It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

Heh. I flat out refuse to join Mensa. I know that is not what you're talking about, but I thought I'd use your post as a segue into my Mensa rant.

Consider this: how stupid is it to *pay a yearly fee* to get a "smart card" that ultimately does nothing for you? Anyone else out there with no love for Mensa? No one has ever been able to convince me that it is anything more than a waste of money and an ego trip.

/tn.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
IQ is a flawed concept if its not strictly mathematical and logical skills that are being measured.

[edit on 28-12-2007 by tangent45]

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Imagination and emotion are far more important than some number that was originally intended to identify those whose developmental disabilities made learning difficult and to assess how they might be helped. A better measure of success doesn't exist because the exploits of intelligence are to varied, imagination to vast...At least too much complexity to boil it down to a single figure, and even then has anyone read the Bell Curve or Mismeasure of Man, there's far more to this one item of data than people think and it does not mean what they think it means. You can't hammer a round peg into a square hole unless the round peg is small than the square hole you don't care about the damage you cause.

posted on Dec, 29 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by teleonaut
I took some online tests that indicated that I was somewhere in the 190-195 range. I believe that is an inflated number

Well, firstly, I really don't see how someone who had an IQ that high could function very well. You'd be so intelligent that you'd be kind of "dumb," really.

Secondly, considering that the average IQ of the world populace is only 85-90, you would be a rarity indeed. All of this is a moot point though because you admitted that it was an online IQ test, so....

[edit on 29-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 31 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I can't stand this "high on the intellectual horse"-thingy! It's disgusting! Don't try to patronize me as one of my "friends" tried, telling me that I was stupider because I don't have the same small, short minded sufferance as him towards peoples with less cognitive facilities.

He even tried to insinuate that I didn't have the intellect able to calculate math EVEN when I told him that I have something thats called Dyslexia which also does generate dysgraphia. He didn't care to listen and believe that such also make me highly unconcentrated which also stresses my ass off because I feel not enough.

He believes that, as some of you seems to do, that peoples with less the intellect is right to look down upon without feeling bad about it. I feel the same sometimes that "damn how #ing stiff they are!" but that's when the person is trying to insinuate that I'm wrong about some low primitive thing as how to better load a car with luggage.

Or when a person DON'T listen on my advice, turning it down as unintelligent without a second thought - this goes for ANY person, not only stupid individuals. I don't see my advice as automatical right but something that's to be thought on or even developed to another level before it should be rejected - if it will be that is.

I don't see peoples with an high IQ that see other's as idiots or stiff morons as rather kind peoples, I even see these peoples as morons because they seems to forget something about average intellectual peoples.

Anyhow IQ-test on the net isnt anything... they are too short, not even 5 or 8 hours long. Most IQ-test don't actually test real IQ, atleast what I think - they show more then often what you know/learned and do not tell you all too often your true IQ.

Whatever you might believe I don't mind telling you that I don't care that the respons on this post might be harsh or even hostile. I don't care that you might get angry because I speak exactly what I feel right now; I don't care because some of you seems to believe that you stand on the pillar of preponderance. Thus believing the right to see others in a bad light is legit and that some of you inherit it as a god-given right.

Bah! I would never ever believe myself as superior to another human being because it dosen't help me or anybody else. I don't mind sigh at a person who start to talk about aliens visiting Earth or God is talking to her. But I still don't go so far at stoop down on others because I might have an extra 20,30,40 points of IQ then somebody else.

I start to believe that your all are young peopels, possibly males ( duh! Most be males all of you ) and that you lack sufferance towards other humanbeings.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Oh, what a beautiful and insightful essay you wrote. I very much enjoyed reading your wonderful thoughts. Thank you for posting.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
How do geniuses with IQ's Of 140 - 200 think?

With our brains!!!

Do I win? Do I get the $50,000 grand prize?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

You win the booby prize!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
How do I think? can't answer that one as all I know is what I have in my own head and I don't know what others have in theirs. I know how others react to me if that helps.

