularly jazz. I personally dont consider myself to have gone very far at all in piano (compared to the other mozarts in my school), but everyone says i progress very quickly and that they are amazed that ive never had a real piano teacher.

socially- *sighs* one area i definately dont excede well in, typical of the hacker stereotype. I have a few close friends, but not a whole lot. I hate large crowds of any type. Well, music concerts are the one exception.

so yeah. Creative, original. guess it fits the test i took at least.

Hey man we have a lot in common, u2u me, and we can chat

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
IQ scores are nothing but memorization exams

they prove nothing in the way of "ACTUALLY THINKING"
lol

besides
ive always held the strict belief that anyone who would answer to a question like "What do people with superhigh IQs think like"

as a stupid question that only stupid people would answer

its a "Yay im so great and better than all of you" thing
its selfish, arrogant; and downright ignorant

everyone thinks Differently

people with "high IQs" or whatever your classification of brain useage is
well;
the difference between "smart" and "stupid" people is basically this

smart people spend all their time thinking about things
trying to put the pieces of the puzzle togeather
and stupid people spend all their time gloating about how smart they are; and thus they arrogantly pat themselves on the back endlessly
thats why they are stupid

no offense to anyone but that is my personal belief on the subject

its fair for me to bash those whom put themselves on the "im so smart my IQ is really high" high horse
because when they claim their mental superiority of their fellow humans,
they are bashing every single human on earth with their unfounded arrogance and self-love

see that self love takes all your time away from loving others

thats why i think the attitudes of arrogance should be shot down by some sharp words that should cut right thru your selfishness and get to the very bottom of it all

they love themselves and will jump at any oppurtunity to brag about how great they are; and try to "teach others" about their greatness

in the subject of IQs... which vary daily depending on mood; health; sleep etc.... you cant just "enlighten" someone else and then "Boom" suddenly they are 'super geniouses like the rest of ya'

anyways;
you see im very offended by this thread and by the self-loving nature that it creates from some of our more arrogant posters ....

ive been wanting to post this comment for quite some time now; and finally i found my password earlier yesterday night and now i can come scold the lot of you for turning yourselves into those whom do not have "high Intellectual quotents" but rather
high "Irony quotents"

like i said before; those who brag about being 'so smart' are in reality
not very smart at all because they leave themselves open for ceaseless assults and barrages by people like myself; who do not believe in such silly LABELS to judge everyone by

if you treat others as EQUALS for once; i may treat you as intelligent
otherwise as long as you treat the average person (like me) as a complete idiotic retard; i will find no problem in returning the favor to those whom offered it to me in the first place

what goes around comes around
and
you reap what you sow

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
besides
ive always held the strict belief that anyone who would answer to a question like "What do people with superhigh IQs think like"
as a stupid question that only stupid people would answer

You might want to fix that sentence before calling everybody else here stupid. I can see why it's fun to poke fun at these little bragging contests which always go with IQ threads, but accusing everyone who responds of being stupid? Why can't they just have entirely too much time on their hands and possibly serious self-esteem problems? Always right to the "stupid" man. Things haven't changed a bit since elementary school- you can barely finish a sentence without some moron calling you stupid. (yes I realize the irony of that last sentence and it is intentional.)

its fair for me to bash those whom put themselves on the "im so smart my IQ is really high" high horse
because when they claim their mental superiority of their fellow humans,
they are bashing every single human on earth with their unfounded arrogance and self-love

You seem a little sensitive about this. Would it help if we all got together and agreed that you're smart too?

see that self love takes all your time away from loving others

Well, if stereotypes hold true, most smart people are "nerds" and don't get many opportunities to "love others"
Play the hand you're dealt, right? (No pun intended).

they love themselves and will jump at any oppurtunity to brag about how great they are; and try to "teach others" about their greatness

I would never presume to teach others about my greatness. There is no way your simple minds could ever grasp it.

like i said before; those who brag about being 'so smart' are in reality
not very smart at all because they leave themselves open for ceaseless assults and barrages by people like myself; who do not believe in such silly LABELS to judge everyone by

