It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden onset IBS. Is it linked to covid?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 12:57 PM
link   
So, in June of last year, I began to experience food intolerances. This is after more than a half-century of being able to eat just about anything without any problems. I have a strict rule about not diagnosing myself, so I turned to my personal physician for help. My doctor diagnosed IBS after many scans and blood tests revealed nothing. I accept that diagnosis since it accurately explains what I'm going through.

While IBS can strike at any age, it is more common in adolescence or early adulthood. It's twice as frequent in women as it is in males, and I'm a man. It's also less likely to start in persons over the age of 50, which I've exceeded. My doctor and I both think it's a little strange that I have suddenly developed IBS at my age.

I went back to a meat-and-potatoes diet and saw that the symptoms had vanished. I've started experimenting and keeping a food journal. Yesterday, I decided to have baked beans with bacon for lunch. That was a giant mistake. My stomach hurt more than it had ever hurt before in my life. I have a high pain threshold, but it was so awful that I spent much of yesterday doubled over and almost crying like a sissy. Because of the pain, I had a hard time sleeping last night. It's not surprising, given that beans are a high-fodmap food that can exacerbate IBS symptoms. I've eaten a lot of baked beans throughout my life and never had any problems before last year. I'm finding that I can't eat a lot of stuff that I used to be able to eat without any difficulties.

I've given it some thought, and the thing that sticks out to me the most is that I had a mild case of covid not long before my food intolerances appeared. Pre-existing FD-IBS was found to be an important factor in the deterioration of covid gastrointestinal symptoms in various studies. Approximately 30% of covid patients experienced gastrointestinal problems. I did not have that experience during my covid infection. Many of the those suffering from long covid are also experiencing gastrointestinal problems. I don't have any of the other long covid symptoms. It's just my digestion that's messed up.

This discussion isn't intended to evoke sympathy. That's something I receive a lot of at home. I'm more interested in hearing personal accounts from anyone who has developed digestive issues after a bout of covid. I had wanted to place this thread in the health and wellness section. I'm tired of starting new threads in the pandemic forum, but I believe this is the best place to have the conversation.

If my condition was not brought on by covid, the only other anomaly for me was that I spent much of 2020 living as an alcoholic after my best friend's suicide. I had been a teetotaler prior to that. Alcohol has been known to make IBS worse, but it has never been shown to cause it. I forget when I quit drinking alcohol again, but I have not had any for most of this year.

So, has anyone else here developed digestive issues after a mild case of covid that did not present with any gastrointestinal symptoms?

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Officially if you have a symptom any symptom it's from COVID you need to be vaccinated or quarantined for 14 days and tested every 3 days if you want to continue work

Un-officially take an Alka seltzer or Pepto Bismol

Seriously though upset tummy is considered a symptom of COVID

med.stanford.edu...

according to a new Stanford Medicine study.

Researchers found that, in addition to upper respiratory symptoms, a significant number of those sick with the new virus also suffered from loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

edit on 23-12-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Un-officially take an Alka seltzer or Pepto Bismol

I'm already taking high doses of protonix daily. Antacids do nothing for treating the root causes of food intolerances. I am also not having any symptoms that additional antacids or antidiarrheals would treat.

Seriously though upset tummy is considered a symptom of COVID

I mentioned in my OP that gastrointestinal issues are among the recognized symptoms of covid and long covid. I also said that my bout of covid last year did not present with any.

Like it said in my OP, I am specifically interested in knowing if anyone here had a bout of covid without any gastro symptoms and later developed any food intolerances.
edit on 23 12 2021 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I used to have stomach issues and started using organic flour to make our breads and crusts and much of the issues went away. I can occasionally have some regular bread or commercial products, but not much. It got worse around six years ago, I did research and found that they were pre-harvest spraying glyphosate on crops starting after 2012. This correlated with a raise in symptoms similar to IBS in people starting a few years or more after this, except in people who use organic flours.

There is quite a bit of research done on this on the net and it is pretty conclusive that glyphosate residue can do this to people, although they are still not sure which of about three or four possible methods of actions is causing the problem in the body.

It does not effect everyone, if you can't properly metabolize the organophosphate residue left on the grains, then it can cause this. In my case it is genetic, I have found the link in my genetics from an app.

Since 2012 there have been a lot of people going gluten free, which helps since it lowers the residue consumption of the organophosphate, also many have gone to the paleo and mediteranian diet both of which pretty much restrict the troublesome flours.

