It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colston 4 Found Not Guilty of Criminal Damage in UK Over Statue Toppling

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Did you see the knobhead 'taking the knee' outside the courthouse?

He should be doing 6 months in The Scrubs sharing a shower with my mate Winston from Wandsworth!

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

originally posted by: shooterbrody
So public property?

No. Council property. Try burning down County Hall and see how far that argument gets you....

Thanks for the clarity.
Here our city halls are public property.

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Statues are erected by people who sincerely believe this person is deserving of being remembered. Nothing about any statues say "worship this". They are erected at great cost so that they may be remembered for posterity. Posterity is you and I, our parents, our children and every generation to come. No generation has the right or wisdom to decide what belongs to posterity; we can add to it but not remove any of it.

Removing statues is removing history. People will no longer know Colston was involved in the slave trade or that this was still a common practice around the world at the time. History is a study of those very times. By comparing life back then with today we can where we have progressed and where we may have lost ground. Ignorance of history is writing a free ticket for politicians and movers and shakers to remake society any way they want because the people have nothing to compare it to.

Were it up to me nobody would graduate high school without reading Solzhenitsyn's Gulag Archipelago along with a few smaller but critical books
edit on 6-1-2022 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2022 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT
I think we're rubbing off on our grouchy old uncle carpy. When it comes to the carp in me pond, Uncle, ugly & boney is subjective as long as they keep growing and boy do they.

So good on ya'! I expect to be yelled at to get off your lawn but here's a tip o' the mug to you, sir, and a drop of me britches --along with ya--to them "woke" lads.

Why would I yell at you? You are one of the good guys on here. Not too sure about you dropping your britches, mind.....

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Did you see the knobhead 'taking the knee' outside the courthouse?

He should be doing 6 months in The Scrubs sharing a shower with my mate Winston from Wandsworth!

Yes I did. Had to turn it off at that point.

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:04 PM
link   

So public property?

No. Council property. Try burning down County Hall and see how far that argument gets you....

Thanks for the clarity.

Can you burn them down with impunity, then?

😉🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   

So public property?

Thanks for the clarity.

😉🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I think it depends on whether you're wearing a red cap or an antifa shirt.
Blind justice and all that......

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:08 PM
link   

He should have got 6 months for that alone.
Another 6 months for dressing like a complete twat and a further 6 months for criminal damage.

They should then have sent him up here to Frankland....I've heard they like entertaining and re-educating those types in there.🤣🤣

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa

So public property?

Thanks for the clarity.

😉🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

I think it depends on whether you're wearing a red cap or an antifa shirt.
Blind justice and all that......

Fair enough. Oi gave you a star, me lubbers.

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

He should have got 6 months for that alone.
Another 6 months for dressing like a complete twat and a further 6 months for criminal damage.

They should then have sent him up here to Frankland....I've heard they like entertaining and re-educating those types in there.🤣🤣

Harsh, but fair.

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
From the article:

TextMr Willoughby denied they were trying to edit history, but said others were "whitewashing history" by calling Colston a "virtuous man".

How is that different than editing history by considering George Floyd someone to be honored?
Funny thing about hypocrites, they seem incapable of recognizing that they are the very people they fight against. They continue to paint themselves into a corner, with nary a clue of what they're doing.

Isn't it the same kind of people who consider george floyd a hero that are against white people? How can they be hypocrites, they are all on the same side? Sorry, maybe I misread your post but I see consistency in their idiocy not hypocrisy.
GF was a criminal, who threatened pregnant women with guns to their bellies and ate drugs so he wouldn't be caught, then he died/got killed. That doesn't make him a hero, that makes him at best a bad guy who got murdered.

I don't want a statue of someone like that, had he lived I would want him in jail. Give me a statue of a black man or woman that did good, like MLK for example. He was a hero.

It's the victim mentality that is so unappealing and the illogical craze/obsession about skin tone. The excuse is always the skin tone, never the behaviour.
Statue toppled...we thought this guy was against skin colour...ok, you are excused.
Criminal becoming a murder victim...he's a hero because he was brown.

That's not how life works.

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 03:29 PM
link   

So public property?

Thanks for the clarity.

😉🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

In oregon, washington and minnesota appearantly.

Monuments in other cities here are fair game as well.

Sadly

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   

RIGHT, were to begin, first of all destroying history never helped ANYONE but this has turned out for the best with the statue and the story of the man whom it represents now in a museum were both his place in history and what he did as well as both any good and any bad can be explained to the public instead of serving as perch and outdoor toilette for bored pigeons.

Secondly these protestors were only doing what Angry working class once wanted to do generations before, he represented everything they hated as well and the man was a bigot like many of his class and generation likely also an under paying slave driver to his employees as well as his captives, indeed I should not be surprised to find he was involved in the workhouses.

Thirdly who gives a toss, the man was a blight on our history.