At work I'm generally accepted as the resident loon, albeit the one that can answer the most obscure and random questions. I'm the one most likely to bite back at racist, sexist and anything else ist comments. I won't tolerate bullying, greed, envy, and detest small mindedness.

Oh, and I'm also the best practical joker.

Home is easier in that they're all clever and uphold the same moral standards and consideration for others.

Its interesting that most of the high IQers seem to put consideration and care for others high on their list of priorities. Also dislike of liars, and I have to say that I have severed good friendships on the basis that if people lie to others (even little white lies) they will lie to me, and I need to trust those around me.

I'm not in the least surprised at the number of ATS members with higher IQ's. More intelligent people often have a much broader spectrum of interests and actively seek knowledge rather than waiting for it to be spoon fed to them.

Being regarded as eccentric is fine by me. I can't think of anything worse than being "normal".

And as for Mensa, can't imagine why anyone would need membership other than to show off.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
My IQ (according to Mensa) is 142.

How do I think? Like most people I guess, I have a very strong photographic memory and a strong memory in general, I get annoyed easier than most and I get frustrated easy if I have to repeat myself or explain something to someone more than once. I’m good with puzzles or anything to do with “putting all the ideas/pieces together”. I get depressed easy and I take things to seriously, I also can’t make up my mind or commit to things, I have moved country about 11 times because every time I am in one I want to be in the other one.

If I ever meet someone who get’s something to do with Geography wrong then I usually consider them dumb (I shouldn’t, but I do) and usually wont bother with that person again – being in Australia I get this a lot, as most Australians know nothing about anything outside of the country (no offence), I shouldn’t judge on something as stupid as that, but I do – see I again just judged a whole country in that last sentence!

I dropped out of High School because it was boring, so I travelled. Only now (at 23) I have started at University, and only because a University Degree is what is needed in today’s world to be considered “intelligent”. Most people don’t care what your IQ is, they just want you to have a 4 year degree!

Oh and one really annoying thing is I always think I'm right (although I usualy am) lol

Just because someone has a high IQ I don’t think it makes them smarter than everyone, some people are great at only a few things and terrible at other things. I have a high IQ but I think there are still a lot of people smarter than me, and plenty of people dumber than me.

Everyone excels in different things, while one person might be excellent at rocket science, they might be terrible at general knowledge, everyone is different.

I excel in a lot of things, but my spelling and grammar is terrible. I recently handed in a University paper and I got a Distinction (it’s like a “B”), the reason I didn’t get an “A” was because of my grammar, I apparently put capitals on proper-nouns (I don’t even know what a proper-noun is). So having a high IQ doesn’t help with much or mean I’m smart at everything.

So I think people with high IQ’s and low IQ’s think pretty much the same, the only thing different is the way they work out things, or look at things.

Everyone is different in their own special way, regardless of IQ.

Mikey

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

You're in Mensa too!!
Awesome!!

More people should join. It looks great on the resume if nothing else.

Edit: They don't normally tell you your IQ score though. That's up to other testing facilities. Mensa just tells you if you pass or fail the admittance test. If you pass, you're likely a genius.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
There is no difference in the quality of thought between an average IQ or a high IQ. There is, however, a difference in speed and that can lead to more thinking in a shorter amount of time.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Nah I’m not in Mensa (I just did the Mensa testing in Ireland last year), they gave me the IQ of 142 and above the 98% which put me in the top 2% (have to be in the top 2% to get in I think). So was invited to join, but never did – you have to pay a yearly fee, what’s the point?

I only did the test because I kept telling my partner that I was 136 (that’s what I was when I was about 11) and he didn’t believe me, so we went for the test, I got 142 and he only came out with 100 (which is average), so I always rub it in. lol

What I find odd is that most places in the world to be considered “genius” to be 140+, but in my Psychology classes last week we found out that in Australia 130+ is considered genius. (Maybe the testing is easier over here?) I don’t know as I did the Ireland/UK Test, which I have to say was not as hard as I expected.

