It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was your first car

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker
Hope the other one didn't let you down yet. Had one in my shop in summero and saw that they too have the problem where the clamps on the front wheel shaft rubber sealing rip open the seals and thought of you. When the driver uses the complete steering angle while doing tight turns often, it was a 2012, 2.0TDI.

I think the part translates to axle boot in English, it should be serviced / checked. That customer waited until the drive shafts including the joints were busted out. The only way that is known is to not use the complete steering angle, like all the way through on low speeds. It's only the last inch or two that can't be used, I tested it with a fluid marker.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Aa reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Just got new tires and the steering is effortless.

She still drives like she's brand new. Only downside is now that it's getting cold the diesel isn't as responsive... But that's just part of the animal.

But at the end of the day it's still great on fuel which is nice with rising prices. Even with the cold I'm averaging 35mpg or 15kpl in the city. Fill up once or twice a month.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Also, on a side note... I'm so jealous that over in Europe you all have the new Audi S line in diesel... We can't get those state side. They look like animals.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:03 AM
link   
My first car was a 1975 Chevy C10. I was 13, and it didnt run. We traded it for a 3 wheeler that did run.

When I was 15 I traded a broken chainsaw for a 1952(?) Buick. It was mostly bondo, painted with housepaint. Dragged it home with dad after he had WAY to many the day we returned from a hunting trip. Sold it for scrap, around $75.

I then got a 1977 Ford 3/4 ton with a 400 and holley 4 barrel. The rear end was a 4:1, and it had a granny gear 4 speed. It could pull a building off its foundations, but just wasn't much for daily use. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so it stayed parked and I bought a junkyard 78 Ford LTD. Painted it in the backyard, and drove it. It ran, but the rear main was bad so it leaked a lot of oil. Then I figure out that the problem with the Ford truck was just a carrier bearing, and got it running.

It was a wheelie popping beast, but ugly as sin. Ranch truck, dented from all the rock collecting done on the prairie. The bed was pulled loose from over loading a horse trailer with bricks and dragging it across the farm. Thats probably what did the carrier bearing in, as it stopped working and he sold it to me after that. So i painted it up charcoal grey. Patch the rust with fiberglass resin, pulled out and smoothed dents. Put in a new interior that I salvaged from a 77 Thunderbird. Used metal blocks to hold the seats up, and welded it to the floor pan. Dad and I did this work together. It was a great memory.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
Isn't this one of the security questions financial institutions use to log in?

Keep giving away that info people, especially on Facebook.

You deserve a universe of stars
Very sharp
Brilliant

First car I ever stole
Datsun 1600, returned it, minus a bit of fuel
edit on 9-12-2021 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I didn't want to "scare" you, it's just something to keep an eye on. Better safe than sorry

Ahh problematic with the DIESEL in Germany currently. Diesel scandal and all that. I agree about the new AUDIs. The way they morphed lines and shapes over the generations is amazing. If you look at the fenders of the new RS6 for example, then compare it with the older RS6 generations.

It blows my mind how wide that car is now. There is almost no fender on the backside visible but it's still wider. That's how lines, curves and little "iron wrinkles" dress the car for the eye.

Compare the red marked parts and I may be better to understand:

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:18 AM
link   
My first was 64 Rambler Ambassador. That old two hundred dollar dove got me through high school. Am radio, no ac, but most importantly the front seats reclined all of the way.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

1080somthing Ford Taurus sho.
Damn thing caught fire in a lot outside my dad's lot

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:31 AM
link   
My dad co-signed a loan so I could buy my first car in 1976, a copper colored Ford Pinto hatch-back. Yeah...the car that exploded when rear-ended...that one. I can't recall the price, it was from a dealership for whom my dad did accounting work. It did not have a spare tire in the back (which might have come in handy in the event of the rear-ending), but somehow I never needed one. Even taking it camping/fishing out on the logging roads of the U.P. of Michigan. I recall getting out of work one snowy night and discovered over a foot of snow had covered everything. I couldn't get that rear-wheel drive car through the snow to the nearest plowed street until I threw it in reverse and busted thru the powder at 30 mph.
Drove that thing over 4 years of college. The copper color hid the amount of rust very well.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain
I hear that on the beer...