Of course you believe in labels and generalizations. You have applied them liberally. You just have a certain aversion to positive ones, possibly because you think humanity is graded on a curve which somehow devalues you if others are in any way praised. I am confident that there is plenty of room for all of us to happy with ourselves without needlessly degrading others. There is no reason to be sensitive about it.

if you treat others as EQUALS for once; i may treat you as intelligent
otherwise as long as you treat the average person (like me) as a complete idiotic retard;

Nobody treated you like an idiotic retard. (Well, some might say that's what I'm doing now, but you know what they say... if the shoe fits, Vagabond will kick you in the arse with it.)

what goes around comes around

Unless it hits something- then it might either stop or be deflected and you'll never see it again. Since you've picked this up as if it were personally addressed to you and made it a chip on your shoulder, I don't see how it could possibly ever make its way back around.

you reap what you sow

I think you mean you sew what you rip. Often enough people do not reap what they sow at all. They sell the field to the first sucker who comes along and laugh all the way to the bank. I learned that back when I was an accountant at Arthur Anderson.
(not really).

You know, it seems to me that you could use some help making your case against us, and I've found that nothing makes a point quite like an old saying. Allow me to offer you two that you can use against us. I offer them because I love these sayings and work them into every conversation I possibly can, no matter how inappropriate:
1. They say the empty can rattles the most.
2. That (in this case meaning IQ) and 25 cents will buy you a cup of coffee. (note that this is an outdated expression- it originated back when 25 cents was the full price of a cup of coffee.)

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think?

How do people with

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Last test - IQ 163

I'm a stay at home mom ... so I think with crayons and
peanut butter and honey sandwiches most of the time.

I'm (mostly) Catholic, (mostly) Republican, and mostly
too tired from taking care of my family and the home
to think about anything except the crayons and the
dusting that has to be done.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   

IQ scores are nothing but memorization exams

they prove nothing in the way of "ACTUALLY THINKING"
lol

And which standardized IQ test did you take to draw this conclusion?

From all the tests i have taken, i've found that IQ tests aren't something you can really prepair for outside of being well rested before the test.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
my IQ was tested (sanford-binet) when I was 5 and I have been
told that it was 174...my SAT's (over 20 yrs ago) were 1460 - I don't
feel that I think "differently" from others, per se - Byrd's comments
at the beginning of the thread were quite appropriate - I find myself
seeing patterns in data that other's do not, or at least it takes others
longer to see the same thing, and it served me in good stead (along with my phenomenal memory-I find that if I study something when sober and get a good night's sleep on it, I tend to keep it permanently)through my college years (double bachelors in physics & chemistry)...I do find that as i've gotten older (i'm 40)i've become more and more misanthropic, possibly to spare myself (and others!!
) my unintentional occasional disdain at having them not "get it" sooner...I sometimes wish that I was not blessed (cursed?) with my formidable intellect...as Bob Dylan said, "people tell me it's a sin, to know and feel to much within...", and you'd be surprised how appropriate the old saw "ignorance is bliss" sometimes becomes in my internal dialogues...

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
ok i apoligize for being such a jerk
seriously

but as an idiot; i find it hard in my empty skull to find any way to express my feelings about this than to lash out and try to burst the bubbles

i did not mean that the people were stupid
but rather the attitudes and thought processes involved in this whole thing
and accordingly i called theses attitudes stupid ones
because well; they sorta are in more ways than one

perhaps i am a moron; but i am well aware of this factual piece of evidence; and therefore i use it to my advantage as any self-aware moron would

plus thinking in this frame of mind is very hilarious; producing almost constant laughter ....

i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings; rather i wanted to just rebutt their assertions by switching things around

plus when you pointed out that i said "i do not want to use such silly labels to judge people by" i wasnt referring to my own set of labels lmao

i was just simply referring to the IQ system of labels * numbers usually 60 to 160

that is a numerical system intended to give people a heirarchial view of other people
"oh that guys a 75 hes way below me"
"oh that chicks a 160 we are idiots compared to her"

see this is all irrelevant in reguards to intelligence in reality because i bet the high IQ people make equal as many mistakes as the low IQ ones
the High IQ people are not nessicarily more wealthy than the low IQs;
in fact; i see no real determing factor that an IQ can gauge