What problems I had left from the IBS I solved most of with taking a five hundred mg tablet of L-Glutamine in the morning, and also in the evening quite often. My intestine issues got much better after around three weeks, and I can eat more bread now than before, but it needs to have most of the flours organic, I use the Dakota Maid organic white flour, it is made from whole wheat white. They do use a chemical that is organic to decicate the wheat but it does not seem to bother me. I called Dakota Maid and talked to their scientist there that works with the chemistries, under Dakota laws, all of the wheat has to be decicated for safety from a fungus that can grow in grains. So something is used on the organic, but he could only tell me what he knew, that glyphosate is required in the state on their commercial grains of all kind and many states now do that. He did know that traces of roundup were also in the organic grains, probably from spray blowing in the wind to organic fields nearby. But he said the levels were pretty low in the organic grains, they still needed preharvest treatment with something. the scientist I talked to at Dakota Maid asked me if I wanted to talk to a different scientist who dealt with organic dececants who could tell me that part, I said no, I told him I can eat their organic flour and I was not interested in getting paranoid if I knew what was on the organic flour....He chuckled and then said they use the organic flour at home because it is better to be cautious.

Food does not have to taste like crap to be organic, Our bread is actually really good tasting, some of the organic breads they sell at stores taste like crap.

Still with my stomach issues, I cannot eat a lot of foods made with grain, maybe four slices of bread a day max.

Try L-glutamine for that, it worked for me and there are studies that show it works for SOME PEOPLE. I gave some to the women I get eggs from and it helped her quite a bit within two weeks and she added the supplement to her regular daily regiment, she is small, so she only needs the 500 mg once a day. The side effect for me is that I no longer crave anything sweet, in fact, I don't like cookies and cakes much, they actually taste bad now. I also dumped twenty pounds, and my joints feel way better, another side effect I am not complaining about. I was just trying to use it to take care of my gut issues, the joint inflammation went down within three days...boy did I pee, and the stomach issues getting way lessened took about a month of the supplement use. They are cheap, I think I got a hundred twenty in a bottle for about eight bucks after their discount and free shipping, they are the now brand and if they are going to work, you should feel the difference within a month to a month and a half. It is not a fast fix, glutamine is utilized to fuel the gut which includes repair of cells.

After a month of taking the supplement my brother did not notice any difference in his joints, with me, the inflamation went down within two weeks tops, I lost ten pounds without even trying within that time. But my brother does not eat the same as I do, and had no gut issues, so somehow the gut issues and reduction of joint inflammation are related. He eats commercial breads and noodles containing glyphosate, but not much, his starches are from potatoes in the diet. So, maybe that has something to do with it, potatoes were being decicated with glyphosate, but the practice has now been recalled since it was reducing the next years crops and started using a different more natural decicant.
edit on 23-12-2021 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I was hoping that you would chime in. You've become my diet expert. I'll try the L-glutamine.

I had thought some about the chemicals that are in our food. The timing of my symptom onset leads me to suspect it could likely be related to my covid infection. Blood tests and small intestine biopsy have ruled out celiac. Although, I have noticed that foods higher in gluten will cause me some serious issues, but I can tolerate it in low amounts.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 02:09 PM
link   
IBS for the Seniors in the population is likely due to hormones not being produced by the aged organs that process the foods consumed... including the GMO corn and grains, cereals, etc. that a person unconsciously eats daily...

your digestive track is running down from stress fatigue etc.

much study and investigation will be required to link your IBS to COVID or the vaxxine serum being used as a eugenics pathway which makes ones organs suffering from accellerated aging or getting worn-out early ...

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
This thread is hopefully the beginning of professional research into this issue. Hence, why I am asking if anyone else had a bout of covid without any gastro symptoms and later developed food intolerances.

My symptom onset predates my covid vaccination. 

I feel you are likely right and there is a connection between my illness and GMO foods, the chemicals, antibiotics, and hormones, etc. in our food. Although I've been trying to only eat foods that are free from antibiotics, hormones, and pesticides for a long time.

I'm mostly trying to see if anyone had my same experience so that I can start to build my case for why someone should pay me to research it. 

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

I was hoping that you would chime in. You've become my diet expert. I'll try the L-glutamine.

I had thought some about the chemicals that are in our food. The timing of my symptom onset leads me to suspect it is more likely to be related to my covid infection. Blood tests and small intestine biopsy have ruled out celiac. Although, I have noticed that foods higher in gluten will cause me some serious issues, but I can tolerate it in low amounts.

When you raise a loaf of bread, then you put it in a draft free cool area and bake it between eight to twelve hours later, like they used to do at lots of bakeries here back in the sixties and seventies, the enzymes produced by the yeast while rising break down the gluten in the bread. It would be a sour dough bread to some extent, but it does not get sour in eight hours though, that would take a sour dough starter, not a yeast starter.

