It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQs of 140 - 200 think?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:34 AM
link   
They also may come on ATS and review their posts noticing how they had written "wondering" in place of "wandering" on an IQ thread and laugh. Regrettably laugh...

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
Even 140 - 150 is quite a substantial difference.

No doubt. I usually score around 140 (+- 5) depending on the test or how I feel that day. My son's is about 150. Big difference. He's a human calculator and can do 3 digit multiplication almost instantly in his head. It's funny because my wife will be somewhere and see a sign to the effect of "30% OFF Sale". She'll read out the amounts on 3 or 4 things and then ask our son what the prices of all items would be with the discount and the 8.25% tax added on at the end. Of course he's always right.

My mind doesn't work at that speed. I'm amazed every time I see this "trick". It's faster to ask him than punch the digits in on a calculator. I think it is partly tied to the IQ score. He could read simple Dr. Suess books in pre-school. That's different. But math has always been his specality. Mathematically I'd say he was a 200. Some of the other areas on the test lowers his score a bit.

Anyone else feel like they are wired so that their IQ is vastly different in one area? I have specific interests but don't feel that I have an advantage in a specific areal like this.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Amazing. A little mathematical prodigy. I'm "well rounded," with a knack for mathetmatics myself. It's crazy to think of the minds that are up in the 190's... Tesla and the like. I also heard of a chinese boy who had an immeasurable IQ. Nature is pretty F* cool.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a connection between high IQ and low EQ. Sometimes it seems that the really smart people dont really care about their fellow man, and they enjoy positions of puppet masters where they can manipulate people for their own good.

It is a strong generalization though. I just find it interesting. I have no idea what the IQ of Gandhi was for example. Or anyone else who worked for peace and understanding.

I think IQ is a bit overrated. Its almost used as measuring the quality of a human being sometimes, totally ignoring all the other parts of what a human is.

I believe a complete human being needs to use equal amount of intelligence and spirituality in creating their reality in order to be happy and fulfilled.

[edit on 2-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ok, a while ago I took like 50 online IQ tests in a week and came with an average of 148 with a standard deviation of approx. 5.
You know what... I think the IQ difference do make people think differently. My theory is that 140+=nerd. Many of my friends claim to have 160+ IQ, which I kind of doubt because they never took a real IQ test or multiple like I did. Nerds react differently in social situations, they tend to ignore the more popular peers either out of jealousy or pride.

I still do not believe that my IQ is 148. Because the the chances are relatively low.

www.geocities.com...
Table 1 - Practical Significance of IQ

IQ Range
Frequency
Cumulative
Frequency
Typical Educability
Employment
Options

Below 30
>1% >1% below 30 Illiterate Unemployable. Institutionalized.

30 to 50
>1%? >1% below 50 1st-Grade to 3rd-Grade Simple, non-critical household chores.

50 to 60
~1%? 1.5% below 60 3rd-Grade to 6th-grade Very simple tasks, close supervision.

60 to 74
3.5%? 5% below 74 6th-Grade to 8th-Grade "Slow, simple, supervised."

74 to 89
20% 25% below 89 8th-Grade to 12th-Grade Assembler, food service, nurse's aide

89 to 100
25% 50% below 100 8th-Grade to 1-2 years of College. Clerk, teller, Walmart

100 to 111
50% 1 in 2 above 100 12th-Grade to College Degree Police officer, machinist, sales

111 to 120
15% 1 in 4 above 111 College to Master's Level Manager, teacher, accountant

120 to 125
5% 11 in 10above 120 College to Non-Technical Ph. D.'s. Manager, professor, accountant

125 to 132
3% 1 in 20 above 125 Any Ph. D. at 3rd-Tier Schools Attorney, editor, executive.

132 to 137
1% 1 in 50 above 132 No limitations. Eminent professor, editor

137 to 150
0.9% 1 in 100 above 137 No limitations. Leading math, physics professor

150 to 160
0.1% 1 in 1,100 above 150 No limitations Lincoln, Copernicus, Jefferson

160 to 174
0.01% 1 in 11,000 above 160 No limitations Descartes, Einstein, Spinoza

174 to 200
0.0099% 1 in 1,000,000
above 174 No limitations Shakespeare, Goethe, Newton

[edit on 4-11-2007 by die_another_day]

[edit on 4-11-2007 by die_another_day]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have several books on I.Q. testing. It is mostly based on Cause And Effect Analysis. People with high I.Q. can analyse something and pretty much predict the outcome of the result. It has nothing to do with knowing high level mathematics or being able to decipher code. The Cause And Effect Analysis abilities is what able the person to learn these subjects guickly.

You can have a High I.Q. person that can care less about mathematics so they are very bad at it. That doesn't lower the I.Q. level of that person.

A big myth is that peoples intelligence are judged by their spelling, when the reality is that most highly intelligent people struggle with spelling because they really on their analysis abilities and not memory. Spelling has no logic in many cases. It is just memory based.

