It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden onset IBS. Is it linked to covid?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: emp89

Take a really good probiotic. Follow the instructions EXACTLY as stated.

I have a couple of servings of kefir daily. Is there a better low-lactose probiotic that you recommend?

Perhaps a prebiotic/probiotic dietary modulation even if only for a short while.

I had not considered a prebiotic. Is there one that you think is a good one?

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: putnam6

Un-officially take an Alka seltzer or Pepto Bismol

I'm already taking high doses of protonix daily. Antacids do nothing for treating the root causes of food intolerances. I am also not having any symptoms that additional antacids or antidiarrheals would treat.

Seriously though upset tummy is considered a symptom of COVID

I mentioned in my OP that gastrointestinal issues are among the recognized symptoms of covid and long covid. I also said that my bout of covid last year did not present with any.

Like it said in my OP, I am specifically interested in knowing if anyone here had a bout of covid without any gastro symptoms and later developed any food intolerances.

I don’t know about IBS and long covid, but I can tell you from personal experience to be careful with protonix. It causes bone weakness- while taking this myself and tried to go wakeboarding. I split my femur in half, wound up with a titanium bar placed. Was going to weekly ortho appointments after being discharged from the hospital; my femur was x-rayed biweekly and no growth was showing at the fracture site (ortho doctor was concerned). I decided to stop to taking the protonix and see what would happen. Within 2 weeks the x-Ray showed bone growth and filling in at the fracture site! I permanently stopped taking that med.

When I went to my Gastrointestinal Doctor and he saw me with my broken femur and asked what happened and I told him he said(I kid you not here) “ you aren’t taking the protonix anymore, are you?” I told him “no”. He said “good”.

Take all of that for what is worth- not giving medical advice to you. Just giving you a heads up and something to research.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Onlyyouknow

Have you found success at treating your acid reflux with something other than a PPI? Preferably something natural? I'm trying to get away from pharmaceuticals.

My dilemma is that stomach acid will flow out through my nose while I sleep if I do not take the protonix. I have to weigh the risks of a PPI against that.

(my acid reflux predates my IBS by decades)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Ive had IBS pretty bad since I had my gallbladder removed

Did they test you for celiac disease? A failing gallbladder may be your first symptom of celiac disease. I also had my gallbladder out, but it was done over 10 years ago, and my doctor believes the distance in time makes it unrelated to my current symptoms. I agree with her. She also had me tested for celiac and I don't seem to have it.

I eat a lot of fermented vegetables. Most are homemade Japanese types that my wife makes, but I also eat sauerkraut. We are having ham, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut as out Christmas dinner.

Thanks for mentioning that aloe, plantain, and marshmallow root are helping you. I am going to give them a try.

As for fasting. I frequently have no appetite and go days without eating anything.

I have to take ginger most mornings when I wake up I feel nauseous myself...

I had one doctor mention celiac but my surgeon who removed my gallbladder said I also had signs of diverticulitis this was 2 1/2 years ago, but it really didn't start hurting till this year. Ive started a food diary because the past couple of weeks it's felt very sharp pain then it goes down to feeling sore for a few days.

Turmeric seems to help a lot also fennel seeds and for me, ginger really helps, I use fresh root, powder, or essential oil every day.

Psyllium helps too but you must really hydrate, I try and use it once a week.

Though I don't consume alcohol as frequently as I used to, Ive found a Guinness helps to have one or two every other day or so

It contains folate, fiber, and ferulic acid Guinness contains more folate, a nutrient we need to make DNA, than any other beer. And it’s high in barley, which makes it one of the beers with the highest levels of fiber (while Bud Light and most other light beers don’t contain any. Thank u, next). High levels of barley also equal high levels of ferulic acid, which is associated with improved immune function. And all that fiber and ferulic acid lead to a couple of other benefits too…

It’s anti-inflammatory Studies have shown the consumption of hops (in beer form) interfere with inflammation causing compounds. Plus, a fiber rich diet can help reduce inflammation.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Have you found success at treating your acid reflux with something other than a PPI? Preferably something natural? I'm trying to get away from pharmaceuticals.

