It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Important Things You Need When Hunkering Down During SHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So you are hunkering down. Now what? Here are 7 things you need when hunkering down when the SHTF.

We always talk about bugging out when the SHTF. It’s a necessity with certain disasters. But sometimes, it is best to stay where you are.

What happens when there is no need to evacuate where you are?

Going out may be dangerous…. then what?

Today we’ll focus on just that. What things you should focus on first if you need to hunker down.

Shelter
You need to check to make sure your home is secured enough for you to be safe. Things like sliding doors are particularly vulnerable to intruders as is unlocked windows and doors. Make sure your shelter is as safe as it can be.

Also, try to keep items out of the way to keep a clear line of vision around your home, if possible. Secure garages and make sure it will be hard for intruders to break into.

Lastly, keep your prepping supplies in an area where you can get to it easily. If you have your prepping items in an area that could be completely closed off such as a detached garage or a climate controlled storage shed, move them quickly inside if possible.

Food
Preppers are notorious for their food storage because it’s one of the biggest and most important concerns when the SHTF. Of course, we want to feed our families.

But I added this because a lot of preppers like myself forget to rotate my food out so it becomes expired or my wife needs something while cooking dinner and I give it to her out of my stockpile instead of driving to the store when I’m tired. (Come on guys, i know we’ve all probably done it!)

Remember to replenish what you have taken from your food storage, Keep up with expiration dates. Rotate them out. Do an inventory of your food to see what you are lacking.

Water
Storing water is super hard to store because is heavy and you will need so much of it for each family member. Because of this, I lean more towards water purification.

One of my favorite is the Lifestraw from Vestergaard products. They are compact and the ultimate in water purification. Read the fine print however because even though most Lifestraw products remove viruses, some don’t. (Lifestraw Personal & Lifestraw Go do NOT). For prepping purposes, I recommend you use a larger water purification device that meets the standard EPA standard for removal of bacteria, parasites, and viruses.

Medicine
OTC drugs will be few and far between when the SHTF. Buy up a stock of OTC drugs for pains, cold, allergies, and whatever else you think you may need while you can.
Prescription drugs can often be gotten in a 90 supply just by talking to your doctor.

As a reminder, keep all medicines in a safe place where children, teens and persons with questionable judgement cannot get to them.

Protection
Have a way to protect yourself if needed. For some that may mean having a gun or even multiple guns and for others in may mean a knife, or a bow & arrow. Hopefully you have multiple ways to defending yourself.

But just make sure you have at least one way of protecting yourself and your loved ones. If you have guns, make sure you have plenty of ammunition stored. Make sure again to keep these in a safe place away from children!

Light
You need some form of light. It could be an LED or a rechargeable flashlight. It’s important for security such as it’ll help you keep an eye out at night around the perimeters of your shelter.

Entertainment
One of the most overlooked things by preppers. You don’t want to just survive. You want to thrive in a SHTF scenario. The means having a way to unwind, some refreshment.

Play cards. Read a book. Play UNO or Monopoly. Play charades. There are several things you can do to get your mind refreshed and relaxed.

Final Thoughts
Remember to keep any harmful items such as medicines and weapons away from children and in a safe place.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 07:54 PM
link   
All good advice. My biggest fear as a retired combat officer is not my preparation but those who did not prepare which is an enormous amount of people. Really no way to defend against it unless you live somewhere incredibly remote which most do not. Could fend them off for a while but eventually they will return and in greater numbers. Really no way to defend against it unless you form up into another gang to fight them off. And forget about any rule of law. That part breaks down in a matter of days. I witnessed during Katrina. It took about 24 hrs and that was a wrap. All hell broke lose. Thievery, rape, murder.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
All good advice. My biggest fear as a retired combat officer is not my preparation but those who did not prepare which is an enormous amount of people. Really no way to defend against it unless you live somewhere incredibly remote which most do not. Could fend them off for a while but eventually they will return and in greater numbers. Really no way to defend against it unless you form up into another gang to fight them off. And forget about any rule of law. That part breaks down in a matter of days. I witnessed during Katrina. It took about 24 hrs and that was a wrap. All hell broke lose. Thievery, rape, murder.

I’ve thought about this exact scenario. I believe that people from the city will flood the nearby suburbs. Few will venture past that, but it would not be wise. Few might even gang up, but country folk have been sticking together for a long time and we know how to block roads and key entries.

Now if it gets insane and thousands are driven from the city, there is going to be problems.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

I’ve thought about this exact scenario. I believe that people from the city will flood the nearby suburbs. Few will venture past that, but it would not be wise. Few might even gang up, but country folk have been sticking together for a long time and we know how to block roads and key entries.

Now if it gets insane and thousands are driven from the city, there is going to be problems.

It is called the Golden Horde... the people that survive the cities collapsing and then venture further outward to plunder.

The key to surviving that is to live in an area where that isn't actually feasible.

Which is actually the most important part of preparing for a SHTF scenario...

If you don't have that, all the other points in the OP will just be taken from you.