I scored at 132 and consider myself to be very lame at many subjects, but get me in the business field and I can analyse what you need to do to build a profit. I'm also an expert at scial analysis as many other subjects.

I can't spell or fix my damn car when needed. I hate the type of people that think, "Well if you are so smart, why don't you know this?" They are clueless. It don't work like that.

Now the trick is to use you're analysis skills for good and not obsess over some lame topic that builds into paranoia!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   
You dont need a high IQ to accompish something considerd genius. You need only understand and internalize new concepts.

I think people with low abilities to understand concepts score low on their IQ tests, and not they score low and are dumb therefore they dont understand things. And easily understanding complex theories, concepts ect. does not make you score high on your IQ test but makes you a genius, if you choose to apply that understanding to the right field at the right time, that is

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Out of humility I do not believe in the accuracy of IQ test scoring

The differences I have noticed in thought process is first thinking quicker, second recalling information and where that information came from, and synthesis and symbolism.

It seems that identifying commonality in many bits of information, and then finding the underlying connection is the biggest thing others either chose not to do, or simply don't do. Although most of the synthesis are missing large parts in them, so they are filled in with guesses till you can refine the possibilities.

Also thoughts on the abstract seem to fill more thinking time, what is the meaning of life type things.

As far as social interactions I spend alot of time just listening to people trying to figure out how peoples minds work, then I start talking and people stop listening, o well.

ATS is great though.

Oh in 9th grade I heard a guy named Bloom defined different levels of intellect.
Blooms level of taxonomy, funny enough I remembered it as balloons level of taxonomy, luckily Google helps with small mistakes like that. The original chart my teacher held up had balloons for each level. Probably why I got the hiccup in memory on it. Or it might be because I have not thought of it in 20 years or so.
Here is an example if you are curious
www.edulink.org...
(hehe the page misspells 'learns' as 'lean')
An example of putting together unrelated facts in a funny way is to take the three statements on that page with *.
Should teachers be allowed to hit students who misbehave?*
* using this example, students would need to figure out what roles parents, schools and the state play
* Intelligence

On a side note this came out in 1956 I will have to check to see if this came from the 23 group study on social engineering mentioned in
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Redge777

P.S. A rose is still a rose, until they ask you some silly question on a test on how it relates to fish and a boat. sheeesh

[edit on 5-11-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
It seems that identifying commonality in many bits of information, and then finding the underlying connection is the biggest thing others either chose not to do, or simply don't do. Although most of the synthesis are missing large parts in them, so they are filled in with guesses till you can refine the possibilities.

I agree, and I think this is how the minds of most people who look into the conspiracy theories work. We like puzzles, and we get frustrated when people dont see the full picture that is so obvious to us.

Someone described it as a Matrix way of thinking. To take in information from a lot of different sources, shake it, and see what comes out as a conclusion.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

The discipline comes from realizing when you are cherry picking to form an idea you want to find, and actually connecting real dots.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I could try to explain it, but I don't think you would really understand it.

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
We think alot like normal people but tend to be extremely logical and think more outside the box.

It is true that we may have troubles socially but this is due to the fact that people with lesser IQs dont think as we do, so its more difficult to relate to each other as our explanations and humor may be lost on the average IQers.

Personally I think IQ can be gained thoughout life. I beleive a person could be trained to be a higher IQ.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I scored a 182. I think its bunk, but that was my score nonetheless.

I am no smarter than most in my circle- that is if you are to gage my "success" with other of equal or greater value. I fared much better at spacial and physic testing rather than the mathematical- yet excelled in problem solving!

What does this mean?

...My answer: not much...we are screwed!

btw, instincts provided all of my answers. Education is over in this country!

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
We think alot like normal people but tend to be extremely logical and think more outside the box.

It is true that we may have troubles socially but this is due to the fact that people with lesser IQs dont think as we do, so its more difficult to relate to each other as our explanations and humor may be lost on the average IQers.

Personally I think IQ can be gained thoughout life. I beleive a person could be trained to be a higher IQ.

But trained by who?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I think about girls.... alot.

And beer, and pizza, and pot...holders....made of hemp.

And girls.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Navy tested me 142 I was 20 last year. I am pretty normal...I think... besides getting banned from here too often..(its only a matter of time)

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000
I scored a 182. I think its bunk, but that was my score nonetheless.

I am no smarter than most in my circle- that is if you are to gage

how is it that someone with a 182??? IQ cannot even spell "gauge"???
I call hoax..debunked.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnisirtraehkrad
Navy tested me 142 I was 20 last year. I am pretty normal...I think... besides getting banned from here too often..(its only a matter of time)

I think you should get a new private test, since Im pretty sure the navy tests are designed to boost your confidence.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnisirtraehkrad
how is it that someone with a 182??? IQ cannot even spell "gauge"???
I call hoax..debunked.

IQ has nothing to do with the ability to spell correctly. Its the ability to see patterns and solve complex problems.

Stephen Hawking cant talk correctly or even walk, but he is still a genius.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

are you saying to you he doesnt look intelligent?. what a terrible thing to say! i think he looks very intelligent.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join