It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

45th Parallel North ( TTS 2022)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:57 AM
link   

My hometown is the setting of a Hallmark Christmas movie. Literally. Hollywood has descended on our main street 3 times over, causing a local ruckus and even more general disdain for outsiders than normal.

I'll be the first to admit our town is very picturesque. The main street begins with a beautiful silver bridge over a waterfall that is decorated with lights year round. Each store, cafe, and boutique has been carefully restored so the facade is simply a more modern, colorful version of 100 years ago. In the middle of our main street is our pride and joy, our town clock. Which stands higher than all the surrounding buildings and at one time served as our local post office. It still strikes every hour on the hour and can be heard all through town. Now the foyer is a local art gallery, showcasing paintings of cottage country scenery instead of a large portrait of Queen Elizabeth and a mosaic of historical stamps.

At the end of our main street, is a large park, specifically touted as a war memorial, by the plaque in the far right corner and the cannons turned to statues on the far left. In the center stands the glory of all, a beautiful ornate band stand, which still on occasion hosts live bands and attracts audiences just like the days of old.

I love my town, but it holds a story ...and it all started long before I was born.

Early in the 1950's , the town was divided over a new highway being built linking one big city from the south, to another big city in the north. The plans for construction bypassed our little place on earth entirely. And while some loved this idea of not having traffic disrupting their quiet life, others felt the world was progressing and passing them by. Daniel was one of these people. Born and raised a townie and then some 25 years a hard working man, he figured his opinion was just as good as any.

Each town meeting he tried desperately to change the minds of both the town planning commission and the townsfolk alike. He argued that without the growth to the economy that a few stops for travellers in our little town would make, we would soon start to struggle.

Some agreed , but the majority wouldn't hear of city folk clogging up the main street and bringing their city ways with them.

Changing scenery is easy. Changing minds is much more difficult.

It was July 1955, and Daniel was driving down River road in his new Ford pickup truck. Business was good, being a carpenter by trade. He could build anything from a coffee table to a house. His hands just loved to create beautiful things from wood, and apparently his customers believed so too. But as great a thing as this was, Daniel was alone in his success. Opportunity to share the gratitude for his talent had never presented itself. Perhaps if it had, Daniel wouldn't have so much time for work that he did.

But on this particular day, work, and women, were the furthest thing from his mind.

The town was selling off surplus property to help pay for the new highway, and Daniel had his eyes on one parcel in particular.

It was 200 acres adjacent to the river. It was not cleared, extremely rocky soil, and frequently flooded in the spring. The area of the river was called "Devil's Elbow " by the locals as it was a sharp 90 degree turn in the flow of the water and very deep. A completely undesirable plot of real estate to most.

But to Daniel, this area was pristine, and just needed a little of his handiwork and some polish.

To his delight, the town agreed to his offer on the property, despite their smirks of how a fool and his money are soon parted. Daniel didn't give two wooden nickels about their opinion.

It was definitely a hard go at first, clearing the land while maintaining an income for himself. Folks would drive by, and slow down rubbernecking or stop altogether and point and chatter amongst themselves. A few actually asked him how big of a house he was building, and who for ? Knowing he had no wife or children. ...

"You'll see when it's finished "...was the only reply he ever gave.

In time, months had past, and winter winds began to blow. Daniel had built a tall fence around his yard with a large gate that latched and locked. Most people had long since stopped asking him what he was building, fearing he had gone slightly mad.
It was one unseasonably warm late November day, when he heard a loud knocking on the front gate. He wasn't opposed to visitors, but wasn't expecting anyone either.
The latch clicked open loudly and the hinges on the large gate creaked slightly. There stood a smiling face he had only seen in passing, her cheeks and nose rosy, and her hands clasped around a small picnic basket.

" I hope you don't mind, but I know how hard you have been working so I brought you some fresh baked cookies. They are still warm from the oven." And she smiled again, quite shyly. "I'm Sarah, by the way."

Daniel had already known her name, although not formally introduced. Sarah the seamstress, as she was known, was the proprietor of a tiny hole in the wall shop on main street with a disproportionately large picture window showcasing her wares adjacent to an ornate wooden door. Daniel had long since admired the craftsmanship of the door despite never crossing it's threshold. He had little use of the services of a seamstress , although he would admit Sarah was extremely talented at her own craft. The large shop window was always elegantly displayed with ladies dresses and coats, hats and scarves, all hand made by Sarah when not doing alterations. Widowed since the war, Sarah had done well for herself.

Apparently, she was just as good with baking as she was sewing.