Think ahead.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   

edit on 12/26/21 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 10:51 PM
link   
They don't hit residential areas up front. First it's the stores, mainly big box stores. Once that is depleted they move on to smaller ones. It's hard to make it out to the residential areas because there will be no gas in the city. Eventually though they will make it out and start forming gangs. The process likely takes several months unless the government steps in to restore order. This will give residential areas time to consolidate resources and start planning on how to defend their turf.

They would be able to hold the line for several more months but eventually just too many of them despite many of them dying from starvation and exhaustion it will still be too many. A real militia would then form up of former military to deal with the gangs. These are people that know how to operate tanks, aircraft to take out the gangs for good. Then we can start over with no welfare class all over again. Work, die, or somebody who works supports you. The welfare system would not be returning for a long time.
edit on 26-12-2021 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mizzazz22

# 1 on the list should be multiple ways to access ATS.

Oh, and local emergency radio & stuff, that would be good too.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I think you didn’t touch the subject of electricity good enough. Having power is essential nowadays for food storage, heat, and even family members that need electrical power to survive.

Any type of power source that you could tap into will be critical and must be secured. Envisioning a scenario in which your energy supply must be protected at all cost means the more people you can have on your side the better. Talking to neighbors and have a disaster/shtf plan in place is key. There is strength in numbers and those that can coalesce and work together have a better chance at surviving than others that might go solo.

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 11:27 PM
link   
All fine and good, but one thing (you didn't forget it, but you did glance over it).

Water is HEAVY! Water is one of the hardest commodities to deal with because it is so HEAVY.

Most people have all this cool stuff, but they underestimate how HEAVY, and difficult, water is to deal with. Water is punishingly heavy. Water will wear you out.

The one thing people need more than any other one thing is...WATER! And, water is the single most difficult thing to deal with!

The average human being cannot survive more than a couple days without water. After that they will start making bad decisions and basically start losing their mind. WATER is everything!

Moving, storing and capturing water is infinitely difficult, especially clean water. All these people with all their bug out bags and whatever, forget how difficult water is to deal with.

I've been through some of the best survival schools on Earth, and the first thing you learn, and need to secure, is water. Yes, shelter is important, but water is more important. Everybody overlooks water. All the websites with cool fire tools and all manner of other chopping, slicing and whatever tools...forget water! They really do.

Water is hard. No one wants to talk about water. All those cool/expensive tools are fine, but no one talks about life-sustaining water.

Go to a survival school, and you will quickly learn about how important water is.

Water...to LIVE!

edit on 12/26/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 11:28 PM
link   
companionship
without it one will slowly wilther away into a world of madness
I think living in big cities offer the 100% chance of a life of madness.
If you see how the wealthy live in big cities you'll find out very quickly that without their companionship ( security or others ) they are heading toward a river that has quicksand in it

it's about companionship when you want to survive hard times
competent companionship that is
a man should remain within the natural spirit of " common sense ".
a woman should remain within the graciousness of her soul

people will follow their natural instinct to live ( survive )
those that are too fat to even find toilet paper to wipe their fat ass won't find water to drink and survive

lucky is the fisherman
net your fish
dig the waters for the clams

be careful that the world is full of trickery

I want to survive, that is what one must say to themselves

please look for water resources if you really want to survive
edit on 1200000010312021-12-26T23:31:10-06:00311012pm11 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2021 @ 11:29 PM
link   

See, here is the deal.

We have something called "Continuity Of Government" which superseded Civil Defense decades ago.

Most people seem to envision "Madmax" which believe it or not is the least likely scenario.

If the Government cannot keep control, they will bunker up and centralize assets and allow chaos for 3-18 months (one good winter kill). Once the chaos has subsided, those assets will be utilized to restore order and the government.

Plan on a survival plan to last 18 months at least.

A few things to add:

A 275 gallon tote filled with water is a nice to have in your garage or basement.

A few multi packs of Bic lighters is nice to have.

A couple layers of Christmas wrapping paper or garbage bags blacks out windows quite well.

Never, ever get on the FEMA bus.

Concealment is better than fortification. Nobody is coming for your stuff if nobody thinks anything is there. (If possible)

Hypothetically, anyone trying to take your stuff or force you off your property may be a deadly threat to you and your family regardless of the gang tat, badge, or uniform the people may be wearing.

If you are surprised by someone knocking on your door, you have a very bad security plan.

Night vision is your friend if you can afford it.

Like Food and Ammo, you can never have too much duct tape.

Water purification (already mentioned) is crucial. (sawyer, lifestraw, alexapure pro, big berkey) Buy a couple of these options now.

Again, Never, ever, ever get on the FEMA bus.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bunch

I think you didn’t touch the subject of electricity good enough. Having power is essential nowadays for food storage, heat, and even family members that need electrical power to survive.

Any type of power source that you could tap into will be critical and must be secured. Envisioning a scenario in which your energy supply must be protected at all cost means the more people you can have on your side the better. Talking to neighbors and have a disaster/shtf plan in place is key. There is strength in numbers and those that can coalesce and work together have a better chance at surviving than others that might go solo.