Mikey

[edit on 2/6/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have a IQ within this range (closer to the 140 though) and I don't believe i think any differently than someone with a low IQ, I personally find I am just able to grasp new information a lot faster than most and also I have a great basic understanding of how things work and are put together, I find I can build things and fix things without instructions, just basically looking at the object and figuring how it works for myself and I go from there while other people are looking for the instructions. I have fixed everything that was broken in my house since i was 8, and doing small jobs before that. The main difference I noticed though is I do not get discouraged by hard tasks, where most people go "that’s too hard" and give up; I have this urge to try. I have noticed a downside to this determination to try to complete harder tasks and find more information though, I find once I know I can do something very well I don’t want to do it anymore, it’s a thirst that can't be quenched.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well...this is an interesting topic to me. I am in that range and am a member of a couple IQ societies including Mensa. I do not really consider myself a genius though and I think a lot of misconception goes with the IQ.

I can only tell you the way I think and how my mind works as I think most with any IQ have different ways of problem solving, just some are quicker than others.

I am a fast thinker and make very quick decisions based on my best judgment. As for tests, I typically will look for the answers that are closest to what I think is right and work backwards....this only works on multiple choice test which for me are very easy to beat.

In most real world situations I believe experience has a lot to do with IQ and decision making, but those that can transpose their decision in a situation they have never before faced based on an outcome of a decision in a prior situation that had similar properties would be at a huge advantage in any situation.

I tend to be able to do this rather easily and can often see an outcome of a situation before it has fully played out. Now the trick is to imagine the ending and work backwards to the point where you can alter the outcome. If that point has passed then you have to resort to another type of thinking which would be how to limit the possibility of the outcome to something you can define.

I am a very good manipulator of people for a short period of time. I can become your best friend very quickly, but when I bore of you we will very rarely ever speak again. I have less true friends that I can really count on and speak to about anything in my life than I have fingers on one hand, but it does not bother me that this is so.

I tend to do very well in social situation that I know nobody and can quickly adapt and become the person these people are looking to meet.

As far as emotions, I am not a very outwardly emotional person, nor am I a really deep thinker. I tend to use my abilities in the here and now and play out the consequences in my head to see if I am willing to accept the outcome. I also tend to enjoy shocking people by statements and feed from reactions. This lets me judge and determine who does and who does not have morals and values and who would be the easiest to get what I want from.

Ok....some of that was a bit sick in a way, but this is how my mind works most of the time.

Now....that all said....I also have a family of my own that I am very passionate about and hold very close to my heart. I do not let anyone disrespect them nor would I ever put them in any harm. My wife and little girl are my world. If anyone has seen my emotions it would be my family, and that is the way I like it. My wife knows me better than my own parents and it keeps me grounded.

So...hope that gives some idea of how a "genius" thinks.....LOL!

Oh....btw.....I am in sales.

[edit on 6/2/08 by Vasa Croe]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I definitely don't fall in that range but have some experience in the area. My younger brother, who is 21 this year falls in that range. They did IQ testing I believe when he was about 9-10 years old. He'd always been very socially inept. Even with myself and his other siblings he was very withdrawn and would prefer to build monumentous lego creations, or play Nintendo. He wasn't exactly shy...just didn't seem to be interested in anyone else, or socializing.

This only got worse when he was found to have a high IQ and my dad pulled him from public school to attend a private school with far less kids in each class, and less overall in the school in general. The few friends he had in public school faded into the background....due to him not being around them everyday and the fact that my dad and his wife made a huge deal about "how unbelievably different and smart their son is!" It made people, and my poor brother, very uncomfortable. He never had any friends in the private school, and his social skills have suffered exponentially over the last 10 years....seems like every year he gets further and further withdrawn and self absorbed. It's very sad...and he never talks about why or how he's feeling so noone can help him

My own middle son is now showing signs of possibly being "gifted", or having a higher IQ than average. Unfortunately, he's also showing the same withdrawing and social ineptitude that his uncle showed at the same age. I think (or hope) his Dad and I are aware of the possible problems he might face, and are trying to not draw attention to the fact that he's "different", and keep gently moving him toward socializing and friendships.