It really was a fun car to drive. Quite responsive. One weird thing I had happen though was the battery was located in the nose of the car. The hold down pins rusted and the battery turned over when I hit a bump. Lost electricity immediately and it turned a fairly new battery to SLAG. Lost power while driving on the freeway. That was fun!

They do seem to have more OPEL's overseas. Wish I could get my hands on one in good condition again here in the states...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

The car I had after that truck was a 1979 Mustang indy pace car. Bought it for $500 from a lady that had spent the prior 10 years in a mental ward after a psychotic break had her kill her husband. It was his car, and she wanted it gone. But after sitting 10 years things like hoses get worn from disuse...and a fuel line cracked. Burned so hot it melted the aluminum rims. I cried real tears over that.

Replaced it with a 1985 Ford LTD. A cop in town had an identical one. Very good car, gave me zero issues. But i had a granny's car. Replaced it with a 76 mint green Chevy Malibu that would get like a scalded dog. Had that till I married and my wife made me sell it due to being hideously ugly.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I have accounts at 4 separate financial institutions. None have "what is your first car" as a security question option.

So there is that.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My first was a 1950 Morris Minor. It had little flippers on the side to indicate making a turn, just flip a switch to either side and up they would go. Also had a hole in the front for a crank to be used to start it up if the battery was dead.

It was a convertible with no shotgun seat, so we used a metal folding chair to replace it. It was fun to go out to the cruising strip and the shot gun would open the door and use that chair to sit in the street during red lights and heavy traffic. It could also be removed to utilize the back seat more fully for conugaling.

It had a flat-head four with a carburetor mounted on a spindle. There was one screw that held it on which also acted as a timing screw for adjusting the idle for different temperatures.

It was a four on the floor with a long spindly gear shift

Cost me seventy five bucks.

Before that I had an old Western Auto motorcycle. IT was called a Wizard Automatic cuz there was no shifting, it just did it on it's own.At a time when the other guys in schools were beginning to drive the new Honda 50 and 90s I had this 50cc monster that had a huge frame like an old touring bike.
One afternoon, I had my brother on the back and we were stopped in front of an old Doggie Diner in our home town when two Hell's Angels bikes pulled up on either side and snickered at us. My brother, always the wise guy asked them if they wanted to race.

I bought that one for fifty bucks. When I got my car I gave the Wizard to my brother and he ended up getting his picture in the daily newspaper for riding down the road on the way to school wearing his sousaphone around his shoulders as he drove.
edit on 31America/ChicagoThu, 09 Dec 2021 10:54:05 -0600Thu, 09 Dec 2021 10:54:05 -060021122021-12-09T10:54:05-06:001000000054 by TerryMcGuire because: Edit. Thanks for the thread, I haven't tought about those in years.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 10:50 AM
link   
1968 Buick Wildcat. I think I paid $200 for it, for awhile I lived in it- very comfy, I could lay out on the back seat without feet touching the door. I wish I still had it, it would be super-fun to try parking nowadays.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
1968 Buick Wildcat. I think I paid $200 for it, for awhile I lived in it- very comfy, I could lay out on the back seat without feet touching the door. I wish I still had it, it would be super-fun to try parking nowadays.

Did it have the 455 engine. A high school friend had one, you could practically see the gas gauge needle dropping when you pushed it hard.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You know what is really weird about ATS..

We probably know more intimate details about each other than people in our real lives.

Isn’t that something?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BendingTheTruth

Aspirated is always nice responsive to drive, recently I came to enjoy aspirated a bit more. Normally I am for charging the thing up until the head bolts begin to stretch but for a nice clean round, aspirated is the tool.

Condition wise OPEL can be sketchy. They had problems with tinning processes and rust in the 80s and 90s until they found the reason why some charges would be bad, but would only be visible later in car lifetime.

That brought them the nickname "flying rust".

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
1989 Nissan skyline gtst.

I bought it for 5k in 2010. I sold it for 12k in 2013.
Thing was a money pit, but it sure did get a lot of attention. And I can tear apart and rebuild that entire engine from top to bottom by time I sold it.

When I look back its kind of ridiculous how cheap jdm cars were when they first flooded into Canada.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:08 AM
link   
With the Great Reset and the Green New Deal pretty soon the question will be:

What is the last car you will ever own.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 11:14 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join