It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leftist Cities Giving Up on Homeless Support

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: Madviking

People here forget that the "homeless" are a big money maker in some areas. I just saw an article about an audit of the costs of LA's "homeless measures" costing as much as $837,000 per housing unit.
abc7.com...#

Where's the money going?

Well it's not a "money maker," but a lot of money is being thrown at these issues mainly for political reasons, or even other agendas. The LA initiative is absurd.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: Madviking
mental illness, closing of many mental hospitals

Stoopid how many violent offenders pretend to be mental. Know how to deal with that?

Bear Spray.

Grab 'em. Spray the whole can up their schnoz.

They'll never pretend again. They'll be good boyz.

I mean, there are some hucksters.

But, the data and research demonstrate across virtually every area of the US, a large percentage of the chronically homeless either have drug/alcohol problems or mental illness, and sometimes both.
edit on 16-3-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

i live in upstate NY

most of everyone that doesnt live in NYC wish we could saw off the island from NY and they can be their own state.

even where i live there are SO many homeless people that aren't from the area at all, i swear they are bussing these people in

i saw a group of people at Walmart begging and they all had tans and a southern accent, it gets below freezing and even blow that here on the reg so I'm not sure why anyone would come to NY at this time of year.

thats besides the point.

i used to work at an outreach center for drug users and homeless people and everyone of them i could pick the phone up and have them inside in their own room by the end of the day, the thing is they have to follow the rules, like no smoking or doing drugs and that's about it so they would rather live on the street where they can act crazy and do drugs and have no accountability.

ANY homeless person in New York is there by choice are has some serious mental health issues and cant navigate a very simple system to get them food stamps, housing, rehab, job/school training and all of it for 'free'.

I know 100's of homeless people and if you ask them honestly , 'hey i can get you a room tonight but you cant smoke or do drugs there or bring other people to your room(unless married) 9 out of 10 of them say no tank you.

it blew my mind and after awhile i just got used to it and would ask them a few more times before they left and they always said no, and most places would let you bring your animal as long as you give him checked out by a vet(also free) and is not dangerous.

in my few years of experience tying to help i found 3 major reasons for homelessness

1. Mental Health
2. Drugs
3. severally damaged people, i call them slow suicides as they are killing them self with drugs and the whole life style and they know it but get no help and know where they are heading.

i have been to more funerals than i can even remember at this point, unless i knew the person very very very well i don't go anymore as it really started messing with me going to at least 1 a week, and these are mid 30's and below as far as age goes.

there is a solution to this but i haven't seen one and don't know of one that works, i would say get the peoples medical situation figured out, and they will than want the housing and training to get back to a 'normal' life, but the trick is the transition periods because a lot of people fall in the cracks of the system.

seen it 1000's of times.

homelessness is like the visible sickness of man kind, there should not be ONE person LIVING on any street anywhere in America.

we have the money and the resources but no one cares about homeless junkies or the mentally ill man asking for change, most ignore them or maybe give them a 1$ and feel good about it as they drive off.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1v2
Imagine if the US government quit giving all the money to foreign countries and instead used that money to improve the lives of those here who need it.

It wouldn't change a damn thing. I was in Jacksonville Florida in the 80's. There was a big deal about the number of homeless there. A group was formed and got funding and assistance. They had room for 300 people. They would provide housing, a permanent place, not a shelter, clothing, food, transportation and a job for them. I'm not talking minimum wage jobs, but good solid jobs, with training. All expenses would be covered for six months after that time they were expected to be on their own. Four people signed up.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499

originally posted by: AutomateThis1v2
Imagine if the US government quit giving all the money to foreign countries and instead used that money to improve the lives of those here who need it.

It wouldn't change a damn thing. I was in Jacksonville Florida in the 80's. There was a big deal about the number of homeless there. A group was formed and got funding and assistance. They had room for 300 people. They would provide housing, a permanent place, not a shelter, clothing, food, transportation and a job for them. I'm not talking minimum wage jobs, but good solid jobs, with training. All expenses would be covered for six months after that time they were expected to be on their own. Four people signed up.

This is a societal problem.

Many Americans grew up in homes where parents worked hard to secure a world for them, that exceeded anything they could ever hope for themselves.

They sacrificed, toiled and saved, to make better lives for their children. They succeeded, and passed that on to their children.

Hard work, saving, sacrifice, to obtain those things that you dreamed of, and desired. We achieved those things but resented what we had to give up. So we vowed our children would not have to toil or sacrifice for what they wanted

We gave our children all the things we wanted. We thought that by providing them with things we "thought" they would want, before they even asked for them, in some cases, that we would show them they were loved, and they would have the perfect lives, we thought we missed out on.

Fast forward to a society of children that have been taught that they are entitled to all the luxuries of the world, and they don't even have to think about it.

They didn't ask to be born, and it is the responsibility of their parents to keep them supplied with whatever the society thinks they are suppose to want, what the society thinks is cool, and it is their parents responsibility to provide them.

They have been taught this all their lives. To expect them to want to work, or place value in anything that is just a token of society's profit generated, internet viral, most have, object of the month, is not written in the script.

Cool mom and dad, are failing them when they stop supplying then with their offerings. And they hanging them out to dry, if they cut them off and expect them to survive on their own.

Too many children will not be able to make it, and will be lambs to the slaughter. I see the results of this way, way, too often.

We did this.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join