I can't tell you that this is normal, or even the majority, but this is my own experience with it.

Michelle

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I tested in my 30's with a 150. I doubt that I would score that high now.

I was a member of Mensa for a short time...not my cup of tea. I keep my life simple and close to nature. I have five children two of which scored above 140. The youngest tested in at 175, my only highschool drop out..but he makes a good living building liquid cooled computers and a better living than all of us...he loves what he does. Every member of my family is creative, rebellious, anti social and a bunch of conspiracy nuts.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I am a Christian too. I have always been a loner. I see the future.I have an IQ of 140. I have been tested as an adult twice 4 years apart. One of the test was 135 which is still in the entry level of genius I suppose. Funny thing though I cant' spell or use grammar very well at all. My creative ability and my uncanny ability to "see" the future is one of my gifts one of many. I believe mankind is caught in a Genetic/DNA war between beings of Darkness bent on being "gods" and a loving Createor that manifested as a human and died in our place. I am amazed but not totally surprised most of us with super intellect are Christians!
As far as how we think.. well everything is like a chess game. I begin to think of all possibilities when any given subject is mentioned. I like to think I have an excellent "empathy gift". I can get inside your head and I can feel what your feeling. I can tell you what your about to say next about 90% of the time. Anything I have ever attempted to do with any desire I excel in. I become the best at what ever it is I try to do. I am a very gifted person, but I try not to be arrogant. If what I'm writing seems that way it's only because of the question put forth.
I want to give all credit to Jesus the living God manifested as a human to bring to us... truth.. even if most of us kick it aside as if it were nothing. I understand how organized religion looks though. It's a joke in most cases, so I ..."feel ya"!
Any ways back on topic how to describe how one thinks...mmmm. Fascinating line of thought no doubt!I think non stop. I have rapid thoughts sometimes complete ideas form in my mind and I can't even stop them.I often break things down to particle level in my mind.I become curious as to what is happening at the most infinite microcosmic level. I have a gift of knowing how to treat illness with natural means. Usually if someone can simply change what they eat and at the same time alter the way they perceive reality, they can be well if they had been sick. Of course they have to "realize" they are well. Any way it's such a vast subject.I can take this in sooo many directions.
I suppose what stands out the most however. Is the ability to break things down to an extreme. I dissect everything anyone says as to the "real meaning" often it seems similar to psychology, but I feel my ability is more supernatural to be honest.I have visions and prophetic dreams. I have already had a vision of the Antichrist and how mankind is connected to each other through a new version of the net for the mind. I experience in a vision what it was like to be "one mind" with all of mankind. It was a sobering to say the least.
anyhow some of this slightly off topic. How we think... mmm
FAST again rapid thoughts. Variations of answers. Thinking about what you may be after to ask such a thing.All I can compare it to in my own personal case is "Chess" once again. I try and think of all combinations of outcomes for .. well .. everything in my thoughts at that given moment. Like you see here in my post. It kinda jumps around and is sometimes very difficult to place it in some kind of order that makes sense to the average person on the street. Not that I look down on others , I want to make it clear that I don't! And I'm aware there are meaning more people with very high IQ's that are even smarter than myself.I'm not sure of the percentages any more of people with IQ's of 140. I would guess there are a much higher percentage of people that fall into that category these days.I would say that the NET has allot of bearing on this percentage. It's all in what you make of your time. I do mind exercises myself.I recite my alphabet for wards and back wards and even start reciting the first letter then the last and back to the second then to the second to last etc..
There are other mental exercises I do with my mind that I won't go into here but they help my memory and ability to solve problems by seeing the problem forward and backward

[edit on 2-6-2008 by firegoggles]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

Yeah, it costs about $55 bucks per year. The only thing you get out of it is the occasional outing with pretentious bastards who think they're in an elite squad that allows them to look down on others. This isn't everyone mind you, but enough to make it aggravating.

I'm still in it because although I don't like to parade my superhuman intelligence
I do like to have it on my resume. Joining and remaining a member shows 3 things to a potential employer.