"I'm not trying to be nosy," she giggled a bit when she spoke. "But I can't deny my curiosity. You used to be so active in attendance at town hall and such, and now nobody sees you outside of work. Just a neighborly check in, is all."
Daniel felt himself blushing a bit. He thought he would be more annoyed at the intrusion before his project was finished. But he wasn't.
Reaching into the basket he pulled out a warm cookie, covered in sprinkled sugar. He smiled at her taking a bite of the most delicious, melt in his mouth morsel he had ever tasted.
Complimenting his guest, he exclaimed, " These are wonderful! Just what I needed. My compliments to the chef."
He shuffled his feet a little bit, hesitating on addressing her curiosity. But to be sure, he really was starting to feel like his project needed a fresh pair of eyes, and perhaps some constructive criticism.
" Would you care to come in and see what I've been working on? Of course, I must ask you to swear not to tell a soul until it's finished. " Daniel moved aside from blocking the entrance and allowed the gate to swing open freely.
Sarah almost jumped with delight. " I'd certainly love to!" She brushed past him leaving the scent of fresh cookies and lavender hanging in the air.
The sun was just beginning to set in the late afternoon sky but it was already casting an orange glow on many tiny windows.

Sarah, simply blinked in wonderment. Her mouth agape at the sight in front of her.
"It's truly amazing, although it could use some paint. It needs more color. But what is this all for Daniel? "
Wiping a few cookie crumbs from his mouth, he bent down a bit and whispered in her ear. Despite there being nobody else around, secrets were still meant to be whispered.
( Continued next post )

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sarah's eyes lit up and she smiled the happiest smile ever.
"There is so much to do! You can't possibly do it all yourself in time!"
Daniel nodded, knowing there are only so many hours in the day, and his time was running out fast.
"No worries," Sarah headed back for the gate. "I know exactly what to do." And with that she put a finger to her lips swearing secrecy, while committing herself fully to the task at hand.

With the days growing colder and shorter, Daniel feared he wouldn't be finished in time. But true to her word, Sarah had come by whenever she could. They painted the wood bright colors. She stitched and hung curtains in the many windows. She crafted pillows and blankets for the furniture. And always, always, she brought fresh baked cookies. A different kind every time. Daniel was getting fat. But he was happy.

December 23.
The final council meeting for the year was already underway, when Daniel walked in, shaking the snowflakes off his new red coat as he walked towards the podium. Sarah shuffled in behind him, taking the first available empty chair. She knew this was to be his moment of glory and she was to be but a spectator.
The chatter in the room became silent as Daniel spoke,
"Mr. Mayor, with all due respect I wish to say a few words to the council and the residents present."
The mayor, looking slightly puzzled, murmured something about not proper agenda protocol, but nodded regardless, "Very well then. You have 5 minutes."
Daniel turned to the many faces that now hung onto whatever he was about to say. Some looked inquisitive , some scornful. He knew both sides of the town fence were present. But he hoped what he had to say would sweeten some of the sour faces.

"I know I may not see eye to eye with some of you, and that's alright. At the end of the day I'd like to think all of us have our hearts in the right place and we care about what is best for our town and our families. I can understand preserving tradition as much as I can making progress. And in my own way I've tried to incorporate both into a little project I've been working on. Now I know you all are curious, but I can't really tell you all what it is. I need to show you. So please folks, I invite you all to my property on River road at seven o'clock Christmas eve. Bring your family, your friends, everyone is welcome. Ms.Sarah has graciously agreed with some help from the ladies auxiliary to have fresh baked cookies and hot cider available and should you wish, a carol sing. I hope to see many of you there. Thank you, and good evening. "
And with that, he rushed straight out the hall doors without waiting for a response.

December 24th, morning
And so it was on this particular momentous day, that Sarah noticed Daniel had built something new. Slightly larger than the others. There was a sign out front of it covered with an old tablecloth.
"What is this one going to be ?" She asked, noticing his mischievous grin.
And with that, he tore the cloth away revealing the elaborately carved gesture of gratitude.
SARAH'S BAKERY
She ran up to him, hugging him tightly and kissing him on the cheek.
Daniel was all smiles.

December 24th, Christmas eve
The gently falling snow collected on the evergreen trees and brightly shining lights and decorations on either side of the big gate. Daniel was so nervous. What if everyone hated what he had worked so hard to build? He quickly shook the thought off. Looking dapper in his new red suit and hat, he peered through the slightly open latch.
There were dozens of people. More than he could count! There were children and grandparents, businessmen and blue collar folks. Even the mayor was front and center.
It was showtime.
He glanced over his shoulder at Sarah, dressed festively in a long red velvet gown and cloak, and gave her a wink and a nod, as he threw open the gate.
"Welcome, welcome everyone!
Allow me to show you our new and hopefully "approved" tourist attraction.
Being that our little town lies directly half way from the equator to the north pole, I believe Santa Claus needs a bit of a rest on his journey. I have provided all the amenities as such for he, and his helpers, to enjoy all the comforts that cottage country provides. Please, ladies and gentlemen, step inside."

