It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Strong long term memory, and what Byrd called hypercontextualization (drawing many connections between pieces of information you know) are probably a big part of "genius" especially when it comes to probelm solving. These two abilities relate to the ability to understand how and why things function.

I'm on the low edge of that range; I might be a genius if I've had my coffee. When I learn something, i play with it in all sorts of different scenarios to see what it can do. Hopefully I find out how and why it works. When you know how and why something works, you pretty much have it beat- you're bound to look brilliant in that field.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I'm going to say that a person with an IQ within 140-200 thinks in the same way anyone else does. All thought is based on innate characteristics and learned ones. Some just respond differently based on what they have retained. Some learn the hard way. IQ is a biased test devised to measure certain areas of intelligence, but should not be limited to academic skill sets. There are many forms of intelligence and many constructs that aren't accounted for. The one thing we should all focus on is: we can always learn more. there are always things we don't know, and there are many things we will never know. Our job is to learn and educate others on the facts, in the hope that we may all have a chance to learn the truth regardless of measured intelligence.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
im guessing they dont think, especially the ones in the 200 range.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

I have an official result, guess what, it is 141 exactly. Well, i wasn't really trying. THis may not be much, but i got a 1200 on my sat... In 6th grade. Well, if you want to pick my mind, just send me a u2u. But basically, i try to live like everyone else. I just try to blend in. I try not to let others know how smart i am. Not that i am actually a brainiac or anything. I can be rather foolish at times. I know some people with 160+ IQ. THey are no different than anyone else.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm confused at this question? We don't think any different (I am in-between those figures somewhere) Why would one with a high intellect think differently? Intellect has nothing to do with success, wealth, or stature in life...it actually doesn't mean too much really....those with a high intellect make the same mistakes, and still have emotional quotient effecting their decisions. It's just not anything particularly special. and actually, emotional quotient is more important than IQ.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I never took an I.Q. test but I did graduate from 2 schools with a 4.0. (1 in medical field). That being said though I am uncomfortable with numbers.
I have "Synesthesia" (blending of senses) and more that anything love to be creative. I believe I may have a form of autism in that I can look at some problems come up with the correct answer without working it out.
I did this with dosage calculations in school and the instructor though I was copying answers from someone.
I so much agree with LadyV, E.Q. is the deciding factor. It is very important.

I am intelligent but have quirky things about myself. I hate clutter I can hear it, it's loud and unmatched like playing two songs at once.
I love quiet darkness sometimes because it has so little stimulas.
My brain can relax and not view color, or hear loud sound which for me has a lot of other input into my head such as smells,shapes ect.

I know I sound like a freak but I'm just another kind of normal .

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ohio_Ron
Although I have a tested I.Q. of 142, IMO, I do not think that an I.Q. test is the only gauge of one's intelligence. Honestly, I believe that life's experiences work hand-in-hand with one's academic or spatial(not special:lol
abilities.

Before I continue, I will clue you in, now, that I have not received any certificates of higher learning.

As one moves through the trials of life, they pick up bits and pieces of information along the way. Depending upon how one processes these bits and pieces, IMO, determines how "smart" one is. (Have you ever thought, "Jeez, grandpa/grandma is so smart!")

If I'm not mistaken, the author of this post said, in another thread, that he believes that a person's I.Q. peaks at around 16 yrs. of age. I beg to differ with you, Sir. A person's "Intelligence Quotient" peaks on the day that they die. For every waking moment that you are alive, you are learning something. Some ppl process this slower than others, some faster. All-in-all, you are more intelligent than the day you were born. THAT is why I have a problem with I.Q. tests and "Intelligence Quotients".

I never said your IQ peaks at 16. I stated people tend to think that.
Personally I have a problem with people thinking IQ peaks at 16 yearsold. I think it can either increase or decrease with age, even after 16.

[edit on 113030p://555 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite8
I'm going to say that a person with an IQ within 140-200 thinks in the same way anyone else does. All thought is based on innate characteristics and learned ones. Some just respond differently based on what they have retained. Some learn the hard way. IQ is a biased test devised to measure certain areas of intelligence, but should not be limited to academic skill sets. There are many forms of intelligence and many constructs that aren't accounted for. The one thing we should all focus on is: we can always learn more. there are always things we don't know, and there are many things we will never know. Our job is to learn and educate others on the facts, in the hope that we may all have a chance to learn the truth regardless of measured intelligence.

I'm going to disagree with you on that. If geniuses thought process was the same as the average man then we would all be Einstein’s, Edison’s, Da Vinci’s, Newton’s and so on , we would all be isolating or discovering beneficial things to mankind. Some geniuses are insane. Their thought processes are not the same as the average man. Geniuses have thought processes that may be foreign to the average man.
They see life in a different way than how the common man sees it. I could go on and on, but I rather not, because I get bored easily. Anyways that is my humble opinion.

I agree with the ladyV about E.Q being significant.
You could be intellectually a genius, and emotionally retarded.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think the whole hypercotextilize thing is one thing, I do, I also have an unusally high appitate for both reading and socializing. Like how I got my name for the site. See "Is God Real?" and the thread about how crazy I think BSB is. I also think, it's because I'm naturaly good at bluffing when I want to. I don't usually do it b/c of moral reasons. That I could totally see the General in charge of the Oil for Food Programs BS 50 miles away. I also think the fact I like to see things in both detail and the BIG PICTURE!