1) You're in an elite group of highly intelligent individuals.
2) You have the commitment to join an organization and stay with that organization for a long period of time. (Membership at a country club would do the same thing, but you'd have to change item 1 to 'An elite group of highly wealthy individuals'. And depending on the job, may be more useful.
3) You may be a pretentious sod. This point could also be gained by joining a country club.

It's worked out for me plenty of times. I'm sure that five letter word has gotten me benefits and job offers plenty of times. Headhunters love it.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I have an IQ anywhere from the 150s to the 170s depending on the test and where my mind is at the time (I am absolutely fascinated by the human mind and application of intelligence and how thought processes work which is why I stopped by this thread) I scored a 177 interestingly enough when I was psilocybin mushrooms. I took an IQ test while I was in the peak just to see what the results would be.

I've always been considered bright. I was in the top 1% of the country in terms of academic ability, got a ton of awards, and promptly failed out of every school I attended. I was always kind of a rebellious person and had general problems with authority. I could out-talk teachers by first grade and in second grade my teacher actually had me teach history to the class because I kept correcting her facts. By sixth grade I had become so bored with school that I was just mailing it in. In seventh grade I had completely dropped out of academics mentally because I thought the educational system I was in was laughable and I noticed that school wasn't about learning but about social rank and about filling out paper that your teacher will just glance at and then rubber stamp. I was extremely emotionally rocky until I reach adulthood as well constantly getting in fights and trouble. A lot of it was just to prove to myself that I could beat the surroundings I was in. By the time I hit my teens I had completely shut down to the outside world because I just didn't understand it or care for it. It got to the point where I was totally living in my head and said maybe a sentence or two a day if that.

In high school I started coming out of my shell, I still couldn't care less about school even though I was still getting awards for aceing all the national tests. Interesting note in Washington State they have this test called the WASL which is a national academic thing. And that point I had discovered drugs, and I actually had to be excused for part of the test to go outside and lay on the ground and throw up for awhile due to a poor choice of a concoction of pills I had taken before showing up. I wound up getting all these intense awards and getting top in the country again on the test. I was truly a model for the American Youth and my fellow school-mates.

School wasn't for me and I felt really dissatisfied with the world and my situation so I dropped into drugs for a couple years while wasting my time at a junior college. Now I'm a writer (A 3rd Place ATS Writer!) and a film-maker and an artist.

Speaking on my views on intelligence, the problem I've always had is people always treated me like I was brilliant and special while I grew up in a lousy neighborhood with all my friends struggling with their lives and not the options I had. It's really been hard and occasionally driven me to the bring of insanity trying to live up to what people think of my intelligence. Also it's been really annoying that a lot of people have tried to use me, wanting to pick my brain about this or that (usually trivial pointless stuff).

I've noticed it's extremely difficult for intelligent people to be sociable or at least that's my experiences. I have no concept of small talk or flirting or subtle human nuances, That's why I got so heavy into drugs is I felt that was the only way to turn my mind off during social activities.

It's been really difficult to apply these apparent gifts people tell me I have in real life. Like I said it's a big environment and upbringing thing. I have real difficultly intergrating myself into any kind of classroom environment or upper-class realm because my experiences coming up in a lousy neighborhood in the lower middle class makes me discount the majority of all that.

Without a decent segue way, I don't really have emotions. I live so deep in my head that I don't really feel anymore. I can't tell why this happened, if it's a sympton of getting old, all the drugs I did, or a unconscious decision to reject my them but I don't really have them anymore. I just have my thoughts.

The way my mind works is when I want something or I feel passionate about something or there's something I want to know, my mind will not stop working through it over and over until it feels it has a sufficient answer. I've actually made a lot of illegal things happen because of this. I can't ascribe this my intelligent but I also have a personality where if I want something, I won't stop until I have it.

Oh yeah, I'm an atheist or an agnostic depending on how my day is going.

This was disconnected but hopefully this may have answered a few of your questions.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by CuriousSkeptic]

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join