I am toying with that in my experimenting with breads. When done, the bread naturally gets more tough, the gluten is made into a chewy texture that should not be released during digestion. I have read some articles on this and methods of doing it. They use this in Pizza crust doughs to get a crispy crust, but they also have figured ways to artificially do it too, which is not the same chemically. I still need to do research and testing on myself to be able to evaluate this better and see if it actually makes a difference. I just have had so much other stuff to do and had to wait till winter to put the loaf out into the shed to set because the fridge never has room for the loaf with in cake hauling box...the fridge does have a fan so it has to be enclosed in something. With the pizza crust, a technique used by people who make great pizzas, it can go in balls in the shed after rising in a mouse proof container just in case. It is usually about thirty eight degrees to forty degrees in the shed most of the winter, when it gets below five below, it drops to around thirty degrees, a little too cold. I need to put a small adjustible heat duct in their with a regulator if I want to do that properly.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It indeed sounds like Irritable bowel

Ive had IBS pretty bad since I had my gallbladder removed FWIW my doctor advised me to lay off the gluten, he suspected I had allergies as well and it's definitely not good to eat sans gallbladder.

As for relief I use peppermint oil and ginger oil really helps. The doctor has me take Zyrtec for allergies and aloe, plantain, and marshmallow root help keep it controlled. and of course a probiotic.

My grandmother and mom swear by fermented foods sauerkraut and kimchee should be eaten often

Also, consider a 48 hour fast, rest your bowels

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:01 PM
link   

New covid hospitalizations are rather low for the ones I had been attending. That's left me with plenty of downtime. To entertain myself last week, I analyzed the gluten content of the breads I had been buying to eat. I've found that many softer whole wheat breads have a lot of added gluten. One came in at 220,000 ppm. That's nearly double the average that I found in most white breads. Sourdoughs seem to have the least amount of gluten. That is likely because the bacteria used to make sourdough breaks down much of the gluten. Sourdough seems to be the only bread I can eat that is not advertised as being gluten free. I am thinking about starting to bake my own sourdough bread with the goal of eliminating as much of the gluten as possible.

Pizza is also something that I can no longer have. Not only is it the gluten, but I am also lactose intolerant now. None of this ever gave me any issues until last year.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Ive had IBS pretty bad since I had my gallbladder removed

Did they test you for celiac disease? A failing gallbladder may be your first symptom of celiac disease. I also had my gallbladder out, but it was done over 10 years ago, and my doctor believes the distance in time makes it unrelated to my current symptoms. I agree with her. She also had me tested for celiac and I don't seem to have it.

I eat a lot of fermented vegetables. Most are homemade Japanese types that my wife makes, but I also eat sauerkraut. We are having ham, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut as out Christmas dinner.

Thanks for mentioning that aloe, plantain, and marshmallow root are helping you. I am going to give them a try.

As for fasting. I frequently have no appetite and go days without eating anything.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

'I went back to a meat-and-potatoes diet and saw that the symptoms had vanished. I've started experimenting and keeping a food journal. Yesterday, I decided to have baked beans with bacon for lunch. That was a giant mistake.'

What is a meat and potatoes diet? Is it literally nothing but meat and potatoes?

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

It's not just meat and potatoes. Also, things like carrots or green beans. I just meant that I used to eat mostly meat and potatoes until I started trying to eat healthier. Baked beans and chili with beans were also something that I would eat a lot of back then, but's obvious to me that I cannot have that now.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan

New covid hospitalizations are rather low for the ones I had been attending. That's left me with plenty of downtime. To entertain myself last week, I analyzed the gluten content of the breads I had been buying to eat. I've found that many softer whole wheat breads have a lot of added gluten. One came in at 220,000 ppm. That's nearly double the average that I found in most white breads. Sourdoughs seem to have the least amount of gluten. That is likely because the bacteria used to make sourdough breaks down much of the gluten. Sourdough seems to be the only bread I can eat that is not advertised as being gluten free. I am thinking about starting to bake my own sourdough bread with the goal of eliminating as much of the gluten as possible.

Pizza is also something that I can no longer have. Not only is it the gluten, but I am also lactose intolerant now. None of this ever gave me any issues until last year.