But enlightment is what you make of it. Eveyone gets their's differently. But besides the IQ test system is inaccurate in the states anyway.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DanD9
Sometimes, I wish I werent smart, and would be less bored in school

Amen to that one. I was tested with a pretty high IQ myself and found that combatting the boredom was the hardest thing for me.

As to how I think, I dunno, same as everyone else, I reckon. My mind just sees patterns that other people miss and I am quicker at putting thoughts together. They aren't necessarily any better than someone with a lower IQ and most people can come to the same conclusions, it just takes a bit longer.

That's an odd question that I have never really even thought about. Good one!

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
When I was a child I was repeatedly tested for my I.Q, photographic memory, and other abilities, which eventually allowed me to skip two grades, and doomed me to a life of "gifted" education. BTW just in case it matters last time I tested (12 years ago) it was 180 .

I don't think there is that much of a difference as many here have already pointed out. Perhaps the ability to make assesments quicker, and other insignifigant things are there, I have'nt done the research though to definitively state one way or another.

What I find particularly interesting is what I notice to be two seperate ""classes" if you will, between intellectuals. At the risk of being too general let me attempt to clarify myself.

On the one hand I notice the "introverted intellectual" (soft spoken, scientist type, ie. Einstein) and on the other hand the "extroverted intellectual" (outgoing, artist, or creative type, ie. Sartre)

Now of course we have people of "normal" intelligence that can display many combinations of these various personal attributes that go along with introverted and extroverted behavioural patterns. What I find interesting amongst "intellectuals" though is the rigid distinction, or complete polarity between the two.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I have NEVER known an extroverted scientist , and conversely I have never known an introverted artist.

Admittadely I am completely un-aware of any studies that might shed light or give some information on this subject, but if anyone else is, I would greatly appreciate the links to more info.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I test in the 147-158 range on most tests, so i guess it qualifies me to answer.

I dont know how i think differently from most people, the only thing i know is i tend to look at things in an analytical manner. Like when i see something new, my first thought is "How does that work?" or "Whats the concept behind that?", and i have no problem understanding advanced concepts on the first go.

The only thing that i guess would be typical about my thought processes is that i have a very hard time explaining myself, especially in speach, but in text too. Whenever i think about something i get a ton of thoughts all running through my head at once, and i have to try and sort through them to get them out or down on paper/the screen, which often leads to me leaving things out or not being fully understood. It can be very frustrating, especially if im trying to explain something technical or theoretical, and it will sound like i dont really know what im talking about because im jumping around from point to point as i sort them out in my head and try to express them in words.

I would not call myself a genius though as i havent really done anything to earn that title. I also dont really hold IQ in high regard, unlike some people who have high IQs.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure what my IQ is, however,I am who I am, and nothing more; nothing that I know of, though I've had others tell me I was more than I myself thought, but let's not get into that.

I would like to consider myself analytical, objective and somewhat a man with eccentric dispositions; i've been known to daydream half my life away than actualy make those dreams a reality. I love wondering into my mind and escaping the harsh realities we face, so, in essence, i'm the same as everyone.

Deep

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I would also like for you to check out this thread and answer its question as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

-Liquid

link   
What I've noticed is the speed of thought. You seem to arrive at a conclusion faster than maybe others do. Sometimes it's difficult having to wait for others to (tediously) finish a thought or statement, when you have already come up with a new response - before they are even done with their original thought. Also, sometimes you just 'know' the answer, for example, to a math problem without having to go through the manual steps of computation.

link   
Geniuses think in mathematical precision in the natural world. In the supernatural world, we experience life in an unexplainable way where mathematics is irrelevant or minimal. The trend in a person's biology to the supernatural world makes any person a genius at any given time where each person is equated over time.

IQ tests are subjective because they are made by humans. God has a different perception of our intelligence and so should we.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So far, good replies

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Each person living and deceased is a genius. Life is a perfect equilibrium.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think? How do you geniuses feel emotionally, socially, and what are your ideologies in life?
I would like to hear from posters who have official test results, and other forms of IQ test.

My offical test result is IQ 134. But with my advanced mental capabilities (that cannot be measured by "IQ") I can see you having great fun behind your computer nibbling my Firewall.

How about this? Maybe my IQ is far beyond 200. You have a snapshot of my Desktop. Do you like it?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
I have an official result, guess what, it is 141 exactly. Well, i wasn't really trying. THis may not be much, but i got a 1200 on my sat... In 6th grade. Well, if you want to pick my mind, just send me a u2u. But basically, i try to live like everyone else. I just try to blend in. I try not to let others know how smart i am. Not that i am actually a brainiac or anything. I can be rather foolish at times. I know some people with 160+ IQ. THey are no different than anyone else.

The SAT is one of my favorite tests, because you don't have to think. It's a glorified memory evaluation. Back in senior year everyone hated me because I never studied, never did homework, nearly had to repeat several classes, and got the highest score in the school at 1330.
The same thing goes for pretty much all standardized testing. I took High Honors on the Golden State Exams for Spanish, and I don't really speak the language at all.
I did the same on GSEs for Biology- and was the only student in the school to do so- and I nearly failed that class.

In my humble opinion, a really outstanding test of intelligence
1. Is not multiple choice.
2. covers a broad range of abilities, including physical coordination and "people skills".
3. Just like other tests, generates nothing but a useless number for the recipient to either feel good or bad about, and probably isn't worth administering unless knowing a persons score is important for some sort of evaluation, comparison, survey, or whatever.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join