But letting them off without some community service was a bit light in my opinion, I don't give a toss about the ruddy statue of a bigot but I do about there act of vandalism and public disorder, they were NOT assaulting people though so a custodial sentence would have been too harsh however getting them to clean graffiti from underpass and street corners would have done marvels and sent a message that even if the silent majority wondered what the hell we were doing with a statue of a slave owner in one of our squares in this day and age in the first place that society was not going to tolerate this kind of disorderly conduct let alone an act of vandalism (however justified it may or may not have been), not to mention stealing some poor regular drinkers and his pet bull dog's favourite pissing post.

Now if it had been our Vicky I would agree with the outrage about destroying this blood eyesore but sorry I just don't but I do see the irony in destroying history hiding the very thing they are trying to point out, it was a moronic act that only by a stroke of public good will has ended up were it belongs were it's TRUE tale can be told, hope they washed the dog piss off first though. I mean even the bizzy's whom stood there like lemmings did not give a toss about the ruddy eyesore.

So to sum up my views, this was the wrong verdict but I favour a slap on the wrist and some public service for these twerp's.

AND the guy whose statue they toppled should never have been commemorated in the first place but you know Tyrant's, rulers and politicians.

And lastly, who gives a damn, if not them likely some Gypo's (or eastern Europeans) would have nicked it one dark night for the scrap metal value, it was not our Vicky or Benjamin Disraeli or anyone else important or loved as far as I am concerned so let the ould git stand were he does now with his dirty linen on show for the public to actually learn whom the anonymous statue actually was.

edit on 6-1-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2022 @ 10:54 PM
link   
ROMANS

They LOVED a bit of slavery.

Let’s cancel and destroy everything to do with Romans, let’s tear up all the roads ffs.

SMH World’s a joke

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Spam
edit on 1/7/2022 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Does this create legal precedent?

Is this now 'open season' for, lets say, a far right group to pull down a Nelson Mandela statue?

Is it a legal defence to say "well they did it and it didn't break the law"?

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: subfab

It's happening all over the world, or at least the woketard world.

Surfin the idjet box looking at msms's news and saw this.

Alvin Bragg released a memo on his third day in office, ordering prosecutors not to seek prison sentences for a slew of crimes and to downgrade charges – including for robberies and commercial burglaries.

Bragg’s memo stresses that his office would only seek jail time for homicides, a class B violent felony in which a deadly weapon causes "serious physical injury," domestic violence felonies, certain serious sex offenses, public corruption and major economic crimes. He also vows to cap sentences at 20 years even for murder convictions.

Former prosecutors call Manhattan DA's soft on crime policies 'definition of insanity'

But I bet if you fight back the Mother F&@#ing woke bastards will charge your ass and put you under the jail house and not even pump sunshine down to ya.

If they keep it up fairly soon Cities will become oasis's of lawlessness and all the sane folks will be moving out. which in some places is already happening.
edit on 7-1-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
These 4 admitted criminals are not guilty, but if you dare not wear a paper diaper to the wrong place then it's straight to jail. Even though there's no law broken.

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Loque76
Does this create legal precedent?

Is this now 'open season' for, lets say, a far right group to pull down a Nelson Mandela statue?

Is it a legal defence to say "well they did it and it didn't break the law"?

No. Doesn't work like that. Any similar case would be judged by a jury on it's own merits.

However, it's interesting to read the technicalities that led to the jury's decision in this case:

thesecretbarrister.com... ld-know/

posted on Jan, 7 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The Crown Prosecution service is considering an appeal against the leniency and verdict in this trial.

To remind our US brethren this is NOT something that happened in the US but something that a far - far smaller copycat movement in the UK did over here.

This was NOT a Roman Monument but one to a man whom according to the official history had divested himself (Distanced and cancelled but not from the money that he had had made through it) from his former role as a slave trader.

It was erected in the late 19th century so is not really that old, in his later life he was said to be philanthropic and to have given money to alms houses, church's and school's but in fact HE had been born in the late first half of the 17th century so had been long dead by the time the statue was erected in his honour.

He made his fortune through a slave trading monopoly called the RAC, not to be confused with the motor vehicle roadside breakdown company this was the Royal African Company a slave trading company and later he moved his money into Money Lending.

And he was a Tory - that is a Conservative MP and political party member in the UK during his time.
Here is a more concise account.

www.theguardian.com...

The fact is he was basically a scum bag with royal connections, certainly he gave some of his blood money to help other's but only to give himself a nice reputation but what about the poor souls that had been traded and branded by the RAC, what about there Children.

This is not the same as the tasteless Civil War statues commemorating leaders and generals of the losing side whom once tried to murder the US only to then be enshrined in heroic statue and monument form as hero's in the minds of the still rebellious south BUT a statue erected generation's in fact 174 years after this man's death.

So in short, he was a slave trader, money lender, MP for and member of the Tory Party and later in life tried to buy his way into heaven with some small good work's that came nowhere near to rectifying the terrible wrong he had been a party too.

I am not here to damn or save the man but have to say that the analogy with Rome is an interesting one, a city with statues of murderers, slaver's, false cruel God's and conquerors all made better looking than they most likely were in real life (Except those false Gods of course those statues were as close to real life as they could ever come).

To destroy history however is a fool's errand, we need to preserve it to learn from it albeit moving some to more appropriate locations is fine so long as it is not simply to hide them.

edit on 7-1-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join