Pizza also has tomatoes, tomatoes do deactivate histaminase which breaks down histamine in the body. They also increase histamine release from the body. Histamine is necessary in our bodies, but too much can cause some bad problems too. Pepperoni contains histamines too, and some of the better tasting cheeses are also high it histamine and various tyramines which utilize the same enzyme to detox. So pizzas can give you extra energy, they also can disrupt sleep if eaten late at night...beneficial if you want extra energy to go to the bar till closing time though. Everything has it's place. Surprisingly, some cheeses have antihistamine properties like parmesian cheese. Histamines and stuff like putramine and cadavarine are considered tyramine chemistry. Too much is not good, but some is necessary. If you have a DAO deficiency it raises risk of problems, but things like avacados are strong deactivators of DAO so histaminase doesn't work and histamine jumps up, you seem to have more energy, but there can be some serious side effects because too much histamine can cause the immune system to improperly respond to pathogens.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Its sick to see what they do on crops, i see it every year, a tractor comes up, sprays the harvest, everything is yellow and ripe in a week or two.

But as for IBS, try to stay away from super processed anything, you can make absolutely mouthwatering meals from paleo stuff, listen to your body, figure out what suits you best. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Food sensitivities and allergies can change at any time, especially in older patients. Its not as unusual as you might think.

The conspiracy side of me has wondered, for some time now, if there isn't something nefarious in this. My thinking was along these lines. Maybe there is something in the vaccine that on its own isn't much of a threat to most people. And maybe there is something in processed/gmo food that on its own isn't much of a threat to most people. Combined, however, they both become hyperactive and cause all kinds of problems.

The reason this particular mode of operation concerned me is that the amount of these harmful additives could be controlled to a great degree. For instance, the most severe of these combinations could be limited to a specific area of distribution, based on whatever the determining factors are for those in charge. Of course there would be some spillover, but collateral damage is nothing new.

The amount of harmful components, their geographical distribution, the period of activity and severity, could easily be controlled if someone was of a mind to do so. If I were tasked with controlling 385 million people, this would be my modus operandi.

post script: I'm glad I am on my side....

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

IBS can be triggered by anything, without we even trying, I developed after having my gallbladder surgery, It hits me for weeks at a time and then it goes away. I have to be careful of what I eat or have to run anywhere I am to the nearest restroom, sometimes It just happen without warning. I do not take anything for it.

I know of a few people that developed stomach problems after covid, but they are on and off or that is what they are saying.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Take a really good probiotic. Follow the instructions EXACTLY as stated.

..and don't forget to place the pill bottle in the refrigerator after breaking the seal. They are living organisms after all. The good some are pricey. Totally worth it. Preferred brand escapses me atm. Will comment once home with manufacturer.

Perhaps a prebiotic/probiotic dietary modulation even if only for a short while.

The human body functions in the following order

1. Gut.
2. Brain.
..and perhaps a third and forth would be heart and lungs.

But thats a slippery slope.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Food sensitivities and allergies can change at any time, especially in older patients. Its not as unusual as you might think.

Aside from having practical knowledge of my own, I have consulted with my primary, a gastroenterologist, an internal medicine specialist, and a surgeon. We are all in agreeance that it is uncommon for someone my age to suddenly develop IBS in the absence of a bacterial, fungal, parasitic or viral infection. All of which has been ruled out, excepting my covid infection.

Maybe there is something in the vaccine that on its own isn't much of a threat to most people

My symptom onset predates my vaccination.

And maybe there is something in processed/gmo food that on its own isn't much of a threat to most people.

Yes, I believe this is often the case. Except for bread and cheese, I have not eaten any processed foods for many years. All of my meals are prepared from scratch. My wife even makes her own pasta, udon and ramen noodles. I try to only eat and drink foods that are not supposed to have any hormones, antibiotics, or pesticides. I avoid GMO foods as best I can. We have always washed all of my fruits and vegetables very well.

The reason this particular mode of operation concerned me is that the amount of these harmful additives could be controlled to a great degree. For instance, the most severe of these combinations could be limited to a specific area of distribution, based on whatever the determining factors are for those in charge. Of course, there would be some spillover, but collateral damage is nothing new.

There has been a lot in the news about contaminated food. Microplastics are even turning up in fish and vegetables. That is going to be what I turn to next if I am able to rule out my covid infection.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

IBS can be triggered by anything, without we even trying, I developed after having my gallbladder surgery, It hits me for weeks at a time and then it goes away. I have to be careful of what I eat or have to run anywhere I am to the nearest restroom, sometimes It just happen without warning. I do not take anything for it.

My gallbladder removal was considered. It was done over 10 years ago. All of the doctors involved in my case believe that it was too long ago to be the cause.

I know of a few people that developed stomach problems after covid, but they are on and off or that is what they are saying.

It was off and on before my IBS diagnosis. After eating a low fodmap diet for some months, it now happens anytime I eat something that I shouldn't. And things that weren't bothering me before starting the low fodmap diet cause symptoms now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join