other than who scored better on the test
well why dont we all brag about our SAT scores
ohh ohh i got a 1380 and i was on weed look at me im doubly genious because i killed braincells and still passed better than you

that was sarcasm lol
i thought it was funny

oh and to the person who said "how do you prepare for an IQ test"
um
by Taking IQ tests ....
LOL

you can take a thousand of them
plus you can take the same IQ test over and over
until you get the desired score

but; due to the presence of alot of mathematical type questions on alot of IQ tests; some of which require previously taught mathematical methods

if you didnt get an education in at least basic math principals such as algebra or geometry; you are much less likely to be capable of correctly answering those questions
also; for the word questions like
Red : Blood
as
Blue : ______
a)water
b)tree
c)baseball

these types of questions become rather difficult when they use words none of us have ever heard before *which to get a perfect score would require you to either be very lucky; or actually have an extremely vast knowledge of word definitions*

agian i apoligize for lashing out in a rather inappriot manner ; but as the village idiot; i find it difficult to do otherwise at times

sorry bout all that lol

but still ; at least hear me out on this if you disregaurd everything else i said;
just lets not make anymore of the "IQ" type threads anymore please?
and if you do
could u maybe post it on below top secret; so that i wont ever know it exists *i never go below top secret*
but then agian; since theres not really much of a conspiracy theory here; it probably does actually belong on BTS
just a thought

oh well
you all know how an idiot thinks now dont we

hehehehehhe

just like muzzleflash
mwahhahaha

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
well hey ill make this thread legitimate for ATS here we go

The IQ Conspiracy!!

The gov't uses IQ tests to determine who will make good planners-scientists and who will make good soldiers *cannon fodder*
for the upcoming WW3 or WW4 or whichever one is next....

because they will draft everyone soon and only the high IQ people we be exempt from the draft because we can design new weapons , administer the homefront; and basically keep the nation alive while the NWO sends all the low IQ people to war to die ....

right...
i dont believe in this conspiracy either but
now that ive added a NWO conspiracy to the thread; we can safely assume it is 100% totally appropriot for ATS forums

hehe
now you know how a morons brain works

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hi I guess I vaguely fit into this area so, how do I think?

Emotionally. I am quite detatched emotionally. My emotions are comparmentalised and I do not let them affect my decision making where possible. I am an actor so I use a technique called emotional recall however. This means that I am able to draw from emoitions I have felt in the past to present the image of real emotion. I would say that i definitely do not have a normal emotional state compared to a lot of the people around me who seem to be ruled by their emotions. I prefer to express my emotions in other, more creative and constructive ways since it seems such a shame to let all that energy go to waste.

Socially. I have never been a particularly social person. I would rather sit in a cafe or a bar and watch people from a distance than interact with them since I have found that most people eventually bore or irritate me. I have a smal circle of like minded friends and we are able to see through people together as though they were panes of glass. A lot of the time I dont even find it neccessary to interact with people because I am able to accurately deduce enough about them by observing their behaviour. I do not like large groups of people. I much prefer the company of less than five people.

Idealogically. I have my own perceptions of all that passes and I use this to form what might be termed a situationally appropriate ideaology. I am an oppotunistic person so ideaology, if held too close, is only a hinderance to me.
I have beliefs which I pursue, investigate and develop so rather than reading those of others from a book. My beliefs tend to evolve as I gain more experience and I view people who subscribe to pre-prepared doctrine, ie religion or politics, with some degree of bemused contempt, I know that this is a little un-generous of me so I attempt make myself friendly and approachable to compensate for this despite my limited patience.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   

ok i apoligize for being such a jerk
seriously

but as an idiot; i find it hard in my empty skull to find any way to express my feelings about this than to lash out and try to burst the bubbles

i did not mean that the people were stupid
but rather the attitudes and thought processes involved in this whole thing
and accordingly i called theses attitudes stupid ones
because well; they sorta are in more ways than one

perhaps i am a moron; but i am well aware of this factual piece of evidence; and therefore i use it to my advantage as any self-aware moron would

plus thinking in this frame of mind is very hilarious; producing almost constant laughter ....