My dilemma is that stomach acid will flow out through my nose while I sleep if I do not take the protonix. I have to weigh the risks of a PPI against that.

(my acid reflux predates my IBS by decades)

I’m afraid I can’t help you too much in this department. My condition is called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome; it is a royal bit$h of a condition. I have had it since being a baby. I was labeled as failureto thrive as a diagnosis in the 70’s .
I could not keep any formula down and would projectile vomit several feet away. My mom found the only thing that I could keep down was goats milk- which was super expensive. At this point I was alive but still not thriving so she took me to a very rare at the time holistic medicine doctor. Who gave her enzymes to put in my baby cereal. I began to gain weight finally and thrive.

My condition has always had exacerbations and remissions; the worst is the one just prior to fracturing my femur. It was the reason for the protonix.

edit on 23-12-2021 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I often have fresh ginger. I also make a tea with it sometimes. Now that it seems that many food sources of fiber are off-limits to me, I may need to consider adding some psyllium.

Guinness was one of the only beers I really liked. I also liked Newcastle and bitter beer. I got a taste for while living in the UK during my twenties. I hesitate to start drinking again, even a little. I developed a serious drinking problem last year after my friend's suicide and was luckily able to quit.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 09:27 PM
link   

That is a serious condition. I'm glad your mother found someone who could help and that you are here with us today.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I often have fresh ginger. I also make a tea with it sometimes. Now that it seems that many food sources of fiber are off-limits to me, I may need to consider adding some psyllium.

Guinness was one of the only beers I really liked. I also liked Newcastle and bitter beer. I got a taste for while living in the UK during my twenties. I hesitate to start drinking again, even a little. I developed a serious drinking problem last year after my friend's suicide and was luckily able to quit.

It's really experimentation, as they say, results may vary. A big believer in ginger, turmeric, and honey green tea. Chronic pain can really wear you down.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Have you heard of something called "golden paste"? An Australian vet came up with it. It's made with turmeric, coconut oil, and fresh black pepper. It's supposed to help with arthritis. I give it to my dogs and they have no arthritic problems despite being seniors. A lot of people eat it, too, and claim it helps them with a variety of illnesses. I'll dig up a link to it if you don't know about it and are interested.

I also use a lot of turmeric when I cook.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

I have become more and more gluten intolerant.
Used to be there was a threshold as to how much gluten I could eat.
However, after the lockdown around here in early 2020, too many sandwiches closed the window on gluten for me.
I get a mild rash on my forearms.

I was told, if I continue to eat gluten, it could resolve to celiac.

About half the people who are gluten intolerant also become casein intolerant. And that is what happened to me. NO more dairy. I can only eat feta cheese that is goat or sheep. Different chemical makeup than cows milk.

I also don't do well with corn. I have found there is some enzyme in corn that is similar to what is in wheat.
And, lately I have been having issues digesting beans, which had not existed before.

FTR, I suspect I had a mild covid in early Spring 2020. It is around this time that my gluten issues intensified.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I too had my gallbladder removed, no issues for v years then after a course of clyndimyacin(sp) I started having symptoms kind yours.

I blame mine in a lack of hereditary (mother given) probiotics. The antibiotics I was prescribed were longer term high dose, however lots of things can scour probiotics.

After a lot of trial and either m error, greasy foods are the worst. No more deep fried food, bacon, French fries etc for me.

Yours may be different, but try to eliminate known high fat content food. It's harder than you think, you sm actually have to check the labels (who knew Ritz crackers are 80% + fat?)

If stray even a little I pay for it for days.

Just another idea tossed in the hat. I hope you get it figured out, it can be miserable.

You may want to have. CT with contrast done to check your pancreas/liver/bile duct. My wife's started to close up a bit years after surgery. They only caught the high enzymes on a fluke yearly blood test. (They were never high when she was in pain). If they have have caught that she'd have had permanent damage.