Daniel stood aside as a parade of townspeople ushered by him, anxious to get a glimpse of this whimsical place he had hidden away for months.
There, before them stood a small village. Tiny cabins big enough to walk into but not much else. There was a post office, a church , a school house, a general store, a cafe, and a live in cabin with a stone fireplace and chimney. There was a wood shop, and a toy store, filled with handmade wooden toys no less! And more so, Daniel had built a small scale wooden train complete with caboose! It was all the perfect size for a playground filled with children.

The "Oh's,Ah's" and laughter of delighted children filled all the empty spaces that had been waiting to be celebrated.
Each cabin had been carefully decorated by Sarah for the season. It was a Christmas village perfect for Santa Claus and his elves.
Adults were admiring the craftsmanship and decor, while children dashed for the train and toy store. Cookies and hot cider were passed around to all until there was nothing left.
Daniel stood by and watched it all play out like a movie on the silver screen. It was only when the mayor tapped him on the shoulder that he snapped back to reality.
"Good god man," he boasted "You have done something unique and amazing here. I have no idea exactly how we are going to get people in here to see and enjoy this after this evening, but you can be sure you will have the full backing of the town council to do so. I'll see to it myself! A fine idea Daniel! " And with that he patted him on the back and went off in search of his wife.
A tear welled up in Daniel's eye and before he could wipe it away, Sarah's hand brushed against his cheek.
"We did it, Santa... " she giggled and hugged him.
"Yes, Mrs.Claus , we did." and he kissed her right on the tip of her cherry nose.
With a twinkle in her eye, Sarah began to sing..."We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you and Merry Christmas. ..." and the crowd happily joined in with glowing faces of the merriment of the season.
"Merry Christmas to all!" Daniel bellowed, "And to all ,a good night!"
From that first celebration , Daniel's vision grew bigger and better every year. With the help of many elves his tradition of bringing joy to our town, and prosperity, lives on to this day.
Santa's Village, draws people in between driving from one big city in the south, to one big city in the north and remains the delight of all adults and children alike.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Apologies, in advance for the format of the story appearing as a " wall of text". My tablet simply lacks the ability to properly edit the appearance .

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

l truly enjoyed the adventure of reading your story.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 06:55 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
A nice story AD in which I'll add some of my own Oh's and Ahh's to.

Good luck in the contest,
Johnny

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Wonderfully done.

Transported me right to that gate and I was as delighted when it opened as one of the townspeople..

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Wonderfully done.

Transported me right to that gate and I was as delighted when it opened as one of the townspeople..

Thank you ! That is exactly what I was striving for.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
A nice story AD in which I'll add some of my own Oh's and Ahh's to.

Good luck in the contest,
Johnny

Thank you Johnny, and I so much appreciate your work and creativity with contest memes!
Great job, sir 👍👍

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Awesome job! That was a good read and made me nostalgic for quiet small town life. Back when you interacted with more than your immediate neighbors and looked out for one another.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What a sweet story!

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Imperator2

Awesome job! That was a good read and made me nostalgic for quiet small town life. Back when you interacted with more than your immediate neighbors and looked out for one another.

Thank you.❤ This story is based on my hometown.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

What a sweet story!

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 01:51 PM
link   
A warming story well written. At first I though he was building an ark, but wrong season for that. Then I thought it must be a theatre to bring everyone together and bring in tourists. Finally I thought it must be a nativity scene, on Christmas eve? Surely! Nope, wrong on all three guesses.

posted on Dec, 2 2021 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerraLiga
A warming story well written. At first I though he was building an ark, but wrong season for that. Then I thought it must be a theatre to bring everyone together and bring in tourists. Finally I thought it must be a nativity scene, on Christmas eve? Surely! Nope, wrong on all three guesses.

I'm glad to hear that I kept the suspense up. 😊👍

posted on Dec, 4 2021 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Heartwarming and charming
sure glad Sarah showed up when she did, Daniel was never going to get anywhere without her!

posted on Dec, 4 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Heartwarming and charming
sure glad Sarah showed up when she did, Daniel was never going to get anywhere without her!

😊👍

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 04:54 PM
link   

What a wonderful story!

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

What a wonderful story!

Thank you!😌