i did not mean to hurt anyones feelings; rather i wanted to just rebutt their assertions by switching things around

plus when you pointed out that i said "i do not want to use such silly labels to judge people by" i wasnt referring to my own set of labels lmao

i was just simply referring to the IQ system of labels * numbers usually 60 to 160

that is a numerical system intended to give people a heirarchial view of other people
"oh that guys a 75 hes way below me"
"oh that chicks a 160 we are idiots compared to her"

see this is all irrelevant in reguards to intelligence in reality because i bet the high IQ people make equal as many mistakes as the low IQ ones
the High IQ people are not nessicarily more wealthy than the low IQs;
in fact; i see no real determing factor that an IQ can gauge

other than who scored better on the test
well why dont we all brag about our SAT scores
ohh ohh i got a 1380 and i was on weed look at me im doubly genious because i killed braincells and still passed better than you

that was sarcasm lol
i thought it was funny

oh and to the person who said "how do you prepare for an IQ test"
um
by Taking IQ tests ....
LOL

you can take a thousand of them
plus you can take the same IQ test over and over
until you get the desired score

but; due to the presence of alot of mathematical type questions on alot of IQ tests; some of which require previously taught mathematical methods

if you didnt get an education in at least basic math principals such as algebra or geometry; you are much less likely to be capable of correctly answering those questions
also; for the word questions like
Red : Blood
as
Blue : ______
a)water
b)tree
c)baseball

these types of questions become rather difficult when they use words none of us have ever heard before *which to get a perfect score would require you to either be very lucky; or actually have an extremely vast knowledge of word definitions*

agian i apoligize for lashing out in a rather inappriot manner ; but as the village idiot; i find it difficult to do otherwise at times

sorry bout all that lol

but still ; at least hear me out on this if you disregaurd everything else i said;
just lets not make anymore of the "IQ" type threads anymore please?
and if you do
could u maybe post it on below top secret; so that i wont ever know it exists *i never go below top secret*
but then agian; since theres not really much of a conspiracy theory here; it probably does actually belong on BTS
just a thought

oh well
you all know how an idiot thinks now dont we

hehehehehhe

just like muzzleflash
mwahhahaha

It's okay we all make mistakes

Just learn from them, anyways you probably are more intelligent than you think. So don't call yourself a moron.

-Your friend Liquid

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I was tested within the last year, and I fall at 144. I never think of myself superior in any way, and never have. In fact the opposite is true. I have an inferiority complex, that others comment on often. I tend to grow bored of things, especially people, easily. My mind usually is racing, to the point that I don't really listen to the conversation at hand.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Pattern recognition.

Things that contribute to the overall evaluation of "intelligence:"
memory, mental speed, problem-solving ability, speech skills, math skills, social intuitiveness, education and experience, self-motivation, etc. Some high-IQ people have many or all of these abilities enhanced, some only a few but those few advanced enough to raise IQ scores.

I suspect some people can be more intelligent if they pick up a few simple logical tricks, such as testing evidence or arguments with the "reductio ad absurdem" principle. A useful tool indeed.

There seems to be little correlation of IQ and ability to spell! Check out a MENSA site for proof.

Smart people are indeed nerds. A very smart friend of mine is a business owner, a selling artist, a good father, a former technician who graphed strange attractors in chain-saw resonance dynamometer readings before strange attractors were cool, etc, etc. I was moaning and griping about being thought a nerd because of my interests in science, art, math, reading, and he got mad. "Being a nerd is a badge to be proud of. It's the best thing to be." Yes, he was once a nerd too. I got the message. It's okay to be smart and it's okay to be proud of it. It's a weakness only if you use it to prop up your ego.

I have problem-solving ability but no mental speed to speak of. I have no Bachelors Degree. My memory is unreliable running from great to horrible. I have an unusual amount of social intuitiveness for a nerd. I can work on a problem slowly until I understand it better than anyone, however, it takes me longer. This is totally different from the sort of high-IQ person who can come up with a joke or an amusing turn of phrase instantly, with footnotes and highly intelligent layers of meaning and cross-reference.

One of my favorite things lately to exercise my mind is what I call "seeing what isn't there." That means picking up on something that USED to be there but isn't anymore. As in, "what's missing from this picture?" Kind of like a skill a detective might be good at. This may be appropriate for analyzing or constructing conspiracy theories.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join