My heart's with you, best wishes.
--Sky

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Good is relative
I suggest a bit of self edu/exp.
Have you by chance tried a fast(a true fast) nothing I mean absolutely nothing other that water(minimizes potentiality for insulin production(amalayde..aka decomp endochem of saliva..i believe.) Prebiotic/probiotic after fast with serious dietary modulation will work. Pfizer recently acquired a cannabis company specifically for cannabinoid treatment of irritable bowel syndrome and other digestive diseases.

www.forbes.com...

< snip >

Just a playful serious of tangented thoughts typed out here. Reciprocation of the same I highly encourage.

DENY Ignorance/Arrogance/Negligence.

..they progress in that order imo.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Homeostasis ftw.

edit on 24-12-2021 by emp89 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/24/21 by Hefficide because: Content edited for T&C compliance

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 02:04 AM
link   

It still amazes me how many people on this conservative conspiracy forum post about new age home remedies.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Strangely I spent 2020 doing the same, for the same reason.

Also developed food intolerances in 2012 after getting a Tdap/tetanus shot.. any chance you had any tetanus shots in the 2 years prior to the symptoms?

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I'm mostly trying to see if anyone had my same experience so that I can start to build my case for why someone should pay me to research it.

i support your efforts all-the-way

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

It still amazes me how many people on this conservative conspiracy forum post about new age home remedies.

Nail in your coffin of ignorance when you can't distinguish between diet and "new age home remedies" ^^^^^

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Just as a staunch label of "conservative" conspiracy site.
Thank goodness for people as yourself willing to loan a metaphorical crow bar for self nailers if you will..lol

a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 04:31 AM
link   

That is a serious condition. I'm glad your mother found someone who could help and that you are here with us today.

You are sweet. I want you here too.
Let’s figure this out, Some of our foods are triggers: for example jalapeños- I adore them and they go into my mouth hole gloriously. Those jalapeños wreak havoc on my digestive system. I avoid spicy unless my stomach feels like it can take it. I tempt fate and pay sometimes.
edit on 24-12-2021 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Latest research shows very strong correlation between IBS and micro plastics in the gut - and this is brand new research. Sorry, on my phone so can't post the link but Google the 2 for more info. Hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 24 2021 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I've given it some thought, and the thing that sticks out to me the most is that I had a mild case of covid not long before my food intolerances appeared. Pre-existing FD-IBS was found to be an important factor in the deterioration of covid gastrointestinal symptoms in various studies. Approximately 30% of covid patients experienced gastrointestinal problems. I did not have that experience during my covid infection. Many of the those suffering from long covid are also experiencing gastrointestinal problems. I don't have any of the other long covid symptoms. It's just my digestion that's messed up.

I've been holding back to reply to you because I wanted to get it as straight as possible.
So, starting with my 'tin foil hat' on. IF there is any truth to a particulate of the HIV virus being 'spliced' into SARS-CoV-2, then IBS and other digestive issues is something people with HIV get. Known fact, and I have a HIV (prior to C19) client.
Non- tin foil hat. Viruses in general 'settle' in the nervous system. Hence the reason why some folk get 'flare ups' when they are under stress. But also the Vagus Nerve seems to be particularly affected in people who catch C19, along with the other 9 major nerves from the brain stem.
The Vagus Nerve is known as the 'wandering nerve'. It's function is to send signalling to the heart, lungs, digestive system and adrenals. It is known as the wandering nerve because, in layman's terms, when it 'miss-fires' it will send or not send signals to the afore mentioned organs of the body. Inflammation or symptoms arise, but then might move to other symptoms in another organ. This is often overlooked and whatever is going on in the specific organ is addressed rather than looking at the Vagus Nerve.
Yes, look to your diet of course, but also look to your nervous system, specifically your Vagus Nerve. There's lots of info out there about it.
Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join