Electricity is non essential. Meat will last a long time in salt or lard or outside in the cold. Firewood is essential or coal...solar power generator. I lived like that for 5 days during a poweroutage last year. The most important thing though is water. If you have snow great. If not screwed at some point. Have to get to a river then sanitize it. Not easy work.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 12:31 AM
link   
You forgot something.
Neighbor Power.

When SHTF any "normal" people will find the essentials they need by banding together. Sharing without going total invert.

If SHTF and you find that you're by yourself then that's not good.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Untill I get a new plot of land in eastern Oklahoma I have my home in southern Oklahoma that I have been getting prepped for just that. Mostly due to long term weather storms and power issues.
Everything you mentioned I have except I only have three months of food for four people.
Arms, entertainment, and a rock solid house I have.
I just need two generators, one premix gas/oil and the other solar. I already have heat and a small water heater.
Great thread man.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 02:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Untill I get a new plot of land in eastern Oklahoma I have my home in southern Oklahoma that I have been getting prepped for just that. Mostly due to long term weather storms and power issues.
Everything you mentioned I have except I only have three months of food for four people.
I just need two generators, one premix gas/oil and the other solar. I already have heat and a small water heater.
Great thread man.

The weather is getting bad
keep seeds
a fishing pole with hooks
eat from the natural world
water is most important
go north for best water
a word of wisdom from the Holy Bible, trust in the Lords words of Wisdom
do not adventure into the darkness of fooliness

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 02:50 AM
link   
A friend of mine...well, an acquaintance because he is a friend to a friend of mine hoards tampons. Yes. Tampons. He has been doing this for over 20 years and I could never begin to guess how many boxes he has - nor could he. I am not exaggerating. I wish I had a picture of it, but he does not have a cell phone with a camera. He is a retired high ranking AF officer and he lives in a cabin in the mountains of Colorado. He believed all those years ago tampons would be worth a ton some day and hard to come by. I used to laugh about it. I even laughed about it while with him when he showed me a supply in his car after he went and bought a bunch.

But after the last toilet paper hysteria.....I am no longer laughing. He knew something was coming well over 20 years ago.

So add #8 to your list: something of value you can trade.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Great thread man.

The weather is getting bad
keep seeds
a fishing pole with hooks
eat from the natural world
water is most important
go north for best water
a word of wisdom from the Holy Bible, trust in the Lords words of Wisdom
do not adventure into the darkness of fooliness

The weather has been benn very I'd here. So I am prepping for a somewhat local failure ATM. If that heads further than my plans are mine. And I hope you have your fellow away American.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

You say this and I assume you never been on a disaster situation. Most people can’t/or their bodies won’t adapt to not have their regular diets. Even worst most that try will suffer from malnutrition and probably die. Witnessing your wife, husband, son, daughter, mom, dad suffering and dying from hunger will nix any survival plan you have in place.

Additionally, the average range temperatures you can keep medicines is between 52 to 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Outside that range most medicines degrade to the point of becoming unusable. People that rely regularly on oxygen, ventilators, feeding tubes, suction devices, wheelchairs, home dialysis or any other medical condition that’s supported by electricity are IMMEDIATELY in peril.

You can come and say: well not everyone can be saved? But that’s all good and well until is someone you know…Someone close to you… then at that point even the best of plans can go to hell become you start making emotional decisions rather than rational/logical.

The idea of coming up with a plan is to have all bases covered. If you are taking electric power and you think you and your family could do without it then I wish you the best of luck but there is plenty of history that tell you are wrong.

edit on 27-12-2021 by Bunch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I think it's safe to say that living in Florida, water is a readily accessible resource. The trick is to clean it up. Particulate filtering in several layers is simple enough, but then you got to make it not stinky and get rid of bacteria/viruses.

Activated carbon and chlorine is essential. A few gallons of chlorine can treat thousands of gallons of water. That part is only necessary for the drinking though. Bath water for example does not necessarily need to be as heavily filtered. Maybe just particulate filtration. As long as you have no open wounds, you don't really need to clorinate the water for a bath unless it was exposed to raw sewage or something.

I mean heck, i hit water after digging about four feet here. An abundance of rain, lakes, rivers, creeks, wells and the sea itself. If one were to setup near the coast, I suppose a high volume distillation system would be a first priority. Not to mention you get salt out of it.

posted on Dec, 27 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaemac

So add #8 to your list: something of value you can trade.

Ummm…something you can trade…or make

Skill sets that would enable trade…

Smithing…forge work…for tools and weaponry…

Distilling…for consumption…for antiseptic…for clean water…for recreation…

Food preservation…dehydration…canning…baking…smoking…

Garden/food plot…heirloom variety vegetable species for marketing/trade…

Labor…trade labor for food or shelter or basic necessities…

Tinker…repairman…

Security…those willing to do what it takes to ensure the protection of the group…

Doctor/surgeon/nurse/veterinarians…preferably one or more also skilled in homeopathy…

Farmers…animal husbandry specialists…

Hunters…

Engineers…

Ideally…a best case scenario…is a group of skilled persons with extensive knowledge in all of the above areas…and cross trained in multiple skill sets…

I’m sure I’ve missed some skill sets that would be invaluable to a group survival scenario…just attempting to illustrate what it might take to survive long term…and some skill sets that enable a barter system…

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join