It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your first car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:14 AM
link   
1970 toyota Corona
No working reverse gear

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

No working reverse gear

That's a bit of a handicap.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Did you count the honks?

When I was there the first time being a kid, I waited for the VESPA driven three wheel cars to do wheelies as I saw in a pizza commercial "Alberto's pizza".

What a let down that was.

edit on 9.12.2021 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
a reply to: DAVID64

1972 Triumph Stag

Beautiful car...lots of mechanical issues.

A mechanic buddy of mine had one of those fitted for the US and it was so small I didn't enjoy the ride.
I did love the sound of the motor. I am sure it was a joy for that part. Give me the bigger muscle cars. I think my fav thing is a big GMC truck but I can't afford that these days. I will have to ride the Honda Toyota Ford used cars with good miles per gallon ratios.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I had a 1964 Chevy Biscayne which was used as the prototype vehicle for Cheech and Chongs Up in Smoke movie.
Primer Gray and faded white, holes in the floorboard, slick tires, twice pipes . . . charp.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Did you count the honks?

Hard to hear over the screaming.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
My first car was a 1971 Opel GT (the poor mans Corvette). It was the 1.9 engine that was the last year it was made in Germany. They started making them in Japan the next year. This car was great, but needed continual maintenance and parts were ridiculous. Most of them had to be imported from Germany. The car was fast and turned the heads of all the girls. Didn't exactly make out in it much though. Only a two seater... Loved the car until an oil seal blew out of the back of the engine on the freeway and lock it up cold. Tried to rebuild it, but it was never right again. Ah, the memories...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
Louder than the hand signs even?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: BendingTheTruth

I've seen a few of these on OPEL fests, they are very very very rare here even in Germany. I see more Manta than GTs, the region I come from had the worlds biggest OPEL fest on a regular basis.

A part from the money for my first car comes from collecting empty bottles and cashing in 8cent per bottle at these fests, as a kid. Good memories although you had to explain the parents at the evening why you smell like beer being a forth grader.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
Louder than the hand signs even?

Only when he was using just one hand.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I got a bunch of vehicles for free when I was younger. I used to love those things; I'd fix them up a little and use them up until they really died. Most of the folks giving them away just wanted to be rid of them, and I'd gladly take them.

Had a lot of fun with some of those vehicles. One of them was a '67 Econoline van, with 3 on the tree. Felt like you were sitting out in front of the front axle driving it (glad I never got in a wreck with it). Going 50mph felt like you were in the Indy 500 the way you sat out front like that (seemed way faster than it was). Thing was all dented up from being out at the Trona mines, and the inside was covered with Trona ash too. Called it the Kamikaze Special. The guys who had driven it previously had put a Detroit locker in the rear differential, and on ice that thing would do a 360 on you before you even knew you were sliding, but it would climb a wall if it could stay on out in the hills.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 08:44 AM
link   

1960 VW Bug I picked up at a grage sale for 100 bucks. Always had to park that sucker on a hill in order to start it. Could never run the lights, radio, and wipers at the same time or the dashboard started to smoke.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:05 AM
link   
67 Chevy Impala . Built 350 .
Then 69 Plymouth Road Runner...
Beep beep , the Dodge Coyote is after you .....

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:07 AM
link   

1989 5.0 Rustang LX

It cost me about $1500 from someone my dad knew. Not sure what it had going on electrically but I could swap an alternator on it in about 10 minutes by the end of its life. Last seen on the side of I-4 between Tampa and Orlando after the engine finally decided to pop on me. Wasn't worth saving really and I didn't have the cash. Shame really as I had a lot of fun in the thing, also shocked that I didn't get pulled over more often.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:17 AM
link   
My first car I bought when I was in the Air Force in 1978.

Loved this beautiful car.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:26 AM
link   

A cherry 89 Acura legend.

A retired couple got it brand new, threw it in a garage, and used it once a week to get groceries.

I was blessed.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:29 AM
link   

1974 Saab 99
I liked it because it looked weird and NOBODY else drove one. Ignition located on the floor between the front seats, flip-forward hood. Painted it black with gold pinstriping. Lots of mechanical issues, finally a leaky fuel line and a cracked distributor cap sent it up in flames.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I was hoping to get a good car when i got my licence.. my father brought me old fiat 128. He said learn first with the old car with a lot of issues and see owning a car is not always a sunshine. I drove year that old Fiat and got my birthday bran new Opel Corsa. I truly learnt the lesson.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

SAAB still makes jet fighters and missiles...

I imagine they made things overly complicated because of their origins... But they were cool cars.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
Even with the maintenance issues, I was still hooked. I took the insurance money and went out and got another one, this time a 1980 Turbo.
That didn't end well either, as during an impromptu race one night I cartwheeled it over an embankment. No major injuries but the car was destroyed. After that my speed racer days were over and I got a Corolla.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join